Last month on September 15, the San Diego City Council rejected two sites — an East Village warehouse and a parking lot in Balboa Park — for the annual temporary winter shelter, voting 5-2 (one councilmember was absent).

It was a short-lived victory for the East Village because on October 13, the city council approved the same location they did a year ago: a privately owned East Village site on Island and 15th Avenue.

In case problems arise with the first location, the alternate site is planned to be on 13th and F Street, also in the East Village. Prior to the Tuesday, October 13, city council meeting, several East Village community members were encouraged by the East Village Association to voice their concerns regarding the placement of the shelter for the third consecutive year in their neighborhood.

“Last year we were promised it would not be located in East Village again. We simply will not allow you to renege on that promise,” said East Village association president David Hazan in a letter addressed to the city council.

The association forwarded the same letter to everyone on their mailing list, which includes East Village residents, business owners, and homeowners. In the letter, Hazan suggested: “Rather than finding a location for The Shelter, The East Village Association strongly supports the hotel/motel voucher program presented by Councilman Young. We believe this program would effectively provide shelter without the significant impacts that The Shelter has on a neighborhood.”

Despite the association’s efforts, the city council voted 6-2 to bring the site back to the East Village. The council also voted to allocate $718,000 for the shelter program.

Comments

georgeyboy Oct. 20, 2009 @ 4:06 p.m.

Mr. Hazan and the East Village Association are just plain wrong. There was no such 'promise' by the City. But such falsehoods persist and are used to whip-up a phony hysteria. Sad.

CuddleFish Oct. 20, 2009 @ 9:07 p.m.

I also want to say that I read that the City paid the owner of the site half a million dollars to prep the site for the winter shelter last year. The only reason he doesn't want to do it again this year is because he's getting another b*ttload of money from a federal grant to improve his site yet again. I mean, the taxpayer is shoveling money to a pretty wealthy guy, the least he could do is let us get our money's worth of our money. Let him host the winter shelter for at least one more year; I would say five, but can't stand in the way of progress.

cre0 Oct. 22, 2009 @ 10:59 a.m.

I am currently unable to decide whether to go to the "winter tent" or stay in my 5X7 tent on the sidewalk next to the Post Office. My fiancee and I are both FT students and came up on some very hard times and ended up on "the streets" in July. No, we are not Alcoholics or Drug users. I am actually maintaining a 4.0 GPA with perfect attendance, My boyfriend is maintaining a 3.2 GPA, through hard work and determination and the Grace of God.
I've heard alot of bad things about the tent like stealing, drinking,and drug activity going on and those are the main reasons I don't want to go. On the other hand, I've heard some good things like, You get to take showers everynight and you are also fed while staying at the tent. I'm desperately trying to weigh out our options before the freezing weather starts. Last night was so cold on the sidewalk. I pray we don't get sick. Graduating in February is our ultimate goal.

antigeekess Oct. 23, 2009 @ 10:21 p.m.

creO, I hope you log in here again. (I assume you are posting from the public library, or piggybacking on someone's internet connection.)

You DEFINITELY need to keep a blog on this site. If not, I hope you're keeping a journal of your experiences for a book later on. I wanna read it.

cre0 Oct. 26, 2009 @ 11:53 a.m.

AG, you guessed correctly. When I post I am in the library. If I get a few extra minutes at school I scan the reader. I find it interesting that you mentioned keeping a journal about my experiences. That is exactly what I do. My fiancee has mentioned to me several times that he wants me to write a book about my life. Only he knows what I've been through growing up in a backwards, broken English speaking, very poor family in a little bitty country town called Seminole, Oklahoma. Thank You AG, I will consider it even more. :) When, I leave the school today, I will definately be at the library. Please have a blessed day.

antigeekess Oct. 26, 2009 @ 12:48 p.m.

Possibly exactly the opposite of immigrants, Pete.

Based on the demographic makeup of Seminole, Oklahoma, she may very well be Native American -- a Seminole. They may have been speaking their tribal language.

If she's a Seminole, you and I are closer to being "immigrants" than she is. Her folks were here first.

(Of course, I could be wrong. Just a guess.)

