Michael Shames, cofounder and former head of Utility Consumers' Action Network (UCAN), earlier filed libel suits against UCAN and Mike Aguirre, attorney for two whistleblowers who exposed problems within UCAN.

Both defendants filed anti-SLAPP (strategic lawsuit against public participation) responses, essentially claiming Shames's suits were intended to intimidate the defendants. Shames lost both cases. One case remained: Shames's case against David Peffer, the primary whistleblower.

Superior Court judge Ronald Prager issued a tentative decision November 14, noting that since Shames did not respond to defendants' anti-SLAPP motion, Peffer's motion is granted and his attorney should serve a motion for attorney fees and costs.

Comments

Twister Nov. 18, 2013 @ 10:31 a.m.

What a shame--that there's not more action here on the election.

Don Bauder Nov. 18, 2013 @ 12:14 p.m.

Twister: I'm sure there will be more election material coming up. Best, Don Bauder

Yankeedoodle Nov. 19, 2013 @ 9:22 a.m.

Has psycholizard stated how he is voting? I confess I have been paying scant attention. Saw one debate by accident.

Don Bauder Nov. 19, 2013 @ 12:03 p.m.

Yankeedoodle: Psycholizard may have stated his preference, but I just can't remember. Best, Don Bauder

Yankeedoodle Nov. 19, 2013 @ 9:15 a.m.

The election is today. I had steadfastly said I was voting for Aguirre, but am now wavering, thinking there might after all be a practical difference between Alvarez and Fletcher.

aardvark Nov. 19, 2013 @ 11:38 a.m.

Yes--there are differences between Alvarez and Fletcher--but Aguirre still got my vote.

Don Bauder Nov. 19, 2013 @ 12:07 p.m.

aardvark: If Aguirre loses, as seems likely, at least he will have awakened some in the community to the City's frail financial state. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 19, 2013 @ 12:05 p.m.

Yankeedoodle: At least, Alvarez says he opposes the subsidization of a downtown Chargers stadium. Best, Don Bauder

CaptD Nov. 18, 2013 @ 2:27 p.m.

What a loss to all ratepayers in San Diego, that UCAN internal problems has left everyone with a vice against SDG&E and SCE for the billions all ratepayers are now owed thanks to SCE's replacement steam generator debacle, and to add to that SoCal ratepayers are STILL paying over $50 Million per month for San Onofre even though it is not generating any energy!

UCAN's entire Board should resign and allow a new group of people that are not more interested in themselves and their position to replace them and start promoting for ratepayers ASAP.

A BIG Salute to Mike Aguirre, who has stepped up and has taken the CPUC to task for dragging their feet during the mandated CPUC investigation, he is a hero to so many that have worked to get San Onofre decommissioned, unlike the others running for Mayor, who turned a blind eye to the SCE/SDG&E entire debacle!

Don Bauder Nov. 18, 2013 @ 2:44 p.m.

CaptD: I agree that UCAN's collapse has weakened San Diego ratepayers' defenses against the rapacious San Diego Gas & Electric. However, as one who followed this story from the beginning, I can say that it was essential that the cozy arrangement among Shames and outside lawyers, along with the questionable bonuses Shames was giving himself, be investigated.

I agree that Aguirre deserves praise for fighting for San Diego ratepayers' rights. Best, Don Bauder

Visduh Nov. 18, 2013 @ 8:10 p.m.

This is significant in that Shameless failed to pursue the type of suit that might have tied up the issues for years. He just folded, or so is my take. His "the best defense is a strong offense" approach might have worked, but now he's not pursuing it. Why is that? Well, maybe at long last some investigative body, such as the FBI, is looking hard, very hard, at him and his antics at UCAN. There was something wrong there for a number of years, and yet the board(s) never really dealt with it. I'd guess that either Shameless is just tired of the fight, or he knows that he's not going to prevail, no matter what. Worse yet, he knows that soon he'll be indicted, and will face a far bigger legal case than his libel suits. At such a juncture, it would be sensible to conserve resources, not make any more enemies, and be prepared to sandbag the judge.

This is a harbinger, and I'd guess that Mikey is going disappear from SD county and hope that this investigation by the FBI just goes away. I doubt that it will do anything but grow in importance. I'd like to have a pool about when Shameless is arrested for fraud and theft. It might not take all that much time

Don Bauder Nov. 19, 2013 @ 8:47 a.m.

Visduh: The last I heard, the FBI is still looking into the UCAN situation in the Shames years, but that was several months ago. Shames had lost to anti-SLAPP defenses against UCAN and against Aguirre, so maybe he figured it was hopeless the third time around. Best, Don Bauder

Visduh Nov. 19, 2013 @ 7:16 p.m.

Let's just wait . . . and hope . . . and wait some more, and there just might be an arrest and prosecution.

Don Bauder Nov. 19, 2013 @ 7:19 p.m.

Visduh: It has been a long time. If memory serves me right, I first wrote about Shames's behavior at UCAN in mid-2011. Best, Don Bauder