Meanwhile, a firm named Golden State Law Group is now advertising heavily, à la Steigerwalt’s deceased enterprise. Golden State’s marketing director is Austin Majors, former executive director of Pacific Law Center. After Steigerwalt’s firm closed, Golden State was launched by two former members of that concern, Don Bokovoy, who is going into semiretirement, and David Weil. On its website, Golden State says it is responding to “unanswered complaints with Kerry Steigerwalt’s Pacific Law Center. Many of Mr. Steigerwalt’s clients have called Golden State Law Group seeking help with their bankruptcy case after complaining to Mr. Steigerwalt that they paid him a retainer to file their bankruptcies and he has, in many cases, failed to do so.” Those who unsuccessfully went to Benjamin’s Chicago law firm “felt cheated and scammed,” says the website.

Steigerwalt says he is disappointed by the criticism, given Weil’s and Bokovoy’s “involvement in the bankruptcy department at [Kerry Steigerwalt’s Pacific Law Center].”

Benjamin is more succinct: Golden State “can go fk themselves,” he says.

Comments

Don Bauder June 22, 2011 @ 4:07 p.m.

I have no idea if David is related to John Weil. John is a friend of mine. I will ask him. Best, Don Bauder

Javajoe25 June 22, 2011 @ 12:50 p.m.

Unreal stuff, Don;

Seems bad enough when one is in such a financial bind that bankruptcy is the only option, but to then get ripped off by the lawyers you hire to help you with it, is too much. Was it Shakespeare who said, "First we kill all the lawyers."? Even back then, they knew. I hope they hang these leeches, but I know they won't because...you know: they're lawyers.

Don Bauder June 22, 2011 @ 4:15 p.m.

In this economy, the bankruptcy business is a huge boon for lawyers in the field. The abuses by Pacific Law Center, and then Kerry Steigerwalt's Pacific Law Center after he took over, have been egregious. This law firm was just a marketing machine -- spending heavily on advertising to draw people in, having fast-buck hucksters talk them into paying big sums for service, then not providing that service. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 June 24, 2011 @ 1 a.m.

This is exatly what Sam Spital did, and how he lost his law firm after he was successfully sued (by now disbarred lawyer Pat Frega-of which the Reader did a COVER issue on)) for legal malpractice.

I am at a loss as to how Majors can keep setting up these fraudulent law firms.

The State Bar is a joke, but even they should be able to stop this fraud by Majors

Don Bauder June 24, 2011 @ 7:45 a.m.

Weil says that Larry Majors has absolutely no stake in Golden State. Best, Don Bauder

bestugot June 22, 2011 @ 5:04 p.m.

REALLY DON??? Here is your chance to be the next Pulitzer Prize winner and this is what you give us. Seems to me there is a new firm out there heavily advertising very similar to Pacific Law Center and Kerry Steigerwalt's Pacific Law Center. I don't know much about reporting, but it seems to me the prominent reporters report the news before it happens??? I mean surely you can see as a reporter that there is a much juicier story here and you barley scratch the surface. This is a feeble attempt at a sequel to your last KSPLC installment,the one that got more hits than any other column the Reader has ever published (congrats by the way). This is a dead horse Don that with a little effort and research from you could have been revived, which by the way could have helped so many people do the right thing. I can see you Don pecking away at that old 1950 typewriter grinning from ear to ear like a cheshire cat as you wrote this story, thinking wow this will be my best ever, I'm the greatest reporter alive. Oh so sorry Don... This article is weak and lacking an 'F' as far as articles go. With just a little bit more effort on your behalf you would've and could've written a sequel that would have blown San Diego and the legal profession away. The thing is Don I think you know this article fell short, which means 1 of 2 things??? YOUR SCARED to write the real story or it is really time to put that old typewriter in the closet and call it quits. I believe in you Don, we believe in you, I know in my heart of hearts that you can and will redeem yourself, so keep pecking away my friend and enlighten us San Diegans as to whats really going on here, and who can and cannot be trusted in these troubling times when bankruptcy appears to be our only out..

Don Bauder June 22, 2011 @ 7:33 p.m.

