My daughter and I went on a Sunday drive July 17 on Black Mountain Road. We came to a large flat rock and decided to get out of the car and sit in the sun...but the strong scent of animal decay permeated the area.

I looked and found the worse case of animal abuse I've ever encountered. There was a path of fur to the place where the dog lay; its front legs badly burned, half its face burned, and its eyes still open.

It seemed obvious that one or more people had recently brought the golden retriever out here, bound its legs with strips of a T-shirt, used part of the T-Shirt to tie around a stick, set that on fire, and then set the dog on fire...and then kicked or pushed the burning dog down the mountain.

Who did this and why? And was it their dog or someone's beloved family member?

Sociopathic behavior has been studied for centuries and it has been shown that many who are afflicted usually have a past that involves some form of cruelty to animals. Let's stop this criminal now, before we have another serial killer on the loose in San Diego.

Comments

Twister July 19, 2011 @ 8:59 p.m.

This is a crime and should be investigated by the police. When you come upon a crime scene, report it, but don't disturb the site. If you do your own "investigating" you may (probably will) destroy crucial evidence.

Twister July 20, 2011 @ 9:22 a.m.

To see what an "advanced" species can do to another, see "Project Nim."

my2cnz July 21, 2011 @ 11:34 a.m.

Did you take photo's of crime scene, dog, etc? Did you report this to animal control? They will need a body to do necropsy to determine cause of death.

Jill Ballard July 21, 2011 @ 12:55 p.m.

Sick! We need to capture this psychopath!

Twister July 21, 2011 @ 7:52 p.m.

Only recently I saw on TV that ball-player who got caught (apparently the biggest crime to him) fighting and killing dogs. He was obviously carefully scripted, but I could detect no note of contrition on his face or in his voice. I haven't heard him express any other convincing regret. Apparently, he has not fallen sufficiently out of favor with advertisers and the public to place him in eternal disgrace. He seems to think he has "paid the price."

I hope I'm wrong. Please advise me of evidence that will refute these impressions. I, too, have made mistakes. I, too, grew up poor. Fortunately, my corner of this culture did not tolerate animal abuse, and when they killed them, did so as humanely as possible. Temple Grandin made the most of her difference as one considered "autistic," and has made her mark on this culture for the good. Her books, "Animals Make Us Human" and "Animals in Translation" can help us all understand our kinship with all life.

Laurin July 22, 2011 @ 12:12 a.m.

sorry to burst your bubble, but Obama dod not pardon Micheal Vick.

Duhbya July 22, 2011 @ 10:34 a.m.

And while the subject is nigh, what's with all this turkey pardoning every November?

Laurin July 22, 2011 @ 12:27 p.m.

Don't know about turkey pardoning every November, I just eat em', not pardon em'. Some friends of ours have a ranch out Santa Barbara way. They used to raise turkeys anf them give them away to their friends at Thanksgiving time. Nothing better at Thanksgiving than a fresh turkey.

Laurin July 24, 2011 @ 10 a.m.

Well, gee whiz golly. How about this one? http://djneedle914.com/?p=371
Or maybe this one? http://unconfirmedsources.com/?itemid=2736

Is that the best you can do?? So President Obama called Eagle owner Jeffrey Lurie to praise the Eagles for giving Vick a chance. Get real! That is not a pardon or a commutation of his sentence or clememncy, presidential or otherwise. There has been no forgiveness of his crime or the cancellation of his penalty, and he has not been officially released from any further punishment Vick is still a convicted felon and is still on probation until November of 2012 and if he violates the terms of his probation, he can still be sent back to prison, none of which could occur if he had been pardoned. But by all means, fell free to believe what you want, without regard for the actual facts. As I said, sorry to burst your bubble.

Twister July 21, 2011 @ 9:08 p.m.

I will not speak his name. I will not patronize any business who does. Please do not pre-judge all "blacks" or even BET on the basis of the behavior of one person or even a great number. That why it’s called PREJUDICE!

Shall I vote for Michelle B? I WOULD vote for Michelle O! Or Elizabeth Warren. B. O. has made a lot of stinky and outrageous errers, but nobody's perfeckt. The most important thing is not to pout, but get out, and VOTE. Even if it's the lesser of the evils available, especially when the brains are on that side too.

Arf, arf!

PS: Grandin DID NOT "help" slaughter houses kill cows; she helped them be more humane about it! Would you rather that she had left the slaughter houses in the even more despicable condition they were in before she came in and helped them reduce fear in the animals, helped them turn a bit from their torturous ways? I know not what others may say, but as for me, give me one calm cow over one that's scared to death!