PistolPete Oct. 26, 2009 @ 12:55 p.m.

Ah. Didn't think of her being a Native Indian. I wasn't sure if she was poking fun at rednecks or not.

cre0 Oct. 26, 2009 @ 1:45 p.m.

Very Good! yes, I am Native American. A very proud member of the Great Seminole Nation of Oklahoma. I am 25/32 Seminole. I am the 1st person in my family to even graduate high school. the first person to further my education beyond that. My people were not dumb or ignorant just illiterate. They refused to give up their tribal custom and ways therefore school wasn't even an option. In the old days if you chose the Euroamerican ways, you went to school and "your savage ways" were beaten out of you. You were made to eat soap if you spoke your Native tongue. I am going to school to make my people see that Education is the key to survival in 2009 and beyond.
Well, I have a very important paper to type up for school tomorrow....Later.

SDaniels Oct. 26, 2009 @ 2:17 p.m.

"In the old days if you chose the Euroamerican ways, you went to school and "your savage ways" were beaten out of you. You were made to eat soap if you spoke your Native tongue."

How olden were these days, cre0, if you don't mind me asking? I agree with AG--yours is doubtless a fascinating story, and you should have plenty of readers for your forthcoming blog :)

Joe Poutous Oct. 26, 2009 @ 2:47 p.m.

It was not that long ago... I'm betting that her Grandparent's experienced some of that treatment.

Good for you cre0. Good luck on graduating!

• Joe

antigeekess Oct. 26, 2009 @ 3:37 p.m.

"I am going to school to make my people see that Education is the key to survival in 2009 and beyond."

That makes me very happy to hear, CreO. As I've mentioned on these blogs before, I spent about a year doing religious studies at ASU, and my primary areas of interest were Taoism and Native American Studies, especially the latter.

In Arizona, the southern desert areas have the Akimel O'odham http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pima_Ind...

...and the Tohono O'odham. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papago_I...

In the north, there are White Mountain Apache, Hopi, Navajo, and Zuni.

There was nothing more gratifying than to see MEMBERS OF THE TRIBES THEMSELVES show up at the university, supposedly to study their own culture -- taught by white men who didn't have a clue! It was extremely enjoyable to see a bright, articulate young Hopi girl straighten one of these "learned gentlemen" out!

Used to be, old white guys at universities could get away with just about any careless, condescending interpretations they liked when it came to the various tribes not only of America, but of the world. NOW, happily, those times are gone. It's a little hard to get away with any BS about a given culture when its members start showing up in your class!

Don't let me get started. I wrote a paper on it. :)

Chin up, creO. Believe. :)

I'm sure you're aware of the prophecies that say it is in fact the tribes who will produce the leaders that save America from itself. You've been around Anglos enough to know that you are different, in all the right ways. Those are the ways of living that most people in this country have forgotten, and now know nothing about. What 'I' believe is that it's up to the tribes to remind us. Write, speak, teach.

I hope that not only do more and more of your people -- and ALL of the tribes -- appear at our universities for an education, but that they do so with an insistence on bringing their own values with them. The rest of America needs to move toward YOU and YOUR people, not the other way 'round.

It was your country to begin with. I, for one, hope you take it back. And take the rest of us with you. :)

SurfPuppy619 Oct. 26, 2009 @ 4:17 p.m.

Wow AG, you pretty much published your thesis in that last, book long, post of yours.

cre0 Oct. 27, 2009 @ 8:39 a.m.

Good Day All, Wow! I would have never thought people would be so interested in what this Seminole girl would have to say. I must say I'm feeling zealous. You guessed right again. I only have one grandparent that went to school, she quit in the 5th grade. She was sent to Chillaco Indian boarding school when she was 4. She said she cried everyday for her mother. Her hair was cut off, like a 'chili bowl" haircut. Like I said earlier, they were beaten for speaking their native tongue. They were taught that "their" ways were evil and that they needed to become christians because there was a God who would save them. They were taught that you didn't have to dance around a fire to worship. Years later, she said she realized that the God they were talking about was the same "okfunga" (Creator) she had always worshipped when she danced for hours around a fire with her turtle shell leggings on. She said they just worshipped different. She told me later that "For some reason they think that he only listens to you if you speak English". I thought that was funny.
The other grandparents didn't go to school, nor did they learn English. My mother learned English in kindergarten. She quit school in high school. I'm not sure which grade. When I think back about my elementary and high school years, I realize my mother didn't want me to go to school for fear of losing our identity. I am the oldest of 6, and the 1st to graduate high school. And it is sad because there are not many people left who can speak our native tongue. My grandparents are long gone and my mother passed away last year. That is why I decided to go to school, I feel like there is so much to be accomplished. I have to find a way to preserve what we have left before there will be no Seminoles. I only have a few more months left of school, then I will go home. Just in time for our Green Corn ceremony. I will tell them about my adventures in San Diego, CA.

