Tijuana´s city historian, Mario Ortiz Villacorta of the Museo del Trompo, criticized city hall last week for not doing more to preserve the older parts of the border metropolis; specifically, the district known as El Centro, which runs through Avenida Revolución, the main tourist drag. Ortiz is calling for a rescue of streets and buildings, which in many cases have been completely abandoned.

“It will require a big investment in money and effort to do it all,” he said in an interview Tijuana’s Frontera newspaper. Inside the El Centro district are the notorious Zona Norte nightclubs, which Ortiz referred to as “a frightening spectacle for tourists because of the proliferation of places where prostitution is practiced, where assaults occur, and where indigents sleep in the streets.”

In recent years, new, wider sidewalks have been added to Revolución and parts of the nightclub district, creating a more spacious, pedestrian-friendly environment, and improvements have been made in the sewer system. Recently, several older budget hotels in the Zona Norte along Calle Artículo 123 (First St.), across from Plaza Santa Cecilia, have undergone face-lifts and interior remodeling.

Comments

scottmorse July 18, 2009 @ 10:44 a.m.

SEEMS TO ME ....THAT IN ORDER TO SAVE T.J. FIRST THING THEY NEED TO DO IS STOP THE FLOOD NORTH OF PEOPLE THAT COULD HELP SAVE THEIR OWN COUNTRY.....SECOND IS...STOP THE DRUGS..AND ALL THE S*** THAT GOES ALONG WITH IT...IF THE MEXICANS WANT TO SAVE T.J. THEN SAVE T.J. TIME FOR SOME PEOPLE NEED TO STAND UP SOUTH OF THE BORDER

David Dodd July 18, 2009 @ 12:43 p.m.

Beaudeau: Those "completely abandoned buildings" are privately owned, by a handful of extremely wealthy families. They aren't owned by the City of Tijuana, and most have little or no historical value. Ortiz sounds like a moron. Where was he when they bulldozed the old bullring?

Scottmorse: All you have to do is to make all people in the United States not do drugs. If there are no consumers, there will be no drug problem. Good luck with that.

noneckjoe July 18, 2009 @ 1:16 p.m.

GoodKing July 18, 2009 @ 1:21 p.m.

SCOTTMORSE: and noneckjoe:

THE US SHOULD FINALLY GET SERIOUS ABOUT CURBING DRUG USE IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY. NO DRUG ADDICTS NORETH OF THE BORDER, NO DRUG TRAFFIc.

ARGUING THAT ONLY MEXICANS SUE DRUGS HERE IS REDICULOUS. ALL THOSE GRINGOS HIGH ON COCAINE AND MARIJUANA FOR DECADES HAVE NOW DISAPPEARED?

STOP BLAMING MEXICO OR TERRORIRSTS OR SOMEONE ELSE FOR THE PROBLEMS IN THE USA.

START DRIVING SMALLER CARS, USING YOUR ACOINDITIONING LES AND ALL IN ALL BEING GOOD WORLD CITIZENS AND STOP BEING BIG KIDS AND RACISTS.

David Dodd July 18, 2009 @ 1:25 p.m.

"Maybe if all the illigals and there offspring in the US, would stop using the drugs from their beloved Mexico, the drug flow to the US would diminish."

The "illigals (sic) and there (sic) offspring in the US" can't afford to do drugs. It's sad how many U.S. Americans want to blame Mexicans for all of their problems. In a country where they pride themselves on not being racist, it never ceases to amaze me how racism seems to be a recurring theme. What are you saying there, noneckjoe? Illegal immigrants go to the U.S. so they can purchase drugs at a much higher price than they could if they did them in Mexico?

Here's where your logic fails you: Mexico does not have near the drug use problem that the U.S. does. You'll have to explain that in order to substantiate your theory.

GoodKing July 18, 2009 @ 1:29 p.m.

START BLAMING LIMBO RUSH AND OTHER RIGHT WING RACISTS AND EXTREMISTS FOR YOUR LACK OF REASONING. START READING SOME BOOKS AND LEARNING FOREIGN LANGUAGES AND A FOREIGN CULTURE AND TALK TO SOMEONE OTHER THAN THE NEXT DOOR HILLBILLY AND YOU WILL START CHANGING

SDaniels July 18, 2009 @ 1:34 p.m.

