Janina Hardoy was 24 years old when last seen around the Oceanside Pier, quoting the Bible to homeless people; a couple of months later, in early 2005, she was reported missing from her rented Oceanside home.

On February 5, police went to make a welfare check at about 10:00 p.m. They found disturbing trace evidence in Janina’s bedroom and that night arrested her ex-boyfriend and roommate, Joaquin Martinez, then 27. Joaquin has a prominent, exaggerated lower jaw, which is probably how he got his nickname “Jaws.”

Now 32, he testified on his own behalf during his murder trial earlier this year.

Both prosecution and defense attorneys referred to “tweaker logic” in an effort to explain the behavior of the witnesses.

Maria Testifies

A woman named Maria, who had befriended Janina, remained in the witness box for more than four hours. She said she met Janina while working at a 7-Eleven in Oceanside: “[Janina] came in, and she had, like, a Rasta hat on, and I kind of figured that she smoked marijuana. And I smoked marijuana as well. So she seemed pretty cool, and I decided to hang out with her.”

They met several times a week at the home Janina rented on East Parker Street in Oceanside. According to Maria, “We’d usually just smoke pot and drink Mad Dog 20/20. It’s, like, cheap wine, but that’s what got us drunk. And we laughed and smoked weed and chilled like normal kids. Janina had a nice female roommate. It was cool.”

But around Christmas of 2004 the atmosphere at the house, and the people who stayed at the house, started to change. Good-hearted Janina invited homeless people to take shelter in her rented home.

“Yeah, anybody off the street, she would help anybody. The con type, kind of gang-member type. The tough-asses, you know. Younger guys… It went downhill. Some of her stuff was stolen, sold off for drugs. Every time I’d come back over after my job, I noticed more stuff disappearing. It [ended up being] really like a flophouse, pretty much.”

The nice female roommate moved out, and a man named Joaquin — called Jaws — moved in. Janina and Jaws became intimate. They were together for perhaps a month.

Jaws took a leadership role in the house. As far as anybody did, he was the one who gave orders regarding who was going to do what and when. Maria described him as “most calm and cool and collective [sic]. Unless provoked.”

Then a woman named Alice moved in. Janina’s new boyfriend Jaws swiftly switched affections to this new woman. How long did it take? “I would say seconds,” said Maria. “Once Alice moved in, there was crap. In terms of living arrangements, [Jaws] still stayed in [Janina’s] room. But Janina, she was obviously against it. I mean, living under your roof, and you’ve got the guy that you were banging, you know, with some other chick in another room.”

Another drug addict who moved in was named Mohammed, or Moe. Maria knew Moe from Oceanside High School. He wasn’t the first addict to move into the house on East Parker Street.

“Once crystal meth came into the house, everything went downhill,” Maria testified. “And a few of them did heroin, so, you know.” Janina started doing the harder drugs after her home filled with street addicts. She became a smoker of crystal meth. “And when that wasn’t enough, she wanted to do what everybody else was doing and decided to start slamming.” Slamming means injecting, Maria told the court. “As Janina smoked crystal meth and weed and we drank, she got more curious and wanted to be…with the people that were doing that, and that’s when things started to disappear. And people were selling her stuff off. I don’t know if she was aware of it.”

Janina did not abandon her group of rescued druggies. “She had such a big heart to help people,” Maria said, “but at the same time, not the brains to stop doing the drugs.”

Toward the end of 2004 and into the beginning of 2005, the addicts at the house began robbing banks. And how was Maria aware of this? “For one reason, criminals aren’t the smartest. We like to brag. So there was bragging going on. There was counting of stacks of bills inside the back bedroom and Moe’s room. Bank bags. They had painted the garage white, whited out the windows, and the truck sat there.” This was Alice’s white truck, which had been used in at least one of the bank jobs. “And then I had overheard…they trusted every one of us in there, so…it was not a secret.” The drug addicts told Janina the money would go toward her rent.