I collect antique typewriters, but a 1950 model is too recent to make my collection, which consists almost entirely of instruments from the late 19th century and very early 20th century. The column you disparage does mention another law firm that is advertising very heavily; it's headed by ex-KSPLC lawyers. There is another one with Austin Majors as its chief marketer; I got some information on it, but left it out of the column for space reasons. So you might give me more information on what you think should have been in this column. My email is don.bauder@mac.com and phone is 619-546-8529. Best, Don Bauder

Twister June 22, 2011 @ 8:53 p.m.

Methinks bestugot's picture behind the cur-tain be besotted. Chameleon-like, he (I suspect) is a man (?) of a thousand monikers. Mensch that you are, Don, you didn't take his bait.

The bells! The BELLS! The B E L L S!

Don Bauder June 23, 2011 @ 5:50 a.m.

There are a lot of irate people -- victims and former insiders -- who think that any journalist is not getting the true story. They came out of the woodwork after my 2010 column on Steigerwalt. I ask for information from such folks; we need their complaints in case we tackle the subject again. Best, Don Bauder

MURPHYJUNK June 23, 2011 @ 3:36 p.m.

those ads on tv ( I dare not mention the name of the firm, lest they retaliate since they are lawyers )

are just as smarmy as the Kerry crapola was

Don Bauder June 23, 2011 @ 5:14 p.m.

I would guess that they are produced by the same (purported) ad man, Austin Majors. He was a top executive of Pacific Law Center, and then, briefly, Kerry Steigerwalt's Pacific Law Center, and is now marketing director of two law firms launched by Steigerwalt alumni. Best, Don Bauder

gekko June 26, 2011 @ 5:05 p.m.

Regarding lawyers - In the movie "Barbarians At The Gate", James Garner's character, F. Ross Johnson, says the only things he asks of lawyers are a calendar at Christmas time and that they get back in their coffins before the sun comes up.

Don Bauder June 27, 2011 @ 5:52 a.m.

Spoken like a lawyer, SP. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder June 27, 2011 @ 5:51 a.m.

Then there is the one about a liar's club in a small town. All the men were lined up to tell their whoppers. The first said, "Last winter it was so cold that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets." All the participants decided that this lie could not be topped, and the contest was called off. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 June 26, 2011 @ 11:21 p.m.

Mimdy-I like your new profile pic, which dog of yours is that???? Good looking pup.

Don Bauder June 27, 2011 @ 5:56 a.m.

Do you suppose Mindy's new dog is named SurfPuppy? Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder June 27, 2011 @ 5:55 a.m.

This sounds very much like the marketing program that Austin Majors and confreres set up at Pacific Law Center. Austin Majors is marketing director for Golden State, Weil's firm. Weil may respond to your complaint, if he likes. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder June 27, 2011 @ 7:25 p.m.

Chow Chows can be very temperamental. Rhodesian Ridgebacks are even-tempered, but maybe your dog has more Chow genes. You are flirting with a lawsuit keeping this dog. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 June 28, 2011 @ 12:12 a.m.

Last year, he bit my neighbor and about three weeks ago, he bit my neighbor's wife. He's lucky to still be around, the little jerk.

================ LOL...Mindy-my two Pitties got into a small tussle 7 weeks ago today-and my Senior, who has NO FRONT TEETH, unintenionally nealry bit my finger tip off!!!! I still love her to death, awesome girl!

My finger is healing but it was touch and go the first two weeks for tip amputation due to an infection and bad antibiotics.

I love my dogs. Nothing will ever change that.

SurfPuppy619 June 28, 2011 @ 2:15 a.m.

I can handle my two-it was just a freak accident, had grabbed Nelly by the collar, she was on top, and my hand slipped, and the second round I grabbed Nelly's collar and then tried to grab nala's collar but somehow my ring finger ended up on her mouth! Ouchie!

But, my two are only 75# each, if they were bigger I would have a problem, or if this happened on the street with a bigger dog I would have a problem, so I bought 4- 4OZ/17% pepper sprays and have them in the house, car and carry one on walks, I feel sorry for the dogs on the next fight!

cstarrett June 27, 2011 @ 7:24 p.m.

I'm a local bankruptcy attorney and I cringe every time I hear the name Pacific Law Center for obvious reason. As for J. Kevin Benjamin, he isn't even admitted to practice law in California. I cannot see how he can be giving quality representation for the small amount of compensation that he appears to be receiving. I hope these former PLC clients are jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Don Bauder June 27, 2011 @ 7:27 p.m.

I think you meant to say that you hope the former PLC clients AREN'T jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Best, Don Bauder

cstarrett June 27, 2011 @ 8:52 p.m.

