“While standing in the jewelry store of Jorge Espinoza, I realized that I had a bag on my right shoulder but no bag on my left shoulder,” Colleen McAvoy recounted of an incident that occurred on a recent trip to Tijuana. “Suddenly, we realized I must have left it in the yellow taxi which dropped us off nearly…a half hour before. [This bag was] the one with handbag, wallet, passport, camera, etc....

“Espinosa immediately jumped to our aid,” she continued. “He closed his shop and drove us in his own car to where we had gotten the taxi. As my husband and I were looking at dozens of yellow taxis and their drivers, Espinosa spoke to drivers, found a supervisor who radioed around, and within five minutes we were told that my bag had been found. In three more minutes, our taxi driver [Guillermo Lizarraga Alvarado] pulled up with my bag, completely intact.

“I could have left a bag in a taxi in San Francisco, New York, or any of a dozen cities and not had an outcome like that. Tijuana has many fine, honest, hard-working people who are suffering from a combination of the economic downturn and bad press.”

Comments

Foster75 Nov. 13, 2009 @ 4:09 p.m.

Great follow up. Looks like you are getting good at hero stories. Keep up the good work.

abbeyrd Nov. 13, 2009 @ 11:08 p.m.

Great customer service! I do wonder however, if the reason Jorge did what he did is because you spent or were planning to spend a high dollar amount in his jewelry store.

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 14, 2009 @ 9:24 a.m.

By abbeyrd

They did not spend any money in the store and the blog made no mention of it-so why jump to such a conclusion? Or even speculate in that?

Jorge is a good guy, and an honest man-take it at face value.

divedeeper Nov. 14, 2009 @ 1:17 p.m.

Jorge Espinosa became my friend as he became my jewelry repair guy. After I took a lot of little pieces of no consequential value, I took him a broken rope of pearls to be restrung. Trust comes slowly.

Which jewelry store in San Diego could I trust to do such fine work and not steal pearls or trade them out? When he told me that I should insure the rope for $4,000, I thought that he was joking.

Jorge is a valued friend, who would not hesitate to close his shop in the interest of assisting someone in distress. Beyond that, he is a highly respected jewelry designer on both sides of the border. Kudos to a fellow American citizen!

Microsoft92114 Nov. 14, 2009 @ 3:29 p.m.

I highly doubt if any jewelry store manager would close shop to help locate a missing handbag. It would seem that the taxi drivers have ID and numbers so I guess locating the vehicle would not have been much of problem except for the language barrier of being in another country.

Aziz Nov. 15, 2009 @ 4:31 p.m.

Nice to know that there are some good people in TJ since I go there sometimes.

elmo90813 Nov. 16, 2009 @ 11:28 a.m.

A copy of this article was posted on our local Yahoo PuntaBanda Bulletin Board. The response of the expatriot community here in Ensenada, B.C. as well as response from Mexicans was overwhelming. The bad press is irritating to those of us who live here.

Is it possible to contact Noel Gallego? Our goal is attempt to have it reprinted in Spanish for the many residents of Tijuana who are just as described. It may not raise the economic downturn, but certainly would lift their spirits. We care.

Elinor Morrison

Duhbya Nov. 16, 2009 @ 1:10 p.m.

Bravo, bravo, bravissimo! There are multitudes of untold "decentfolk" stories throughout Baja. The bad guys almost always get the press. Thank you for sharing.

David Dodd Nov. 16, 2009 @ 1:25 p.m.

"I highly doubt if any jewelry store manager would close shop to help locate a missing handbag."

Yes, here they would. And they do.

"It would seem that the taxi drivers have ID and numbers so I guess locating the vehicle would not have been much of problem except for the language barrier of being in another country."

It doesn't work here in Mexico like it does in the U.S. The taxis have numbers, but there isn't some taxi cage with some guy in charge of knowing who drives which cab. Plus, there are thousands of taxis here. Locating the driver the way they did in the story is the best way of tracking down lost belongings.

ucsdmom Nov. 20, 2009 @ 1:09 p.m.

I don't about you but when I take a taxi and get out of it again, I don't have the driver's name and badge number written down in case I left something behind. Maybe that would be a good idea to do automatically...

mh91945 Nov. 21, 2009 @ 3:12 p.m.

mh91945 Nov. 21, 2009 @ 3:15 p.m.

You got a good point there UCSDMom! I forgot a bag of belongings in a taxi cab in Los Angeles and spent a day looking for it and did not find it at all. I got the run-around treatment. It's not something I can really report to the police. Oh well, I guess travelling in Mexico might not be so bad after all. By the way Noe's number is 619-674-7713.