The naked and tortured body of a state tax employee, Rogelio Sanchez Jimenez, was found hanging from a bridge over the free road to Rosarito Beach on Friday morning at 6:00 a.m. A huge traffic jam developed as looky-loos stopped to witness the bizarre and terrifying spectacle.

The victim’s head was swathed in adhesive tape, and he was found hanging by a cable tied around his neck, his feet tethered by another cable. The corpse bore the marks of a hideous torture, including castration (his testicles were taped to his head). The victim was ultimately asphyxiated, according to medical examiners.

As soon as authorities began arriving on the scene, they began to surmise that the body was that of the government taxman, who was kidnapped on Wednesday morning near his home.

People living in the area could offer no accounts to investigators as to how the body ended up suspended from the bridge.

Source: La Segunda (afternoon newspaper)

Click here to see graphic photo of hanging victim.

Comments

David Dodd Oct. 10, 2009 @ 6:14 p.m.

The victim worked for the state issuing DRIVER'S LICENSES, not tax stuff, and was tied to organized crime. Otherwise, another feel-good story. Dude, don't trust the afternoon editions.

antigeekess Oct. 10, 2009 @ 8:28 p.m.

So refried, in your opinion, what are the source and point of all these incorrect stories that come out of Mexico? It seems that when they're repeated up here, it's because the original source was wrong, right?

Is it just bad Mexican "journalism," then? Deliberate manipulation of the facts by the papers, the cops, or what?

I mean, I could understand if it was stuff that was deliberately manipulated to terrify Americans if it was done on this side. "See there? Don't go to Mexico! Keep your tourism and entertainment dollars in the U.S.!" Or something like that.

Why's it always so screwed up?

David Dodd Oct. 10, 2009 @ 9:12 p.m.

Some are okay. Others are just factually incorrect, I reckon it's more competition to get the jump on a rival paper. Unlike in San Diego, there are multiple dailys here. Any Reader stringer ganking stories out of a Mexican paper runs the risk of being wrong. The best way to write stringer stories is to investigate them independently.

Ponzi Oct. 10, 2009 @ 9:50 p.m.

So I guess he didn't own a truck or they would have hung his testicles on his trailer hitch like they do here in the US?

SDaniels Oct. 11, 2009 @ 3:52 a.m.

Gawd. Sadly, this piece lends a whole new meaning to the term "stringer story."

refried reported "The best way to write stringer stories is to investigate them independently."

Yes, I always have a sense that there is dishonor in just translating or slightly rewording details offered in another publication. Even more dishonor if facts are not checked. However, $50 a pop to investigate stringers independently? Probably not going to happen...The Reader doesn't care, surely; it is just "content" filling up space.

David Dodd Oct. 11, 2009 @ 4:12 a.m.

It's news, SD. This particular story is bound to be in the U-T tomorrow, but many aren't. Myself, I only submit a stringer story if I am present or involved somehow, but who am I to cast that requirement on stringers? I do encourage it, though. Otherwise, the stringer runs of risk of writing an incorrect story.

I've submitted three I think, and I was present and involved in all of them. One story the Reader rejected because I wouldn't site a source (I promised not to), but I certainly don't fault anyone for passing along information that would sometimes go unread in the U.S. But it is somewhat duplicit.

beckyp97 Oct. 11, 2009 @ 8:44 a.m.

Refriedgringo,

I'm sickened by your words of "another feel good story." I had the pleasure of knowing Rogelio Sanchez Jimenez, and its unfair that I have to not only read false publications about him, but unfair comments about him as well. Rogelio was a state official in charge of licences. He was of the few honest and humble men that were left in the Mexican government. A state government spokeswoman, made a statement saying that he was linked to the investigation of issuing fake licenses. She managed to leave out that while Rogelio was on his vacation her brother who also worked in that department, issued the fake licenses. At his return he discovered them and cancelled them. She failed to mention that her brothed fled to the United States. Unfortunately, journalist are twisting words around and are not reporting the truth. Anyone who had the pleasure of knowing Rogelio knows that he by no means was wealthy. He was a humble and a hard working man. Its unfortunate that people believe publications that are written poorly and lack the truth.