"Maybe if all the illigals and there offspring "

Jesus. There is an awful lot of work to do here. Maybe if all the illiterates and their offspring...

David Dodd July 18, 2009 @ 1:43 p.m.

Ha! What I am truly wanting is that the offspring of illegals (and perhaps illiterates) can write and spell better than their parents.

By the way, SD, next time we get together I am loaning you Ham On Rye. I just finished re-reading it - the first time I read it I was probably too young to appreciate the raw simplicity. You can loan me Post Office, I'd love to re-read it. Then we'll meet again and re-exchange books. I'll be sure and write a note in it this time.

And GoodKing, I agree - people need to stop loaning their minds out to media idiots and start thinking on their own.

SDaniels July 18, 2009 @ 1:48 p.m.

Happy to start a lending library with you, gringo :) Email me, and we'll set up.

GoodKing July 18, 2009 @ 1:59 p.m.

A pleasure refriedgringo and sdaniels. Until later!

medstudent July 18, 2009 @ 5:52 p.m.

they should save themselves, its not our problem. If they can't control their people they shouldn't try to save it, they don't help each other out down there. I went there and when i got back I felt like I needed a shower with bleach. It was so disgusting. If they want to save their city, they have to get rid of the crime, along with the drug cartel and then they can clean up their country. Their legislature needs to be reestablished, and start cleaning the outskirt towns first then move in, the poor turn to drugs, so if they work on their economy most of them are less likely to get into drugs. I really hope they can save Mexico, its a could be a nice vacation country to visit after that.

medstudent July 18, 2009 @ 6:11 p.m.

REFRIED GRINGO are you kidding me, their is an abundance of drug use in Mexico. There has been a case study on the age of Mexican vs American children doing drugs, the average age of a Mexican child to start drugs was an astonishing 11 years old, as the average for an American was 17 years old. Along with the drug use in America is a high 8 percent amongst while Mexico is 22 percent the only countries to beat Mexico is Belgium and China. This is polled as a person who does drugs at least once a week or more. But, the only downfall to the know the truth is that marijuana, prescription drugs (not officially prescribed to you), and methamphetamines, etc are all combined into this study so once they specify on what types of drugs each country is using they can focus on fixing the problem. I am not saying that there are no drugs in America because there are drugs everywhere. But, in the Mexican states, there are thousands of acres of opium plants, along with marijuana plants, that are so heavily guarded that the Federalis cannot get to it, it is well known on the locations, the Mexican drug cartel is their own entity like the Yakuza in Japan. Its like two military branches are fighting against each other in the country. Once they take down these cartels drug prices in the U.S. will sky rocket, and drug use will go down in both countries. Everything is based on Mexico since they are a huge contributing factor to trafficking drugs in the U.S. vice the small class labs in the U.S., doctoring OTC drugs into worse things for your body. I am working on my study on drugs and the physiology on the human body. You should do some studying as well. It will enlighten your thinking that third world countries are contributing factors to the world's drug problem and they need to solve them on their own so they can become self sufficient at minimizing their problems.

David Dodd July 18, 2009 @ 6:33 p.m.

Medstudent: I've lived in Mexico for seventeen years. I've raised three kids here, none of which do drugs. Your invitation to do some studying is sort of moot, I can tell you EMPIRICALLY that drug use is less prevelant here than in the U.S. There is drug abuse everywhere, but the U.S. takes the cake.

Memorize these three words: Twenty. Billion. Dollars.

That's how much in drugs crosses the border every year. And you are telling me that the problem, the consumer, is here? The cartels run as a business, or as businesses, because twenty billion dollars of the U.S. economy is spent each year doing drugs. And you think that Mexico is the problem?

Also, I dare you to substantiate your statistics, I'd bet a boatload of money that you are entirely incorrect or fooled by your source. Marijuana in small amounts is legal here, and many drugs can be purchased over-the-counter here that are not available without a prescription in the U.S. Purchase and use does not necessarily mean abuse.

