The old man likes to go to the OMTI bar; he is a regular there. (“I usually chase women, drink tequilas.”) He is probably six feet tall and sturdily built, with a mustache and a long white beard. His thinning hair rests on his neck in a ponytail.

This is the old man’s version of the story: that Friday night, when that pretty lady refused his last drink and left, he moved right along to another woman. This other woman sat at the bar next to him and “said she was 39” and that “she was a nurse.” The old man had been at the bar maybe an hour and a half by then.

Then these two guys, who were strangers to him, asked if he could help them start their bike. It was an old motorcycle with a magneto. The old man was reluctant to leave his new female find, but he let the strangers talk him into going outside to help with the bike.

Outside, the old man was accused of being a member of the Mongol motorcycle club. “I was kinda shocked, being accused of something like that.” The Hells Angels and Mongols are fierce enemies; they have well-publicized shootouts in which people die. “I told him that I wasn’t no fucking Mongol, never have been, never will be.”

“I asked him where the bike was,” the old man remembered. “That’s when they hit me with a pistol upside the head.” He said he remembered the feel of metal.

“It knocked me out cold. Broke my glasses.”

The old man said he has been knocked out before. “I used to like to fight. But I wasn’t hurt. Just bruised up a little bit.”

He didn’t sound too shocked about getting punched out in the alley, but he was embarrassed that he’d been tricked into going outside to get “thumped.”

“It’s no big deal, you know. I got up.”

Some days later, he phoned the police department to tell them he did not want to press charges. “We already had the problem solved. I wanted it over with, it was done.” He denied being afraid to talk about the confrontation; it had nothing to do with what happens to snitches. “First of all,” he said, “I’m not a snitch.”

But somebody called police that night.

The old man didn’t want to stay outside on the street, talking with police. Even though he had blood on the side of his head, collected around the diamond earring in his left ear, he wanted to hurry back into the bar. He was thinking about that nice nurse. In a courtroom four months later, the jury heard a wiretapped recording of the old man’s voice making a vulgar comment about “mercy” sex, except he used crude language. The nine women and three men in the jury box mostly remained composed.

The Oceanside Police

At least eight police officers responded to the radio call about an assault. Four cops had their guns drawn when they requested that the people inside the blue Ford pickup, which had left the scene, get out.

Officer Nicholas Olsen said Thor came out of the truck first. The cops did not find Thor compliant. “He continually shouted, ‘Come on! Come on! Come on! This is bullshit!’” When Officer Olsen directed Thor to step away from the truck, “he literally, kinda, shuffled and danced and kinda belittled the situation, while I was giving him commands.” The officer said, “It definitely wasn’t amusing.”

Another officer described the “dry stun” treatment they applied to Thor. This involved officers removing the cartridges and darts off a stun gun, so that it could be held against the offender for “two seconds.” Thor cursed the officers as they cuffed him, according to officer Jon Dominique.

Marine Staff Sergeant Wayne and his wife did not require any kind of “stun” treatment after they got out of the truck.

Wayne is not a member of the Hells Angels — they don’t accept active-duty Marines as members.

Around the Fire Pit

After the Friday-night knockout, on the following Tuesday, some men gathered around a fire ring on the patio outside the OMTI bar. There were four members of the Geezers motorcycle club there, including the old man and a couple of Hells Angels “full patch” members. Because word had gotten around that a Hells Angel had beaten up an “83-year-old man,” which sounded bad, it was decided that there would be a meeting.

One Hells Angel member named “Hollywood” asked the old man if he wanted a chance to fight the guy who had hit him. The old man said that he just wanted his $300 glasses replaced. Hollywood, who was wearing a Hells Angels shirt, said he wanted to make sure everything was good between the two clubs, the Hells Angels and the Geezers. According to everybody who was willing to talk, both clubs decided they were all fine about everything.

The trademark logo of the Hells Angels has changed over the years. One of the changes is to the mouth of the winged death’s head which is at the center of the logo. The skull used to have an open mouth with fanglike teeth, but now the mouth is zippered shut. Persons who claim to be experts on the Hells Angels say this is to emphasize the importance of people “keeping their mouths shut.”