Fortunately for my clients, I'm a much better attorney than I am a typist.

Don Bauder June 28, 2011 @ 1:15 p.m.

You don't have to master typing skills to get into the bar. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 June 28, 2011 @ 12:08 a.m.

He doesnt need to be licensed in CA if he is only doing federal BK cases.

Don Bauder June 28, 2011 @ 1:17 p.m.

Anybody disagree with SurfPup's statement? Best, Don Bauder

JustWondering June 28, 2011 @ 7:42 a.m.

Makes you wonder not only about his typing skills, but his ability to understand simple rules too.

Don Bauder June 28, 2011 @ 1:20 p.m.

When you leave out a negative contraction, aren't, thus making positive a statement that you meant to be negative, you can't blame your typing. Confession: I have done the same many times. Sometimes I don't catch the error. Best, Don Bauder

Twister June 28, 2011 @ 2:45 p.m.

I took it to be high comedy. I just love it when I do that and nobody notices! But I am EVIL.

Don Bauder June 29, 2011 @ 12:13 p.m.

In some ways, it's disappointing when nobody catches your egregious error. You worry that nobody is reading your prose. Best, Don Bauder

arod Oct. 29, 2011 @ 8:49 p.m.

There is a huge amount of bribery in San Diego and around the country in America, perhaps even more than in the courts of any other country in the world. Nearly all bribes are given to the judges by lawyers; this is considered the safe way to bribe a judge. Bribery is rarely spoken about, just understood. People pay huge amounts of money to law firms with connections, the lawyers walk around with a certain amount of cash in their jacket, and they pass it to the judges in their quiet moments together. It is mostly all cash of course. Sometimes the bribery is blatantly obvious, because of the other crimes that lawyers and judges commit in broad daylight together. In the courtrooms you can see the judges being extremely friendly to their rich lawyer friends who pay big bribes.In America, government-appointed lawyers are the means by which hundreds of thousands of poor people are railroaded into prison. It is the job of the victim's lawyer to "sell the deal" that the judge has decided will happen. This is Star Chamber justice. Though a social explosion is lurking beneath the surface - with judges starting to get murdered, and people lighting courthouses ablaze. A 1996 San Diego Superior Court corruption case in which three judges and a lawyer were convicted of taking bribes or influence peddling. Since neither county nor state would prosecute, federal prosecutors had to do the job under the RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act) statute. Former San Diego Judge Michael Greer admitted taking $75,000 in bribes in exchange for having given a lawyer preferential treatment. Greer was placed on suspension after pleading guilty. Judges G. Dennis Adams, James A. Malkus and attorney Patrick R. Frega were convicted under the RICO statute. But in June of this year, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals overturned racketeering charges against Adams and Malkus, claiming the jury had been given inaccurate instructions. All of these men have remained free since 1996 as they appeal their cases.

SurfPuppy619 Feb. 8, 2012 @ 11:31 p.m.

arod, the cut and paste you just posted was from June 1999, 13 years ago

Suds Feb. 8, 2012 @ 6:27 p.m.

"He doesnt need to be licensed in CA if he is only doing federal BK cases."

BOGUS. He must be either a member of the California Bar and the Bar of the U.S. Southern District of California, or be admitted for a single case on a Pro Hoc Vice basis.

I was local co-counsel on a case with a California attorney based in San Francisco; the Bankruptcy Judge would not approve him as counsel until he joined the local District Bar - which you can only do if you are a member of the State Bar.

SurfPuppy619 Feb. 8, 2012 @ 11:33 p.m.

Pro Hoc Vice is always open, but I thought as long as you were a member of ANY states bar you were free to practice in any of the US District courts, as long as you were admitted.

seantor_2000 Feb. 10, 2012 @ 9:16 a.m.

I know all of them. I was hired at Pacific Law Center, and lasted about 4-6 weeks. I was personally hired by Austin Majors (after having been referred in by Larry Majors), and worked directly for Don Bokovoy for my brief tenure. All I can say is, as soon as I started asking questions and attempting to take contol of the paralegal department within the BK division (which I was specifically hired to do), I was summarily dismissed. I came on board just as Steigerwald was completing the purchase deal and it all went south from there. I know of Kerry Steigerwald from within the legal community and I honestly believe he got screwed over on this deal. Just my take. . .