A local promoter of live hip-hop events maintains that San Diego’s dominant promoter has become such a force in the scene that he can freeze out competitors. Because he is afraid of repercussions, the smaller promoter requested anonymity.

He says that Chris Wright, a locally born impresario also known as CROS1, has the firmest grasp on the local scene because he is the principal owner of Armory Survival Gear, a company that serves the local hip-hop culture. The two stores (in P.B. and downtown) sell clothes, DVDs, skateboard decks, and other accessories. The store got a commercial boost last year when the Jabbawockeez break-dance group won $100,000 on MTV’s America’s Best Dance Crew while wearing Armory-created shirts.

Wright started promoting break-dance battles in Chula Vista over ten years ago. He says he first got a break in the local scene by servicing local club DJs with the latest vinyl dance discs.

In 1998, Wright copromoted his first break-dance event in Seattle. Since then, he says his company, Freestyle Sessions, has promoted break-dancing events in 18 countries, including Japan, Spain, Germany, Russia, Poland, Venezuela, and Switzerland.

“Now I pretty much let the promoters [in other countries] use my name. They fly me over to judge the winner and pay me to use [the] Freestyle Sessions [name].”

Wright says promoters tried to use his name and logo for a competition in Spain in 2003. “The break-dancing community is very small. I know people in every country. I could shut it down in an instant. They backed off.”

“I think a lot of people expect a lot of things,” says Wright. “If we put up one or two posters, then the whole store has to be available for everyone else’s stuff. I think you would find that nine out of ten people would say we are open to working with other people.”

Note: After going to press, it was learned that the Pacific Beach Armory store is not owned by Chris Wright.

Comments

jerome July 8, 2009 @ 3:19 p.m.

OK folks cheese= $

what we got is another corrupt san diego scumbag playing on fear an his power for $, boycott dat monkey shut the hater down. please restrain from hatin haters as that promotes more hate just use ur power and boycott em as a consumer; dont fall in his crappolaa ya just will get stink all over ya

remember stir a pot of crap all ya get is stink so BOYCOTT....quietly.....EVERYTHING HE IS INVOLVED IN . missin music and the new beats will be temporary, i promise ya there is no subsitute for time...........

babytron July 8, 2009 @ 3:41 p.m.

this article is really out of wack... it's sad that jealousy gets printed like this...

pacificYO July 8, 2009 @ 3:58 p.m.

this article is inane. slandering a local promoter because TWO POSTERS GOT TAKEN DOWN??? i don't understand how that is monopolizing the game in any way. sounds like a crybaby who never grew up. chances are, the 'unnamed promoter' was probably trying to promote a really lame show with rap artists that most people in SD don't even listen to/have ever heard of anyway.

kat1 July 8, 2009 @ 4 p.m.

Hello,

As a friend of Chris Wright for approximately ten years, I was aware that this article was coming out and have been looking forward to it. However, I was disturbed when I read the article written by Ken Leighton. I became disappointed as the author decided to focus on negativity and on the information provided by a source which "requested anonymity".

Chris Wright's interviewer is blantently biased and it appears to be based upon someone's opinion who didn't have the bravery to let their name be known. Shame on The Reader for letting this go to publish and shame on Ken Leighton for biased, lazy and sloppy journalism.

Mizzle July 8, 2009 @ 4:03 p.m.

As far as I know, anyone can put event flyers and posters in both stores even if it's on the same day as an "Armory" event. In fact the last time I was in one of the Armory stores (PB)there were flyers in there for other events and promotions for other businesses. From Hip Hop events, Pizza, to City Boxing flyers are in the store. If anything that's pretty open to anyone if you have other events being promoted as the same day as Armory events. Conclusively this paragraph below is false.

"“A monster has been created,” says a hip-hop promoter who alleges that Wright/Armory will not allow other events to be promoted in the Armory stores or at any of Wright’s events. “People are afraid to say something because they are getting cheese [from Wright]. DJs from all the clubs are afraid to say something so they can go to his events in Japan.”"

I have no idea what this article is supposed to inform or prove. But everyone has a right to their opinion of course. If you don't like the things he does or the Armory, that's fine you can do so. Don't go to the events, don't go to anything related to it, and don't buy any of the products. You have every right. Just don't put out false accusations.

If you're bitter because he is not supporting one of your events, it's probably because he has his own things to worry about, you can't hate on that. I'm not gonna be mad because NBC won't produce an idea I had for a mini series. They have other things they are working on at the moment. Maybe try a different pitch?

But we all know how this media game works. Taking quotes out of context can really be mis-leading. So if you really want to know what's up, maybe hit up Cros personally. He's not hard to find him when he's in SD.

Cros1/Armory is not the only company/group doing "Hip Hop" events in SD or around the world. There's more than enough room for everyone to do their own thing. Lets support each other and grow. Peace.

bmore July 8, 2009 @ 4:04 p.m.

has anybody been to the shop before? there are fliers to pretty much every event in san diego and out of san diego. there are posters on the walls and front window of peoples events. so whats the problem here?

felt1 July 8, 2009 @ 4:26 p.m.

