With the 100th anniversary of Ronald Reagan’s birthday (February 6) days away, I am launching a proposal to rename the San Diego–Coronado Bay Bridge in honor of the 40th president of the United States.

I have gathered more than 200 petition signatures in support of renaming the span Ronald Reagan–Coronado Memorial Bridge. I intend to gather more than 1000 signatures during the next few weeks on the Reagan Memorial Bridge website (www.ronaldreaganbridge.com) and present them to elected officials shortly after the beginning of the Reagan Centennial Celebration (a yearlong series of programs and events sponsored by the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation).

Throughout his life, Ronald Reagan had a special bond with San Diego, and he connected with thousands of local residents during his three decades of public service. Research completed this year found that Ronald Reagan’s ties to the San Diego region extended beyond his presidency:

On August 1969, then-governor Reagan gave the dedication speech for the San Diego–Coronado Bay Bridge. Reagan was also a frequent visitor to the Hotel Del Coronado during his terms as governor and president. He held events at the hotel, including a meeting with the president of Mexico in 1986.

Comments

x76 Feb. 1, 2011 @ 1:43 p.m.

Reagan, that great orange-haired communicator, was a dismal California Governor and a worse US President. The notion of renaming the Coronado Bay Bridge after Reagan is bizarre. The GOP's unending beatification of Reagan is delusional thinking at its finest. From his insane defense deficit spending to raping Greneda in an effort to rehabilitate the abuse of the US military following Viet Nam to deep cuts in health and human services spending, not to mention the utterly discredited "trickle down" economics of that era, Reagan represents the worst the US has to offer. The Presidency was his greatest role. He was a figurehead for what in an unvarnished light might be called fascism, neatly packaged for easy sound-bite consumption. Rename the Coronado Bay Bridge after Reagan? I don't think so.

Visduh Feb. 1, 2011 @ 2:06 p.m.

Sadly it was almost predictable that this modest proposal result in a comment that equated Reagan and fascism. Hey x76, didn't you hear your president say we should tone down the rhetoric? Probably not. After all, it's only the right that speaks in harsh tones.

2crudedudes Feb. 1, 2011 @ 2:55 p.m.

Hey Visduh, is he not your president as well or are you outside the U.S.?

qpodad Feb. 1, 2011 @ 3:49 p.m.

I hope your re-naming effort fails miserably. I am ashamed he was ever elected president. My dad explained to me (I was five years old then, and still remember how angry my dad was about this shameful choice of Reagan's), in no uncertain terms, how it was no accident that Reagan announced his presidential candidacy in Philadelphia, Mississippi. You know, the town where the four civil rights workers will killed by KKK members to send a message that outsiders should mind there own business or they would be murdered? See here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A39345-2004Jun13.html :

"Philadelphia, county seat of Mississippi's Neshoba County, is famous for a couple of things. That is where three civil rights workers -- Michael Schwerner, James Chaney and Andrew Goodman -- were murdered in 1964. And that is where, in 1980, Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan chose to launch his election campaign, with a ringing endorsement of "states' rights."

Furthermore, my dad let me know what a racist, p.o.s. coward Reagan was to use the dog-whistle phrase "states' rights" to appeal to the KKK and other southern racist groups. This phrase would seem harmless, if you don't know the dark history of it and how it is really a code-phrase for racists meaning, basically, "white power".

You should be ashamed of yourself, especially if you already knew about this low, low, low moment in political race-baiting by Reagan. There is no excusing this execrable conduct, and certainly no one can pretend Reagan somehow did not realize the history of Philadelphia, Miss., or that he did not know the coded meaning of "states' rights".

FACT: He was either a racist, or was quite willing to portray himself as one to "excite" the southern voting bloc he knew he needed to win the election. Your choice, but either way, he deserves no honor of any kind from real Americans. You can disagree with me politically about his legacy, but I don't forgive racist overtures, especially coldly calculated ones like this, and you lose all credibility if you try to overlook this or explain. I call it what it is: racism.

In conclusion, I wish massive failure on your efforts, cheers!

photojak Feb. 1, 2011 @ 8:15 p.m.

