The media were already publishing articles about females being sexually harassed at comic-book conventions when a 17-year-old cosplayer (going by the cosplay name of Milly Makara) was found unconscious and injured in the early-morning hours of July 26.

It was first reported that Makara was found on the roadside near the convention center, but the location changed to the pool area of the San Diego Marriott Marquis and Marina hotel.

The Polygon website quoted Justin Kalior, a 29-year-old cosplay photographer who was with Makara at the hotel, as saying, “I just wanted to call it a night and take her home to her parents and be on my way." Kalior, who was later arrested by San Diego Harbor Police, said Makara was upset with him and that he had asked security personnel about her after she ran off.

Kalior denies that he knew Makara's real age until her purse was searched by police. On the Facebook page of Jill Weyer (Makara's mother), she contradicts his story that he thought Makara was 20 years old. She suggests that Kalior indicated he knew her true age by giving her "a stuffed llama for her 17th birthday” (whether this was written in a card or text is not made clear).

Kalior was arrested when police reportedly found evidence of a sexual relationship between him and Makara. A police report mentioned by the Polygon website states, "A consensual search of Kalior's cellphone revealed a break-up text dated 7/15/14 in which he used her nick-name...and he referenced their dating relationship. A short time later, [the girl] woke up in the hospital and confirmed she and Kalior have been in a sexual/dating relationship."

Makara's parents have been criticized for allowing their daughter to date someone so much older than her. On Facebook, Weyer addresses the age difference: "And NO we did NOT know his age as we were told he was 20 by several of her cosplay friends who also knew him as 20."

When Kalior's arrest was first publicized, many people online assumed that his arrest was because he had allegedly attacked Makara. Police later stated that what happened to Makara was probably an accident: "Her injuries, and physical evidence at the scene, were consistent with a fall from the distance of approximately six feet."

After the Harbor Police statement, Weyer expressed disagreement with their investigation. "Saying my daughter fell over a gate 4 feet tall (she is 5'11) as the detective demonstrated in my living room, holding his hand to his waist saying the gate with this high..... Does not explain the injuries she sustained."

Weyer subsequently posted photos to show her daughter's injuries. "This is not a fall from a 4 foot gate..... You do not feel the pain and the bruising between your legs and inside your body that is there from sliding/or being pushed over a gate."

The media has reported that video footage was one of the things on which police based their conclusions. However, Weyer writes on Facebook, "There is no video tape of the fall…[the] detective and District Atty Office yesterday stated the case is still ongoing it was just a hypothesis."

Comments

Jay Allen Sanford Aug. 9, 2014 @ 6:40 p.m.

Two very different accounts -- the police report and the girl's mom seem to talking about completely unrelated incidents. Has the injured girl recovered enough to tell either police of her family how she ended up injured and apparently unconscious?

kaizersan Aug. 10, 2014 @ 2:55 a.m.

Yes but if you're a teen and you got drunk and hurt yourself that bad you would lie to cover it up because the Internet would never let her forget it.

Burwell Aug. 9, 2014 @ 10:56 p.m.

If Justin Kalior is prosecuted and convicted, he will almost certainly face a stiff jail sentence and registration as a sex offender.

kaizersan Aug. 10, 2014 @ 2:53 a.m.

Actually no my older brother went through something like that and he only got a year in jail and no registration.

shirleyberan Aug. 10, 2014 @ 10:27 a.m.

That's why teen agers are still under "care" of a parent.

JamieRalphGardner Aug. 12, 2014 @ 9:49 a.m.

At the Project Cosplay page on Facebook, Justin Kalior wrote that he was not going to be putting up photos from Comic-Con 2014 because of what happened to Milly Makara. The comment has disappeared and there is now a photo album of Comic-Con 2014. There are no photos of Makara in the album.

JamieRalphGardner Aug. 12, 2014 @ 12:14 p.m.

On tumblr, Milly Makara writes about the about Comic-Con incident.

Anonymous asked: Are you claiming that you were raped in your past or that you were raped during your time at Comic Con? I think people are confused about this and maybe you could help clear it up?

I have been raped in my past.. and I dont remember what happened at comic con.. the police say that I feel over a fence…. well I re went to the place they say I fell and honestly im no5 very good at climbing fences and the injuries that I have dont really happen from just falling once.. I would have had to climb the fence and then decided ” oh lets just jump head first into some rocks and roll around a bunch” to have been hurt that way..

I had an opinion from a few body gards and they have been in and broken up many fights and have seen injuries like mine and all of them said that I was hit in the face and then tryed to defend myself.. thats the only way I would have 2 black eyes and a fracture to my orbital bone..

I had 2 skull fractures just to be clear. One to the back if the head and then a fracture to my orbital bone(right eye) I also had 8 stiches to close a cut on my right eye brow. And after I was out of the hospital I had brusies that showed up a day after the event.. brusies on my arms that are the sizes of hand prints on both arms..

I would also like to just publicly say thank you to anyone and all cosplayers who defended me during this event and anyone who has wished me a speedy recovery. It really has made me feel alot better to just know that im not alone. Its great to know that the cosplay coumimity will stand together to help one another out.. I mean I knew that us cosplayers stick together and were always willing lend a helping hand to loan you our super glue or some thread and a needle to help fix a cosplay.. but really to help fight back to the san diego police department to say that this is not what happened really means alot.. and im just extremely greatful. And pround to let you guys know that I will be continuing cosplaying and working on cosplays for a while. Much love to you guys and many thanks♡♡♡♡♡♡

kaizersan Aug. 12, 2014 @ 12:25 p.m.

Considering many people who have experienced falls have said it is possible especially if she climbed it drunk her balance would have caused her to likely hit multiple things on the way down.

Jay Allen Sanford Aug. 13, 2014 @ 4:27 p.m.

75 comments and counting - cosplay related stories certainly seem to generate a lot of discussion, but for some reason these reports rarely contain positive profiles of practitioners. While this report seems fairly neutral, the followup quotes taken from the cosplayer teen's online posts would seem to tell an even more convoluted tale than was initially debated between Harbor Police and the cosplayer's mom. I'd hate to be the cop assigned to untangling this mess almost as much as I'd hate to suffer the injuries this young lady mysteriously attained, with no memory of how it happened ---