Veruca Salt: I wanted to be the first to find a Golden Ticket, Daddy!

Mr. Salt: I know, angel. We’re doing the best we can. I’ve got every girl in the place to start hunting for you.

Veruca Salt: All right, where is it? Why haven’t they found it?

Mr. Salt: Veruca, sweetheart, I’m not a magician! Give me time!

Veruca Salt: I want it now! What’s the matter with those twerps down there?

— from Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory

When I accepted the job at the dating service, I thought it was going to be personally rewarding and fun, just like the job I’d had a decade earlier as the romance specialist for a weekly newspaper. My duties at the newspaper had included helping people write their personal ads and giving advice on dating etiquette. I found that most people had at least a bit of patience with the process because, honestly, what were the other options? Going to singles’ bars? Or, perhaps, making a humiliating video at Great Expectations, only to meet a 40-year-old guy who still lived with his parents.

I was devastated when my boss told me that the personals were being phased out of the paper. Online dating and the emergence of new matchmaking services had made our ads obsolete. The world of dating was getting faster and more efficient. Never would I have imagined I’d be flipping through the paper on a Thursday morning and not see a gem like: JUMBO SHRIMP: Human Oxymoron. Male, 5'6". Small Stature, Huge Heart.

As it turned out, my time at the dating service would be anything but rewarding and fun. One evening, I called my sister crying; I’d seriously had to fight back tears twice that day. One guy had called me a dumb fuck and then hung up on me. Another guy had tried to get me fired. My sister couldn’t believe it. “My God, what happened? What did you do to him?”

The client had informed me he’d gone out to a few clubs in the Gaslamp over the weekend. He’d seen tons of girls that were really hot. Almost every one of them was someone he would date. “Everywhere I looked there was a hot girl — why can’t you match me with one of them?”

I reminded him that we weren’t head hunters. I couldn’t go downtown and recruit people to date him. We could only match people based on the clients we had in our database. I also reminded him that our service should be only one avenue to explore. I asked how many of the women he’d seen he’d talked to or asked out. His response was “NONE, that’s YOUR job! Don’t call me back until you find someone gorgeous. Not just gorgeous, out-of-my-league hot!” Click.

That week, I’d called to tell him about a possible match. A young girl had signed up who was so beautiful, I was shocked she wasn’t a model. She was so stunning, I told him, I was amazed she was single. When the client got off the phone, he called my boss and suggested she fire me. He said I’d proved his point about the service because I’d apparently been dumbfounded that a pretty girl had joined.

He decided to put his membership on hold and would look into suing to get his money back. I guess it was just as well. When I told the young girl about him, she turned down the date because he was short and bald.

∗ ∗ ∗

The premise of the dating service was simple enough. Busy professionals met with a director to discuss what they were looking for in a relationship. This included their likes, dislikes, and physical ideals. If the director felt she had a sufficient number of matches, the client paid a one-time fee of $1300 for the year and in return received a promised minimum of 12 dates. Based on the availability of appropriate matches, and the willingness to be open on all parameters, the actual number of dates could be much more.

As the coordinator, my job was doing what I loved to do best — being on the phones, telling people about their upcoming dates and arranging a time and place for them to meet. I was also the one who listened to feedback about the matches and then relayed it to the directors. If the clients had a great date, we knew we were on the right track. If it was not a great date, we could narrow the search so that next time, hopefully, we would get a closer match.

The upside for those wanting to join the service was that it was next to impossible to be turned down. Unfortunately, for those being matched, this was also the downside. Some people came with quite a bit of baggage. However, the franchise owner would chastise the directors if they tried to pass on someone because the client appeared to be too vulnerable or depressed. It didn’t matter if they spent the entire interview in tears. If they had the money and wanted to join, they could. We understood the owner’s position. How would we determine if these people were ready or not? We weren’t psychotherapists.

The directors weren’t allowed to pass on clients who had unrealistic expectations, either. One woman joined who was only 4'11" and a little heavy. She was successful and pretty, and we could have had a ton of dates for her. But she insisted that her matches be between 5'11" and 6'4". She said that large men made her feel “dainty.” The owner insisted we take her, even though she wouldn’t budge on the height issue. She reminded us that “You may have someone tall walk in this afternoon, dying to date someone short and round.”

