On the night of August 11 at around 11 p.m., an out-of-town visitor staying at the Ocean Beach Hotel was attacked by a drunk female in her 30s — reputedly not a hotel guest.

Police had just pulled up to the hotel when I was riding by on my bike, and I stopped to see what was going on. There were two couples standing out on Newport Avenue, and one of the women was crying.

Shortly thereafter, the officer walked into the hotel lobby to discuss the incident with the employees. I then asked the couples what happened. The victim told me they were just enjoying the courtyard when a very inebriated female walked up to her and, unprovoked, spit on her.

A fight ensued, and the hotel guest said she was spat upon again and the attacker ran away with her prescription glasses; the victim said she could barely see without them.

The gentleman she was with told me they were frequent visitors to Point Loma, but it was the first time they had stayed in O.B. He told me they were from Arizona and were here for the weekend to attend a memorial service for his mother.

The couple said they couldn't understand why it took over 20 minutes for the police to arrive when they saw them driving up and down Newport all day long.

Comments

Javajoe25 Aug. 12, 2013 @ 9:09 p.m.

I don't know how they do it in Arizona, but here in San Diego, unless someone is bleeding profusely or a gun is involved, the cops will probably not bother responding to your call. I've seen a guy who assaulted a local shopper, held on the ground by a security guard, and it was 40 minutes after the guard called, before the cops arrived. Unless it's another cop, in which case they will be there in minutes, the cops here don't seem to feel assisting local citizens in distress is a high priority.

They are very good at attending community meetings and even demanding they have a shed to store their bicycles, but getting involved in local assaults is not really something they are into. Now, shooting unarmed homeless people or women with children...well, I don't want to get off topic here, but bottom line is, you can call for help but don't hold your breath, Zonies.

Ponzi Aug. 12, 2013 @ 10:52 p.m.

I consider myself a respectable and refined person. But I would probably spit on them too. Just to make a point of their obnoxious behavior. They drive like idiots, they think they own our city, they drive giant gas guzzlers, they are rude, crude and unpleasant. They moved to Arizona for a reason and I wish they would remain there. If they need a place to cool off, go to Florida. They share the redneck mentality. Yes, we hate "zonies" in San Diego for a reason. We don't need their kind of money because it comes with too much attitude.

Duhbya Aug. 13, 2013 @ 6:24 a.m.

"I consider myself a respectable and refined person."

Question: who typed the remainder of your post? Iznop?

Paintbrush, stroke, broad.

Ponzi Aug. 13, 2013 @ 9:20 p.m.

haha, don't take me too seriously. lol

Duhbya Aug. 14, 2013 @ 2:53 a.m.

I will admit to having considered that before posting.

Ponzi Aug. 13, 2013 @ 11:52 p.m.

I did. And you know that, So what is your point?

Duhbya Aug. 14, 2013 @ 2:57 a.m.

That your introductory statement was incongruous with the body of the diatribe. And you knew that.

danfogel Aug. 13, 2013 @ 7:41 p.m.

response to ponzi Geez, take a pill dude. I was born and raised in Arizona, came to San Diego to go to school and stayed almost 20 yrs. I can imagine what you think of me. LOL

Ponzi Aug. 13, 2013 @ 9:26 p.m.

You're not a "Zonie." You live here now. Summer is when they drive here and, I guess because we don't have the photo-camera-nazi-system on our highways, they go crazy. I guess because being out of legal range of their crazy Sheriff, they can be outlaws. The tourists I appreciate are the ones who come from Denver and Kansas City, usually during Chargers game matches. They are the most wonderful people. Arizona? Whatever. And we still call them "Zonies" just like we call people from Boston, "Ma$$holes." But as they say, "sticks and stones..." Are you adults? You take the freakin pill, crybabies. This is just an opinion and we know that everyone has one.

danfogel Aug. 13, 2013 @ 10:15 p.m.

reply to ponzi Nope. Don't live in San Diego. Left almost 20 yrs ago. I've spent most of the last 20 or so in the LA/OC and Seattle areas. And when I thought about moving back a few months ago, it didn't take long to realize that San Diego might be a nice place to visit once in a while, but it's not where I want to live.

shirleyberan Aug. 13, 2013 @ 10:12 a.m.

Ponzi - No buddy - you are unrefined and do not speak for San Diegans. I am born and raised here and don't have hater mentality, which you obviously do. Where are you really from? Chicago I'd bet, somewhere fear is acceptable.

Ponzi Aug. 13, 2013 @ 9:29 p.m.

Nope, native. (And we really don't like transplants.... it's true)

Javajoe25 Aug. 13, 2013 @ 10:44 a.m.

Pit-tooey! There goes a spitball. Everybody duck!

Personally, I don't judge people by their point of origin. I say, it's not where you're from, so much as it is where you're at.

angeroo Aug. 13, 2013 @ 11:03 a.m.

Wow, keeping is super klassy OB. Pretty sure the local merchants count on those "awful out of towners" to keep in business. Too bad some drunk idiot will probably prevent these folks from considering coming back. A shame.

shirleyberan Aug. 13, 2013 @ 12:58 p.m.

I have lived in OB and loved it - back in the day. Now attracts so much scum (yeah I said it) homeless drunks and druggies I can't go quietly drink a few without panhandlers and mental problems all over. If you gotta walk around with fists up kinda spoils a good buzz.

Visduh Aug. 13, 2013 @ 2:29 p.m.

This sounds just like something you might encounter/expect in OB. While a few of us might like to, on occasion, let some Zonie know that his/her behavior is out of line, spitting shows no class at all. (My principal objection to the folks from the east is their cavalier disregard for speed limits and other traffic laws.) The tourism cabal of San Diego will be appalled at this report. Things like that can dissuade visitors from renting the overpriced motel rooms, buying overpriced restaurant food, and attending overpriced tourist attractions. Horrors!

shirleyberan Aug. 13, 2013 @ 8:49 p.m.

danfogel -and calling people Zonies is so not funny anymore - WTF? Who talks like that as if they actually can't take people from out of town? Very strange. Visduh - More traffic in the summer so you have to watch out for drivers that don't know where they're going. And police in P.B. and O.B. have a busy time with an abundance of Bar Flys.

Ponzi Aug. 13, 2013 @ 11:56 p.m.

Bar Flys? We call them drunks. And, yes, we still call Arizona tourists, visitors, invaders, et. al. "Zonies" We could call them worse. Other than being poor or cheap, I really would like a reasonable explanation of why anyone would choose (or be forced into) living is a freakin' desert? 110 degrees? Life is way too short for that torture. Poverty is the only reason I can think of.

Duhbya Aug. 14, 2013 @ 3:02 a.m.

It's obvious you're not Jewish. lol, as you say.

danfogel Aug. 14, 2013 @ 8:01 a.m.

reply to ponzi,

So I guess you've never been to Palm Springs?

obracer Aug. 15, 2013 @ 8:49 a.m.

PONZI - Get out a little, I love the desert ! , at 110 degrees drunks and bums don't lay around on sidewalks ! I have neighbors in the desert that only enjoy the weather when it's over 100 degrees. The wildlife, the sunsets and sunrises are incredible, not to mention the meteor showers like this last weekend, awesome ! Fire up the sand rail and drive off into the night, nobody cares ! Take a late night hike with a full moon, it's like daytime. " poor or cheap " uh......not quite ! some ranches sell for over $ 7 million dollars in the desert. I enjoy the "zonies" they are a big part of our economy in San Diego, not only as tourists but as merchants that buy goods from San Diego, one example is fresh seafood. The photo was taken from my front porch just before sunrise at the Salton Sea last Tuesday.

None