SDaniels Oct. 27, 2009 @ 9:04 a.m.

"Not that they're malicious or anything. But unfortunately, they're trying to analyze things like ritual based on a false belief in the reality of objectivity. Trying to use a Western European mindset to look at stuff that requires a whole different worldview..."

I'm surprised you found such glaring flaws of approach to be your contemporary academic discursive realities, AG, rather than as relics of a 'past' norm, greedily seized upon by any scholar in your field--of any particular background of origin him/herself.

In undergrad and in grad school, we studied the effects of imperialist, colonial, enlightenment narratives in general--upon discourses in lit, to anthro--everything in the humanities and social sciences. Scholars were and seem to still be avoiding the old philosophical tropes and traps in part via good ole performative questioning of one's own motives and methodologies.

I mean, I know there is still a long way to go, but am I interpreting your words as exaggeration--or--what gives over at ASU, eh? :)

SDaniels Oct. 27, 2009 @ 9:06 a.m.

PS: I'd like to see that paper.

On second glance, I think it's your tenses that are confusing me--not sure if you are saying "those times are gone," or "they are [still] trying to analyze things..."

SDaniels Oct. 27, 2009 @ 9:10 a.m.

CreO wrote:

"That is why I decided to go to school, I feel like there is so much to be accomplished. I have to find a way to preserve what we have left before there will be no Seminoles."

CreO, this information is pure gold. You have simply got to get a blog going in one of the neighborhoods on this site, and write down absolutely everything you possibly can that your grandmother and mother ever told you! Have you already started this project elsewhere, and if so, where can we read it?

SDaniels Oct. 27, 2009 @ 9:14 a.m.

PPS: CreO, did you know that there is a $500 first place monthly blog prize here at the Reader? I bet that if you work a narrative about your past and Seminole history into your perceptions of San Diego, esp. a specific area you've observed--you'd win.

cre0 Oct. 27, 2009 @ 9:26 a.m.

I am very new here to the reader, and I'm not sure where to begin. I am really interested in trying to win some "toknahwa" ($). That would really be cool. I'm not sure where or how to begin the contest.

SDaniels Oct. 27, 2009 @ 9:32 a.m.

Hey, CreO--you can get started on creating a blog here:

SDaniels Oct. 27, 2009 @ 9:39 a.m.

So, just wanted to get that link out to you quickly. Now, you want to choose a neighborhood, and once you have something ready to post (it can be as short or long as you like), just follow the instructions--it is very easy, and as the saying goes--"If my lameazz can do it..." ;)

My fingers are crossed for you getting that "toknahwa," because no one will deserve it--or earn it--more than you! As for AG and I, we will look forward to just reading your stuff. Oh, and you can win more than once, you just have to keep posting. I have never won, but some posters I know here have won a couple of times. Good motivator, huh? :)

CuddleFish Oct. 27, 2009 @ 10:04 a.m.

Ahem

If I may interject, LOL, there are some very good writers here, creo, you are going to have some tough competition, as any of the bloggers can tell you, which is a good thing. :)

I look forward to reading your blog! Good writing and sincere good wishes and good luck with the contest!

Wouldn't her neighborhood be Downtown? LOL That would be rich, since most of the blogs out of there are, well, you know ...

Welcome aboard, creo, it is wonderful beyond words to have you in our community.

cre0 Oct. 27, 2009 @ 10:10 a.m.