There was a trial in San Diego’s North County courthouse in May 2012. The jury could not come to agreement on whether Thor and Wayne had committed an assault on the old man, and the judge declared a mistrial. There was one felony charge of attempting to dissuade a witness brought against “Hollywood,” which was ultimately dismissed.

A month later, plea deals were made.

Staff Sergeant Wayne pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor assault charge. He was sentenced to time already served — the one day that he was arrested.

The prosecutor in this case, Geoff Allard, made special allegations during trial that Thor and Hollywood were part of a “criminal street gang,” the Hells Angels, and that all three defendants acted to “promote” that criminal gang. Much was made during trial of the tattoos on the men, rude bumper stickers associated with the Hells Angels, and their storied reputation.

Comments

SusieTeigh July 25, 2012 @ 7:13 p.m.

This is the strangest article I've ever read. Not the content, the writing style. It's like an alien who is trying to pawn themselves off as being human wrote it. Horrible, horrible story flow. By the way, in the 2nd paragraph, the writer mentions that the Hells Angels don't use an apostrophe but the moronic writer uses an apostrophe in their name in the article's title. Way to go, Mork, Zim, Klaatu, or whatever your name really is.

ogbigbird July 25, 2012 @ 8:23 p.m.

SERIOUSLY WHO WROTE THIS?

the article ends on the 2nd to last paragraph with: "The San Diego district attorney’s office said it might be dangerous to name the alleged victim, since he’d been served a subpoena to testify against two Hells Angels members."

Then the writer goes on to tell the world who he is in the next paragraph (indirectly of course)!

"The old man rides with a motorcycle club called the Geezers. He said he is the oldest member and admits to being 65. The Geezers go on “runs” and have barbeques and parties. The old man has a Harley-Davidson Dyna Super Glide. He’s been riding for more than 40 years. He was once a Marine (“I got blowed up with a mortar when I was in Vietnam.”) and has medical problems related to Agent Orange. He said he is on 100 percent disability."

WTF.. believe me I believe snitches get stitches.... but whoever wrote this doesnt know how to keep their mouth shut themselves....This is reporting at its worst.... If anything happens to this guy i hope the "reporter" gets whats coming for puting this old man on blast who got jumped!!!

Visduh July 28, 2012 @ 8:29 p.m.

Just wondering why the body of this story will not load. I've waited for minutes when only a few seconds should do, and still no story.

SurfPuppy619 July 28, 2012 @ 8:37 p.m.

No story for me either.....but the title is hilarious! Angel of Blunder :)

SurfPuppy619 July 28, 2012 @ 8:50 p.m.

The article is not showing up in the cache either-which means the Reader took it down, maybe they got an offer from the HA they couldn't refuse.......

Javajoe25 July 28, 2012 @ 10:56 p.m.

Reader may have yanked it for due to potential legal complications. As ogbb points out, the writer totally blew the cover of a witness. I'm surprised they haven't pulled og's comment that repeats it. Story would not load for me either so I read the paper version.

Reader Staff July 29, 2012 @ 9:20 a.m.

Oops — it was the computer's fault. Fixed now!

SurfPuppy619 July 29, 2012 @ 1:02 p.m.

Hahhahaha....I am LMFAO so hard right now it is hurting, the GEEZERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is so damn funny it is unreal.... a 65 y/o GEEZER is hitting on some hot babe, and Babes hubby gets jealous?? That clown must have a major small man compelx.... .......And "THOR" gets tough with a 65 y/o GEEZER....OMFG! Thor, why don't you take that big bad 200# of yours and go fight a real man instead of grandpa- the HA should kick you out of their MC for being such a bonehead........I swear, someone ought to make a movie out of this..oh wait-they did "Wild Hogs"!!!!

robotsofmedia Aug. 1, 2012 @ 11:31 p.m.

You're a robot of media. I bet you also think that eating cow crap will cure cancer, just because the media tells you. Don't be a fool.

robotsofmedia Aug. 2, 2012 @ 8:50 a.m.

That comment above was for you surfpuppy. Time to put on your big boy undies and think for yourself.

skrewsrfpup July 30, 2012 @ 1 a.m.

surf pup, do you believe everything the media puts out...if so, you and I should have a word about it... some people live and some people write about those who live, and others are email tough guys, I gather you are the latter ...btw call me a clown to my face.