SurfPuppy619 Oct. 11, 2009 @ 9 a.m.

Refriedgringo,

Your reply Refried......

Rosarito411 Oct. 11, 2009 @ 12:48 p.m.

If ever the old journalism saying, "If it bleeds, it leads" ever applied, it applies to many Tijuana newspapers. They print photos that not even the National Enquirer would have printed 40 years ago.

As a resident of Rosarito, my question is since this happened in Tijuana, to a Tijuana resident, and reported in Tijuana newspapers, how did Rosarito get involved in the reporting of the story?

Because it was on the road to Rosarito? The same road goes to Ensenada and there are other known Tijuana neighborhoods that could have been used as a better reference. Why paint with the broad brush.

The facts that becky97, if true, are quite remarkable, and a REAL journalist would pursue that angle. Imagine... an honest bureaucrat in Tijuana? I would love to honor this guy if indeed what becky says is true... and I am one who is inclined to believe it is true.

Little has been said about the fact that the arrests, etc., that are taking place very often result from citizens providing information. People are beginning to have faith that if they support the police, law and order may be on the way.

Unfortunately, the cartels are still around and have the ability to commit murder; but if Rogelio Sanchez Jimenez took a stand and paid the price for being a person of integrity, the people should have a chance to know and honor him as part of Mexico's future, not think he was part of the problem. .

David Dodd Oct. 11, 2009 @ 1:29 p.m.

beckyp97: "Another feel good story" is SARCASM! Sarcasm is meant to be scornful in a mocking way. I'm sickened by your lack of ability to pick sarcasm out of a paragraph.

So far as Sanchez goes, sorry for your loss. However, since I haven't read your account of the story anywhere except here, pardon me if I question it. If your version is accurate, I'm certain that you'll have no problem getting one of the daily newspapers here to print it, once they have confirmed that it is true.

Russ Lewis Oct. 11, 2009 @ 2:24 p.m.

"Sarcasm is meant to be scornful in a mocking way"? Actually, sarcasm is simply saying the exact opposite of what you really mean -- "an extreme form of irony," our English teachers used to say. It's a risky thing to use, especially when you get taken at face value.

Barbarella Fokos Oct. 11, 2009 @ 4:14 p.m.

Re: sarcasm, I find that saying everything in a deadpan way allows me to claim sincerity or sarcasm based on the listener's visible reaction to my words. ;) With me, because of my tone of voice perhaps, people often assume I'm being sarcastic, even when I'm being serious. Sarcasm is difficult to impart in writing, when we don't have the luxury of facial expression. Perhaps Refried was being more facetious than sarcastic.

David Dodd Oct. 11, 2009 @ 5:01 p.m.

Sarcasm: Witty language used to convey insults or scorn.

Facetious: Cleverly amusing in tone.

It's likely somewhere in-between. But I would think, especially with my record of lashing out at all of the negativity often written about Baja, that my comment about "feel-good story" wouldn't be taken seriously. I could string stories all day long about the negative news here, but I don't. A couple of weeks ago, three cops were shot to death about two blocks from where I live - I didn't grab my camera and go play reporter. What good would that possibly do?

Everyone in Baja knows what's going on, and I've reached the conclusion that most people in the U.S. are going to believe whatever they want to believe, truth be damned. Is beckyp97's version of what happened true? I have no idea. I am skeptical, at best. What I do know is that here, money talks. The police do not. We may never know the entire truth about this.

Visduh Oct. 11, 2009 @ 7:54 p.m.

Well, refriedgringo, after all the previous exchange, I'm still trying to figure out what you think. You're the person on the scene. Was this official bent, or was he just another innocemt victim of something? You refer to many of us believing what we want to believe. WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE? Since "everyone in Baja knows what's going on", could you share some small part of that with us?

If you do not or cannot do that, "people in the U.S. are going to believe whatever they want to believe." If the picture in Baja and Mexico as a whole is not as bad as we think, we need some convincing of that. I might add that, absent some convincing that all is well in the Happy Republic, we'll continue to stay away in droves, the cruise ships will stop making port calls, and tourism will stay in the toi-toi.

