We are in driving distance to snow in the mountains (drive to, not shovel daily), riding motorcycles in the desert, surfing at the beach, and scenic beauty all around. If the author decided to live in the armpit of San Diego, that is her own fault. Sure, there are some not-nice areas and people, but every state has them. I visited Minnesota last year, very down-home, good ol’ American people, with picturesque surroundings, but some of the areas (and people) were more questionable, run-down, dilapidated, and downright ghetto in their own right, kind of like the movie Deliverance (sorry, I had to go there).

Though our two-bedroom homes are priced near a half million dollars, our condos are glorified apartments, and it can be swarming with all the tourists and traffic, we have great weather, a variety of places to go and things to do. Who wouldn’t want to live here? If you don’t want to live here or say back home is better, then go home! We could use the space.

Lady ’Manda
Escondido

AKs For The Elite

Re Bob Dorn’s whining (Letters, September 24) that “praise for lukewarm machos carrying empty political guns” is a sign that the Reader could be working for the Republican National Committee.

I fail to see how protesting the never-ending efforts of our government (composed almost entirely of Republicans and Democrats) to make law-abiding citizens defenseless, or near defenseless, on behalf of criminals is a party issue.

But if you want to make it so, know that “gun control” was originally for disarming African Americans on behalf of violent racists and today has rendered the ancient, fundamental human right of self-defense into a taxed privilege for the elite (through various forms of bribery or thousands of dollars in legal fees).

If you’re concerned about racism, as your highlighting “foreign pedicabbies” seems to indicate, why not be even more concerned about your government’s decades of systemic racism and elitism?

Name Withheld
via email

We Were Metal

In regards to the “Blurt” section, “Secret Assassin,” September 3 by Jay Allen Sanford. I enjoyed the story primarily because it mentioned the ’80s metal scene in San Diego. Assassin were a heavy metal band that I thought would become the next Mötley Crüe. In fact, Assassin had more talent than any L.A. band. All the horrible glam bands — they were all s***. Assassin was voted best local heavy metal band in all of San Diego in 1985.

For those of you who question San Diego’s metal scene in the 1980s, here is a brief reminder of what was happening. The following heavy metal bands played live consistently here in San Diego: Aircraft, Prowler, Sabbatage, Victim, Ragged Lace, Kaos, Chalace, Stress, Gardian, Snakebyte, Bible Black, Street Liegal, Shok, Twin Wire, Britton, Sin, Aslan, Elysian, Destiny’s Choice, Suspicion, Mistreated, etc. Contrary to belief or disbelief, there were venues to play in. Adams Avenue Theater, the Rock Palace, Carnation Hall, Silverado Ballroom, Winters Hall, Palisades Theater, the Bacchanal, SDSU’s Backdoor, Park Place, Wabash Hall, Straita Head Sound, Rios, the Stratus, La Paloma Theatre, the Spirit, the old Roxy Theater; also the Fox Theater, Lyric Theater, the California Theatre, which were larger venues.

It is safe to say that we had no problem within the San Diego local metal community. The promoters and the venue owners were very involved and organized, supportive in every way. In early 1983, KGB-FM contributed to the cause, creating the first-of-its-kind KGB Metal Shop, hosted by DJ Pat Martin, on Saturday night at midnight. Pat would spin records and answer the phone for two hours. The demand for metal was overwhelming. Metal Shop was another success story throughout the ’80s.

Also, we can’t forget the free publication S.D. Loud and Clear metal magazine that made its debut in early 1985, the zine designed and created by Tom Farrwell. The first year, it went 20,000 circulation. By 1986 it reached 50,000. Metal was alive and well here in San Diego. In fact, almost every conceivable heavy metal band that you can think of from L.A. wanted to play here. San Diego was fully recognized as the place where the scene was happening.

September 17, 1983, KGB-FM presented Sky Show 8. Def Leppard, Mötley Crüe, and Uriah Heep performed at Jack Murphy Stadium to a crowd of 50,000. Another estimated 5000 partiers were in the parking lot, enjoying the freedom of grilling hamburgers, hot dogs, steaks, and chicken and drinking cold beer with a couple of thousand friends and neighbors who had decided the parking lot was the place to be, with no restrictions. In fact, the atmosphere was almost surreal. One thing for sure, to enjoy the full impact of the gigantic KGB fireworks display, the parking lot was the best and was as close to ground zero as possible. The fallout zone, as I used to say. KGB employees actually handed out cardboard 3-D glasses to protect your eyes from falling ash. Protecting your clothes and hair was another story.

So, as you can see, San Diego is rich in metal history and events. And, of course, times have changed, but the memories are everlasting. One thing is certain, the 1980s were the best of times for all things metal.

Tony D. Metal
Spring Valley

Comments

PistolPete Oct. 7, 2009 @ 12:45 p.m.

RE:We Promo "Imagine a Californian going out to the Midwest, staying for a few years, and degrading the terrible weather and the slow-paced, cousin-marrying town they moved to. I’m sure the locals wouldn’t be too happy. Might get their pitchforks and have an old-fashioned lynching."

Another ignorant Californian. You'd think that as much as Californians take pride in their education system,some would actually use it. Terrible weather? Yes and no. Some of us humans look at a thunderstorm as a show of beauty from Mother Nature. Midwesterners respect nature because of tornadoes and floods.cough cough * FIRESTORM cough cough Slow-paced? Not hardly. You will encounter a Midwesterner or two such as myself that don't really give two s**s about keeping up with the Joneses but we're few and far between and our numbers get smaller every year. Cousin-marrying towns? Again,not hardly. I think you're thinking of the Deep South where even there you'll have to look hard for cases of cousins marrying cousins.

