“That’s him,” shouted the woman in the Walmart parking lot near Aero Drive and Interstate 15. Seconds later, Jeffrey Saikali felt a car bump him in the back of the legs. “I swept my arm around and pounded once on the hood of the car,” he says. “Just then, the woman jumped on me from behind.” The motion of his arm brushed the woman off, too, Saikali says, and she went down. “The next thing I know, the driver, a very big guy, is out of the car and has me down. He proceeds to choke me and beat the top and back of my head, driving my face into the pavement. All the while he’s berating me with profanities. Before long I was lying in a pool of my own blood. I thought I was being murdered. There were people who had gathered around to watch, and the woman was bragging to them that the attacker was a martial arts expert. I cried out for someone to help me. But the most anyone would do was to warn my assailant to stop because if he killed me things would go very badly for him.”

A verbal dispute inside of Fry’s Electronics led to Jeffrey Saikali being beaten in the parking lot across the street.

Moments earlier, Saikali and his female antagonist had been in a verbal dispute in Fry’s Electronics across Stonecrest Boulevard to the south. It was about 7:30 in the evening on Saturday, April 13, 2013. Saikali had gone to shop in the store and was speaking with a salesman. He had already put a few items into a cart that was standing nearby. He noticed that a woman began walking away with the cart. He let her know, and the woman apologized. Saikali figured the incident was over. But, he recalls, the woman came closer and insisted that his proper response to her apology should have been, “That’s okay.” Saikali says he told the woman, “You said you were sorry; the matter is done with.” He then went on talking with the salesman.

But the woman approached and pointed her smartphone at Saikali, announcing that he was being recorded. Saikali says he placed an envelope between her camera lens and his face. “When she maneuvered for a better angle, I moved the cellphone aside. She then began screaming that I hit her.”

A man Saikali took to be a security officer quickly appeared. The man asked Saikali to step into another aisle while he spoke with the woman. After waiting longer than he thought was reasonable, Saikali decided to leave the store. As he walked out the doors, he says, he heard the woman call out, “You have to stop him.” But he says no store employees complied. The woman then followed Saikali through the Fry’s parking lot. Saikali says he deliberately kept walking forward without looking back.

He walked almost as far as the front door of the Walmart store across the street, where he reversed his course. He could hear the woman calling someone on the phone to hurry and come.

“I sensed from voices around that other people were joining her,” says Saikali. “Now the woman also shouted that I had thrown her down.”

A light-gray car approached and passed him in the parking lot. Saikali says he could hear the car turn around behind him as the woman identified him to its driver. He maintains that during the beating he then endured, police officers arrived but did not intervene, allowing the assailant to continue briefly before stopping on his own. Police then handcuffed Saikali and stood him against a patrol car. “I could barely stand,” he says. Eventually, police put him in the car and an officer came to ask for his account of what happened. “But the officer did not take notes or use a recorder,” he says.

A cop with a bad rep

One of the first things Saikali told police was that he needed medical attention and wanted to be sent to the hospital. He says they told him he didn’t need it. But an ambulance did arrive shortly. Saikali’s eyeglasses had been destroyed in the beating, and he says he could barely make out people talking behind the ambulance’s open doors a short distance away. Soon it drove away without its attendants examining Saikali.

Sergeant Kenneth Davis

After his continued insistence on going to the hospital, a second ambulance appeared, and attendants examined Saikali inside it. Sergeant Kenneth Davis then entered and issued Saikali a misdemeanor citation for “battery on a person.” Saikali says he requested of Davis several things, starting with an explanation of what the citation was for. But the officer refused to answer.

Video:

Jeffrey Sakali talks about the Murphy Canyon incident

Jeffrey Sakali returns to the Fry's parking lot where he had been in an physical altercation with two strangers, beaten by one of them, and then subsequently detained by Sergeant Kenneth Davis.

Was the man who beat Saikali also issued a citation? No. Could Saikali press charges against the man? No.

Davis then left the ambulance but not before becoming candid on one point. “He told me that I deserved my injuries,” Saikali says.