Mexico is not a "third world country". It is an emerging nation. It is also the second largest trading partner of the United States of America. And if it bothers you to come here to the point where you need bleach, perhaps you shouldn't return. In fact, please don't. Your first comments were extremely racist, and your second comments are extremely uninformed.

Also, be advised: So long as twenty billion U.S. dollars are snorting cocaine and whatever else over on your side of the big metal fence, the cartels aren't going anywhere. The problem isn't Mexico, it's the consumers with twenty billion dollars.

Visduh July 18, 2009 @ 7:02 p.m.

I'm really curious about which medical school is attended by medstudent. His spelling is shaky, syntax not very sharp, and punctuation worse. I thought medical schools took the best of the best students. Straight A's all through high school and four years of college. They should be able to spell, organize and punctuate better than that.

Too bad, because I tend to agree with his/her conclusion that the US is not to be blamed for all the many ills of Mexico. Sadly, all the shortcomings of that sad nation have been blamed on the US since 1847. In fact, I'm totally tired of the US being blamed for all the world's ills. Think that's an exaggeration? Even our own new prez is apologizing for all the bad the US has done.

How about we look at all the GOOD done by the US? No more Hitler, no more USSR, food and medical aid across the globe for at least 65 years, reconstruction of western Europe, bringing Japan into the community of modern, democratic nations, and the list goes on and on. Stop the self flagellation, please.

David Dodd July 18, 2009 @ 8:02 p.m.

What about the only two nuclear weapons ever dropped on another country? What about the indigenous people that were enslaved on reservations (not to mention American-Japanese during WWII)? Slavery as an institution? Freemont's invasion of Mexico based on lies and thievery?

What I'm really tired of is people in the U.S. blaming Mexico for THEIR rampant drug abuse, stupid welfare programs, and crappy self-serving government. ESPECIALLY when they live in California.

Visduh, I'm not anti-American, I AM an American, but holy crap. You're the last person from which I expected a response like this

"No more Hitler."

No. But eight years of Bush was enough. His daddy sucked, too.

"No more USSR."

Um. I don't think the U.S. did that. I think that the Russians just got tired of communism. Reagan's speech was nice, but I don't thinks that the Russians gave a crap about what he had to say. I think they were tired of being poor and being lied to.

"Food and medical aid across the globe for at least 65 years."

Again, the U.S. was simply a part of it. England and France probably did more, expansionist countries love to give. But let's not forget about the spread of smallpox. That killed millions (It's all about giving). The least that the European bloodline could do was to invent antibiotics. And whiskey. And TNT. And DDT.

"Reconstruction of western Europe, bringing Japan into the community of modern, democratic nations."

Yeah. The U.S. blows the crap out of a country and then rebuilds it. Woo-hoo. Let's talk about the fire-bombing of Dresden for a while. How do you rebuild people?

Point is, this is the exact reason why so many foriegn countries can't seem to embrace America. Americans are too busy congratulating themselves for what they've done right which makes it impossible to recognize what they've done wrong.

I don't think that Obama has to apologize for anything. I also know that Mexico is not "a sad nation". Look at it this way - The Japanese have a wonderful proverb: "The reverse side also has a reverse side." This is what happens.

SDaniels July 18, 2009 @ 11:14 p.m.

Well said, refried. And Visduh, I believe "med" in "medstudent" may be an acronym for "Me Educated Darn (Good)."

rickeysays July 19, 2009 @ 4:42 a.m.

Visduh, realize Obama is just trying to undo eight years of damage to foreign relations done by Bush. Showing a little humility, a little collegiality, after eight years of "you're with us or you're a terrorist lover" is a good thing. I hate the liberal America-haters as much as you, but don't be over-sensitive. Refried, what a country does to win a war it didn't start is almost always going to be justified. I feel sorry for the civilian casualties as much as you, but THEY STARTED THE WAR. In war, you fight to win, or you risk losing. And yes in balance, America is the greatest force for good on this planet, and it's not even close.

Res09 July 19, 2009 @ 7:49 a.m.

