Two business owners expressed their concerns to the Solana Beach City Council on May 26 regarding a new shopping-center tenant that will be selling guns.

The shopping center is located on Genevieve Street near Stevens Avenue and was described by the proprietors as a location that typically attracts women, children, and mostly families.

“I know that all gun owners are not bad or dangerous, but I can’t imagine that my clients are going to look at a business like the one that is supposedly proposed with open arms,” said Laura Frankel, who spoke on behalf of the owner of TRC Gymnastics. Frankel reminded the council that the shopping center is within close proximity to schools, churches, and family restaurants.

Lori Allen, owner of Pure Barre Studio, stated that she was extremely concerned at the prospect of the gun shop.

“I think it will project fear,” said Allen. “I believe there are real dangers to this type of business operating in this area. I don’t see any kind of synergy whatsoever with this type of business going into this center. I think it could affect the bottom line of a lot of businesses there.”

According to city staff, the business will be relocating from another location in Solana Beach and presented itself as an antique store that does gun sales and specializes in World War II pieces.

Mayor Thomas Campbell requested that the city attorney write a memorandum on the issues regarding this topic and stated that the concerns expressed by the public are “very real and deserve our attention.”

Comments

a2zresource May 29, 2010 @ 5:21 p.m.

Since one can obtain a WWII M1 rifle or M1 carbine from the Civilian Marksmanship Program as close as a high school in Carlsbad, there could be an element of market saturation there in Solana Beach, as far as M1 sales go.

Come to think of it, I can probably do the same from my old high school in Spring Valley... but then again, SV has always been that sort of wacky un-incorporated kind of place. We could only imagine what would happen if Pure Barre Studio II moved in next door to any Spring Valley Meth Mart...

SurfPuppy619 May 29, 2010 @ 8:28 p.m.

More guns are needed in America, not less.

And these sheeple are just NIMBY's.

allisonis39 May 30, 2010 @ 12:38 a.m.

This is good. Solano Beach will become a safer place for everyone.

laplaya May 30, 2010 @ 2:13 p.m.

Solana Beach is already a safe place -- doesn't need gun shops to make it "safer". BTW, it's Solana, not Solano -- maybe you were thinking of a different community, one that has high crime or something?

SurfPuppy619 May 30, 2010 @ 3:58 p.m.

You can never have too many guns or be too "safe" IMO.

More guns = less crime.

David Dodd May 30, 2010 @ 4:01 p.m.

I don't know anything about a gunshop making any community a safer place, but neither do I understand how it could be an issue. After all, what sort of a moron would try and rob a gun store?

MsGrant May 30, 2010 @ 6:32 p.m.

SurfPuppy619 May 30, 2010 @ 8:54 p.m.

I don't own a gun either-probably never will, but I want the choice.

And I do, 100%, believe the country is safer with armed citizens-always will.

When the police, the elcted officials and the rich and powerful give up their guns and/or armed body guards then there can be talk about limting firearms but not until then.

My motto= Instead of a chicken in every pot- a gun in every home.

jmtrudeau June 1, 2010 @ 4:50 p.m.

I wonder if these soccer moms would complain if a McDonald's was opening up. McDonalds and fastfood in general are a much greater threat to life than a gunshop. But then again, this is Solana beach where we ban everything that we don't like.

David Dodd June 1, 2010 @ 5:51 p.m.

The first thing I though of when I read this - Say I won a taco shop in a shopping center. New tenant is set to move in next door, and it comes down to three choices:

1. Gun shop
  2. Liquor store
  3. Clothing store

I'm picking the gun shop every time. Nothing to do with any probability that gun owners like tacos, simply that I would feel safer with one close by.

xians421 June 1, 2010 @ 8:07 p.m.

You can get all the guns you want at the Big 5 on Lomas Santa Fe. That's where I got my riot gun.

Lovesblues July 22, 2011 @ 12:58 p.m.

People keep forgetting that we live in a capitalist society here in America; Furthermore it is a REPUBLIC not a democracy. The Mob DOES NOT rule.

In a capitalist society the market will dictate the success or failure of any business.
I wish ALL Solana Beach Business owners well, guns to Ballet; may you all thrive.

Further, having a gun store in any area has zero impact on increased crime.

Finally trained armed citizens are the best deterrent to criminal activity. If a robber knows he could lose his life if he trespasses, he is far less likely to trespass there.

God Bless the USA and those people who actually read the Constitutio and Bill of Rights.

Leah Talley Solana Circle USN Qualified Marksman, Gun Owner and wanna-be Ballerina.

Radical Uterus July 22, 2011 @ 4:35 p.m.

How did I miss this? May 29th, hmmmm.

I am a mental patient, before that I was a veteran with a less than honorable discharge. I was on a government list before anyone even knew there was a government list that said, " do not sell this person a gun."

Having said that. I can still accept guns as gifts.

There is no law against a baseball bat.So far.