Sergeant Davis is already known in town for behavior ranging from questionable detainment to criminal stalking. In 2007, a lawsuit was filed against Davis in federal court for malicious prosecution. Southeast San Diego resident Melford Wilson had objected loudly and with obscene language to a drug investigation Davis was conducting in the neighborhood. The officer arrested Wilson for obstructing the search. After Wilson sued, the city attorney’s office was able to have the charges dismissed. But a 2011 appeal in the U.S. Appellate Court’s Ninth Circuit resulted in the judgment being reversed. A key issue in the case was Wilson’s constitutional right of free speech. But after the case was remanded to the district court, a second jury exonerated Davis again.

That same year, however, Davis didn’t fare as well. In the spring, he was charged with felony stalking against fellow officer Robin Hayes and was put on a three-year administrative leave. In a preliminary hearing, Hayes testified that Davis had also threatened to kill her. Through plea bargaining, Davis was eventually allowed to plead guilty to misdemeanor stalking. On October 13, 2011, after his trial concluded, NBC San Diego ran a story headlined, “Officer Stalks and Walks Free.” Davis soon was back at work on the streets.

Comments

eastlaker July 2, 2014 @ 1:39 p.m.

My question would be, does the couple involved have any history of this type of behavior? Because it would seem to be very unusual, and possibly indicative of prior history.

Saikali July 2, 2014 @ 1:56 p.m.

"eastlaker," I am the man who was attacked and beaten. I do not know whether the couple has a history of this, but I have always guessed that myself. The woman clearly was intent on starting a disagreement. SHE was wrong to take the shopping cart, but I thought nothing of it when it happened because it is something that happens to all of us at various times. When it does, you apologize and move on. For her to make that demeaning comment to me and then get out her telephone to record me while making antagonistic statements shows her intent to cause a big altercation.

Worse, putting the telephone at my face was menacing. No woman in our society would be expected to put up with that kind of abuse from anyone else. It is illegal to menace someone, and it was lawful of me to move the phone from my face.

Something not fully emphasized in the article is that this woman followed me by herself through the dark parking lot of Fry's Electronics, across the darker Stonecrest Boulevard, and into the dark parking lot of Walmart. She evidently was NOT afraid of me.

Also, when that car of her male companion arrived in the Walmart parking lot, and, at her direction, the male driver hit me with it, it became clear that the person she had been on the phone with while following me from Fry's to Walmart was that man. If she had been afraid, why did she not spend that time calling police? I suspect she has a habit of getting the man to beat up people.

Moreover, right after the man hit me, why did SHE immediately then jump on me from behind? Supposedly she was afraid of me.

For the above reasons, I have always felt that the whole situation was some kind of set up.

Also not mentioned in the article is that she tried to get money out of Fry's Electronics out of all of this. How do I know that? Chubb Services Corporation (the security company representing Fry's Electronics) sent me a letter dated 2013-05-06 in which I was asked to call about "Christine", who the letter identified as the woman I supposedly was representing. Someone at the company mistakenly thought that I represented the woman who attacked me. It could be that these two people pull these stunts and then try to profit financially. Had police been interested in doing a legitimate investigation, they surely would have explored your question.

eastlaker July 2, 2014 @ 3 p.m.

The scenario you describe--a "set-up"--is exactly what I was thinking. One would think that it would be in the interest of merchants, corporate heads and local law enforcement to act in such a manner as to discourage assault and attempted extortion.

In addition, I would hope that San Diego Police would be a bit smarter about this sort of thing.

I have no legal training of any kind, but as an informal student of human behavior, what I am concluding is that this pair might have some aliases and they very well might do this sort of thing for a living.

Saikali July 2, 2014 @ 3:34 p.m.

"eastlaker" thanks for your comments. The police knew very well what they were doing. According to the Incident History document, there were 7 cops on the scene. The Reader article only mentions KEN DAVIS, because he was the worst of the Gang of 7 (Davis, Cooper, Taitague, Spencer, Shebloski, Wells, Ansari), but any of Davis' six accomplices could have done the right thing and refused to go along with this effort to frame me and cite me for my own attempted murder.

