The Loma Theatre marquee came into view while snaking up Rosecrans en route to a meeting with members of the family that owns The Ken Cinema. Now Playing: “Barnes & Noble” and “10% Off On All New Releases.”

We cannot allow such a fate to befall The Ken.

Before proceeding to my iPhoto Booth testimony, there are a few people in need of thanks for helping with my homework. Apart from the major players, who all receive top billing in the video, a tip of the hat goes to Kensington Video’s Guy Hanford. Guy knows where all the bodies are buried in Kensington. His grave-rattling expertise was of great help. Same to the Young Master, Danny Baldwin, whose knowledge of motion picture exhibition never ceases to amaze and impress. To Sophia Verbiscar, manager of our cinematic crown jewel, I say keep your chin up, kid. With you in charge, the theatre hasn’t seen this much love since Bob Berkun’s reign. Here’s hoping your hard work to keep the joint jumping has just begun.

Most of all, my thanks go out to Bob Berkun, the man who in 1947 built the Adams Ave. Xanadu. His children and now grandchildren have kept the space alive for over 60 years. I have no reason to doubt that Bob’s great grandchildren won’t one day have the honor passed on to them.

Video:

Save The Ken!

Scott Marks shares the latest on the state of The Ken theater.

Scott Marks shares the latest on the state of The Ken theater.

The Ken Cinema isn’t going anywhere. The question is will it continue to grow as a Landmark?

Here I am bedfast and hopeful. God don’t take me yet. I have a single screen to save.

Comments

shirleyberan April 17, 2014 @ 3:48 p.m.

Here's a crazy thought - they isolated themselves with random genre. A lot of families right here.

Scott Marks April 17, 2014 @ 4:24 p.m.

Not sure what you mean by random genre, Shirl.

shirleyberan April 17, 2014 @ 5:52 p.m.

The only time I see lines down Adams is "off beat" "counter cultures" OK, give me a bit to define random, not enough of a following, bypassing the real locals.

shirleyberan April 17, 2014 @ 6 p.m.

Clear this up for me Kooter - can they play current feature length?

Scott Marks April 17, 2014 @ 6:05 p.m.

Of course they can play current feature length films. That's pretty much all they show. Are you suggesting they show mainstream fare like you'd find at AMC? Better a Book Star.

shirleyberan April 17, 2014 @ 6:32 p.m.

Yes Kooter - Remember Saturday Sci-Fi matinee, or was that only TV? Yes, I would like to walk to a movie, not drive to mission or fashion valley. You mean I could have seen "Gravity" for what, 7$ at Ken? I recognized your visual scare of book star out-there. Happens every time I go to Point Loma.

Scott Marks April 18, 2014 @ 5:51 a.m.

A film like "Gravity" has no place at The Ken. They can't even show 3D.

Burwell April 17, 2014 @ 8:28 p.m.

The developers are probably going to tear the Ken down to build condos for the influx of slobs from Meechigan, Ohio, Illinois, Florida, etc.

Scott Marks April 18, 2014 @ 6 a.m.

The owners of the theatre would never allow that to happen. I see how much you sun-baked locals have done to support The Ken. Do you think there'd be talk of closure on the 27th if business was good? Add don't s*it on Illinois: one of its fallen sons is swinging his heart out to keep this lovely theatre alive. If it does close -- and I don't think it will -- don't blame the owners or Landmark for its fall. Blame yourselves.

shirleyberan April 17, 2014 @ 9:51 p.m.

Burwell - the developers have F'd up Adams and Kensington, North of the East of the street.

shirleyberan April 20, 2014 @ 3:52 p.m.

Scott - I was trying to say that I feel the theater doesn't meet the needs of it's own community. Tweens, teens, lots of (mainstream) family types who just want to be entertained sometimes. If it's failing, how is that someone else's fault. They are not making the attempt to figure out the marketing... who could benefit besides a rather narrow target audience, (25-45 year-olds) maybe isn't enough to impress the oldies in Kensington. Normal Heights let their theater go to fabric a long time ago, sad. Could need to be flexible a day or 2 a week.

shirleyberan April 20, 2014 @ 4:23 p.m.

I know you're smarter than me Skooty, but I don't want another fabric store there. The 25-45 is not correct exactly, but catch my drift, neither is the business model. I adore you and admire your works.