Guess What i live in california and if all the damn MEXICANS that are ILLEGAL didnt drain money from welfare than cali would be a MUCH richer state. Lets get some FACTS. ILLEGAL ALIENS (mexicans) account for 1.2 million ...... 1.2 MILLION cases, hmmmmmmmmm lets do some math, 1.2 MILLION xs 700.00 ( just cash aid lets not included food stamps) 840,000,000.00 Eight Hundred and forty MILLION dollars, 840,000,000.00 A MONTH, thats a month and ur gonna tell me they have nothing to do with CAs defict? you either stupid or 1/2 retarded.... if ur 1/2 retarded refried i am certified to teach you baseball. And why is it so hard for people to realize ILLEGAL alien is heres a surprise ILLEGAL. So ya when my daughter is in a classroom with a 2nd rate teacher trying to teach 37 kids in a classroom with more than 70% from illegal familys. I have a problem with this and her education

SDaniels July 19, 2009 @ 10:13 a.m.

rickeysays, your attempts to act as some kind of mediator are undone by your own ridiculous claims.

rickeysays: "And yes in balance, America is the greatest force for good on this planet, and it's not even close."

I'd love to hear the argument behind this statement. rickeysays has also claimed that it is Western civ we need to credit with the end of all slavery--and racism.

I guess anyone who disagrees with rickeysays is a "liberal America hater?" (whom rs "hates", btw)

I'm not up for another half-assed 'discussion'--just wanted to make sure y'all are on the same ideological page here. It is clear that some of you are, regrettably for history, reality, and human sensibility.

David Dodd July 19, 2009 @ 10:53 a.m.

Res09, all families on welfare in the State of California number less than 500,000. Around 50% of these families are Hispanic. Since you are mathematics-challenged, that's 250,000 Hispanic families on welfare in California. While you might want to believe that every Hispanic is an illegal alien, they aren't. I realize that it's politically fashionable these days to want to believe that every Mexican in California is an illegal, but you are bound to be disappointed.

Illegal immigrants are not entitled to receive wefare. However, the citizen children of illegal immigrants may qualify, and some do. It is estimated that less than 200,000 kids are on this program (CALWorks) which costs the State of California $500,000,000.00 per YEAR, so your imaginary number of $840,000,000.00 per MONTH... Well, to put it in baseball terms for you, because apparently you're the one who is half-retarded - it's just a LITTLE BIT HIGH.

Those are facts, my sources are directly from AFDC (The U.S. Department of Health and Social Services), the Wall Street Journal, and the Los Angeles Times.

California's problem isn't illegal immigrants. California's problem is that the politicians spend taxpayer money in programs that are designed to ensure votes. Welfare is one of those programs. Don't believe me? Watch what happens next. Arnold is trying to pass a law that will deny the citizen children welfare benefits. He knows that the courts would overturn such a law as being unconstitutional. So why press the issue? To get people like you to vote for him or his party.

The other party does the same thing in reverse. They know they won't get your vote, so they back the polar opposite and get votes from legal Latinos. If you can't see this and understand it, then you deserve to be the tool that you appear to be. Your problem isn't illegal immigrants, it's your own inability to understand that you're being controlled by your politicians and your media.

You can't see things for how you want them to be until you learn to see things for how they are.

SurfPuppy619 July 19, 2009 @ 12:31 p.m.

That statement is 100% accurate and true.

SurfPuppy619 July 19, 2009 @ 12:34 p.m.

I think that number is low for a state with a population of 38 million.

David Dodd July 19, 2009 @ 1:09 p.m.

"If the "average" family consists of 4 people, then that is 2 million recpients of welfare.

I think that number is low for a state with a population of 38 million."

The government doesn't measure the number of "people" on welfare, but rather the number of families. This makes sense, because the welfare issued is meant to represent a household rather than individuals.

However, if you wish to presume that families of four are accurate (I would disagree, I think that welfare families might average much higher than the norm for many reasons), then consider that one in every nineteen families are receiving welfare in California. How is that "low"? It's almost 5%!

urbadd0518 July 19, 2009 @ 3:40 p.m.

i just don't get it i always thought people are supposed to help those that are misfortunate all they want to do is to help there familys and have a better life isn't that what everybody want's?

Visduh July 19, 2009 @ 5:39 p.m.