Some worthwhile questions to ask are, had this case instead been about a woman being raped in a public parking lot in view of police, would police have watched with glee? When police finally decided to get involved, would they have handcuffed the raped woman? Would they have forced her to remain lying in her own blood in front of her attackers and the bystanders to humiliate her, all the while providing comfort to the people who just raped her? Would they have denied her medical care for an hour, while giving immediate medical care to the people who just raped her? Would they have refused to cite the rapists, and protected them from legal action? When this hypothetical raped woman was eventually allowed to have medical treatment in an ambulance, would a cop have come inside, cited the woman for her own rape and told her that she deserved to be raped and deserved her injuries?

If instead of me, a man, the person attacked and beaten in this case had been a woman, a child, an elderly person, a person in a wheelchair or even a domesticated animal, would police have behaved as they did toward me?

eastlaker July 3, 2014 @ 3:30 p.m.

Mr. Saikali, I hope that you are able to find some help in researching the individuals who set upon you. Documenting more than one case should certainly bring much-needed attention to what has happened, and force SDPD into at least responding to you in an above-board manner.

Saikali July 5, 2014 @ 10:46 a.m.

“eastlaker”, thank you very much for your comments. William Lansdowne and his replacement Shelley Zimmerman have kept secret the police report (which should include the identities of the perpetrators and witnesses). The two chiefs have obstructed justice in this and other ways, but this is normal in a police state.

Evidence police mistakenly did hand over identified — , but criminal charges against her male accomplice and her can only be brought by a prosecutor’s office, not a member of the public. That has not happened because district attorney BONNIE DUMANIS, in her own obstruction of justice, has protected the two perpetrators and refused to respond to communication.

Additionally, Dumanis and city attorney JAN GOLDSMITH have protected Ken Davis and the rest of the SDPD Gang of 7, thus enabling them to continue framing people. The INNOCENCE PROJECT has endless cases of wrongly accused individuals -- proven innocent years (often decades) later by DNA and other evidence -- on its plate because of cops and prosecutors illegally withholding exculpatory evidence (such as the Fry's and Walmart videos in my case) and participating in schemes to accuse the innocent. (See innocenceproject . org [Remove spaces]).

A system that is crooked by design will not correct itself. Zimmerman has tried to fool the public into trusting the SDPD by saying that cops will start wearing cameras. The public should be aware that any videos will be under the control of government and used to help shield police from prosecution, not to assist those harmed by cops. The SDPD will be able to edit or conveniently lose those videos when it benefits them. I have yet to hear Zimmerman say anything about getting rid of the SDPD Gang of 7 and others like them, nor has she said that only civilized people will be hired as cops in the future.

PrescottAuburn July 7, 2014 @ 2:11 p.m.

"Set up" is exactly what I was thinking, as soon as I finished the article, last night. The question could be why. I too have an afro. With lighter skin, when I studied Buddhism, and shaved my head, the first "Zen Lesson" I had, was the way I was suddenly treated so differently, that Skinheads started giving me the "Homie Nod". lol. Well, maybe not so lol. I had a hunch and went back and checked my records. I was having phone trouble, and went to THAT Fry's that weekend. (Can't find if it was Sat. or Sun.) I know I didn't buy anything, 'cause they didn't have what I needed, so I took the bus home. I don't know how to put this. Short version: I worked in Sorrento Valley with a former party pal of Dubya's. He then, '85, reported drug and alcohol abuse. I've had death threats and such ever since. Once or twice, I've seen stories, where someone matching my description, was ...well suffered a "suicide", that was not investigated in one case. Another was murdered. I don't know. Something weird here. Could be a coincidence. Could be...

CaptainObvious July 2, 2014 @ 5:21 p.m.

The store should have internal security cameras, what did they show? Get a lawyer if your statement is accurate, and investigate.

Saikali July 2, 2014 @ 5:36 p.m.

"CaptainObvious", legal letters dated 2013-04-19 (6 days after the beating) were sent by certified mail to Fry's Electronics and to Walmart so that the security video recordings of the events would be indefinitely retained. However, as the article stated, I was informed by both stores that only police are allowed to see security recordings, and I of course received no assistance from police in that regard.

For over a year I have been inviting the people (police, prosecutors, and others in government) who have access to the videos to look at them. All of my requests have been ignored.

