Altaf Abro claims in a court case that he was in line at a Jack in the Box in South Houston, Texas. He says that hot coffee spilled in his groin area, and he had to go to the hospital for treatment. He suffered physical impairment, pain, and mental anguish, he claims in the suit filed in Harris County district court. He says the Jack employee was to blame. Abro wants $75,000. The company has no comment.

Comments

aardvark Oct. 29, 2013 @ 5:16 p.m.

Two words (or is it one?)--cup holder.

Don Bauder Oct. 29, 2013 @ 9:39 p.m.

aardvark: Tell it to the judge. Best, Don Bauder

Duhbya Oct. 30, 2013 @ 6:17 a.m.

Is "cup holder" in regard to the coffee or to the spill area?

Don Bauder Oct. 30, 2013 @ 9:33 a.m.

Duhbya: I somehow thought you would come back with a quick and funny retort. Congratulations. Wish I had thought of that. Best, Don Bauder

Duhbya Oct. 30, 2013 @ 1:20 p.m.

Ha! That's about all I'm good for these days. Substance eludes me. Thank you, though, and I do appreciate when you take a look at the more "light-hearted" news.

Don Bauder Oct. 30, 2013 @ 2:12 p.m.

Duhbya: Substance eludes everybody these days -- especially our political and business leaders. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Oct. 29, 2013 @ 9:41 p.m.

one_e_to: It depends on the severity of the burns (if there are any) and any long-term effects. For example, if the accident rendered him impotent, no amount of money will be satisfactory. That does not appear to be the case -- $75,000 would not compensate for that. Best, Don Bauder

Visduh Oct. 29, 2013 @ 7:32 p.m.

This is a reprise of one of the most commented-upon personal injury suits in US history, one where an old lady claimed that McDonald's coffee caused similar burns. She managed to get a fat jury award. McDonald's said that their coffee could not have been hot enough to cause "burns", but they paid up. They also said that they were not going to serve warm coffee as a result, and they have kept it HOT, the way coffee drinkers like it. No, a lousy paper cup full of hot coffee could cause major discomfort, but not any real injury. Just a scam.

Don Bauder Oct. 29, 2013 @ 9:45 p.m.

Visduh: It may be a scam, yes. But I wouldn't want to be a defense lawyer who pours hot coffee on his crotch to prove it's not dangerous. There have been lawyers for soft drink makers who have gulped down the drink even though there was a dead mouse in it, in an attempt to impress the juries. Best, Don Bauder

drudown Oct. 30, 2013 @ 4:02 p.m.

Scam?

Why don't you two just google 'Hot Coffee' on youtube and stop your unfounded conjecture? The lady received 3rd degree burns. That is hardly a foreseeable risk of ordering a beverage and spilling it- whether in a car, home or business.

Don Bauder Oct. 31, 2013 @ 6:29 p.m.

drudown: Third degree burns are not pleasant, admittedly. I confess I haven't looked up this incident, so I can't verify your statement. Best, Don Bauder

gaian Oct. 29, 2013 @ 10:25 p.m.

I thought the first case was frivolous until I went through the drive through at a McDonalds. They gave me coffee in a very flimsy cup with a very flimsy lid on it. If I squeezed the cup the lid would pop off so I through it away. Later I stopped at a Starbucks (non drive through) and got a coffee. The next intersection a car turn in front of me and I jammed on the brakes so the coffee flew out of the holder onto the floor. The lid and coffee were intact, very little spilled at all.

McDonalds drew the wrong conclusion from their law suit and now serve luke warm coffee. It should have decided to provide extremely good cups when giving out hot liquid to drivers. I'm surprise they and the other chains didn't learn from their mistake.

Don Bauder Oct. 30, 2013 @ 9:36 a.m.

gaian: I honestly don't know what the response of McDonald's was. So I can't comment. Best, Don Bauder

Matt101 Oct. 30, 2013 @ 2:12 p.m.

Which McD's do you get coffee at? The few times I've gotten coffee from their drive-thru, it's been so overhot that I let it cool down for my entire drive to work before drinking it.

Don Bauder Oct. 31, 2013 @ 6:31 p.m.

Matt101: If McDonald's has anything, it is uniformity from one outlet to another. We have a controversy here. Best, Don Bauder

aardvark Oct. 30, 2013 @ 8:43 a.m.

How did he spill the coffee? Was the cup between his legs while he was on his cell phone? What was the situation that caused this coffee to mysteriously leap out of the cup and head for his crotch? Not enough details. Maybe Nancy Grace could give this in-depth coverage.

Don Bauder Oct. 30, 2013 @ 9:40 a.m.

aardvark: According to the complaint, "Defendant's [Jack's] employee improperly handled the large cup of hot coffee and spilled it on Plaintiff's groin area while attempting to hand it to him." The plaintiff was treated for burns at a nearby hospital, according to the complaint. Jack is charged with improperly training employees in handling hot food products, among other sins. Best, Don Bauder

aardvark Oct. 30, 2013 @ 11:15 a.m.

Don: It should be a fairly easy case, if that is indeed the case. JITB's have many cameras, and there should be a recording of the incident.

Don Bauder Oct. 30, 2013 @ 11:36 a.m.

aardvark: It depends how the cameras are angled, I suppose. Best, Don Bauder

drudown Oct. 30, 2013 @ 3:57 p.m.

Right, sure….the McDonald's Hot Coffee grandma plaintiff was "faking" her 3RD DEGREE BURNS (see, e.g., documentary 'Hot Coffee' to see actual extent of her injuries).

Just this: how in the world could "tort reform" ever be "the answer" to anything but Corporate tortfeasor's "paid for" dream? That is, surely "tort reform" in CA (see, MICRA) has only unduly limited the damages for victims caused by negligent tortfeasors and, in doing so, their access to the Courts in general. CA is proof positive of the FACT "tort reform" does NOT lower Health Care premiums. It just results in MORE people having ACTUAL medical costs/cost of care being UNrecoverable. That's a solution?

(sigh.)

As stated, maybe you people need to watch the documentary "Hot Coffee" or "Gas land" and hold the same GOP "free market" agenda face to face. You live in a PR fantasy world where the 'bad people' are the ones holding the (what else) 'innocent Corporations' accountable for, inter alia, poisoning the groundwater (see, 'Gas Land' documentary), pushing defective pharmaceuticals through the FDA (see, Vioxx litigation)- or Corporations that simply view 'costs' associated with subsequent litigation over the loss of human life as 'a business decision'. What a tortured, "paid for" subversion of the American Dream.

Just as the Court is the sole forum for ordinary citizens to hold far more powerful entities accountable, so too, is Judicial Review the only means for citizens in our system of government to ensure that the 'majority' cannot 'legislate away civil liberties' (see, NSA subversion of the 4th Amendment) that our Founding Fathers deemed to be central to a properly functioning Republic (see, e.g., Marbury v. Madison).

"After the event, even the fool is wise." - Viscount Symonds

Don Bauder Oct. 31, 2013 @ 12:31 p.m.

drudown: You make good points. I believe there have been abuses of securities lawsuits (Bill Lerach), but I think such suits are necessary until the Securities and Exchange Commission proves definitively that it intends to protect the public from Wall Street rather than the other way around.

The same goes for tort suits. If regulators are not doing their jobs, tort suits have to fill the gap. Best, Don Bauder