If You Are Smarter

In phone conversations with Tyler, Donald said he was eventually made to understand that Bonnie was a dumb country girl and that he was a stupid blue-collar worker. His stepson explained that if you are smarter than someone else and you take advantage of that person, then that’s just the way it is. As if there’s nothing wrong with it.

Donald said he tried phoning law enforcement in the Temecula area in June 2007.

Finally, in October 2007, Donald was steered to an attorney, and together they revoked the power of attorney that Donald had granted his wheeling-dealing stepson.

Published reports indicate Tyler fled to Hawaii in 2007, and he lived there through 2008. He reportedly lived in the expensive Honolulu neighborhood of Kahala, where he went by Kevin Kennedy — and four other names. After some time, a grand jury in Oahu indicted the multi-named man for stealing $130,000 from Hawaiian banks; he reportedly registered four fake businesses and a charity in that state and then opened bank accounts for each. All this was reported in the Honolulu Star-Bulletin, which quoted a prosecutor who described Tyler Adams as “a con man, a sociopath who had no regard for the victims’ property or those who might be affected by his criminal activity.”

Fraud investigators in San Diego County got an arrest warrant for Tyler in July 2009. After months of searching, they found him moving his belongings out of one of his properties in La Jolla. In November 2009, he was taken into custody.

Donald flew out from Pennsylvania to testify in the Vista courthouse in June 2011. In the three-day preliminary hearing, the prosecutor showed Donald many documents; he said, “No, that is not my signature” probably 30 times.

Prosecutor Anna Winn: “I do think this case will
go to trial.”

Prosecutor Anna Winn: “I do think this case will go to trial.”

Deputy district attorney Anna Winn said the prodigal stepson purchased multiple properties using the identities of both parents and collected more than $180,000 in commissions alone because he posed as both a loan officer and a real estate agent. Tyler never made any payments, and he defaulted on at least five mortgages, Winn alleged. Tyler collected rent from tenants at some of the properties and pocketed the money, the prosecutor said. He also opened up credit lines to buy clothing and computers and to charge common living expenses such as groceries and gasoline.

Tyler faces more than 39 years in prison if he is convicted of all 48 felonies in the current complaint. As the months have gone by since his arrest in 2009, the deputy district attorney has added more charges. The defendant’s trial has been delayed in part because he tried acting as his own attorney. “He’s given me more time to work on it,” prosecutor Winn said with a smile. While Tyler was acting as his own attorney, he filed motions that stated, “This was a monetary dispute civil matter amongst family members from the very beginning.”

Tyler is pleading not guilty now through a public defender. He is currently scheduled to go on trial on September 19. “I do think the case will go to trial,” said Winn. “If Tyler takes the stand, I know he will try his best to come up with some innocent explanations, but I think the evidence of his criminal intent is obvious. Actions speak louder than words, after all.”

Comments

Visduh Aug. 18, 2011 @ 11:52 a.m.

"Use his good credit rating?" Riiight! Abuse it and trash it is more like it. Some folks are just too dumb to make it through life. This poor slob was a sitting duck, and now he's a nearly dead one.

girlduck26 Aug. 24, 2011 @ 5:40 p.m.

I knew Tyler about 10 years ago. He told me his great grandmother Mimi raised him in Boston for the first 5 years of his life because his Mom got pregnant to a guy and wasn't ready to raise a child. He claimed that when he was 5, his Mom wanted him back. In fact, I used to have her high school photo hanging in my bedroom, but then when we broke up he had it. He told me his step dad was emotionally abusive and some other things...... I never knew what was true or not. While I was with him, Tyler told me he had borrowed $5,000 from another Penn State student at the main campus (which is where we met). She was an ex girlfriend and he used the money to buy a car....it was like a gold Camry. I helped him take out a loan to pay her back and I think he only gave her a couple hundred of the $5,000 we took out...and I ended up paying on. I don't think she ever got her money back and I felt stupid for not handing it to her directly...but I wanted HIM to do it so he had some dignity paying her back and it wasn't like I was treating him like a child. I also trusted him. Her name is Titinun and that was in 2001 and 2002. I don't know her last name....he said she was from Thialand. I saw her from a distance at a movie theater once and she was pretty. I think she really needed the money...I thought she once even tried to take him to court for it there in Centre County, PA. Tyler was a liar and scammy when I knew him but then he began working really hard and I thought he had changed and was on the path to doing good things. I thought he turned his life around....it is very sad he didn't. The last time I was in contact with him was about 2005, and I thought that he was really happy and settling down and had a good career etc. But that was long distance via email by then.....so he could say anything and I wouldn't know the truth. I feel terrible for him...that he was so currupt and stupid to ruin his life like this. Such a waste. He can be charming, funny, romantic and should have used his intelligence to do something good in the world.