I would appreciate a qualified lawyer's involvement on my behalf. This is a case of serious violations of law by police (as well as the two assailants who police have been protecting from legal action for the past year+). What I have found, unfortunately, is that people generally are not so interested in a case of a police-approved attempted murder of an innocent man. As mentioned elsewhere, this would be handled far differently if it were a woman who had been attacked and beaten up as I was.

Wabbitsd July 2, 2014 @ 7:53 p.m.

I would just venture a guess that "Christine's" husband might just be a police officer himself, stationed up the hill from the WalMart on Aero Drive. I am disappointed that WalMart and Fry's are both cooperating in hiding these cowards by not allowing you to have the tapes.

I am also disappointed that Ms. Zimmerman is continuing the stonewalling.

Saikali July 2, 2014 @ 8:37 p.m.

"Wabbitsd", thank you for your comments, and you bring up an interesting suggestion about the male attacker.

Regarding Shelley Zimmerman, an SDPD insider who took over as SDPD chief when William Lansdowne suddenly "retired" at the end of February 2014, she is no better than Lansdowne. City leaders hoped to fool the public into thinking that abuses by police would end if a woman were at the helm. In her four months as chief, Zimmerman has shown that it is dirty business as usual at the SDPD.

On 2014-05-06 at a public forum on the SDPD, I spoke about the beating I was subjected to and the abuses by police that followed. Shelley Zimmerman, who brought a slew of uniformed cops to the event to intimidate attendees, was sitting in the front row. If there were any decency about her, she would have approached me that evening and expressed specific action she would take to get this matter rectified. She did nothing of the sort. That did not surprise me. Anytime someone at the top of a corrupt organization publicly says that she wants her people to be investigated (as Zimmerman has been doing for months), you can count on the investigation being simply another cover-up.

The current Department of Justice (DOJ) investigation into the SDPD will yield nothing but more creative ways for cops to get away with their abuses. The DOJ appointed the Police Executive Research Foundation (PERF) to handle the matter. As its executive director, Chuck Wexler, said at that public forum on 2014-05-06, PERF was not retained to investigate past abuses, but just to tell the SDPD what they are doing well at and make some suggestions for improvements to policy. Policy is only part of the problem. Crucial is what goes on in practice and how indecent acts by police are always covered up by Internal Affairs, the Citizens' Review Board, and the rest of government.

It was pointed out to me that PERF's Chuck Wexler has a cozy relationship with Jerry Sanders (former SDPD chief and then mayor) and William Lansdowne. See a Voice of San Diego article posted 2014-06-25 at [remove spaces to make link work]... voiceofsandiego . org / 2014 / 06 / 25 / firm-investigating-sdpd-has-strong-ties-to-ex-chiefs/

Visduh July 3, 2014 @ 12:06 p.m.

None of this is surprising to me. It is a little surprising to find it in a Reader cover story. Joe, if you frequent San Diego, you best watch your butt. The SDPD will be looking for you and could invent some crime for which to arrest you.

The SDPD has some high spots. It did a good job with the VanDam murder and with nailing Westerfield. But on a day-to-day basis, it has never been well run, and often does a poor job of fulfilling its mission of protecting and serving. Going all the way back to Hoobler in the early 70's, it has been poorly led. Kolender, Burgreen, Sanders, Bejarano, and Lansdowne (I may have missed one) were all cut of the same cloth and ran the same kind of department.

This new chief will likely just continue the old ways. The review board is powerless, and the internal affairs department has the job of keeping the lid on abuse. If either had been on the job, Arevalos would have been stopped and purged from the ranks long before the abuses that got him fired and imprisoned, and which are now costing the city millions.

While I tend to agree that most of the cops are honest and try to do the job that the city and its residents expect, the code of silence and the unwillingness of so many of them to speak out against abusers in the ranks undermines confidence. Just promoting another one of 'em from the ranks will not reform a deeply dysfunctional department.

Saikali July 5, 2014 @ 10:16 a.m.

"Visduh", thank you for your comments. It is not surprising that cops and prosecutors might behave properly in high-profile capital cases, since they know the news media is watching closely. Bonnie Dumanis, Bill Gore, and William Lansdowne have personally appeared in frequent news conferences about those cases at such times -- Dumanis and Gore especially when an election was coming up. Yet, reporters usually are not present when cops interact with the public, and cops (and prosecutors too) normally lie to cover for each other. Oddly, the general public seems to be ok with that.