Thank you so much SDaniels and AG. You are very helpful. I appreciate it very much. I will really consider posting for downtown (The Haven). The next couple of days are going to be extremely busy for me, I will start on this project this weekend. I wish I could have you proofread my posting before I post it. You seem very educated and I like that alot especially because you don't think I'm dumb.

antigeekess Oct. 27, 2009 @ 10:45 a.m.

creo:
First, I had thought that was a large "O" at the end of your ID, but it's not, is it? Sorry about that. I look forward tremendously to your blog. I don't know if you want to start with your present or past -- both are obviously fascinating. One of our bloggers here who hasn't weighed in yet (refriedgringo, where are you?) is especially good at moving fluidly from one time/locale to another and back again. You might wish to take a look at some of it.

Daniels:
My complaints about ASU concern the one prof who was in charge of Native American Studies there, coupled with the classic texts I studied in religious theory, which we ourselves were to critique. I didn't read a lot of modern criticism by others. I was only there for a year, and didn't take that many classes, but there was nothing more cutting edge that was offered. WE were to provide that and advance the field. As I understand it, the "academic study of religion" in universities hasn't really been around that long, beginning in the 1960s of 70s at Chicago, and headed by Joseph Campbell's friend Mircea Eliade (who, it may surprise you to know, I critiqued MOST harshly -- much moreso than Marx or Freud).

I wasn't overly impressed with my Taoism prof. I 'liked' him, but didn't think he particularly "got it," either.

I found the Jewish profs to be much more clued in and up to speed, including the director of the program, who I liked a lot. The Jews were cool.

Aaaand, I can dig out that paper and post it for ya, Daniels -- which means the Einstein project and Yeats' demons get shoved to the backburner again. That, and you'll probably be the only one who reads it. :)

SDaniels Oct. 27, 2009 @ 10:46 a.m.

Of course we don't think that, creO. Feel free to email me via the Reader, and if you want a quick proofread--I do it for a living, practically, anyway. :)

SDaniels Oct. 27, 2009 @ 10:47 a.m.

Oops, I just now used the "O," but have been using the "0" (zero) mostly--which is what it is supposed to be, right?

SDaniels Oct. 27, 2009 @ 10:55 a.m.

"Mircea Eliade (who, it may surprise you to know, I critiqued MOST harshly -- much moreso than Marx or Freud)."

I read Eliade around the same time I read Campbell--a lonnng time ago. If I had to guess, you probably take issue with his "eternal return?" It's the only concept of his I can think of at the moment, but it's the biggie, I believe.

I can understand how a small, 'esoteric' ethnic studies (not my word!:) department might have these issues--makes more sense now, thanks. So Campbell started up Comparative Religion at Sarah Lawrence--when? 70s? And there weren't any academic-focused programs, just straight doctrine/theology? Interesting...

In my most condescending, cheeky, colonio-paternal tone: "Why, it's still in its infancy!"

[sound of AG's palm upside SD's head] :)

SDaniels Oct. 27, 2009 @ 11:22 a.m.

PS: Just email me the paper, doll. You have blogs to do too, and I would not attempt to attract angry, torch-wielding mobs my direction over possible interference with the appearance of a blog entry from antigeekess :)

cre0 Oct. 27, 2009 @ 11:28 a.m.

yes it is cre then the #0. Don't know how i came up with it other than cre is pretty close to my government name. Thanks again for all your encouragement. Yeah and I love reading anything that refriedgringo posts. Love the way he moves. Thats the word, its fluid. flowing like a stream.

CuddleFish Oct. 27, 2009 @ 11:49 a.m.

Dang, cre0, are you sure you ain't a ringer??? LOL! :)

factsforward Oct. 28, 2009 @ 10:29 a.m.

Good morning, Cre0.

I'm working on a project related to homelessness issues in the region. Is there any chance you'd be available to speak with me? I'd be happy to catch up with you at the library (some time when you're not swamped with school work).

Best wishes-

Colleen email: factsforward at gmail dot com

cre0 Oct. 28, 2009 @ 11:50 a.m.

To cuddlefish: Did u mean as in Salvation army bell "ringer", you actually lost me...LOL. I actually did put my application in for that position. I was just wondering. take care my friend.