I kept going back to talk to the couple from across the street. They’ve lived in Mira Mesa since the ’70s, and I grew up there in the ’70s and ’80s. We reminisced about the days when Mira Mesa Boulevard ended before it reached Sorrento Valley. In fact, there was no place commonly known as Sorrento Valley.

I told him I remembered playing cowboys and Indians and war games out in those canyons. We once found a broken arrowhead, but it wasn’t until construction crews started building everything out there that we really started looking. It seemed every few months they’d stop because of Indian artifacts found in the ground.

He told me he once found fossils that had barnacles on them. He brought them to class and impressed his teacher.

Even though I had some nachos, a few cupcakes, and lots of peanuts, it didn’t stop me from slipping a few pieces of Halloween candy into my pockets as I left.

Comments

Crissyst Nov. 18, 2009 @ 9:05 p.m.

"The power of Christ compels you!" (Exorcist and The Omen)

Poor puppy and your poor wallet! My senior kitty Tofu was sick last month and $1500 later we still don't know what caused her vomiting episode.

Edward Cullen is a perfect costume as is John Gosselin. I think guys have it easier when dressing up for Halloween. They don't feel compelled to wear skimpy outfits and have to compete with the younger gals out there. Okay, maybe there are some dudes who do that. ;-)

Josh Board Nov. 19, 2009 @ 1:04 a.m.

I've always had mixed feelings on women dressing in skimpy outfits. One one hand, it's nice eye candy. But on the other hand, it's kind of idiotic. Halloween is supposed to be about scary things, or wearing a disguise. It's not supposed to be an excuse to act like a [insert offensive word here]. If you're an attractive woman, trust me ladies, we can tell. Even if you're wearing a regular Halloween costume and not a French maid, Playboy bunny, or whatever else (note to self: find out if French maids really dress like that, and why they don't look like the maids that work here!)

jfkali Nov. 19, 2009 @ 2:33 a.m.

Poor Cotton probably got into some halloween candy and got car sick. My pup gets car sick even if she just eats a treat before getting into the car! I learned FAST not to give her anything to eat if we are going for a drive. It is a wonder YOU did not get sick on the way home after eating all that junk!! :)

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 19, 2009 @ 12:19 p.m.

Laura rolled over on skates to greet us. She was a roller-derby gal, with the name Boob B. Crusher. Someone commented on the number 00 on her jersey, which was drawn to look like breasts.

By JoshBoard

The French Maid, and ESPECIALLY teh Playboy Bunny costumes are such a joke that it is pathetic when I see some youngen running around in that outfit at Holloween!

Laura on the other hand.......YES!, bring it on rollerbabe!

Josh Board Nov. 21, 2009 @ 2:03 a.m.

I didn't realize the "power of christ compels you!" was used in two films. I remember it in Exorcist.

I remember the priest in Zapped! (remember when Scott Baio and Willie Aames actually had careers?) I just can't type the Latin they yelled at him as he came down the stairs.

Anyone remember Richard Pryor on that first season of Saturday Night Live? His skits were amazing. They did a take off on Exorcist. The girl yelled "Your mother sews socks that smell!" And he said "Don't be talkin' 'bout my mama!" before wailing punches on her.

A cat named Tofu? What is up w/ that? I'm guessing the cat would be more than happy to eat meat, even if you don't ;-)

Crissyst Nov. 21, 2009 @ 3:08 a.m.

My mistake. I believe in The Omen, Gregory Peck utters something in Latin, probably what you're referring to In Zapped! when he's about to kill Damien (I think.)

That Richard Pryor/ Exorcist sketch on SNL was a riot!

Tofu's brother is named Wonton. Isn't that adorable? haha! Oh, they only eat cat food with chicken or turkey. No beef.

Josh Board Nov. 21, 2009 @ 3:14 a.m.

I saw Omen when I snuck into a movie theatre when I was 11. So, I wasn't doubting you. I just found it an odd coincidence.

In Zapped, it sounded like "Say quala, say qualorum" (I'm sure the typo Nazis will come out and give you the proper Latin spelling, as well as indicate how this shows my ignorance...but hey, I got a C- in Latin. It wasn't my best subject)