SurfPuppy619 July 30, 2012 @ 4:35 p.m.

Anytime "Thor" Angel of Blunder, but Im not 65 y/o either you clown.

psyflyjohn July 30, 2012 @ 10:20 a.m.

Shame on you for lifting one of the UT's articles....

Visduh July 30, 2012 @ 11:10 a.m.

This whole story is absurd, and that's probably why Eva wrote it. A 65 year old "hits" on a young and pretty woman in a biker bar and gets into a fight. Really? OK. The husband of the woman takes some sort of offense to that. Does he take her into biker bars often? Most guys with attractive wives try to avoid taking them into ANY kind of bars, just so that there won't be problems like this. There is a lesson here for all readers and that is if you don't want to get in a fight in a biker bar, don't go to a biker bar, ever!

Javajoe25 July 31, 2012 @ 9:17 a.m.

Whoa boys! Let's not have any blog blood spilled here. We're just talking, right?

65 is not too old to be hitting on chicks--especially if you are a young 65. Also, who's to say the guy that brought his "good looking" wife into the bar wasn't a biker himself? A man has to take the old lady someplace once in awhile! These things happen. A 65 year old guy is feeling frisky-- probably more whiskeeterone than anything-- and a good looking woman is reminded that she is good looking (they usually like that); and her old man is not amused and somebody gets their ass kicked. It's just another day in a bar.

thetruth043 Aug. 1, 2012 @ 6:26 p.m.

First off, to the "Bloggers" who want to make comments without knowing the full story and HIDING behind the internet, I implore you to post your real information and see if you still refer to ANY man as a clown and see how far that gets you. As for the story itself, I will echo OGbigbird and say that it is poorly written and most likely written by someone who has seen one to many episodes of Gangland or Sons of Anarchy. The author has decided to take one version of the three versions from court and put their own spin on it. For those who know what REALLY happened, it is not to far from normalcy in Oceanside. There was a Marine (Special Forces mind you) who didn't take kindly to ANYONE....whether its a 65 year old man, or a little wimpy man who hides behind his "blog" who decides to hit on this marine's wife. He DEFINITELY does not take kindly when the old man tells him "thats the way its gonna be," but I doubt that MOST MEN would just shrug their shoulders and say I guess so, so please continue making my wife feel uncomfortable. So what do you think a Marine of any stature would do, especially when another man, who by the way is 65, but about 6'4 squares off to him?? He takes the initiative. This story is ONLY a story because the Hells Angels are involved. Period. This type of incident happens almost every night in a bar, and its in my opinion that its the author who is trying to incite people by slandering "Thor" and saying he is an embarrassment. I wouldn't be surprised if the D.A. put the author up to it to see what kind of reaction there is. IF YOU ARE GOING TO WRITE A STORY AND SLANDER SOMEONE... TELL ALL SIDES. Why not mention the old man is on medication and comes up with random stories, which was testimony from his closest friends. Why not tell that the old man wanted none of this and knows he was in the wrong. Do not just use the perspectives that you assume will make a good story... and learn how to write! And as for those of you who read this article; Dont believe everything that the media puts out. Most of us from the military and other walks of life already know this, but just remember there is always at least three sides to a story.

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 2, 2012 @ 1:51 a.m.

Another clown internet warrior. Nice typing keyboard warrior.

robotsofmedia Aug. 2, 2012 @ 8:48 a.m.

@surfpuppy619 you do realize everything you say makes no sense. Can you say this while looking in the mirror, " I am a robot"? You fool.

robotsofmedia Aug. 1, 2012 @ 11:28 p.m.

First off, dearest Eva Knot, just quit your blog. You are a terrible journalist. If you're going to pick and choose "media" facts at least pick the juicy ones. Or take the time to sit in on a trial you are going to write about. I personally followed this case because I support our Marines and wanted to get as close to the truth as possible. And let me tell you, you are WAY off.

