Instead of disembarking and pushing the button, I opt for leaning over and reaching a finger toward the button. A perfect plan, except that I don’t pull my bike close enough to the pole. When the pole doesn’t move to me, I move to it. Then into it.

Finally, with minimal bruising, I park the bike in my living room. I drink a gallon of faucet water. My guzzling is interrupted by the ringing phone. Marty is on the other line with an update on his bruise. It’s already starting to form, and it resembles John Lennon’s head. He’s going to show me tonight over a margarita.

Comments

summerlonger Sept. 16, 2009 @ 1:21 p.m.

Nice article. I also purchased a cheap beach cruiser www.beachcruisers4less.com and pedal around the boardwalk where I live. Happy riding

gofurry Sept. 16, 2009 @ 4:27 p.m.

The heck with that place blogged above. Go to Walmart. $ 86.00 (such a deal! )

SDaniels Sept. 17, 2009 @ 10:03 p.m.

...just one margarita does all that? How many shots did they put in it? :)

SDaniels Sept. 18, 2009 @ 1:15 a.m.

You may be right, AG. --And what's that tiresome engigmatic reply? "Don't worry, go furry?" :) I still think gofurry is SurfPuppy.

Joe Poutous Sept. 18, 2009 @ 6:51 a.m.

Perfect story for a Friday morning Julie. I gotta get down to the beach.

• Joe

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 18, 2009 @ 9:08 a.m.

I settle on a crow’s call. Down the boardwalk, I go, ca-caw ca-caw, clearing my way.

LOL...that was a well written article! Very funny.

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 18, 2009 @ 9:10 a.m.

I still think gofurry is SurfPuppy.

By SDaniels

If you want to remain part of the SurfPuppy pack you will not, under any circumstances, ever make that slanderous comment again.

Thank you very much.

SDaniels Sept. 18, 2009 @ 3:06 p.m.

SurfPuppy/Johnny Vegas, et al., you are known for having multiple identities, but it could be that in your toothless dotage you have given them all up, but the lovable plush pup you are now. Forgive us our speculations, as it makes for idle fun.

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 18, 2009 @ 4:04 p.m.

SDaniels, I use only ONE identity- Surfpuppy.

I do NOT use multiple identities (I have chagned handle names in the past though).

SDaniels Sept. 18, 2009 @ 4:58 p.m.

Hey, that's "SurfPuppy" with a capital "P." Get it right! :)

SDaniels Sept. 18, 2009 @ 11:18 p.m.

This suggests that you should stick to just one? :)

SDaniels Sept. 19, 2009 @ 3:28 a.m.

"the Pressing Issue: Is John McCain now or has he ever been a Furry?"

Ha ha, Joe! Thanks for making this burning of the midnight oil a bit funner :)

antigeekess Sept. 19, 2009 @ 10:37 p.m.

Tiki posted:

The best link in the history of links. :)

And Daniels, you just type "funner?" I'm pretty sure that's one of the signs of the Apocalypse.

Along with this, of course.

It should start raining frogs any minute.

Now there's a far more entertaining topic than most of the boaring crap that's on this site...

"Signs of the Apocalypse."

Ready? Set? Go!

gofurry Sept. 19, 2009 @ 11:06 p.m.

What the?....SurfPuppy is NOT gofurry.

SurfPuppy is a little BITCH.

Now THIS is all gofurry is concerned about....

SDaniels Sept. 20, 2009 @ 12:21 a.m.

AG: "boaring" for my benefit? And I like the nonword "funner." Bring on the apocalypse, but make it a garden variety--I've got work to do ;)

gofurry, congrats to you for finding focus above the belt!

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 20, 2009 @ 8:56 a.m.

Oh brother..... (SurfPuppy rolls eyes at such childish posts).....

antigeekess Sept. 20, 2009 @ 10:18 a.m.

Daniels sed:

"AG: "boaring" for my benefit?"

:D Ya like that? I thunk it up all by my lonesome. I'm pretty sure it'll be in the next edition of Webster's. I expect there'll be a picture beside it, too.

"And I like the nonword "funner." Bring on the apocalypse, but make it a garden variety--I've got work to do ;)"

Sunday's a good day for it. I'll make sure I get it brung by noon, right about when church lets out.

Nothing like a few frogs splattered all over a fancy Sunday-go-to-meetin' outfit. Adds color in a random, Kandinskyesque sort of way, don't you think?

Oh crap. That was an artsy reference, wasn't it? The (lack of) culture police should be along any minute.

gofurry Sept. 20, 2009 @ 12:58 p.m.

Damn. Stern switched pictures on the website. SP is now #18/91 for today - Sunday. Here's an alternate photo for today at least....

SDaniels Sept. 20, 2009 @ 2 p.m.

gofurry, we worried that all you and SurfP were concerned with is ruddyfaced German gents in lederhosen. Perhaps that is a deeper psychological truth for you, who must needs blurt your sexual preferences at random intervals?

antigeekess, you are a poetess. Between the splatting frogs and the Oktoberfest drunks, I'm dyin' here. :)

So "Stern," by the way, is a pretty popular German mag. Is gofurry German-speaking or just posing tourist?

I'm sure at any rate we've all deserved a citation from the (lack of) culture cops.

SDaniels Sept. 20, 2009 @ 2:04 p.m.

BTW, gofurry, thanks for posting the pic of a worried-looking pooch forced by owners like SurfP onto wet, ocean-bound boards. Could that be a gesture of reconciliation?

SDaniels Sept. 20, 2009 @ 2:16 p.m.

gofurry is #46, for sure.

I am #25. :)

gofurry Sept. 20, 2009 @ 6:10 p.m.

Also,the guy in the green helmet is like gofurry - wondering if the women around him are waxed or fluffy....

gofurry Sept. 20, 2009 @ 6:25 p.m.

The heck with these photo-shifting websites! I'm going back to guesshermuff....

SDaniels Sept. 20, 2009 @ 6:38 p.m.

re: 26: I'd love to go to a real Oktoberfest.

re: 27: I would recommend breast reduction for this particular case. However else will she run that 10k? :)

re: 28: The guy has a helmet clearly because the brunette braided babe is about to give him a massive elbow blow.

re:29: "guesshermuff" is the only other word gofurry knows in German, besides "scheisse" and "tschuss" ('sh*t' and 'later,' minus umlaut :)

SDaniels Sept. 20, 2009 @ 7:21 p.m.

Nice gator, tiki.

Deutsch? Nah, my man does, though.

SDaniels Sept. 21, 2009 @ 1:15 a.m.

Which one did you mean to post AG? The pics on the Stern site change frequently, to gofurry's chagrin, so call it by #.

antigeekess Sept. 21, 2009 @ 6:16 a.m.

Aw, crap. It was right last night.

Pooch hanging ten. It were perfect.

Joe Poutous Sept. 21, 2009 @ 7:42 a.m.

That is crazy. I wonder what pix will be there in a week...

Maybe the jumbled pictures hold the real signs of the Apocalypse. Not that anyone will pay attention.

• Joe

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 21, 2009 @ 11:36 a.m.

SurfPuppy cannot take much more animal abuse............that is against the law you knwo....

SDaniels Sept. 22, 2009 @ 2:01 a.m.

Quick! Someone call Animal Control! :)

SDaniels Sept. 30, 2009 @ 11:54 a.m.

Redbaron, because you are illegally embedding ads within these threads, I will make sure to NEVER ever buy a bike from either of these sources.

Guess what I purchased the other day at Walmart?! A really cool bike for $86 ! It's pink and green, and I like to ride it everywhere!

See how obnoxious that is? :)