Please, give it to us, straight from the shoulder. We can accept reality. What we have difficulty accepting is BS.

David Dodd Oct. 11, 2009 @ 8:33 p.m.

Okay, Visduh, this is what is going on:

There is a twenty million dollar industry - the running of drugs across the border - that is employing people who will do whatever it takes to make a piece of that money. Mostly because of pressure from the United States of America, Mexico is attempting to eliminate the cartels. This has started a war. The war does not involve civilians, and civilian casualties are very rare. Your newspapers, however, will not mention that fact.

Corruption in Mexico has traditionally been a simple short-cut for getting something done. The corruption is easily avoidable by the average Mexican, since it is blatant and visible. Such corruption is also easily exploited by the criminal element. In the days before the drug wars began, cops were bought easily and the cartels were happy. Now they are at war.

All officials are bent. It is a matter of degrees. Mexicans take their victories in small pieces. It took over seventy years from the last revolution until they had fair elections. Someday, they will get a handle on the corruption. In Mexico, these things take time.

Meanwhile, I don't think you should visit here. You are obviously frightened that you're a target. You aren't, but that fear will make you a target. Mexico will never run like the U.S., it can't. It shouldn't. What works here, works here. What is broken here will eventually be fixed. Until then, everyone here manages just fine.

So, here's what we have. Twenty billion dollars worth of drugs, annually, are ran into the U.S. The U.S. pledges a few million dollars in aid in the form of equipment for Mexico to fight a problem that shouldn't even be her problem in the first place. Americans read their newspapers and look south and say, "What the hell, Mexico? Can't you people control your criminal element?"

Then the Americans put down the paper and chop up another line of cocaine, and the snorting sound drowns out the truth, what everyone here knows. Mexicans are dying to supply the Americans with their dope, and twenty billion dollars buys a lot more weapons than a couple of million dollars, no matter how one prefers to do the math. But those newspapers will always point out that Mexico has a problem.

Visduh Oct. 11, 2009 @ 9:19 p.m.

OK, that was to the point, and your candor is welcome. I assume that you assume that this tortured official was somehow involved in the drug trade. I may have not made it clear that my fear is not one of becoming a victim of the drug war in Mexico. My fear is simpler--one of not wanting to become a victim of a cop-engineered street shakedown, a long-time feature of making visits to TJ/Rosarito. That sort of thing has been going on for decades, nay centuries. Only now it is really out in the open, and that dirty little secret of playing tourist in Mexico is better known.

It is comforting to hear you say that "everybody manages just fine." Is hanging from a bridge, castrated, Sanchez Jimenez' idea of "managing just fine?" I really, really doubt that he saw it what way.

US newspapers are constantly pointing out the shortcomings of life in the US, even if we cannot agree how to correct them. Should those US papers ignore horrific news from Mexico? I'm happy to have them tell us about all the killings there. We need to know, especially if we live within one or two hundred miles of the border. That stuff can spill over and does.

Visduh Oct. 14, 2009 @ 8:05 p.m.

It is hard to believe, but after about 72 hours of no further postings, I may have the last word on this matter. Very hard to believe, indeed.

David Dodd Oct. 14, 2009 @ 8:51 p.m.

Visduh, if you're uncomfortable visiting Baja, you shouldn't come. Why would I argue that point? And "the stuff" has already "spilled" over the border, I mean, that's the destination of the drugs. I don't beat a drum to try and stimulate tourism here, because quite frankly, there isn't any. It's gone. Mostly after 9/11 and somewhat because of negative press.

So far as the shake-downs, I've read about it, but not experienced it. Oh, sure, twenty years ago, before I spoke Spanish, a couple of times I was hassled, but I didn't give them a dime and they went away. But it's difficult for me to negate anyone else's experiences here, I wasn't there with them when it happened. Argumentatively, the last word is yours, but my Tijuana is a completely different version of it.

Visduh Oct. 15, 2009 @ 10:39 a.m.

Aw, shucks! And here I thought I'd made the last posting. Let me try again.