What you should of been reporting on is why our state of California wasted probably countless amounts of taxpayers money on a bar fight involving a mentally unstable 65 year old man who also happens to still think he's 27 the way he drinks. If you followed the case you would of known that the old geezer wasn't pressing charges and that the greedy DA pushed the case. Just because some man decided to become apart of the HAMC doesn't mean he's a hoodlum. If you again, did your research you would of realized that man was a hard working, tax paying man of society.

If you followed the case properly, you would of been reporting a different story about how lazy, greedy and selfish our system can be at the expense of our dollars. You would of reported how that Marine was harassed and fought back with full force and came out with barely a scratch.

So instead of buying into the romanticism that our shit hole state DA tried to sell, then tried to write a S**T version of it, go back to school and learn how to report a real story.

IBisOK Aug. 2, 2012 @ 10:19 a.m.

Knowing the truth about what happened here, this article makes me realize how many layers of interrelated deception make later truth discernment truly impossible. In the future I will read all reporting as not only suspect, but likely almost entirely fiction.

To the readers of this article and these comments, note who was telling a story in their own self interest, and who is remaining silent.

Kitty must be proud.

Eva Knott Aug. 2, 2012 @ 11:20 a.m.

One of the benefits of reporting on criminal matters is that I know the court transcripts will back me up. The story is accurate. There can be as many "sides" as there are witnesses, you will not be shocked to read that. Every story is limited by space. All the men in the story are real he-men. Please calm down. Don't hurt each other. Save it for the real enemy. By the way, I did not write the line "Thor, Angel of Blunder," editors write headlines and photo captions and other bits. No one need be embarrassed. Klaatu signing off for now, more court cases coming right up.

IBisOK Aug. 2, 2012 @ 12:37 p.m.

Klaatu, the reporting is accurate but the story is not. Not your fault at all. My apologies for not being clear with my comment.

robotsofmedia Aug. 2, 2012 @ 2:16 p.m.

Eva, no matter what your writing skills are terrible. You might as well of made a power point of these so called "facts". And anyone could of pulled court records and "created" a story, I actually sat in the court room and got first hand knowledge of what was said and can tell you that you clearly picked and choose what went where on your story and did it with poor skill and taste.

So blab all you want about accuracy but I know you tried to make this "story" flow and bombed. Comments at the top will back me up.

Next time you look into a story like this don't take the easy worm, don't grab the HA story, look at what's really going on and get the shark. That's what your readers want. Not this half ass junk.

robotsofmedia Aug. 2, 2012 @ 2:19 p.m.

And for the sake of arguement, this is not the only blog I read of yours. But this is the only blog I did actual field work on so I can knowingly speak truth and by reading your other writings this isn't the only one that needed better skills.

Duhbya Aug. 3, 2012 @ 5:58 a.m.

"Eva, no matter what your writing skills are terrible. You might as well of made a ....."

Oh, the irony.

elvishasleftsandiego Feb. 8, 2014 @ 11:02 a.m.

Well, I would never go out of my way to antagonize a biker, much less a Hell's Angel. But my experience with these so called tough guy biker types is that they're just plain run of the mill bullies, looking to constantly prove their manhood by beating people up. Not impressed by either of these two knuckle heads.

elvishasleftsandiego Feb. 8, 2014 @ 11:13 a.m.

I had this impacted lower molar that was killing me. So I walked into a biker bar and screamed "ALL YOU PUSSY BIKERS SUCK!!!!!" And when I woke up, my molar didn't hurt anymore. Great buncha fellers.

yourallidiots Feb. 10, 2014 @ 9:58 p.m.

yourallidiots Feb. 10, 2014 @ 10:16 p.m.

Sleepy Oct. 28, 2014 @ 9:25 p.m.

Hey now, I got alot out of that story...WTF!!!

1st-Where's that bar at exactly? I read somewhere they got hot chics, and lots of drinks!

2nd-I gotta hook up with Thor. Sounds like a friend that has your back. Maybe it was just a little dark that night! Maybe is wasn't even Thor! (Dammit, I demand a retrial!!!) Oh, wait, the trials over. That comes later in the story!

3rd-Don't hit on a chic if her 'Ol Man's bike won't start!

See ya at OMTI. B.T.W...is that the place that use to be McCabes years ago?