SurfPuppy619 July 23, 2011 @ 5:42 p.m.

Shall I vote for Michelle B? I WOULD vote for Michelle O! Or Elizabeth Warren

I had contacted Warren to be an expert witness for me, she never even responded.

The Obama "pardon" of Vick was "unofficial" in that he called the Eagles owner and said he though givign Vick another chance in football was nice, accroding to that Source website.

This is funny b/c this Vick pardon thing has been all over FB the last few days....

Twister July 23, 2011 @ 8:42 p.m.

SP's Warren report is a little thin on details. When people don't respond to me, I just contact them again if the issue is of great importance. I have made the "deafening silence" complaint many times myself, but I should have considered that there can be all kinds of reasons, other than indifference, that people, particularly those up to their ears in political alligators, have to sleep sometime, and their inbox runneth over big-time. Hell, even mine does, and while I make a sincere attempt to be properly responsive, I do screw up--infrequently, but I do screw up.

If it is true that B.O. approved of "forgiving" Vick, that doesn't endear me to him, but still would vote for him despite all his accumulate errors to date--unless the GOP can come up with someone other than the flock of turkeys they are parading now. If I heard of more serious transgressions on the part of E.W., I might change my mind about her. I think M.O. thinks on her feet better than her man, but I'm ready to change--on the basis of EVIDENCE--with respect to her too. Or anybody else any time.

^!ck the Dick is unrepentant in my view, but if he made a sincere (as opposed to crafted) statement about the seriousness of his crime and continued to speak from the heart, I might change my mind on that too. But he most assuredly doesn't give a dam about that.

Duhbya July 25, 2011 @ 7:27 a.m.

Good day. While respecting your views on this matter, I'm thinking that by design you might not be aware of some of the background pertaining to Obama's approbation of the felon. About two years ago, the highly respected ex-Colts/Bucs coach Tony Dungy visited the man in prison and came away with the opinion that he was truly repentant for what he had done. As such, Dungy assumed the role of mentor (a role he has taken on with many young players for 15 years, and has spent a lot of time counseling players in prison)and helped guide the perp after his sentence was served, some would say with the sole aim of getting the QB back into football. While that was indeed a part of the plan, I believe Mr. Dungy's intentions and grasp of the situation were genuine. In fact, most teams passed on the offer, except the Philadelphia Eagles. Their coach, Andy Reid, has two sons who are in jail for drug offenses. And Dungy's son committed suicide in 2005. Perhaps this unusual bond helps explain why they thought the ex-player in question might be allowed a second chance. While the Eagles were extremely concerned about fan reaction, they decided to take a chance on the QB, as long as Dungy would vouch for the player. The owner of the Eagles is a rabid (please forgive me) dog lover, and struggled mightily with the decision, which he ultimately made due to Dungy's involvement.

Here's an excerpt from four months ago: "Eagles quarterback _ _ _ _ made the most of his lockout downtime on Saturday by joining former Bucs and Colts coach Tony Dungy, now a mainstay on NBC’s Football Night in America, for a visit to a Tampa-area prison. They were joined by 35 members of Abe Brown Ministries. 'It was very humbling and at the same time, a bit overwhelming. You really didn’t know what to expect,” _ _ said, per the Associated Press. “Hopefully I can be an example to somebody. The thing that I was trying to get across is that we all can be instruments of change. That’s something that I’ve been proactive about since I stepped out of prison and I’m enjoying every minute of it. 'I told _ _ when we met in Leavenworth is that he’d be able to do some things, say some things and reach some people that no one else can,” Dungy said. “Other people can go in and say ‘Here is what you should do.’ It may be coming from somebody who they really respect, but not somebody who really knows what they’ve been through." - Mike Florio on March 19, 2011 on nbcsports.com

I'm hoping this might help clarify what might have added to Obama's decision to come out in favor of giving people second chances, while in no way downplaying the horrors associated with the crime.

SurfPuppy619 July 25, 2011 @ 1:02 p.m.

TY for posting this info. I didn't know it.

I agree with you 100%, Tony Dungy is one heck a solid citizen, and a real role model for the youth.

I have seen him many times on TV (AFTER he won the Superbowl), and his demeanor and attitude are spot on in your comments.

tomjohnston July 25, 2011 @ 5:56 p.m.

Jeffrey Lurie is also a life long Democrat. He's donated probably hundreds of thousands of dollars to the Democratic party. He was a staunch supporter of Hillary Clinton in the primaries and tranfered to Obama after he won the primary. For any poitical neophytes out there, PA is a very important state in any Presidential election. Eveyone is free to form their own opinion as to whether or not he would have made the call if Vick was just some dumb redneck instead of a gifted black athlete. But make no mistake about it, politics played a part. If Jeffrey Lurie is a Republican, the call does not get made.

