During the two years I worked for the service, I witnessed hundreds of new members join; I only witnessed one person being turned down. A cute 30-year-old woman came in with a three-page, typed dossier about what she was looking for in a man. Her outline covered every possible facet: religion, mannerisms, hair and eye color, height, reproductive desires, family interaction (how often did he visit), what his relationship to his father and mother should be like, what holiday would be his favorite (hers was Christmas), how many kids he wanted (she hoped for a boy and a girl, God willing), how he would raise the kids, and much, much more. As if this weren’t enough, when we got to page three, the dossier read, “Now, here’s the catch…he has to be an airline pilot.”

Her father, grandfather, brother, and uncle were all pilots. She was comfortable with that lifestyle, so that was what she wanted. We all held our breath and looked to the owner to make a call. When she said no, that this was way beyond our scope, we all let out a collective sigh of relief.

∗ ∗ ∗

I got together with a group of single friends to talk about my job and the hostility I was dealing with. Was it just because I worked at a service that charged a lot of money for dates, or was it the norm for people looking for love to behave like Veruca Salt? Only now the golden ticket is a marriage proposal.

“Nope,” my friends assured me, “it’s not just you, and it’s not just about the money. It’s everywhere.” People have no patience when it comes to finding “the one.” As it turns out, they aren’t just being horrible to me, they behave atrociously to each other. My friends and I weighed in with theories on the reasons.

I blamed it on the analogies people have come up with for dating, something probably started by some high-strung psychologist trying to sell her book, Dating is like… Dating Is Like Shoe Shopping, Dating Is Like House Hunting…

One client told me she’d read a book that told her to treat a date like a job interview. So, she’d written a pitch about why any guy would be lucky to have her. Her style was “proactive and intense.” That didn’t even sound appealing on paper, much less in real life. I asked if she’d ever had fun going to a job interview, and she said that first impressions were serious business, and she wasn’t about to blow it. I tried to find a way to say as gently as I could, “Too late.”

This analogy technique allows people to look at dates as little more than inanimate objects. If that old shoe doesn’t quite fit the bill, it can be tossed back into the closet or dumped off at the thrift store. I had one woman who went to a restaurant to meet her date, and when she saw that he was wearing shorts, she asked the waiter to sneak her through the kitchen and out the back door, so she wouldn’t have to meet him. Her reason for leaving: “He wasn’t polished.” She didn’t call and cancel or say she wasn’t coming. She just left him sitting there.

Perhaps she’d read the City-Data.com forum on how long it should take to find a house and applied it to her dating technique:

Usually, people know within 30 seconds of walking into a house if it is a possibility — and it is easier to spot the “no’s” than the “yes’s.” Don’t be afraid to take one step in and another right back out. There’s no point looking at a house you know won’t work. People are amazed how many times the house looks “perfect” in pictures, but totally different in person…I can always leave feedback for the seller that the driveway/siding/location wasn’t what my buyer wanted, so they know we took a look, even if we didn’t look inside.

Unfortunately for me, I was the one who had to leave feedback for the seller. That poor guy left alone in the restaurant was crushed and embarrassed to death.

My friend Tory thought that people’s unrealistic expectations and impatience had more to do with the speed and breadth of online dating. With an online ad, you can connect with someone anywhere in the world. You’re out there with the widest net possible, whereas before, you were just looking in your own backyard.

Add to that the fact that some people pay to be a member of a service or a club. Their friends tell them, “Hey, you’re paying for it, you should get what you want, no compromises.” All of a sudden, looking to find a mate is like a Build-A-Bear workshop. Each physical characteristic becomes nonnegotiable.

My least favorite client was that type, a pushy and domineering middle-aged woman notorious for passing on dates because they didn’t meet her ever-shifting criteria. She would keep me at my office for an hour after everyone else was long gone, meticulously going over every detail of a potential date, purring out questions like the Cheshire Cat… “And what color are his eyes?” I had to stop after each question while she furiously wrote down the answers. She took these notes with her on dates, to compare the guy’s answers with mine. The saddest part is, I would sometimes spend an hour convincing her to go out with a guy, only to have him pass on her within a minute because she was too old.