The owner often said, “Who are we to judge?”

One client loved to hike, bike, swim, and play volleyball — but he preferred to engage in those activities at a nudist resort. Since our directors had no way of knowing how many people in the database would enjoy the same thing, it was not their place to pass judgment, or to determine if this man would find a match using our service.

Comments

SingleForAReason June 8, 2011 @ 2:39 p.m.

mridolf June 9, 2011 @ 9:31 a.m.

I liked the perspective of this story, being mostly female insight. I wish I had some of the money these services get.

Having personally been the subject of a one page dating service horror story published in the Reader back in the late 80s, I think I can appreciate this walk down dating service memory lane. I joined more than one back then. Some of them worked, some didn't. I also just celebrated my 21st anniversary with my dating-service met wife. We don't even think about how we met. Because the service we joined let each member choose their own dates, from photos, and videos.

When I was looking for a partner/lover/lifemate I spent a bit of time researching. One fact stood out above all others. At that time (and according to previous decades census data I looked up, BEFORE the internet), San Diego has a skewed male vs female ratio, way heavy on the male side, in every datable age group under 65. It had the highest imbalance of any city in the US, at that time. In fact, there was NO city in the US with a similar high female vs male ratio. Closest was Pittsburg. And don't blame the military. I think the census counts military members in their home district. That just makes it worse.

I laugh at the fact that there are now 'introduction' type services in airline magazines, advertised on the TV, ect. All of them still have that same basic concept, let someone else choose for you. That's wrong, from my perspective and experience.

If there's anything I learned, it's best to make your own choices, even the first date. Don't let another person, even a claimed 'professional' choose for you. I'd like to think the internet had eliminated these type of chosen introduction scams, but idiocy still exists.

And yes, men will always want someone young, and thin (or at least not fat). And women will always want someone tall, with hair, and monetarily secure. Women can't control their age, and men can't control their height. Everybody has to be more reasonable.

With the availablity of the internet and cheap travel, US men have the world to choose from. I don't know what US women have, in turn. But, having now traveled to four continents, the one statement I've heard from women outside the US, in modern developed countries and poorer ones, is that US women are unrealistic in their mating requirements (in other words, stuck up, arrogant).

By the way, my wife was not born in the US, but she went to school here and I met her here. And her family lives here, are citizens. And she's within 2 years of my age. And she, like me, struggles with her weight. And I love her atitudes, and her family. After meeting her, I was convinced to give up on US born ladies of my own age group. I think the US born ladies of my age group are a lost generation. Sorry, just experience.

SurfPuppy619 June 10, 2011 @ 9:59 p.m.

TY for speaking for all men and all women, glad to know you have met everyone and know we all want the same thing as you do.

I dont want someone young, she doesn't have to be thin and I am sure there are plenty of women who go out with men who are short or average height and some who are bald-in fact most guys age 50 or older have at least thin hair.

mridolf June 13, 2011 @ 10:53 p.m.

Hey Surfpuppy619. Are you single, or married, or maybe even divorced?

I'm married. Did it only once. And I'm not tall, and I have almost no hair on top, and I struggle with my weight, as does my wife.

I agree, if I were single again, I wouldn't look for someone much younger than me, and I'd be realistic about weight.

But, how about the women of my generation?

Actually, I really do like most of your comments on most subjects, and I agree that some of my statements came off as absolutes, which I usually try to avoid. That is, I try to never say never, or always. I was just remembering going through the profiles on that old dating service where I met my mate, and being amazed that so many men found various ways of saying 'not fat' for their ideal date, and so many women were adamant about 'tall', for theirs. Now, women don't seem to dwell on the physical as much as men, in theory. But, if height was (or is) as important to women (as the article emphasizes), then I submit the illogic of that choice. That is, can you make yourself thinner, or taller. Of course, you can lose weight. Sure it's hard. Look at 'Biggest Loser'. But can you get taller? How? But, that was the most common physical attribute the women required of their dates, as far as I can remember.

