I was driving through Pacific Beach on Saturday, September 14, when I noticed a small group of people on Garnet Avenue clad in orange vests and armed with trash tongs. I stopped to chat.

Turned out the group was working to have “quality-of-life crimes” erased from their records. Examples of quality-of-life crimes include drinking or smoking at the beach, walking a dog without a leash, and urinating in public.

“You have to be eligible...can’t have any felonies...but the violation gets removed from your record once you complete the program,” says Discover PB executive director Andy Hanshaw.

For those interested, the program has two parts, according to Hanshaw. “For two hours on a Thursday evening, offenders meet with community members to understand the impact their crimes have on residents. They’ll hear from a trauma nurse and local police officers. Then, for four hours on a Saturday, they’ll help clean up the community.”

Hanshaw said there are between 25 and 30 eligible violators monthly. The program is a partnership with Discover PB, the city attorney, and the Park & Recreation Department.

Comments

PistolPete Nov. 16, 2009 @ 12:49 a.m.

"For those interested, the program has two parts, according to Hanshaw. “For two hours on a Thursday evening, offenders meet with community members to understand the impact their crimes have on residents."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Really? O_o I'm glad I payed a fine when I got caught pissin' in public.

PacificBeacher Nov. 16, 2009 @ 11:18 a.m.

I like it. I think it's a great option for people who just turned 21 that don't have the money to pay the fines when they get popped for these sorts of violations. And that it gives community members an outlet to tell-off the perps, hey, works for both sides!

For those interested in further coverage of drunken tomfoolery in Pacific Beach(including this story), check out www.pacificbeacher.com

Robert Johnston Nov. 16, 2009 @ 3:06 p.m.

Before one leaves the tavern or nightclub, a trip to the piddle-parlor beats getting a citaton and community service for letting it rip behind a Dumpster.

Trying to clean stale wee-wee off of a stoop or a trash container is a lunch-losing process involving lots of bleachwater, scrubbing, and some ground kitty litter to finish the job (the abrasive grinds out the color).

Add to that the fact that human piddle also kills grass and sickens trees...like I said before, put a visit to the piddle-parlor on your "to-do" list before you go out into the night!

(BTW, you can guess why I'm using "baby-language" to describe the effluent-at-hand...I don't need to be called a "potty-mouth" for using the four-lettered version of the word! LMAO!)

--RKJ

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 16, 2009 @ 3:28 p.m.

I have seen so much worse in PB than the nonsense listed here.

I would hope the crimes listed-smoking/drinking at the beach, peeing in public and walking your dog without a leash (who made up that stupid law anyway??) would be infractions, and not actual misdemeanor offenses. If they were infractions-which they should be- they would fall off the record after 3-5 years.

Russ Lewis Nov. 16, 2009 @ 5:03 p.m.

"...walking your dog without a leash (who made up that stupid law anyway??)" Maybe people whose animals were attacked by unleashed dogs.

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 16, 2009 @ 5:59 p.m.

If you have a vicious animal it should not be out in public, on a leash or otherwise.

I have never seen unleashed dog attack another animal or person myself.

Maybe they should limit the law to those who are offenders.

Russ Lewis Nov. 16, 2009 @ 6:10 p.m.

"I have never seen [an] unleashed dog attack another animal or person myself." It happened to my friend's neighbor's dog and nearly happened to my friend's dog. And my next-door neighbors lost a cat to an unleashed dog.

"Maybe they should limit the law to those who are offenders." Dogs?

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 16, 2009 @ 7:04 p.m.

"Maybe they should limit the law to those who are offenders." Dogs?

By russl

The owners. If they have weapons (vicious animals) out of control they should be held responsible. Like I said-I have never seen it and I don't have animals that attack other animals. . .

kill the owners not the dogs ....

By fumber

For once I am going to agree with our village idiot.

Russ Lewis Nov. 16, 2009 @ 7:16 p.m.

"If they have weapons (vicious animals) out of control they should be held responsible."

That works great after the fact.

"Like I said-I have never seen it and I don't have animals that attack other animals."

Glad you don't. But that hardly means it doesn't happen.

jenjen Nov. 17, 2009 @ 6:51 a.m.

I have personally been attacked twice by unleashed dogs in PB. In both cases they were dachsunds so it was more comical than dangerous. In one case the owner was apologetic and tried to catch him but in the other case he did nothing and I had to hit the dog with my bag to get him to back down. Stupid thing bit my ankle, but didn't puncture the skin thankfully. I would LOVE to make that idiot owner clean the streets for four hours.

xians421 Nov. 17, 2009 @ 3:48 p.m.

"Maybe they should limit the law to those who are offenders."

Aren't ALL laws limited to those who are offenders?

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 17, 2009 @ 3:59 p.m.

LOL....a dachsund, LOL!