People upset with the handling of the Diana Gonzalez case plan to march silently from City College to the San Diego district attorney’s office on Thursday, December 9.

Gonzalez was murdered at City College on October 12. Three weeks before, she had filed a police report indicating she had been assaulted, abducted, and raped by her estranged husband, Armando Perez. After Gonzalez filed the police report, Perez was jailed for a few days, but the district attorney’s office did not file charges and he was released. Police suspect Perez killed Gonzalez and fled to Mexico.

The march is slated to begin at 3 p.m. on campus and proceed to the district attorney’s office at 330 West Broadway Avenue.

A flyer created by student group Bringing Education and Activism Together (BEAT) says the march aims to “remind the D.A. that we want justice for Diana and assistance for her family.” Members of Gonzalez’s family are expected to participate in the protest. Gonzalez’s father Jose has expressed frustration with both the district attorney’s office and City College security.

“In the first place, I would have wished for the D.A. to investigate the case more,” José Gonzalez said in a November interview with City Times, City College’s campus newspaper. “And, secondly, I put my entire trust in the school, thinking that there would be more security, but unfortunately we came to realize that that isn't so.”

Pictured: Armando Perez, Diana Gonzalez

Comments

nan shartel Dec. 4, 2010 @ 3:11 p.m.

is anyone safe anywhere when a insane husband or boyfriend is in a murderous rage???

i think not!

this is just another sad example added to thousands and thousands of others all over the United States of the inability of police, courts and colleges security to be unable to quell the tide of wife abuse in this country

my sympathy goes out to the family and i hope this march has some impact...

SurfPuppy619 Dec. 4, 2010 @ 3:40 p.m.

i think not!

================== No, nothing anyone can do to protect you- except yourself.

You are the first line of defense, and it is reason #1 that we should have a "right to carry" law for firearms.

If you are threatened like this the ONLY way to protect yourself is with a firearm.

It is not just women though. It does happen to men-although not nearly as often (Think Betty Broderick), and even worse, to innocent children.

a2zresource Dec. 21, 2010 @ 11:34 p.m.

One of the beautiful things about America is that for the most part, we are free in our own business because we make the basic assumption that we have legitimate ends and means in what each of us does.

The unfortunate consequence is that when one of us is seriously twisted, it just isn't possible to fully protect and defend any of the rest of us from that twisted person while still holding onto that blessing of liberty, a presumption of innocence until proven guilty.

I am sickened that Diana Gonzalez was killed on the same open camps where I spent the majority of my adult life as a student, tutor, student leader, and involved member of the academic community. I am even more disgusted by her killer, someone who has conveniently put all of this behind him and is remaking his life somewhere else in Mexico. I would rather cut off my hand than injure the women who are close to me, or any other person for that matter, much less kill any of them. I don't know her killer, but if his memory of this eats through him from the inside out, then it is well deserved, for this coward will only be caught if he is foolish enough to cross the border.

There is a warning here for women at City College. Look for the sincerity in the man who wants to be with you, where he is not challenged by your effort to improve yourself and have a better life. Too many of us men have an egotistical sense of self-justification even as we wallow in our own lack of ambition. Never tolerate the man who hurts you... and be selective enough that you don't get involved with one like that in the first place. No man needs to hurt a woman except to satisfy himself, and that's the sort of self-justification that can lead one to kill. Over the decades I've seen things at City College, it's not that unusual to see a teenage girl mature into a woman who outgrows the immaturity of the so-called man she happens to have been with when she started her college career. Good riddance to egotistical bad boy who refuses to grow up and become a man.

Gail Powell Dec. 4, 2010 @ 5:18 p.m.

This poor woman's murder is a perfect example of the hypocrisy of Bonnie Dumanis. She is so busy sucking up to the big shots and good ole boys in town, that she has forgotten her obligation to ALL of the people in San Diego. If you are not rich, well-connected, a Charger player or someone that belongs to a powerful union, watch out! Bonnie doesn't care about the little folks like Diana Gonzalez-they can't do anything for her politically.

I have jury duty at the courthouse that day but I intend to try and make it out there to show my support for their protest. San Diegans should be ashamed of themselves for voting this poor excuse for a politician into office here so many times. No wonder everyone laughs about how are brains have been fried by the hot California sun!

BTW-I have my own personal beef with Bonnie. She will prosecute a case, even though it is wrong or based on lies and innuendo, IF she thinks the person being prosecuted is an easy conviction. JUSTICE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT! BEWARE: You may be her NEXT victim! She came after me and I dragged her DA's office through the mud with me right until the very end, where I made them drop all charges against me except one.--(emailing a pedophile 91X DJ) and plead out to 1 count of breaking a court order. Bonnie did not relish me demanding a jury trial with the nasty plaintiff she had on her dirty hands! Bonnie will rue the day she ever took the side of a lying creep because I intend never to let her forget it either. Please join the Facebook group-"RECALL BONNIE DUMANIS" if you have seen the light. She is a judicial AFFRONT to LESBIANS, WOMEN, the JUSTICE SYSTEM and any San Diegan who might value FAIRNESS, TRUTH & HONESTY in Gov't!

Visduh Dec. 4, 2010 @ 9:46 p.m.

A march such as this one is purely symbolic. BD is the District Attorney for another full term, and that's that. It is so unfortunate that an egregious case like this one came after her unopposed reelection last spring. Come four years from now, or sooner if she makes a try for mayor of SD, will enough people remember this tragic case and refuse to ever vote for her again? We can all hope, and not much more.

As far as the victim protecting herself, she and her family went to extraordinary lengths to insure her safety, but they weren't quite enough. The perp found a tiny chink in the armor and used it to get to her and kill her. I really doubt that giving a person like her a gun would have made a difference. In fact, having most people try to protect themselves with concealed handguns is an all-round bad idea. The bad guys can take the gun away from the victim and use it to shoot them.

If Diana had been thinking of her safety, she would never have involved herself with a thug twice her age, let alone marry him. What she was thinking when she became his teen-age wife is a total mystery to me, and I think most readers. Just a very tragic case in so many ways.

formerjudge Dec. 21, 2010 @ 9:43 p.m.

On May 7, 2010 I held a Press Conference on the steps of the Courthouse announcing a legal action I took against my fellow judges who privately disdain laws designed to protect abuse victims. Judge Deddeh told me that misdemeanor cases in my courtroom (specifically Domestic Violence cases) only merited "chevy justice". He told me that my refusal to rubber stamp unlawful plea deals was taking limited court resources away from more important cases that deserved "cadillac justice". I refused to play politics with people's lives. Subsequently, within weeks I found myself facing daily scrutiny for almost 18 months. There is much more to be told to the public on this topic. As a sitting Judge I could not call out court staff or judges for corruption or incompetence without further retribution. A health scare in September prompted me to retire rather than fight a corrupt system. However, when 2011 rolls around, I look forward to using my behind the scenes knowledge to benefit the public, a group that is NOT being well served by Dumanis and her protection of the good ole boys who fund her political ambitions. I am so sorry to the family of this young lady. I plan to do everything I can from this point forward to bring this corruption to light and prevent future loss of life.

a2zresource Dec. 23, 2010 @ 11:48 a.m.

I have made the point in other blog comments that not all of our best and brightest should be IN government but OUTSIDE LOOKING IN. or all we are is sheep waiting to be fleeced.

The stature of our "peanut gallery" here is greatly enhanced by the presence of all who come with prior legislative, legal representation, AND judicial experience.

Let freedom ring.