Janina became a nag in her own home. “She had to know everything that was going on…She was kind of like the Barney of the group, the one that got left out, you know? I’d try to include her, try to take her away, but she was just so stubborn. Wanted to stay there. Wanted to be with the group. Wanted to help. She always threatened, when she wouldn’t get her way, that she was going to call the police and she didn’t care what happened.”

The street people in the house began to talk about how annoying Janina was. “We all did,” Maria admitted. They joked about how somebody should overdose her. And in her depressed moments, Janina made comments about how she’d like to take a couple of grams of heroin and overdose.

“I knew she had to get out of there,” Maria said, “especially with her running her mouth about telling the cops stuff. I took her aside. All those guys were smoking crystal meth in Alice’s room. I sat her outside. I said, ‘It’s time for you to go. Something is not right.’” But Janina wouldn’t listen.

At some point the people staying at the house took a room at a nearby motel. “I was told it was to avoid the conflict,” Maria said. And who was with Janina? “No one but her dog.” Janina had a puppy she’d adopted from an animal shelter.

Comments

monaghan Aug. 13, 2010 @ 8:25 p.m.

Fortunately, it is mid-August, and probably few people are reading the paper. Maybe your good judgement is on vacation too.

I haven't seen a story in this journal for many many years that had so little redeeming merit -- Captain Sticky comes to mind. Maybe it's shock value. I can't imagine what moved you to put this on the cover or anywhere else in the Reader. And why would Eva Knott put this stuff out over her name?

Dulcinea June 14, 2012 @ 12:31 a.m.

to share a story about a woman who wanted to do good but got caught up in tragedy. This is a story to honor the victim.

David Dodd Aug. 13, 2010 @ 11:41 p.m.

I don't know, Monaghan, I thought the idea was good, but I do question the execution of it. No mention of an autopsy, for example; the reader still has no clue as to the true cause of death. Parts of the story are over-emphasized, others are entirely lacking. But the idea was good, in my opinion.

Dulcinea June 14, 2012 @ 12:37 a.m.

the cause of death was heroine with rat poison in it. the victim could not inject herself so she would ask others to help her do it. That is when Jaws did it and killed her.

David Dodd Aug. 14, 2010 @ 12:26 a.m.

Here's an example of something entirely amazing to me. Maybe the one thing I actually was really baffled by in this story.

"You know what I mean?"

I'm not a lawyer. And, please, I hope that some trial lawyer can set me straight about this, but if I'm crossing a witness and they say, at any time, "You know what I mean?"

Then I'm going to seize on that statement.

"No, Mr. guilty-guy, I don't know what you mean, I need you to explain that further."

And I'm going to do that over and over again, because such a statement is practically an invitation to attend burial services. Maybe that's just me, I don't know, someone explain it. If I ever had to testify in my own defense, the last thing I would want is to leave an opening during cross. That part of this story simply amazed me.

MuppyCat Aug. 14, 2010 @ 12:52 a.m.

Ms.Knox is a born crime reporter. Her story was alive, and more important she captured this reader from start to finish. Well done, lady.

MuppyCat Aug. 14, 2010 @ 1:27 p.m.

Refriedgringo, get a life! Ms.Knott..or Knox...my mistake, I stand corrected. However, the author of the above story is a real pro. Her work has life and energy, and - most certainly worthy of payment and publishing. Can either of you jokers say the same thing?

David Dodd Aug. 14, 2010 @ 4:15 p.m.

@ #6: How am I supposed to know what you meant? Knox and Knott are pretty far apart. I'm very happy that you enjoy Ms. Knott, very happy about you're unwavering support of her work, but somewhat curious why you would attack anyone with a viewpoint different than your own. Some people are going to be critical of writers and stories; otherwise, what's the point of the feedback?

Monoghan actually seems disappointed because Monoghan seems to otherwise enjoy other stories by this author. That actually seems to support your position regarding Ms. Knott's abilities. Myself, I don't normally get into crime stories, so I wouldn't have recognized the name of the author (and obviously didn't, since I had no idea why you referred to a Knox). My criticisms concerning the story are not based on the reputation of the auther, who I do not know.