Twister July 25, 2011 @ 4:27 p.m.

I hope a careful read of my previous post will reveal that I left open lots of room for reconciliation. I'm glad Duhbya brought this up. I have the greatest respect for those who have been through the hell of prison and come out a better man or woman. So I hope you understand that I am not crucifying _ or anyone else because they did a bad thing and got straight. I am not "without sin" either, and might have become a dog-fightin' man had I grown up in a different environment. I was fortunate to have real men (some who did crime) and women (some who did crime) for "role models," but they weren't angels. But animal abuse was one thing they would not tolerate. That, they thought, took a special kind of coward; one who would take advantage of a weaker or dumber creature, human or not. They would whip the cowards' asses on the spot, in a fair fight.

So the issue is not "forgiveness." The issue is living with one's past by living a present and a future that is worthy of respect--especially from one's self. (I, for example, frankly don't give a damn what others think of me--I do give a damn what I think of me.)

A lot of young men get led off the track by a "peer" group into the idea that brutality is a manly characteristic. WRONG. Courage is a manly characteristic. But using the suffering of other creatures, including humans, is not manly, it is the extension of the childish, adolescent attitude that brutality raises ones standing in the crowd (true, in too many cases). Standing against brutality is what takes courage. (I'm not, however, suggesting that anyone do this in prison.)

I could personally care less about this mutha and his millions or how puffed up he is about his "accomplishments." Somebody like that is no kind of man at all in my book, but that's my book not everyone else's. I'm with Thomas Jefferson: "I have sworn eternal vigilance over every form of tyranny over the mind of man [including woman]."

I sincerely hope that ___ has changed, but I don't see it. That doesn't mean that it isn't there, but I have a strong suspicion that he's just shinin' me on. I hope that I'm wrong, but my experience leads me to follow my instincts unless I have enough evidence to prove myself wrong. Cons, are not merely con-victs, they are often borderline personalities whose specialty in life is making their BS stick. MAN up, _!

Duhbya July 26, 2011 @ 4:40 a.m.

"27.I hope a careful read of my previous post will reveal that I left open lots of room for reconciliation."

Oh, undoubtedly. I had no difficulty discerning your point of view on the unseemly incident and its aftermath. And I agree that it's not about forgiveness. I was primarily attempting to demonstrate the possible reasoning, wrong or right, behind Obama's gesture. I have zero respect for unohoo, and your comment "I have a strong suspicion that he's just shinin' me on" is a point taken overwhelmingly. And your inspirational sentence "(I, for example, frankly don't give a damn what others think of me--I do give a damn what I think of me.)" are words to live by. Thank you for sharing that one especially.

David Dodd July 26, 2011 @ 7:35 a.m.

Hey Dub, you're a good man. Thank you.

Duhbya July 26, 2011 @ 10:55 a.m.

Hi, there, _ _ , ;>) and back atchya! I've missed you and your eloquence. Hope all is well down south. I've been thinking of you recently. I stumbled upon a new, to me, brand of mescal, El Charro, and have offered up a couple of "saludos" to you lately.

.....John

Twister July 26, 2011 @ 8:39 a.m.

MacKenzie might have wrought a Pulitzer, in my book, with her piece. In any case, the piece strikes at the very heart of what the human animal has become--a Jeckyll and Hyde species on steroids.

This "local" story opened up, albeit to a small audience, the wounds felt by millions when the “larger” story of the ball-player opened up (by the national media, because the fact that the Law of Fame, “you are what your publicity says you are,” applied) then straight to the President of the United States' role in it. Properly so. The President, at his or her best, should set an example for the rest of us, represent the content of our best moral character, take the high-road, and preserve the precious, but rapidly-eroding fragments of our moral core.

But here, in this little corner of the Blogosphere, here in this most significant insignificant, minor news item, reported by an untrained citizen-journalist without "training," has opened up perhaps one of the most significant and fundamental issues of our time, of all time, echoed over centuries and millennia, by voice, by print, by actions: “To be or not to be, that is the question.” --Hamlet, William Shakespeare. Evidence is growing (e.g., http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblogs/dispatches-hill/2011/jul/25/the-watching-birds/#c92425 ) that other species are “hard-wired” with this quality (this too, “right here in River City!”), as it is that somewhere along the line, “we” have shorted out.

“The opposite of love is not hate, the opposite of love is indifference.” –Oscar Wilde