As for being none too happy with outsiders who didn't like our town,our thoughts are"Oh well". The Midwest is considered the Heartland because we take pride in being humble. Chicago is more of a world-class town than the Whale's Vagina could ever dream of being but you'll never hear Chicagoans claiming their town is"America's Finest".

Chicago:City of Big Shoulders Chicago:The Windy City Chicago:Hog Butcher for the World Chicago:Heart of America Chicago:The City that Works

Indianapolis:The Circle City Indianapolis:The Crossroads of America Indianapolis:Railroad City

Milwaukee:Cream City Milwaukee:Brew City Milwaukee:The City of Festivals

Minneapolis:City of Lakes Minneapolis:Twin Cities(because of St.Paul)

Cleveland:The Forest City

Detroit:The Motor City Detroit:Motown Detroit:The Rock City

David Dodd Oct. 7, 2009 @ 12:50 p.m.

To John Kitchin:

In over seventeen years living in Tijuana, and having walked the pedestrian bridge over the Tijuana River thousands of times (day and night), I have never been robbed, assaulted, or threatened in any way. In fact, even though I concede that there are occasional problems on the bridge, I know of no one that has been robbed or assaulted there. Beaudeau's account is the exception, rather than the rule.

Regarding your limited choice of alternative transportation from the border into downtown Tijuana, the yellow taxi syndicate has always charged five dollars to go downtown, for at least twenty years. Their only passengers are unwitting tourists who know of no other option. By walking south and to the east of the plaza encountered upon entering Tijuana, there are metered white and orange taxis that are metered, and the cost is generally three dollars. In walking to that destination, one will note that there are busses that also go to Centro, for seventy-five cents.

The fact that you neglect to mention such alternatives casts the other points of your letter into doubt. As with anyone considering to take a trip into Tijuana, I advise you to not come if you are frightened. Victims here are usually victims long before they step foot into Tijuana, and Tijuana doesn't need any more victims.

Also note that you are wrong about minimum wage in Mexico. First, it isn't measured hourly, it is measured daily. It is fifty-four pesos per day, but most workers make well over minimum wage in Tijuana. Most unskilled factory workers take home between sixty and ninety dollars per week. While this seems quite low in comparison to the United States, I remind you that Mexico isn't the United States, and you shouldn't expect it to be.

David Alton Dodd

Tijuana, B.C. Mexico

SurfPuppy619 Oct. 7, 2009 @ 1:30 p.m.

I also walked into TJ over the bridge-but the stench could be hard to take at times (urine was never a big favorite of mine).

But tourists don't know how easy it is to walk into TJ, so they pay the $5 bucks and get a ride.

I no longer go into TJ, reason #1-it is too dirty and just not fun, reason #2- with the violent drug shoot outs and the enourmous number of killings going on there today I feel it is just not worth the risk.

I have never had a problem on the walk from the boarder to TJ-ever. Nor have I ever seen any problems.

Josh Board Oct. 7, 2009 @ 3:52 p.m.

To Tony D. Metal.

Are you in the band Anvil?

SDaniels Oct. 7, 2009 @ 4:59 p.m.

"Chicago:Heart of America?"

How many cities use this one?

Gringo: Are you going to pick me up at the border when we meet? I still have that blasted Cam walker on R foot.

David Dodd Oct. 7, 2009 @ 5:08 p.m.

Of course, SD. But heal up first. We'll be walking a bit more than would be comfortable for you in a boot. Trust me, I wore one for a few months. We have lots of time for this.

PistolPete Oct. 8, 2009 @ midnight

2 cities use Heart of America-Chicago and Kansas City,Kansas. Baltimore's nickname is The Greatest City in America. Sounds like the Whale's Vagina on the East Coast...

Another nickname this town uses is Plymouth of the West. YAH! When I walk down to the beach,pilgrims are what I think of....lol.

Here's the list- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_...

magicsfive Oct. 8, 2009 @ 3:40 p.m.

RE: We Were Metal Great letter, Tony! ahh, you took me back in time. my ex-boyfriend and still good friend Mike Elliott was in the band Britton, and now owns Broke Boy Productions. he is doing well. and wow...RIOS? omg i was doorperson there for a year. good times, good times. thanks for the blast from the past!! xoxo

TBone_Rocker Feb. 26, 2011 @ 8:54 a.m.

RE: We were Rockers. Tony D Metal, you forgot to mention Eddie Money at Sky Show 8. Although easy to forget. Who thought to put him in the line-up with all the metal? THanks for the letter, it was fun to relive the days in SD. TBone.

SurfPuppy619 Feb. 26, 2011 @ 11:06 a.m.

I love Eddie Money ..... he used to live near me in the Bay Area many years ago.

MsGrant Feb. 27, 2011 @ 12:52 p.m.

I almost got trampled to death at an Eddie Money concert at Great America in the early '80s. My friend grabbed my hand and pulled me up before the herd of Money fans turned me into road kill.

SurfPuppy619 Feb. 27, 2011 @ 8:16 p.m.

I went to a "Day on the Green" at the Oakland Coliseum, and it was the same way, two girls were seriously injured due to a stampede at one of the outer fences. It was Day On The Green #3: Aerosmith, Foreigner, Pat Travers, Van Halen, AC/DC. July 23, 1978.

I really liked the concerts at Marriot's Gteat America. I saw "Pablo Cruise" there and really enjoyed ut. Hahhaha...who can remember Pablo Cruise!!!! Eddie Money was always one of my favorite singers back in the 70's and 80's, and still is.

MsGrant Feb. 28, 2011 @ 10:06 a.m.

Eddie Money was playing here not long ago - I almost went. I was at that same Day on the Green! I just posted a photo of my AC/DC t-shirt from that concert on Facebook. I actually wore it hiking yesterday :) Day on the Green - good times, good times. I went to Gilroy High, it was like Fast Times at Ridgemont High.