’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wade;

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.

“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!

The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun

The frumious Bandersnatch!”

He took his vorpal sword in hand:

Long time the manxome foe he sought —

So rested he by the Tumtum tree.

And stood awhile in thought.

And as in uffish thought he stood,

The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,

Came wiffling through the tulgey wood,

And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through

The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!

He left it dead, and with its head

He went galumphing back.

“And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?

Come to my arms, my beamish boy!

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”

He chortled in his joy.

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.

Lewis Carroll (1832–1898) is the pseudonym of Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, an Anglican deacon, mathematician and photographer, best known as the author of
Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There. “Jabberwocky,” which is from that latter book, is the most famous nonsense poem in the English language. Part of its pleasure derives from the fact that despite its invented vocabulary the reader can easily understand the general outline of the story.

Comments

David Dodd Sept. 1, 2010 @ 7:46 p.m.

Rumor has it that this piece makes perfect sense under the influence of LSD ;)

The poem was meant as satire, according to the author, in providing a measuring stick where poets may compare their own writings against what a poet should never do. Good job, Reader.

MsGrant Sept. 1, 2010 @ 9:11 p.m.

Oh god I see myself! This cracked me up because my own poetry fits the exact definition of suck.

David Dodd Sept. 1, 2010 @ 9:18 p.m.

Oh, my stuff wasn't even THIS entertaining, it was all doom and gloom. There were very few exceptions. I have some of that stuff here, somewhere, and hopefully the house will catch on fire before I can get to it ;)

MsGrant Sept. 2, 2010 @ 7:14 a.m.

Embarrassing to read sometimes. I cringe when I come across an old poem. And new ones as well.

nan shartel Sept. 2, 2010 @ 8:23 a.m.

it's quite delicious nonsense tho...and i love the line that ends "my beamish boy"

and when i was a kid i often "galumped" around

this poem got me ready for Robbie Burns written in the tongue

Callooh Callay!!!

Founder Sept. 2, 2010 @ 8:25 a.m.

• Words Worth -

Words that can raise, one's own ire are those that I, most desire

Just imagine, a word causing great pain or better yet, even financial gain

Then, you put all those same words together, in some cute way and sit back, to see what all of the Readers, have to say

If others, also like, what you have done their comments will be nice and that is fun

But if others just don't get, what you have said that makes me feel like, I should have stayed in bed

My professional advice, which may to you sound absurd is it just makes sense to, enjoy playing with every word

Founder Sept. 4, 2010 @ 9 a.m.

• Rhyme Request -

Reply to #7 by nan I'm very happy you are a fan

I hope, you will soon take the time to answer me, in your own rhyme

Then we can both compare, what we say as we ponder, the rest of the day.

Here is something funny you can try spin 'round three times and then close one eye

Pick a fun subject, you hold dear then write a Rhyme, and post it here:

nan shartel Sept. 4, 2010 @ 8:20 p.m.

your sonnets flits and fits the theme of beamish boys whose eyes do gleam

not lookin for galumphing prey but merist sunning for a rainy day

the Jabberwocky rings not true all nonsense words callay calooh

so read ye then the Scottish bard whose mousie ode is near as hard

Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie, O, what panic's in thy breastie! Thou need na start awa sae hasty, Wi' bickering brattle! I wad be laith to rin an' chase thee, Wi' murd'ring pattle!

dear Robbie then tried twice as hard!!!

nan shartel Sept. 4, 2010 @ 8:25 p.m.

8/9

so my founder friend

i too can write a sonnet

then a Haiku too

Founder Sept. 5, 2010 @ 10:06 a.m.

Reply #10

I'll see your Sonnet

Raise you one Haiku and Rhyme

Then call, I'm all in

Sonnets that for you

Seem almost easy to do

Would drive me cuckoo

-To Say Today - 10-09-05

I begin each new day and ponder what to say

My thoughts, just pop into my head as soon as I get out of bed

My mind, struggles to make some sense of it all while I, stumble around and try not to fall

Once I start, to write all my words down I become absorbed and rarely frown

Looking up, to reread what I have said it surprises me, where my thoughts have led

To me, each rhyme is like a new toy that's something fun to share and enjoy

Once I am done, I figure what the heck I've had my fun, now it's time for spell check

The only thing, left to do is post it, for all of you

nan shartel Sept. 5, 2010 @ 10:58 a.m.

all ur doublet poems r sonnets Founder and wonderful ones 2

Founder Sept. 5, 2010 @ 1:51 p.m.

Reply#12

I could win big bets

My doublet poems are sonnets

Write more rhymes, yes, lets