We had a middle-aged man who was the opposite: he wanted to go out with everyone. The moment his date was seated, he’d slide over a glossy business card. Instead of his office information, this card featured a picturesque mountainside with lush trees shrouding a glistening lake. In the left-hand corner, his disembodied head hovered among the clouds. To the right, his list of “likes” were punctuated with bullet points: hiking, eating, and speaking French. One woman said wryly, “It’s too bad his ‘likes’ don’t include having a job or paying his own tab.”

Comments

SingleForAReason June 8, 2011 @ 2:39 p.m.

mridolf June 9, 2011 @ 9:31 a.m.

I liked the perspective of this story, being mostly female insight. I wish I had some of the money these services get.

Having personally been the subject of a one page dating service horror story published in the Reader back in the late 80s, I think I can appreciate this walk down dating service memory lane. I joined more than one back then. Some of them worked, some didn't. I also just celebrated my 21st anniversary with my dating-service met wife. We don't even think about how we met. Because the service we joined let each member choose their own dates, from photos, and videos.

When I was looking for a partner/lover/lifemate I spent a bit of time researching. One fact stood out above all others. At that time (and according to previous decades census data I looked up, BEFORE the internet), San Diego has a skewed male vs female ratio, way heavy on the male side, in every datable age group under 65. It had the highest imbalance of any city in the US, at that time. In fact, there was NO city in the US with a similar high female vs male ratio. Closest was Pittsburg. And don't blame the military. I think the census counts military members in their home district. That just makes it worse.

I laugh at the fact that there are now 'introduction' type services in airline magazines, advertised on the TV, ect. All of them still have that same basic concept, let someone else choose for you. That's wrong, from my perspective and experience.

If there's anything I learned, it's best to make your own choices, even the first date. Don't let another person, even a claimed 'professional' choose for you. I'd like to think the internet had eliminated these type of chosen introduction scams, but idiocy still exists.

And yes, men will always want someone young, and thin (or at least not fat). And women will always want someone tall, with hair, and monetarily secure. Women can't control their age, and men can't control their height. Everybody has to be more reasonable.

With the availablity of the internet and cheap travel, US men have the world to choose from. I don't know what US women have, in turn. But, having now traveled to four continents, the one statement I've heard from women outside the US, in modern developed countries and poorer ones, is that US women are unrealistic in their mating requirements (in other words, stuck up, arrogant).

By the way, my wife was not born in the US, but she went to school here and I met her here. And her family lives here, are citizens. And she's within 2 years of my age. And she, like me, struggles with her weight. And I love her atitudes, and her family. After meeting her, I was convinced to give up on US born ladies of my own age group. I think the US born ladies of my age group are a lost generation. Sorry, just experience.

SurfPuppy619 June 10, 2011 @ 9:59 p.m.

TY for speaking for all men and all women, glad to know you have met everyone and know we all want the same thing as you do.

I dont want someone young, she doesn't have to be thin and I am sure there are plenty of women who go out with men who are short or average height and some who are bald-in fact most guys age 50 or older have at least thin hair.

mridolf June 13, 2011 @ 10:53 p.m.

Hey Surfpuppy619. Are you single, or married, or maybe even divorced?

I'm married. Did it only once. And I'm not tall, and I have almost no hair on top, and I struggle with my weight, as does my wife.

I agree, if I were single again, I wouldn't look for someone much younger than me, and I'd be realistic about weight.

But, how about the women of my generation?

Actually, I really do like most of your comments on most subjects, and I agree that some of my statements came off as absolutes, which I usually try to avoid. That is, I try to never say never, or always. I was just remembering going through the profiles on that old dating service where I met my mate, and being amazed that so many men found various ways of saying 'not fat' for their ideal date, and so many women were adamant about 'tall', for theirs. Now, women don't seem to dwell on the physical as much as men, in theory. But, if height was (or is) as important to women (as the article emphasizes), then I submit the illogic of that choice. That is, can you make yourself thinner, or taller. Of course, you can lose weight. Sure it's hard. Look at 'Biggest Loser'. But can you get taller? How? But, that was the most common physical attribute the women required of their dates, as far as I can remember.