Simply put, I missed the actual cause of death in the story (autopsy), which would have helped me to root for or against some of the characters, and the D.A.'s cross examination of the antagonist left me wondering why he didn't invite the antagonist to futher incriminate himself on the witness stand.

As to your last question, yes, I have, but that doesn't qualify my opinion any more than it qualifies the opinion of anyone else. I've had some excellent editors rip me a new one, and some excellent editors give me praise. Readers do the same thing. They've done it to my stuff in the past and they'll do it again. I have to pay close attention to the criticisms; I do not believe that they are meant personally, and as such, mine are not meant personally in this case.

wildelove1 Aug. 15, 2010 @ 3:14 a.m.

The story was great kept me reading to the end, great job Ms Knott!

Evelyn Aug. 16, 2010 @ 12:28 p.m.

reply to #2

i love that you caught that Refried... Personally, i hate, absolutely hate, when someone uses that phrase. ("ya know," or you know what i'm saying?") I don't know, you didn't explain yourself.

What I don't get is why the heck the Reader chose such a gross picture for the front? At first glance, the face just looks really creepy and gross. But alas, it got me to read the story, you know what i mean?

David Dodd Aug. 16, 2010 @ 5:54 p.m.

Ha! Yeah, blue, actually, I do know what you mean :)

Regarding the cover pictures, it's interesting, I've enjoyed reading the reactions from people concerning the graphics. Dorian wrote a piece about himself not too long ago and people just went stupid about the cover. I think that the covers do draw people in, overall. They are also quite quirky, and that seems to reflect the style of this publication.

Evelyn Aug. 17, 2010 @ 10 a.m.

It's really a rather genious plan on behalf of the Reader; shock and awe people into picking up the Reader. Then it's just a tiny step to get people to actually read the Reader.

Dorian was the guy that had the skateboard accident, right? I remember the article. My morbid curiosity wanted to find out how it all happened, and thus, article read.

ahardoy Aug. 17, 2010 @ 4:12 p.m.

Hi there,

I am the victim's father. I read this and am a bit confused. I was at the trial, every day, and every hour.

So, I am confused as to what this is supposed to be: a story, or a factual account? As a factual account, it falls a bit short of what occurred and was said. Most of it is accurate to some degree.

As a story, one of you said it was long. Well, it was 5 years worth of agony, torment, mystery, rollercoaster, patience, anger, and tears. The tears are certainly not over, but a few of the others are. So to try and capture all of that story in a few pages of script, my hats off to you. It's going to take me a few volumes.

As a factual account, I'm pissed. I am not really angry about the mis-stated facts, but can not get myself to understand why this author, and the legal system go out of their way to screw the victim and protect the guilty psychos that did all these atrocities? They were all involved, and knew full well what they were doing - drug induced or not. They all remember very clearly what happened and how they participated. Ask any former crack/meth addict - they remember. So, tell me WHY THEIR NAMES HAVE BEEN CHANGED! ALL EXCEPT THE VICTIM AND THE GUY THAT GOT CONVICTED!! The other ones are guilty - you just read it by their own admission! Don't you want to know who they are? They are living next door to you right now!

As a story (and as a factual account), the main ingredient missing is the accounting, portrayal, and description of all the committment/passion/devotion that every single involved law official, judicial officer, procecutor, field expert, coroner, and investigator had to keeping this case alive up to it's conclusion. That could very well be it's own volume. Volume two is the objective commitment of the jury that persevered through hours and days of inconceivable testimony and evidence.

Get the story straight.....

Thanks for your time.

Al

Dulcinea June 14, 2012 @ 12:28 a.m.

I agree and I am so sorry for your grief. I am the wife who chopped her feet. He is now a Christian and is very regretful. He is not using drugs anymore, he has a good job, and is praying to see how God will use him. He used to have dreams about the insident. I do feel horrible about all this. I feel ashamed.

monaghan Aug. 17, 2010 @ 10:14 p.m.

Refried, I have never heard of Ms. Knott nor have I read anything else that she may have written. In fact, I looked to see if she HAD written anything else and found nada.