Fred Williams Sept. 7, 2011 @ 8:11 a.m.

This story reminds me of what John Moores did to the city of San Diego...but of course Moores got away with it.

Similarities:

1. Moores conned San Diego into using its good credit to engage in land speculation. The city issued municipal bonds, in violation of SEC regulations, and lost its credit rating as a result.

2. Moores used loans taken out in San Diego's name to build his money losing ballpark...the team didn't pay more than symbolic rent. Now taxpayers on on the hook for $15 million a year until 2038.

3. Moores used CCDC influence and money to cheaply acquire downtown land, which he flipped as soon as he could. Some of those properties which he enriched himself with are now in foreclosure.

4. Moores openly bribed at least one member of the city council, who resigned in disgrace after accepting "illegal gifts"...but Moores was never charged.

5. Moores broke the MOU with the city repeatedly, building condos instead of hotels and offices as promised. Those condos are now largely vacant, underwater, and un-sellable.

If only the District Attorney's office would prosecute John Moores as we see this "Tyler Adams" being prosecuted...both are obvious sociopaths, uncaring about the destruction they brought down on their victims.

Moores stole money from everyone in the City of San Diego, and his criminal acts set in motion the chain of events (underfunding pensions, overpromising benefits) that has left the city in long term financial distress.

We are all like the step-father in this story, ripped-off because we trusted someone we thought was close to us. Moores used the Padres to worm his way into San Diego, and then he coldly stole hundreds of millions.

It's long past time to prosecute John Moores.

Best,

Fred Williams

Fred Williams Sept. 7, 2011 @ 11:17 p.m.

For more details of how John Moores worked his criminal enterprise in San Diego, read "Paradise Plundered".

How this massive fraud on every tax payer of San Diego cannot be prosecuted escapes me...

girlduck26 Sept. 8, 2011 @ 10:29 p.m.

What I would like to know is WHO ON EARTH taught Tyler to make fake ID's or gave them to him. I knew him 10 years ago and only ever saw a couple ID's...and they were all with his "Tyler Adams" name on them. HOW does a person get a bunch of ID cards that fool people?! Why? So strange and sad. I knew he had three names...but he explained them to me and his explanations made sense. Kevin Michael Schoolcraft. Kevin Michael. Tyler Adams. There was one time I found out he told someone his name was Austin Hamilton and I thought that was weird......but I never saw ID cards with any name but Tyler Adams.

adamsisafraud Jan. 8, 2012 @ 9:05 p.m.

Tyler Adams is truly an evil person all the way to his core. I was his cell mate for the better part of 4 months and there is nothing that will ever change him. I tried to help him and then he turned around and stabbed me in the back. I am blown away by his mental capacity to cause others harm. Prisons are built for people like him. I hope DA Anna Winn convicts him on all 56 counts and that the judge gives him the max, stack consecutive. Anything short of that would be a real miscarriage of justice.

girlduck26 March 6, 2012 @ 6:09 p.m.

So....what IS the status of this case? I have found online court dates but don't know what they are for. I see the next one is in May.

Ponderer June 12, 2012 @ 11:22 p.m.

Seems to me there could be two sides to this story. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense that the guy could have bought properties and gotten credit in his Dad's name for two years without Dad knowing about it. They were all in on it no doubt.

girlduck26 June 13, 2012 @ 1:54 p.m.

As someone who knew Tyler for about 2 years (2001-2003 in person), he is slick. Erase the photo you see on this article out of your mind...this is an inmate look. He was a pretty boy before...well dressed, well mannered, smooth talking, charming, funny, smart....actually seemed like a hard worker. It is NOT out of the question to me that he duped his family for a couple years. Or even if they found out what he was doing after a shorter time, he probably came up with all kinds of explanations and run-around stories that just strung them along. And he is good at sob stories too. I could see how his parents could be deceived. WISHing for the best.... I would think they were nieve and trusting...not crooks. I would NOT blame them. Really. I don't know them...but I would NOT blame them. Tyler had the same attitude with me at one point...it was OK to take advantage of me cause he was smart enough to be manipulative/deceptive. He said so.