David Alvarez
  • David Alvarez

As candidates enter the final weeks before the first round of voting in the race to replace Bob Filner as San Diego's mayor, the labor-backed "Working Families for a Better San Diego" is out with a new study showing their preferred candidate, David Alvarez, moving into a virtual tie with recently converted fellow Democrat Nathan Fletcher.

The Washington, D.C.–based GarinHartYang outfit reported on Sunday, November 3, that Republican unity makes city councilman Kevin Faulconer the first ballot favorite, with 34 percent support — not enough to guarantee an outright victory in the primary. The poll also claimed to have determined that 16 percent of likely voters are still undecided.

According to polling results, Alvarez has 22 percent support to Fletcher's 21 percent, with Alvarez enjoying significant backing among Democrats (38 percent to 27) and Fletcher leading among Republicans (16 percent to 3, though 63 percent are firmly entrenched in Faulconer's camp).

Although interest in off-cycle elections is generally low and considered to favor conservative candidates, early interest in the mayoral contest has been high, with mail voting response already matching earlier special elections this year by the middle of last week.

Today, November 4, also marks the last day for San Diegans to register to vote in the special election — new registrants or those who have moved or changed their name since the most recent election need to re-register to be eligible. Voters can check their registration status here and, if necessary, re-register online or in person at the Registrar's office in Kearny Mesa or at any local post office, library, or DMV.

Comments

FatCatSegat Nov. 4, 2013 @ 8:14 a.m.

As of this morning numbers, Alvarez just took second.

Visduh Nov. 4, 2013 @ 9:12 a.m.

Alvarez has been going around the city, visiting "neighborhoods" and pledging his support for them. In that, he is being "Filnerish", if I may coin a term. What he doesn't say when he tells the groups of his support for them is that he'll get around to serving the ordinary residents in ordinary 'hoods AFTER he takes care of his municipal employee union supporters, and AFTER he takes care of the downtown establishment and arranges the new and superfluous stadium financing. With the state in its current condition and with city revenues failing to grow quickly, there won't be any funds left over for those neighborhoods. That part he doesn't mention.

Faulconer, on the other hand pledges some similar things involving infrastructural repairs (with emphasis on streets), but can't explain how he would pay for them. That's especially true in light of the fact that repairs for him come AFTER he takes care of Godpapa Doug and his cabal. And so it goes.

nora Nov. 4, 2013 @ 1:40 p.m.

Umm... I don't know where your getting your information, but everything that I have read states that Alvarez is against funding a new stadium, not its champion. He's been standing up to the downtown establishment since being elected, he fought against the tourism tax, that benefited only downtown hotels BEFORE Filner was elected.

And you said that he would take care of the municipal employees union. Well, the municipal employees union is backing Fletcher, not Alvarez, and they have sent out multiple flyers to voters on his behalf, spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to do so. (http://sdrostra.com/?p=35499) (I hope they get what they want, since Fletcher voted against them his entire way through the assembly, but that's another story).

Alvarez favors increasing city revenue through bonds and linkage fees, so not sure why your attacking him on falling revenue either..

Basically, you have all of your facts wrong. You appear to have a irrational pre-formed against a candidate and you are willing to make up facts in order to support your position.

But maybe I'm wrong, and if you truly are concerned about the issues you stated above, you might want to consider David Alvarez for mayor.

Visduh Nov. 4, 2013 @ 4:43 p.m.

I based those comments on the fact that no candidate for mayor will be able to stand up to the pro-stadium forces. As to the unions, I concede the cops are backing Fletcher, but I think you'll find that most of the city employee unions support Alvarez and are pumping in the money.

My opinion of him may be partly pre-formed but rational. The only candidate who could actually take the city off the course it is now on is Aguirre. Alas, I do not live in the city of SD, and cannot vote. And for that, I am thankful. (I'm thankful I don't live in the city.)

laplayaheritage Nov. 5, 2013 @ 5:40 a.m.

Fletcher has endorsements from ALL City Unions, not just cops. Endorsements include: San Diego City Firefighters/IAFF Local 145, San Diego Police Officers Association, San Diego Lifeguards Association/ Teamsters Local 911, San Diego Deputy City Attorneys, San Diego Municipal Employees Association, and the San Diego Stadium Coalition.

Councilman David Alvarez is backed by most Non-City Employee unions, therefore no conflict on interest on Pension issues. Big Difference.

Councilman David Alvarez has stated no public money for Stadium, unless a public vote per State Constitution. Fletcher opined that he is willing to give Chargers both the Qualcomm and Sports Arena land to pay the public cost for a new stadium.

For the Plaza de Panama in Balboa Park, Fletcher originally refused to state his opinion, saying whatever he would do as mayor would be "Speculation." Now he has finally admitted to backing Irwin Jacobs destructive plan for paid parking.

"Like my main opponents in this race and most of the park’s institutions, I supported the proposal to make the entire central mesa of Balboa Park, including the Plaza de Panama and Plaza de California, reserved for pedestrians while keeping the west entrance of the park open. I’m not aware of any efforts to revive the Jacobs Plan, but I do continue to support the concept of completely removing cars from the center of the park and reviving the magnificent public plazas that were foolishly turned into roads."

aardvark Nov. 4, 2013 @ 2:27 p.m.

It looks more like Fletcher is catching Alvarez, as Fletcher continues to sink in the polls.

monaghan Nov. 4, 2013 @ 5:04 p.m.

Nora is right on the facts and Visduh has no skin in this election.

I am a resident of San Diego and a registered voter who believes that David Alvarez will support neighborhood improvement over continuing downtown redevelopment and has a humane social agenda for our town. After the Filner debacle, I am thankful to be able to cast a ballot for an intelligent honorable Democrat with roots in this city.

anniej Nov. 4, 2013 @ 9:25 p.m.

I too am a resident in San Diego - and reside in the SWEETWATER school district. When Ed Brand attempted to change the board meeting time to the afternoon I called several elected officials. Mr. Alvarez sent a letter to Ed Brand expressing that he had received my letter and that I was concerned that the public would be locked out of public input.

I do not expect my elected officials to agree with me, but I do expect them to represent me in a fair and balanced manner. I expect them to serve with integrity. I am not saying that Mr. Fletcher would not, I am simply saying Mr. Alvarez DID, the community appreciated it and I respected it. He has served his District well.