Shelley Zimmerman indeed has shown herself to be just a reincarnation of Lansdowne. Any decent cop or prosecutor who wants to speak out about corruption in their ranks ought to promptly do so or promptly resign. By supporting a "code of silence", they are no better than those who their silence protects.

Missionaccomplished July 5, 2014 @ 6:24 p.m.

And apparently they blew the Belevedere Christmas Eve killing.

I also recall when some guy approached Bejarano's daughter in a Dept Store. He was almost immediately arrested.

klsandiego July 4, 2014 @ 6:41 p.m.

Just finished reading the whole story in the Reader. I found it completely appalling. Basically an out-of-control woman escalates a verbal disagreement by sicking her psycho male companion to assault Mr. Saikali with a vehicle, as well as his fists, then jumps on the victim's back causing herself to sustain an injury resulting from her own negligence. And San Diego police charge Mr. Saikali? Reaaaal nice.

Clearly Saikali should have retained an attorney the second after it all went down and it became clear that SPDP was going to railroad him. The officers involved in the original case and IA complaint sounded like they were completely incompetent to even return a phone call from Saikali, much less conduct a proper police investigation. I hope the DA's office has a tad more ability to do what we pay them for, but after hearing this story I doubt any section of the SD government does.

Here's a clue for detectives, go to Frye's and Wally World, pull the security tapes, and see if any attack was done by Mr. Saikali. There, was that so hard?

After reading the other comments, edited to add: Mr. Saikali stop trying to conduct this investigation yourself and hire a criminal defense attorney. A retainer will cost money, but nothing like having a felony battery conviction will cost you in the long run. An attorney can get info and movement on the case you can't.

Visduh July 5, 2014 @ 7:26 a.m.

Yes, he needs a good attorney. But he needs one (or two) because he has a defense need, and also wants to pursue a complaint. Those are actually two separate, if inexorably linked, matters.

But don't confuse the inaction by Internal Affairs with incompetence. The inaction is by design. "Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil."

Saikali July 5, 2014 @ 11 a.m.

“klsandiego”, thank you very much for commenting. The woman (Christine) should have been cited and arrested for assault, felony battery, slander, arousing a mob to commit murder, conspiracy to commit murder, and hate crimes. Her male accomplice should have been cited and arrested for assault with a deadly weapon (vehicular hit), felony battery, conspiracy to commit murder, attempted murder, and hate crimes. Instead, the bigoted SDPD Gang of 7 cops praised these two for their crimes and covered for them by citing me.

The SDPD and district attorney’s office have worked in concert to cover this up. This kind of thing happens a lot, only the public rarely hears about it. Since the courts are prone to protect cops, attorneys thus far have been unwilling to take the case. Moreover, an innocent man getting horrifically beaten apparently does not garner the public empathy that a woman in the same (or far less serious) circumstance would -- even worse for a dark-skinned man.

I have been asking for the videos for over a year. Police and prosecutors are not interested in them because they will show that the male-hating woman (Christine) started all of this and lied about what occurred.

klsandiego July 5, 2014 @ 4:03 p.m.

Mr. Saikali, I have no reason to doubt anything you have stated here. I still urge you to seek out counsel. Police and the DA can stonewall lowly citizens like us. But an attorney representing you will be able to make things happen. Don't ask me why there's a double-standard, there just is. I know this first-hand, having been a victim of false allegations myself, and having a good attorney saved my backside. As a minority it's clear you know the odds are stacked against you. You need the best defense you can afford. If the DA prosecutes and wins, that opens you up to civil litigation for damages as well. I admire and respect your willingness to fight this battle on your own, but now is not the time for that. E-mail me and I can give you the info for my attorney who was outstanding.

FYI a good law office will also know private investigators they can leverage to seek out surveillance tapes, witnesses, etc. to further bolster your case. You don't need to do this all yourself man, hire professionals.

Missionaccomplished July 5, 2014 @ 6:27 p.m.

Why hate crime? Were racial or ethnic epithets involved on their part?

Saikali July 7, 2014 @ 8:10 a.m.