I think the whole gist of what I was trying to say, is that American women from my generation were, and are, unrealistic. And they paid for it. I swear, in my generation (boomers, I'll admit), I put up with so much flack from American women, I gave up. So I married someone from another culture, another country,(although she was already here legally, as a resident).

Look at this article from this week's Time Magazine. What have American women gained, for all their hoopla?

I wish them all they have earned.

Equalizer June 9, 2011 @ 2:02 p.m.

Instead of six words, there could be a limit of FIVE characteristics required of the partner you are looking for.

NO MORE than FIVE! That would make the focus more on what really mattered and less on the trivial non-dealbreaker imperfections that usually prevent connection between lonely hearts..

Like that cute 30yr old woman with the 6 page dossier, most people carry a mental checklist of many trivial things with which to rule out another possible match. Guess what, it works!

Most people DO rule out each other over something or other they pounced on as an imperfection, so they can say "Next" and go back home alone to their 3 cats or tiny dog..

Remember people ARE imperfect.. IF you want a human being instead of a canine greeting you at home, become more tolerant and limit your list of dealbreakers to the MOST IMPORTANT FIVE ! !

(determining those 5 can be the subject of another whole article here, which I could do if asked)

Go home, feed your cats, sit down and think about what is really most important in someone you could be involved with.. Starting with CHARACTER...

Robert Johnston June 10, 2011 @ 2:01 p.m.

Good article--brought back many memories.

I remember the old "Single" magazine that used to be sold here in San Diego County. I got a few dates by responding to the ads, and they were cool.

What wasn't cool was I ended up on a mailing list for "The Millionaire's Club" dating service. It was to expensive for me to join, so I did not bother.

Frankly, if you decide on using a dating service, you need to remember that Prince Charming or Princess Hotstuff will more than likely NOT be your first date. It's the same equation--you have to deal with a lot of candidates before you pick "the winner."

As for expectations: Some are realistic--but most are not grounded in reality. Frankly, when you meet somebody you might be interested in, you might want to remember that you are dealing with the another member of the human race. One who has both strengths and weaknesses.

If they do not meet "your needs," send them on their way--but try to be polite about it. The point about the woman leaving the restaurant via the rear door (after seeing what her date looked like) has probably inflicted a nasty psychic scar upon her date, and exposed the woman's true character (the one she was hiding all along).

Dating is like fishing--you have to keep baiting your hook and tossing the line in the water, for you never know when the fish will bite!

Enjoy our day. --LPR

JohnnyJ June 11, 2011 @ 2:07 a.m.

WHAT A FUN COVER STORY. GOOD JOB READER!!!!

Desert_Fish June 11, 2011 @ 5:27 p.m.

Wow, what a stellar cover story! Very intelligent and insightful.

MissBelisario June 13, 2011 @ 10:30 p.m.

I thoroughly enjoyed this article and recommended all my other single friends to read this. Sometimes it's very easy to get lost in our fast-paced, I want what I want now kind of world we live in... and although it works out for the material things we seek in life, when looking for a partner, that kind of attitude can be deemed selfish and limiting. Who are anyone of us to judge other people and demand perfection from our mates when in reality, day to day living with our own selves proves that we can't be perfect all the time either. Sometimes I step on the scale and see I gained 5 pounds or I haven't waxed my eyebrows so I'm a hairy beast. Oops. If a man judged me solely on things as superficial as that woman who walked out on her date because he was wearing shorts then we should all quit dating all together! In return, I don't expect The Man Of My Dreams and The Husband Of My Reality to be the exact same guy. That's why it's called fantasy. Everything is always better there otherwise there's nothing else to strive for or to escape to. However I think that's where some people get confused when they try to apply fantasy in the real world. Strive for and day dream about yes, but again, if we can't even accomplish the things we fantasize for ourselves within our control can we really be disappointed in someone who's actions, feelings and physical appearance we have no remote control to change what we don't like?  Unfortunately, we all have to share the real world with the rest of us imperfect people... I'm not one to say settle... But one must be realistic and realize that just because they themselves have a list of demands, it doesn't mean their perfect man/woman will find them to be ideal in return.  Anywho... I share the article's pain :-) Happy Hunting to all us still single and looking!