Reagan was an insult to the integrity of the presidential office. His simplistic approach to world events was short sighted and out of step with the long term needs of both our country and for our association with other world leaders. His star wars initiative has, to this day drained our research resources and proven no practical function. Thinking he was all powerful was a part of his delusions of the world. His destructive approaches to the environment and his dismantling of the solar panels on the roof of the White House was part of his blindness to this world we all live in. Naming the Coronado bridge in honor of this false idol might serve a delusional right wing wanting to thump their bony chests with this form of false pride but it will be a black eye for San Diego. Not all of us are so sold out to the falsity that Reagan represented.

Ponzi Feb. 1, 2011 @ 9:52 p.m.

Ronald Reagan was a great president. He was instrumental in ending the Cold War. He made the world safer. He encouraged the USSR to dissolve and allow, formerly isolated territories, to seek independence, reform and democracy.

Reagan would be ashamed of the Republican Party today. He would not appreciate Rush Limbaugh and he would scold John McCain and his team for even thinking of putting Sarah Palin on the ticket. Reagan would not approve of Palin or any of the other idiots that have hijacked the party he championed.

Founder Feb. 2, 2011 @ 7:59 a.m.

I would not support that idea at all, I think if we were to consider renaming the bridge, the "Wings of Gold" Bridge honoring the 1911 birth place of Naval Aviation (Coronado) would be a far, far better name!

GO NAVY

If we renamed the bridge it would then be known Nationally as:

San Diego's Bridge to Nowhere!

Let's name the new Downtown (aka: Guacamole Bowl) Stadium after him instead, since that also does not make any sense at all...

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned that Reagan had Alzheimer's Disease (many think for a long time) while serving as our President, maybe in reality, history will show that Nancy Reagan was our first Women President! http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-917850.html

Javajoe25 Feb. 2, 2011 @ 10:30 a.m.

I can't believe anyone is serious about renaming the bridge after Ronald Reagan. I wouldn't name an outhouse after a louse like him.

It was during Reagan's presidency that we saw cuts to social services, education, and mental health programs. Thanks to Reagan, the streets of America quickly became populated by the homeless and mentally ill, that we still see roaming our neighborhoods to this day.

That senile, mean-spirited moron, while living like a king with his Hollywood money and millionaire supporters, wanted ketchup to count as a vegetable for public schoolchildren.

I doubt the man ever had an original thought in his life. He was a phony starting as far back as the 40's when he led the Screen Actor's Guild and gave speeches about the need for control over the powerful corporations. He did a complete flip-flop when he started making the big money and abandoned his working class friends to become the mouthpiece for the big dogs. Once they discovered the dimwit could remember and recite lines real well, they knew they had found their man. Even his son is now saying that he thought his dad's mind was going during his last few years in office. Personally, I never thought it was there to begin with.

I hope this effort goes nowhere. I wonder too if this isn't another effort to de-hispanicize the face of San Diego. After all, Coronado does not have the same whitebread ring to it like Reagan does.

Brian619 Feb. 2, 2011 @ 3:14 p.m.

It seems that society is on this kick of renaming places and things just to suit the times. But I definitely agree with all the previous posters..WHY?

Regan was an Army man if you're going to rename the bridge, lets rename it with someone with the Naval background who also was beneficial for San Diego...but NOT Randy Cunningham. Heck, I've been stationed in Coronado for over 15 years, paid the tolls and endured the traffic...but that doesn't mean I want the bridge named after me.

No matter what you officially call it...it's been the Coronado Bridge to every San Diegan since 1969 and it will never shed the name. Just another bad idea.

johnfmason92118 Feb. 3, 2011 @ 9:01 p.m.

I love Ronald Reagan and I am a Republican, BUT naming the Coronado bridge after him is inappropriate because credit is due elsewhere according to the facts.

The truth is the bridge was built by banker and philanthropist, JOHN ALESSIO (former owner of the Hotel Del Coronado) and GOV. EDMUND G. "PAT" BROWN, Jerry Brown's father (the incoming governor, and a Democrat). It would be like renaming the island, Reagan Island --

Mr. Vazquez, as an economist, please pursue campaigns that will improve the economy, not frivolous self-serving projects. Thank you.