Note: The first (and only) time I ever heard anything about the female attacker supposedly having a broken wrist was in the 2013-09-16 letter (referred to in the Reader article) from the district attorney's office.

The same letter (unsigned and lacking the name of its author) from the Special Operations division of the DA's office says nothing about my injuries (at least two of which are permanent), says nothing about the fact that the female attacker instigated this whole matter, and says nothing about the multiple crimes that her male accomplice and she engaged in during the events leading to and involved in this police-approved attempted murder.

In the hospital, while I was on a gurney with an orderly in a hallway awaiting an examination room, a woman on a gurney was wheeled past me. At that time, I heard its female occupant talking aloud about her man being a martial arts expert, but I have never said that I heard anything in the hospital about "Christine" supposedly having a broken wrist.

Noteworthy is the extent to which police discouraged me from having my severe injuries examined and treated. At the scene, I was denied any medical attention for about an hour (according to times recorded on various documents) despite an ambulance being on the scene and despite my repeated requests from the time that the first of SDPD’s bigoted Gang of 7 members arrived. That was a violation of basic human and civil rights. After the first ambulance left, I had to continue asking for medical care before one cop finally relented and summoned another ambulance. When it arrived, cops persisted in “advising” me to NOT be seen by any medical personnel before finally allowing me to struggle on my own to get from the police car to the ambulance. One cop actually volunteered his assessment that I did not have a concussion. Upon my inquiry, he admitted that he was not a medical professional. That the conduct of the cops was saturated in hate is confirmed by SDPD Internal Affairs falsely stating on its 2013-08-02 Complaint Control Form that I was never injured in this matter.

elvishasleftsandiego July 5, 2014 @ 5:04 p.m.

Interesting story. Don't know what to make of it other than you got screwed by the system, big time. Any chance your assailant might have been an off duty cop? That seems possible, since you still don't have the identity of your attacker. That would certainly explain what is obviously a cover up. Good luck with your case. Keep at it. Make sure they know you're not going away.

Saikali July 5, 2014 @ 5:53 p.m.

"elvishasleftsandiego", thank you for your comments. Another reader made the same suggestion, that the male perpetrator may be a cop himself. If true, it is easy to envision other cops taking pleasure in watching one of their own in the process of murdering an innocent person and then lying to cover for that colleague.

I do not know whether the male attacker was a cop. I do know that the uniformed cops who arrived made no effort to urgently intervene in the vicious beating, during all of which I was face-down flat on the pavement. There were no sounds of screeching police cars, no sounds of cops identifying themselves, no sounds of cops shouting to the perpetrators to stop, and cops did not yank these people off of my person. To police, this apparently was quite entertaining.

Missionaccomplished July 5, 2014 @ 6:29 p.m.

Being in a situation where one is suddenly beaten, I don't think one would be listening for particular sounds in my immediate area as my first priority. That said, I understand your point and sincerely hope you can advance with this case.

Wabbitsd July 8, 2014 @ 10:46 a.m.

I am very concerned about Fry's and WalMart's lack of concern for the safety of their shoppers in not cooperating with this investigation. May I suggest anyone else who has similar concerns take up a phone, call the two managers of these stores, and ask why they are not providing the security footage to this man as requested? I also suggest mentioning that you will not be shopping at these locations until a resolution of this problem. Maybe Mr. Saikali was not blameless in this altercation, but I think we all deserve a better response than what has been given so far from Ms. Zimmerman, the entire San Diego Police Department, and these two retail establishments, at the very least.

Mr. Davis certainly has his issues, and if he continues to abuse his position, there certainly seems to be a pattern that a good, determined, high profile attorney might take great glee in exploiting. Ms. Gloria Allred comes to my mind immediately.

Saikali July 9, 2014 @ 6:47 p.m.

Regarding "Murphy Canyon Mystery",

1) STEREOTYPES/PREJUDICE. Society is deluged with perceptions that females are always victims and males are always villains. These stereotypes must end. The acceptance of females falsely accusing males and police presumptions of male guilt also must end. There are numerous examples of innocent men imprisoned until their convictions were overturned due to DNA and other evidence and help from the Innocence Project or other. Many cases involved females fabricating/embellishing stories or instigating violence and then playing a victim (with self-inflicted harm). Violence against males by female aggressors occurs far more than is reported, but research exposing this is beyond the political agendas of most governmental, educational, and private entities. These abuses are treated as funny by entertainment media instead of decried.