I think the whole gist of what I was trying to say, is that American women from my generation were, and are, unrealistic. And they paid for it. I swear, in my generation (boomers, I'll admit), I put up with so much flack from American women, I gave up. So I married someone from another culture, another country,(although she was already here legally, as a resident).

Look at this article from this week's Time Magazine. What have American women gained, for all their hoopla?

I wish them all they have earned.

Equalizer June 9, 2011 @ 2:02 p.m.

Instead of six words, there could be a limit of FIVE characteristics required of the partner you are looking for.

NO MORE than FIVE! That would make the focus more on what really mattered and less on the trivial non-dealbreaker imperfections that usually prevent connection between lonely hearts..

Like that cute 30yr old woman with the 6 page dossier, most people carry a mental checklist of many trivial things with which to rule out another possible match. Guess what, it works!

Most people DO rule out each other over something or other they pounced on as an imperfection, so they can say "Next" and go back home alone to their 3 cats or tiny dog..

Remember people ARE imperfect.. IF you want a human being instead of a canine greeting you at home, become more tolerant and limit your list of dealbreakers to the MOST IMPORTANT FIVE ! !

(determining those 5 can be the subject of another whole article here, which I could do if asked)

Go home, feed your cats, sit down and think about what is really most important in someone you could be involved with.. Starting with CHARACTER...

Robert Johnston June 10, 2011 @ 2:01 p.m.

Good article--brought back many memories.

I remember the old "Single" magazine that used to be sold here in San Diego County. I got a few dates by responding to the ads, and they were cool.

What wasn't cool was I ended up on a mailing list for "The Millionaire's Club" dating service. It was to expensive for me to join, so I did not bother.

Frankly, if you decide on using a dating service, you need to remember that Prince Charming or Princess Hotstuff will more than likely NOT be your first date. It's the same equation--you have to deal with a lot of candidates before you pick "the winner."

As for expectations: Some are realistic--but most are not grounded in reality. Frankly, when you meet somebody you might be interested in, you might want to remember that you are dealing with the another member of the human race. One who has both strengths and weaknesses.

If they do not meet "your needs," send them on their way--but try to be polite about it. The point about the woman leaving the restaurant via the rear door (after seeing what her date looked like) has probably inflicted a nasty psychic scar upon her date, and exposed the woman's true character (the one she was hiding all along).

Dating is like fishing--you have to keep baiting your hook and tossing the line in the water, for you never know when the fish will bite!

Enjoy our day. --LPR

JohnnyJ June 11, 2011 @ 2:07 a.m.

WHAT A FUN COVER STORY. GOOD JOB READER!!!!

Desert_Fish June 11, 2011 @ 5:27 p.m.

Wow, what a stellar cover story! Very intelligent and insightful.

MissBelisario June 13, 2011 @ 10:30 p.m.

I thoroughly enjoyed this article and recommended all my other single friends to read this. Sometimes it's very easy to get lost in our fast-paced, I want what I want now kind of world we live in... and although it works out for the material things we seek in life, when looking for a partner, that kind of attitude can be deemed selfish and limiting. Who are anyone of us to judge other people and demand perfection from our mates when in reality, day to day living with our own selves proves that we can't be perfect all the time either. Sometimes I step on the scale and see I gained 5 pounds or I haven't waxed my eyebrows so I'm a hairy beast. Oops. If a man judged me solely on things as superficial as that woman who walked out on her date because he was wearing shorts then we should all quit dating all together! In return, I don't expect The Man Of My Dreams and The Husband Of My Reality to be the exact same guy. That's why it's called fantasy. Everything is always better there otherwise there's nothing else to strive for or to escape to. However I think that's where some people get confused when they try to apply fantasy in the real world. Strive for and day dream about yes, but again, if we can't even accomplish the things we fantasize for ourselves within our control can we really be disappointed in someone who's actions, feelings and physical appearance we have no remote control to change what we don't like?  Unfortunately, we all have to share the real world with the rest of us imperfect people... I'm not one to say settle... But one must be realistic and realize that just because they themselves have a list of demands, it doesn't mean their perfect man/woman will find them to be ideal in return.  Anywho... I share the article's pain :-) Happy Hunting to all us still single and looking!