I hit a few nerves, didn't I? Now we really know what we may have only suspected about SDaniels and refriedgringo. They are two more US haters. One lives here (presumably), the other is doing the expat thing in nearby TJ.

David Dodd July 19, 2009 @ 5:53 p.m.

"They are two more US haters."

I can't speak for SDaniels, but I don't hate the U.S., even if it does seem to contain a lot of people who are surprisingly uninformed, incredibly self-righteous, and ignorantly presumptuous. All I have to do is to listen to conservative talk-radio and I understand where it comes from.

Visduh, it's interesting to note that your nationalism is bigger than your education, intelligence, and wisdom. And perhaps your... um, ability to hit a few nerves. Don't give yourself so much credit.

Visduh July 19, 2009 @ 6:06 p.m.

I won't, as long as you do likewise.

David Dodd July 19, 2009 @ 6:32 p.m.

Visduh, YOU are the one who decided to become accusatory. If you wish to have a lively discussion, I'm up for it. When you decide to label me, then it doesn't work. When you or anyone else resorts to throwing darts at me, then I'm simply going to throw them back toward where they came from.

You will find that I will (and prefer to) disagree with someone in a rational manner rather than resort to name-calling and random labeling. I respect rationality, and have no respect for irrational anger. Especially on the internet.

Visduh July 19, 2009 @ 7:52 p.m.

refriedgringo--I described you as an "expat", short for expatriate, and you describe me as accusatory. Look that term up in your Funk & Wagnalls, and it describes your status exactly.

Oh, you refer to "US hater". Let any reader of this discourse simply look at response #15 and judge for him/herself. BTW I agree with you on the two presidents Bush. Our reasons for that are doubtlessly poles apart.

In response #26, I must say that nobody has excoriated me as thoroughly as you in years. Maybe ever. Most of the time I'm complimented on my "education, intelligence and wisdom." Aw shucks!

David Dodd July 19, 2009 @ 8:35 p.m.

I am an expatriate, I've blogged it here. I'm proud of it. I've learned a foreign language, learned a different culture, and have somehow managed to gain the respect of the people that live here. Why would that be a problem? Why should that make me someone who hates the U.S? I didn't leave because I hated the U.S. I married a Mexican and had a daughter here. And that shouldn't matter anyway, people can live wherever they choose.

My response in #15 was directly in references to your nationalistic rhetoric about how nothing the U.S. has ever done has been wrong. I addressed each point. I did so with the same passion that you used when you made your points.

In response #26, they were the same darts tossed back at you from your response #25.

As I have said, I will grant you and promise you the same amount of respect that you give to me. People are likely to disagree, no matter how smart they might be. My responses to you are based accordingly. Nice breeds nice. Not nice breeds not nice. Respect breeds respect. All of this, regardless of ideology.

Visduh July 19, 2009 @ 8:58 p.m.

Hear, hear. Let's give this a rest for now. OK?

SDaniels July 20, 2009 @ 12:42 a.m.

Visduh: "I hit a few nerves, didn't I? Now we really know what we may have only suspected about SDaniels and refriedgringo. They are two more US haters."

Vis...huh? Well, refried, we've been found out, as well as having our nerves struck. Now we're going to have to put our plans to undermine all this senselessly engorged nationalist pride on hold. "Oh, say can you see...?"

PistolPete: "Don't get me started on all the Mexicant's..."

Why don't you get started on an education first, Pete? That would be a triumphant first move on your plan for bettering this country.

PistolPete July 19, 2009 @ 11:58 p.m.

"Mexico is not a "third world country". It is an emerging nation. It is also the second largest trading partner of the United States of America."

I'm not going to pi$$ on anyone's parade here. I'll be honest,I'm from Chicago and really don't give two ss about Mexico or California. I just have to say,I about died laughing at gringo's above comments. Mexico might as well be a 3rd world country. The illegals take ss in public bathrooms,wipe their nasty a$$es and toss the used a$$wipe in the corner. Somebody really needs to tell these guys that once they sneak across the border,the toilets actually flush.

We can thank Clinton and NAFTA for just as cheap goods from Mexico. Hmmmm. China,Mexico or Thailand? Gee guys,maybe we should go back to only buying goods made here in the U.S..