2) MENACING WITH DEVICES. Cop KEN DAVIS [...] indicated that a man who moves a device of a dangerous woman from his face deserves to be killed. None of the rest of the SDPD Gang of 7 objected to Davis’ hateful comments, nor did they stop Davis from citing me. It stands to reason, then, that cops should welcome people shoving devices in their faces, taunting them, and being menacing, right? See this link for an SDPD cop beating someone up for doing far less and the cop calling a phone a “weapon”: link text

3) POLICE MISCONDUCT/COVER-UPS. The legal system allows cops to falsely cite anyone and protects them under “qualified immunity”. The system assumes an accused person from the non-elite is likely guilty, and police are given a wink to go on running the streets however they wish. Police tampering with, planting, or ignoring evidence, beating people, lying, extorting, committing sexual attacks, and murdering are protectable acts by police unions. An example is the police execution of Kelly Thomas: link text

The idea that police have stress and so they need to commit crimes defies reason. On that basis, iron workers, tax accountants, and others should be so privileged. Far too many police are hot-tempered and treat the public as subservient to them. In reaction, some in the public assume the role of sycophant.

To say it is ok for police to lie for each other to cover up crimes also lacks reason. Almost anytime we in the public interact with government, we are forced to sign our names under penalty of perjury. Meanwhile, those in government are not required to do the same, and can lie with impunity. Cover-ups by cops and prosecutors to protect cops who commit domestic violence was investigated by Frontline: link text

continued...

Saikali July 9, 2014 @ 6:49 p.m.

...continued

4) FALSELY CITING A VICTIM. Felony battery is the wilful, unlawful infliction of force/violence that causes serious damage to physical condition. Police did not cite/arrest the male-female team of perpetrators with felony battery for the acute bodily injuries they caused me. Instead, consistent with a pattern of hate, the SDPD cited me for misdemeanor battery and then secretly raised it to felony battery. No reason was ever provided to me for either citation. The custom of issuing bogus citations must end. Police should be obliged to quickly supply the accused with a written, specific basis for a citation or they should suffer the maximum penalty their false accusation deserves. With baseless accusations, the district attorney’s office rejected the case against me and no charges were filed in court against me.

SDPD deliberately citing the victim in this case served two depraved purposes:

a. It kept police and the perpetrators of my beating from prosecution, as Oscar GARCIA (deputy district attorney) said my being cited made all other facts irrelevant, and then ended the call; and

b. It denied me access to the legal system of assistance normally due a victim. On this, Cynthia CHARLEBOIS, who heads the victim assistance unit in the district attorney’s office, said that I was not a victim in my horrific beating. Internal Affairs stated likewise on its falsified Complaint Control Form (shown in Deegan's article), while admitting possession of photographs (including those taken by police at the scene and a nurse at Sharp Memorial Hospital that night) of severe injuries to my head, face, eyes, and body from the beating. I asked Charlebois if she would say that to a woman who was raped before bystanders and who police watched with glee being raped. Charlebois ended the call. Paul AZEVEDO, chief of the district attorney’s special operations division, backed Charlebois and was silent when faced with the same question.

Investigatory work is arduous. It demands an unbiased style, rejects premature conclusions, carefully seeks all evidence, and examines evidence with a desire for truth. It does not try to force evidence to conform to assumptions. It should not be about laziness or bigotry. SDPD’s [...] Ken DAVIS (#4319) and his accomplices (Eric COOPER #6523, Geraldine TAITAGUE #6151, Kristopher SPENCER #6811, Stephen SHEBLOSKI #5317, Adam WELLS #6204, Addam ANSARI #6865) who comprise the Gang of 7 showed no interest in legitimate investigatory work. Add Internal Affairs’ cover-up artists Tim SALENS and Shawn TAKEUCHI to that list.