Twister July 24, 2011 @ 12:08 p.m.

What we need here, are statistics before and after "concealed-carry" laws were passed. Reason to check our emotions against.

SurfPuppy619 July 24, 2011 @ 2:21 p.m.

Finally trained armed citizens are the best deterrent to criminal activity

My htoughts exactly.

More guns = Less crime

Visduh July 24, 2011 @ 3:49 p.m.

Gun store in the center, marijuana store in the center, massage parlor in the center: somebody always wants to keep the good stuff out!

Radical Uterus July 24, 2011 @ 4:37 p.m.

I've stared down the barrel of law enforcements gun more than once. I was lucky they were after larger fish that day. As for personal security, against untrained assailants, attitude goes a long way.

I don't need no stinking gun. I've got attitude.

Twister July 24, 2011 @ 11:18 p.m.

Re: If I owned a gun, I would most likely kill someone who tried to enter my home. If I did not own a gun, they would most likely kill me trying to enter my home. I do not own a gun. Tell me what I am supposed to do. Own or not?

By MsGrant 6:32 p.m., May 30, 2010

Don't. There are more effective and less dangerous alternatives. Owning a gun is a HUGE responsibility. Anyone MUST be PROPERLY trained in gun use, and should practice, practice, practice. If you insist upon owning one, become familiar with the relevant law and keep your gun, loaded, ONLY in a gun safe with an electronic lock that ONLY you know the combination of. Practice getting it out with the gun UNLOADED.

Too many gun owners have killed members of their own family, "thinking" in the fog of sleep or medications or street drugs, that the member was an intruder.

No one who is FEARFUL should own a gun or try to use one. It requires serious TRAINING to reach the point where you can think straight and remain calm under stress. Even with training, many people are unsuited for gun possession, including, unfortunately, people who have undergone training. Despite "psychological" screening, even cops and others who use guns in their professions all too often turn out to be the wrong type of personality for gun possession.

S#!T happens, though. The world is not perfect. Each person has to make his or her own decisions and live with the consequences--or die or suffer injury or go to prison--because of them.

That said, the system of gun ownership and sale, while needing much improvement, has worked pretty well in this country. When one considers that vast number of guns and the relatively small number of gun homicides and accidents, is, however counterintuitively, relatively low. This is the most complex issue of all, and it is a huge challenge that we should be doing a lot more original (and a lot less knee-jerk) thinking about. But acting out of emotion on the subject of guns, is, either way, the worst possible approach.

The worst situation is the declining number of qualified gun-possessors while gun sales got up as people feel more threatened.

SP, if he or she is not well-trained or well-suited to gun operation, is MOST WISE in not having guns. If only others were as wise.

But in an atmosphere where criminals cannot know who does and who doesn't have guns, they know that they are taking a big chance of being killed by their "victim" when committing crimes.

That helps protect us all.

SurfPuppy619 July 25, 2011 @ 12:17 a.m.

============== Oh, I agree 100%.

I don't own a firearm, never have except for a short period 3 decades ago, and the firearm was stolen.

But I am not the smallest guy in town, if I was, or was a female, it would be a dfiferent story.

Twister July 25, 2011 @ 3:48 p.m.

If there's ANY question, my thought is to NOT own a gun. I grew up with guns, and am ex-military, but am not an NRA member. I've never had to use one against another human being, and I hope it never happens. However, I have a wide range of defensive options, and have no compunction about employing the one(s) appropriate to the situation, from a simple stick to lots of firepower.

One additional consideration that's VERY important that I neglected to mention--the potential effect on the psychology of one or more assailants. Having a gun ramps up the adrenalin and the stupidity at the same time. If the assailant knows you have a gun, he's (and increasingly, she's) going to be more violent, not less. Don't EVER get the idea that you can threaten someone and scare them off. Cowards, like rattlesnakes (no offense to these beautiful, beneficial creatures), come in pairs or multiples.

I was trained to NEVER THREATEN anyone with a gun (I do think there can be exceptions to this, but one definitely should not acquire one's defense mental set from movies). If it parts leather, it should be smoking and the threat should be dead. Then spin around to drop any other ACTUAL threats, but not innocent bystanders.

Most people should take self-defense courses from highly qualified trainers, often police officers. I don't know if Sandy Strong is still doing it, but he's tops. Ask the police or sheriffs.

But whatever you do, don't be a victim. Or a damned fool.

Attitude is important, but it has to be the RIGHT attitude. Anger won't do it. You have to be COOL in all situations, especially the most frightening ones, gun or no gun. And that takes serious training.

Did I mention TRAINING? No? Ok, TRAINING, TRAINING, TRAINING!

And ABOVE ALL, do not entertain the idea that you don't need it. Even the Navy Seals train constantly, so you can't get too much TRAINING.

Radical Uterus July 26, 2011 @ 6 p.m.

I am a women who chooses to live alone, everyday that I leave the comfort of my castle, is an opportinity for training.