Don't get me started on all the Mexicant's who wave their flag so proudly while thumbing their noses at the government who support their lazy a$$es. The old stereotype of the laid-back Mexican who works hard just to enjoy a cerveza in the shade is just that-OLD! I will admit however that the illegals I've worked with are harder workers than spoiled SoCal teenagers who wouldn't know a day's worth of work if it bit them in the a$$.

PistolPete July 20, 2009 @ 1:49 a.m.

An education? $hiiiiiiiit! I'm no college valedictorian but I'm no dummy either. It's really hard to have any sympathy for anyone who goes to another country demanding change without trying to change their country first. This also includes the English"settlers"as well. Our new slogan should be: AMERIKA! Home of the Republican't and the Mexican't and land of the losing freedoms faster than a Asian loses $$$ at an Indian casino.

As for bettering this country,sure. I'm a firm believer in total anarchy to straighten ourselves out. If Amerikans put half the effort into standing up for what's good about this country as they do when it comes time to vote for the next Amerikan Idol,this really would be the greatest country on Earth.

SpliffAdamz_ July 20, 2009 @ 9:53 a.m.

Yo PistolPete it's spell AMERIKKKA!!! You forgot two more ks!!!

Duhbya July 20, 2009 @ 10:37 a.m.

Nice try, PP: "In 1991 Bush (Senior) proposed a North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) between the United States, Mexico, and Canada, which would lower or eliminate tariffs on trade between the three nations." -Michael Duffy, B.A. Correspondent, Time magazine. Author of Marching in Place: The Status Quo Presidency of George Bush.

For someone who professes to not " give two s***s about Mexico or California", you sure can "speak on" them both. Do I hear Chicago begging you to return? Probably not, but wouldn't you be happier? Apparently, you're miserable in SoCal.

PistolPete July 20, 2009 @ 2:16 p.m.

"Yo PistolPete it's spell AMERIKKKA!!! You forgot two more ks!!!"

I purposely left out the bastardized version only for political purposes. When using Amerika,you're talking about the original naziesque version. When using Amerikkka,you're you're talking about the way this country has treated it's minorities. I'm a racist in the sense that if it walks like a duck,quacks like a duck and looks like a duck,it must be a goddamn duck. All humans are racist in one sense or another. It's just our nature. I'm certainly not a card carrying Klan member but I'll be damned if I'm going to refer to members of the population who steal from me as African-Americans or Mexican-Americans. Respect begets respect. Most Americans forget this and since I'm not PC,I'll speak my mind.

Duhbya: You are correct. Bush Sr. did in fact sign NAFTA into law. It was however Clinton who finalized the deal right after becoming president. I'll admit it-I can't stand California. I think this is one of the most a$$backward states I've ever seen. I make about $70,000 a year. I only spend about $500 or less a month here. The rest goes back to Illinois where it belongs. I use this state like a $3 whore. I figure,if the Mexican'ts can use it for all it's worth and leave,why can't I? I'm only here till my GF gets a divorce anyway. Sandy Eggo is too full of NIMBYs for my tastes. You know this state is f--ked when Iowa has gay marriage before California and you can't enjoy a beer on the beach....

Personally,I blame misguided transplants for changing the political landscape of California. My GF was born & raised here. She loves Sandy Eggo and SoCal. Even she wants to move to Vegas or even back to Wisconsin with me and my family.

SpliffAdamz_ July 21, 2009 @ 9:49 a.m.

Hey pistolpete the only people who have stole in amerikkka is white amerikkkans!!! Was it not white amerikkkan who stole this land from the indians??? I think white amerikkka called it "manifest destiny"!?! Was it not white amerikkkans who used africans for slaves for over 500 years??? Was it not white amerikkka who stole the west coast from the mexicans??? Remember the alamo!!! Is it not white amerikkka who is trying to steal jazz , rock , hip hop , reggae , salsa , wearing dreads , martial arts , dance moves , laying in the sun to get darker , street phrases , ethnic foods , hand shakes , oil , cocaine , opium and marijuana from other countries and cultures!!!! If respect begets respect , when will white amerikkka start respecting other cultures??? Oh i forgot you got a little (k) in you to , so you don't have to respect anyone because that's the mind set of most dumb azz amerikkkan!!!! Only a racist mind set would call other cultures in this racist azz country minorities!!!!