Yet, these actors operate with the blessings of Kevin FAULCONER (mayor), Todd GLORIA (city council president, past interim mayor), William LANSDOWNE (past police chief), Shelley ZIMMERMAN (police chief), Bonnie DUMANIS (district attorney), Jan GOLDSMITH (city attorney), and others in the crooked San Diego power structure who claim to be “public servants”.

Ken Harrison July 10, 2014 @ 7:49 a.m.

Saikaki - While I wanted to believe your story, your now (in comments) rants against "The System" (Lansdowne, Zimmerman, Dumanis, et al) doesn't bode well in the court of public opinion. You have elevated your plight from what was originally in the article - seeking justice for yourself, righting a wrong - to now in your comments blaming everyone from the mayor to the clerk at Fryes. Your original story now has zero credibility as it appears you used the reporter to go after a higher cause.

If you truly want individual justice and compensation for yourself, it can be done lawyer-less in Small Claims Court, where, for less than $100, sue Frys, subpoena them for records relating to the case prior to the trial, and subpoena the clerk to appear. His testimony of the first minute of your altercation is what will decide the case. (One can sue in SC for up to $7,500 for medical bills/lost wages, can't sue for pain and suffering.)

The subpoena records will also contain info on John Doe and "Christine" Doe, which might help you follow up with the agencies you claim have rallied against you.

I do commend you however, for not making race part of the on-going story. It doesn't matter in this case, and you're obviously intelligent enough to know that. Hope you find the true justice you seek, reminder that "justice" also aligns itself with "understanding" and "harmony" as its companions.

Saikali July 10, 2014 @ 11:30 a.m.

"Ken Harrison", there is far more to the story than The Reader article had room for. That is why I revealed more information in comments. Mr. Deegan was not "used". I gave him my account, answered his many questions, and turned over supporting documentation. Another of The San Diego Reader's senior staff members also interviewed me. My account of the events has not wavered. It was up to Mr. Deegan and his editors to decide whether to report on this.

When wrongs occur, it is easy to complain without making effort to inform people in authority. The individuals mentioned ("Lansdowne, Zimmerman, Dumanis, et al", as you put it) were contacted or closely involved. They have had ample time over the past 15 months to respond and to, per their duties to us in the public, do their best to repair the wrongs. None have done anything of the sort. That fact is an important part of the story that readers deserved to hear.

Small claims court was not an adequate forum for this case. The maximum civil penalty (actually $10,000) would hardly address the damages and expenses incurred, the discovery process available in higher courts is not at all the same in small claims court, and the police report would not have been turned over to me. (Even if the SDPD agreed to give any part of the report to the court, names and contact details of the perpetrators and witnesses would have been blacked out).

If anyone in the "court of public opinion", as you put it, wants to disbelieve my story, that is her/his decision, but it will not be because s/he was denied information about the extent of the corruption. When public officials engage in wrong or fail to intervene in it, they deserve to be exposed. Corruption eventually harms all of us in various ways.

jnojr July 10, 2014 @ 12:43 p.m.

An incredibly one-sided tale. Where's the other side? The idea that strange women, mysterious martial-arts experts, cops, Frys, etc. are all involved in a conspiracy to screw this guy is a little far-fetched.

TheFemaleVictim July 24, 2014 @ 1:27 p.m.

Thank you, it is hard to believe the READER, Joe Deegan and it's editor would even publish such a fabricated story with out checking the facts.The so called "Victim" is 180 pounds 6"2 and I am 93 pounds 5"2,oh yeah and I am a FEMALE.

Letter to the Editor July 17, 2014 @ 10:35 a.m.

For more commentary to this article, see Letters to the Editor:

TheFemaleVictim July 24, 2014 @ 2:27 a.m.

Tell the TRUTH JEFFREY SAIKALI. You claim you were "left in a pool of your own blood" yet the picture on the cover shows scratches from me fighting you off of me in the Walmart parking lot when you threw me to ground a second time. There was not one STITCH in the photo or in your LIES. How was my wrist fractured? Why did you leave out the other man that had to hold your legs down until police arrived? Because he was a African american and the Racial card wouldn't work? How can you hear me brag that my husband was a so called "martial arts expert" from Scripps hospital when I was in Sharp? YOUR A SICK PERSON LEAVE ME ALONE!

Commenting has been disabled for this item.