In both the police report and the coroner’s inquest into Christina’s death, officers said that she had been partying and drinking before the accident. The hospital reported that her blood alcohol level was .176 percent. The legal limit is .100 percent in Illinois, so she was legally intoxicated — something Spizzirri didn’t talk about when touting her foundation. The police reports, the coroner’s inquest, and the inquest jury all emphasized that there was no hit-and-run — her death was the result of “a single-vehicle roll-over,” said the jury.

Spizzirri has taken to the courts — suing, for example, some who said her foundation had not taught as many people as she claimed. She dropped the suits. Shortly after her daughter’s death, she sued Lake County safety officials for mishandling the accident. Spizzirri “has been and will be in the future deprived of the society, companionship, love, affection and support of her daughter,” said her complaint, asking for $15,000. She dropped that too.

In mid-1995, she wrote a letter to the Lake County coroner’s office, claiming it had defamed her foundation by giving out false information about the accident when the Tribune had made inquiries to make its correction. She demanded a public apology. The coroner said there would be none, adding, “I do not support innuendo, lies, and threats.”

At the coroner’s inquest, Pratt stated that Christina was “a child who went through hell so that she could get to heaven.”

Comments

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 17, 2010 @ 11:35 a.m.

In June of this year, the Illinois attorney general wrote to Spizzirri, noting that in its most recent yearly report, Save-A-Life had $152,112 in net assets. “Please provide information on who received the remaining assets of the foundation,” wrote the attorney general’s office, which also inquired about the use of sale proceeds of a foundation-owned building.

Pretty obvious the $$$ went into Spizzirri's pockets.

But what I want to know is how a child gets a personal protection order against their parents.

I have never heard of this, and I also question if it would be legally valid-since it appears to violate constitutional rights- such as bringing your children the way you want to-assuming there is no mental or physical harm involved (note-I am NOT claiming you may physically/mentally abuse, or even hit, a child).

If violence were involved against a child, the proper procedure would have been to contact child protective services, then Spizzirri would get due process rights, including a hearing to tell her side fo the story.

Evelyn Nov. 17, 2010 @ 1:46 p.m.

The child was 18 when she died. So maybe that's why?

Don Bauder Nov. 17, 2010 @ 2:01 p.m.

Remember, this happened in Illinois, not California. Laws may be different. Also, neighbor signed the protection order and was willing to take Christina in. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 17, 2010 @ 2:04 p.m.

Yes, Christina died only a few months after she sought the protective order. She may have been 18. I could look it up because I went over the documents carefully, but frankly I don't have time. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 17, 2010 @ 6:13 p.m.

Yes, I saw and considered those documents in preparing this. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 17, 2010 @ 6:12 p.m.

I saw those documents and for various reasons did not use some of them. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 17, 2010 @ 6:15 p.m.

You've lost me, but the technologically smart ones on this blog may figure out what you are saying. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 17, 2010 @ 7:15 p.m.

My post (#6) have the links, just click on them.

Don Bauder Nov. 18, 2010 @ 1:28 p.m.

We removed that post for a very good reason. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 18, 2010 @ 2:38 p.m.

Oh wow, I did not even notice the links were removed.

I thought they were public records.

Don Bauder Nov. 18, 2010 @ 6:56 p.m.

Some are. But some are not. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 19, 2010 @ 7:47 a.m.

Ohhhh...sorry about posting up those links.

I would never want to invade anyones privacy.

Looking back, you are 100% correct, some of those things should not have been posted.

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 19, 2010 @ 7:54 a.m.

My apologies to Carol Spizzirri.............

Founder Nov. 19, 2010 @ 7:15 a.m.

This sad story sounds like Spizzirri did what many of our elected Officials are doing, promoting themselves using someone else's problems, then fading away with a fat "Pension"...

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 19, 2010 @ 7:50 a.m.

Founder, people today just do not have any morals or ethics, and there are no boundries to it-from elected officials, to lawyers, doctors, secretaries, janitors......it is just everywhere.

We need to fix this, by leadership. Sanders is not leading us.

Carl DeMaio is NOT taking his pension from this City even though he could. Why? Because he is trying to fix the problems with it and that means cutting benefits, and for him to have credibility he needed to repudiate his City pension. That is putting your money where your mouth is in my book. Why can't Sanders do that?

Founder Nov. 19, 2010 @ 1:45 p.m.

I believe that "WE" should take every opportunity to address the City Council and remind all of them that we are ashamed of them for what they are doing!

If Carl is not taking a pension then Right On for him, as long as he does not pull a Sanders and take it when re-elected. As soon as I heard about that, I knew San Diego was going to be hosed by a Lame Duck; but I never thought Sanders would sellout the City with a Billion Dollar Guacamole Bowl $TADIUM Deal...

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 19, 2010 @ 1:54 p.m.

Exactly, and it seems that they say one thing to get elected and then don't follow thru, like with Sanders and the Mayor pension.

The back room stadium deal killed whatever small amount of credibility Sanders had left. he is going down. He won't get anything else accomplished for the remainder fo his Mayor term.

Sanders is to San Diego what Arnold was to CA.-a failure.

Don Bauder Nov. 20, 2010 @ 12:56 p.m.

The secret backroom Chargers deal may have one positive result: the end of Sanders. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 20, 2010 @ 12:49 p.m.

City council will not do anything because it is made up of politicians. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 20, 2010 @ 12:52 p.m.

You actually thought Sanders would NOT sell out the City Oh, dear. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 20, 2010 @ 12:43 p.m.

Sanders is out for Sanders, not San Diego. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 20, 2010 @ 12:40 p.m.

I don't believe that a pension is involved. Maybe "pension." Best, Don Bauder

Founder Nov. 25, 2010 @ 9:51 a.m.

• For DeMaio might also make a great Bumper Sticker for DeMaio...

Don Bauder Nov. 25, 2010 @ 1:23 p.m.

Yes, it might be effective. Best, Don Bauder

realnews Nov. 26, 2010 @ 6:01 p.m.

Interesting that the public isn't aware how restraining orders against parents come about. Nor did anyone educate them they frequently requested and granted by the ex. It's the bedrock foundation to parental alienation. Also interesting how quickly it went to Sanders. Do most readers suffer from ADD or something? Why can't people stay on point?

Don Bauder Nov. 27, 2010 @ 4:33 p.m.

I assume you mean how quickly the responses to this drifted to Sanders. It happens all the time. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 26, 2010 @ 11:26 p.m.

Children do NOT have the legal authority to get PPO/RO against their parents.

Sorry, but I don't buy that.

There would HAVE to be due process protections for the parent, and PPO/RO would violate those DP rights.

Like I said earlier-child protective services could bring an action, but not the child.

Don Bauder Nov. 28, 2010 @ 5:18 p.m.

When I get well (which may be awhile), I will check to see if Christina was 18. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 27, 2010 @ 4:39 p.m.

I was in the process of determining whether Christina had turned 18, but then got ill. I am still ill. There is also the view that the adult neighbor, who was willing to be her primary caretaker, eliminated that restriction. We also must consider that this would have been done under Illinois law. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Dec. 1, 2010 @ 6:52 a.m.

Christina was a few months shy of 18 when she sought to get a protective order from her mother. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 Dec. 1, 2010 @ 7:10 a.m.

I wonder if the age of consent has any weight in whether to issue such an order? In many states the age is lower than 18-which is the age in CA.

Don Bauder Dec. 1, 2010 @ 3:39 p.m.

We don't have an answer to that. Anybody know Illinois law on the point? Best, Don Bauder