Only a complete fool would call themselves amerikkkan , african amerikkkan or mexican amerikkkan!!! Why would anyone want to associate themself with a bunch of rapist , child molesters , thieves , false educators , and murders!!! Unless you are one of them???

PistolPete July 21, 2009 @ 9:34 p.m.

LMAO! I'd rather not get into a heated debate about race in America. I will however say that the white man is not the only thief living on this land. As for myself,I act as white as a white can. I'm an educated redneck. You will not be hearing me say"no homo" or "my bad" anytime soon. Ebonics belong in the ghetto and any white man attempting to use them around me is in for a rude awakening.

David Dodd July 22, 2009 @ 1 a.m.

"LMAO! I'd rather not get into a heated debate about race in America."

As opposed to getting into a heated debate about race somewhere else?

"Mexico might as well be a 3rd world country."

Pete, do you truly understand the original definition of a 3rd World country?

Everything else you wrote about Mexicans after that is sort of ignorant. Imagine this, Pete: You grow up in Mexico City, an enormously huge place where the population outgrew the infrastructure decades ago. Water, gas, and drainage pipes were old and inadequate.

Toilets flush because of gravity. It isn't magical, the U.S. doesn't have a patent on gravity. Here's the issue: Pipes. In many parts of Mexico, the drainpipes were small in diameter. In order to ensure that the really bad stuff went down the toilet, many Mexicans were taught very young to throw the used toilet paper into the trash rather than the toilet.

While most of the pipes have been replaced with adequate drain tubes, old habits are hard to break. So, think what you want about Mexicans, but please refrain from traveling abroad. You are bound to embarrass yourself and the culture that you represent.

And regarding NAFTA: I said it at the time - it was and continues to be a much better deal for the U.S. than it was for Mexico.

PistolPete July 22, 2009 @ 10:40 p.m.

And by refering to Mexico as a 3rd world country,I'm only half-joking. They're not 3rd world by definition but they got some serious issues down there.

PistolPete July 22, 2009 @ 10:38 p.m.

I didn't mean America as in where I'm sitting. I just meant race in America overall. I won't discuss race in America if I live in Canada. Thank you for enlightening me on the issue with Mexicans throwing their a**wipe in the corner. I did not know that about Mexican plumbing. It's still disgusting but now when I see it,I'll at least know why. Mexico's infrastructure sounds amazingly like Sandy Eggo's....

As for me traveling abroad,thanks,but no thanks. I've lived here for 4 years. I've never been south of the border and for good reason. I don't belong in a culture I know nothing about. Mainly for the corruption though.

David Dodd July 22, 2009 @ 11:31 p.m.

Pete, I've lived here in Baja for seventeen years. It isn't heaven on earth from the perspective of most Americans. But it isn't nearly what your local paper (or even the Reader at times) makes it out to be. I'm typing this from about 12 mniles SE of downtown Tijuana. At home. Obviously, the electricity works, I have internet (it's quite impressive and affordable and fast ADSL), and hot and cold running water.

We have trash service, propane tanks for a gas source, and more than adequate sewer lines. Our supermarkets - which are as numerous as our Northern neighbors', are fully stocked and even offer some groceries from the U.S.

Mexico has her problems, sure. But so does the U.S. The biggest difference I've found so far is this: Mexicans in Mexico do not live beyond their means, because they can't. Many Americans do.

PistolPete July 23, 2009 @ 2:17 a.m.

I'm starting to see your way of life in more open eyes. As a quasi-racist,I've always had a soft spot for the Mexican. I'm on the fence about illegal immigration and most likely always will.

David Dodd July 23, 2009 @ 2:40 a.m.

Pete, I am totally against illegal immigration. However, I know that some of it will happen. Hell, even when Berlin was split in half some people got over. This is what happens.

Point is, once you live outside of the forest, the trees look different. Maybe not in terms of better of worse, but different. The colors are more vivid, the contrast is more stark. Perspective changes.