I thought this story was lurid, horrifying and sensational and had no point, other than Reader-reader titillation. The cover had nothing to do with my having read it, though I did have to look a bunch of times to realize the poster-boy had had his eye LIDS tattooed.

Al, if you really are the father of the murdered woman described in this story, I cannot adequately express my condolences to you. If there is anything positive about this, you are the one who described it -- not the author -- by giving credit to dedicated and intrepid law officers, prosecutors and others who brought the case to trial and conviction and the jury who put the perpetrators away. Thank you for writing.

David Dodd Aug. 17, 2010 @ 10:35 p.m.

Ah. Monaghan, apologies, I misinterpreted your last sentence. I'm not normaly a crime scene/court/trial reader, I generally make exceptions for cover articles in the Reader.

And Al, I join Monaghan in offering my sypathies as well, I couldn't imagine in a million years how painful this ordeal must have been for you and your family to endure.

Robert Johnston Aug. 25, 2010 @ 8:26 p.m.

If I remember from the end of this article, there is now a "sanity hearing" concerning the defendant. If he is found to be "judicially insane" (as opposed to clinicaly insane), it will mean commitment to Vacaville state Hospital until he is judged to be "legally sane."

However, he'll still have to serve out the remainder of his sentence. A diagnosis of "mental illness" is NOT a "Get Out Of Jail Free" card. Regardless of your sanity state at the time of the homicide, you will do the time. Just the place you will serve your sentence will differ.

And more likely than not, his "insanity" plea will be rejected.

Game over--yet nobody wins!

--LPR

Eva Knott Sept. 11, 2010 @ 11 a.m.

The story is factual, and accurate.

Yes, I know the father was in the courtroom most days, taking his own notes. I thought a long time about whether it is appropriate to publicly disagree with the grieving father, (has he suffered enough for ten fathers for ten lifetimes?) but in the end it is important to defend the story.

Misstated facts? It is common for witnesses’ testimony to be contradictory, and even wrong. For instance, I looked up the court records of when Moe bailed out of jail, instead of relying on the memory of drug-addict-felons testifying five years later. I did go with the testimony of an FBI agent who said which banks were robbed on February 1 of 2005, instead of Jaws’ recollection.

The name of the victim has been published many, many times since she was first reported “missing” in 2005. The names of some persons were changed because attorneys tell me it is hard to get witnesses to testify, and hiding true names would be helpful. ( I saw these people in court, so I know their appearance has changed, since their photos were taken at the time of their arrests.)

Who can disagree that law enforcement never gets enough credit? Respectfully, Eva Knott

cat57 Sept. 28, 2010 @ 2:19 p.m.

Dear Ms Knotts, This person Joaquin Martinez was being held at the Vista Jail and last Wednesday, 2 days before his court date to determine if he was insane, he stabbed my son, another inmate at Vista Jail. My son was in administrative segregation, in a cell by himself, when joaquin martinez entered his cell (SOMEHOW) and stabbed him 3 times. We are having it investigated, someone had to have let him in my son's cell. He was called, "Jack the ripper" by the other inmates. My son had filed greivances against him because he was "crazy and scary". Well Wednesday he proved himself very dangerous. He is in solitary now, my son is in the Medical unit at the Downtown S.D. Jail. He is safe now. Please feel free to contact me for more info. Mom of victim.

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 28, 2010 @ 4:06 p.m.

Get a lawyer and sue the Sheriff's Dept/San Diego County.

They are under a duty and obligation to make sure the jails are SAFE. It's not like an inmate can leave and go to a more safe and secure location.

No excuse for allowing a violent inmate to be in the general population when they are on notice of the inmates ongoing violence.

Contact Mary Prevost, she just won a big $$$ jury trial over sheriff misconduct.

Dulcinea June 14, 2012 @ 1:28 a.m.

I am rereading this and I cannot believe this happened. It seemed that she suffered for a while dying slowly and then that monster came back and smuthered her! What my husband did and how he explained was just horrible. I cannot help but cry.