I'm no less an American than I ever was. Perhaps I'm more centered than I've ever been. And if I'm lucky, I'm at least slightly wiser for the experience.

SpliffAdamz_ July 24, 2009 @ 9:24 a.m.

The whole world is a GHETTO not just where the asian , latinos and africans live!!! GHETTO-a term made up by racist whites to describe where latinos , asian and africans live!!! Ebonics-another racist term made up by racist white people to describe street language that they can't understand!!! I guess whites use ebonics to , since they made up the terms GHETTO and EBONICS???

It least you got the nuts to say you a racist pistolpete , while most creamies like to hide behind their mask and say they not!!!! I guess that's the wisconsin in you!?! I always hear there are a lot of creamies down there that are broke and racist!!! That's a bad combo!! Only the rich have gain from racism , but if you broke and racist what have you gain!!!??? Survey says!!!

Yeah whites aren't the only ones stealing in this country , but they are the only ones who STOLE THIS LAND from the tribes that were here!!! "Small pox in blankets" , "manifest destiny" , "trail of tears" sound familar?!? Ain't that something the amerikkkan government gave the tribes blankets with a disease that they brough over here from the european countries??? Sounds like some kind of bio chemical warfare??? Then they STOLE THE WEST COAST from the mexicans!!! Something about the ALAMO and the BEAR FLAG REVOLT!!! You know that flag that represent CALI!!! Reminding everyone that the WHITES REVOLTED against the MEXICAN GOVERNMENT here in the golden state!!! I'm at Cesar Chavez park if you care to speak on it!!!!

Duhbya July 24, 2009 @ 11:31 a.m.

Spleef - CHILL PILL TIME, dude. "Ghetto" is purportedly of Italian origin, and was used to describe the neighborhoods where Jews resided. They were considered inferior because they were non-Christians. The Jews actually thrived there, because they found it conducive to setting up their own structure without outside interference. We're talking 1500's here, ya follow? In fact, it was largely a European phenomenon until after WWII. Most Americans residing in ghettos were quite proud of their independence and prospered very nicely. The negative connotations have come about more recently, as the hip-hop crowd often uses the term in a more derogatory fashion. (Hate sell, apparently) Maybe you need to "bone up" a bit before your next spoutathon.

Duhbya July 27, 2009 @ 8:50 a.m.

You're making it more clear by the day, Spleef, that the only racist on this forum just happens to be the one using the term so incessantly. That would be YOU! Go figure.

SpliffAdamz_ July 27, 2009 @ 8:39 a.m.

Thanks for admitting that the term "Ghetto" is made up by racist white europeans (italian)!!!! Don't blame hip hop for using a term that racist white europeans use here in amerikkka to describe areas where there latino , asain and africans!!!! They were already using the term ghetto long before hip hop came into the picture in good old amerikkka!!!! But i guess you to much of a chicken s*** to mention that , so you try to blame it on hip hop!??! DORK MAN!!!!

Of course hate sells!!! Just ask the tribes and mexicans on how white amerikkka used hate to sell the idea that these tribes and mexicans are inferior to us amerikkkans and we are going to take over their land whether they like it or not!!!!! Look at how amerikkka sold hate records on iraq!!! By making you dumb azz amerikkkans think saddam had weapons of mass destruction!!! Amerikkka invades iraq , saddam is capture , then killed and the weapons of mass destruction are never found!!!! All because of your amerikkkan government spread rumors of hate and war!!!!

Funny how this guy wants to spell my name differently!??! Sad , but i guess funny!? Please try a little bit harder next time , your like a comedian who keeps messing up the punch line!!!!!

NEXT!!!!

SpliffAdamz_ July 27, 2009 @ 1:11 p.m.

Sorry can't be a racist for pointing out racism!!! That's like saying i'm a child abuser because i point out a parent who abuse their kids!!! When you pull your head out of the toilet make sure you whip all that s*** off your face i can smell it through this computer!!!!!!!!!!

NEXT!!!!!!

Duhbya July 28, 2009 @ 6:38 a.m.

I think I've finally figured this out: this Spleef character is so perplexed, both in "philosophies" and grammatical selections, that even he (she?) got his (her?) internet alias wrong. It's SplittAtomz.