REALLY? I mean this is funny to me that the "SMALLER" promoter is feeling bully'd buy us. I work along side with CROS1 and within the past few years we have worked with tons of different promoters. We are always open minded and always want to see San Diego's scene grow. And the poster thing... I am PARTNERS with the PB store. if you go there, we have CANES posters, SLEEPING GIANTS EVENTS posted,and many other promotional posters and flyers posted in the section of the store where we keep flyers and posters.. Sometimes these people put there posters all over the shop. The store isn't one big CORKBOARD for people to put there events all over. Come on! We are a clothing store, NOT a flyer stop! I am surprised the READER even published this... Give us news and events... DON'T HATE! Publish something worth reading. GOT A PROBLEM WITH WHAT I'M SAYING? ARE YOU THAT "SMALLER" PROMOTER THAT FEELS THREATENED? GET AT ME. (858) 274-7300 or come to the store at 1539 GARNET AVE. We can talk and discuss this like people instead of writing some BS and not getting facts straight.

SPEN1 July 8, 2009 @ 4:43 p.m.

What the hell?.............

CROS1 a hater??? Since when?...

Cros has been doing his thing in the scene for years and the only people I have EVER heard talk bad about him are the REAL scumbags.

If anyone has seen the FREESTYLE SESSION 11-12 flyers you can see that Cros even lets me put my clothing brand on the characters themselves EVEN THO he has a brand of his own to run. Cros has even been to our page (thebboyspot.com) and taken our banners and added them to his forum WITHOUT US EVEN ASKING. I was chilling once with Cros in the Chicago armory store and they're were flyers for others events all over the place.

I think who ever this "promoter" is, was probably a person who has a bad repor within the community OR was told he couldn't do what he wanted because of certain politics (hiphop related or not)in the scene and now that they had a chance to speak up the first thing they want to do is taint Cros' reputation. I can tell you 100% Cros is a good dude...and not from my experiences alone.....the scene will vouch for him also.

Rock_Hill_Ent July 8, 2009 @ 5:02 p.m.

I would like to start off by saying that this article is bulls--t. I'm a local San Diego promoter and have sold out many shows for 3 years now. Cross One's Armory Clothing Co. and his affiliates have been very supportive and cooperative with leaving promo materials for all of my shows at both locations. Cross One has been a staple of the hip hop community for over 10 years in San Diego and anybody saying otherwise is either stupid and knows nothing about hip hop culture or ignorant and just being a little b--ch.

Serg1 July 8, 2009 @ 5:04 p.m.

Yo Ken Are you kidding me man ! Why don't you put your source out or do some damm research Yo I have been doing events with my man Cros for a minute and at no point has he ever hated on any promoters. You must be smoking man to write such a wack article and this is coming from a promoter who has gone up against Cros and Armory Events in the past and now we work together that cat has Helped out House of Rep so much and now you want to write this man give me a break. I am happy to Say that House of Rep works very close with Armory man so much that I am Armory Familia next Ken before somebody pays you $25 bucks to write a BS article do your research first. Yo you got my number man if you want to talk about this. Serg 1 House of Rep Armory Massive No Sucker Dj's

felt1 July 8, 2009 @ 5:47 p.m.

i'm here in PB... still waiting for a call or for you to come in.... my name is John by the way.

DJPWC July 8, 2009 @ 6:10 p.m.

WOW, Cros1 is the Chief and all who know what up and respect SD hip hop should know this. Cros recognizes real and he's very easy to talk to, he has built w/every style of hip hop in SD, from underground grimey ish to clubby pop ish.. He embraces all thats steps up (unless you are wack, LOL jk). Whoever is talking without saying who they are in this interview is pretty immature and obviously not that successful as a promoter. I've had my lil issues in the Diego scene from time to time, I even understand the "coward anonymous" dude a lil tiny bit, but he/she is way off... Cros always treats me like a man and shakes my hand regardless of "he say she say" type ish. Yeah Cros has his hand in a lot of ish and it may seem like he's monopolized SD hip hop, so what? Better him than any other heads in SD, he has the balance to handle it, he's been around for years and grew with the scene naturally. Get yours and learn from a boss rather than hate.... Be thankful there is such a powerful and thorough representative from SD. BIG UPS CROS1, SALUTE!

RealHipHop July 8, 2009 @ 6:35 p.m.

mikelogik July 8, 2009 @ 8:41 p.m.

I am a local promoter for hip hop/b-boy events. I have been producing events since 2002, in fact your magazine covered an event that i produced back 2006 called Beyond the Schoolyard. I have also been interviewed by the reader on another occasion regarding a b-boy crew called Freakshow.

Cros and I are involved in the same scene, we have crossed paths on several occasions. My experience with cros is nothing like what is being described in this article. I do the same type of events in the same town that Cros lives in. Even back when I first began doing events, cros has always supported myself and my crew.

Cros and the Armory has sponsored several of my events, the Getdown, Beyond the Schoolyard and one that we just did on fourth of July with the Mira Mesa community called Doin it in the Park. They have also provided assistence with tv plugs i have done with KTLA. These ventures have all been business related and have all been professional in conduct.

This is just straight irresponsible journalism. the hip hop scene in san diego is so small that anyone who is in the know would know how false this interview is. Not only would a retraction be mandatory but the very least you guys can do is apologize to cros. at the very least this act will show that the reader can make amends after a mistake.

honestabe July 8, 2009 @ 10:02 p.m.

1."DJs from all the clubs are afraid to say something so they can go to his events in Japan" what the f@#% is this? is cros flying a bunch or random club dj's to Japan? last I checked he only took his close friends with him. This article makes no sence.

2."I know there is some truth to the story as I know promoters who had similar issues there. I do, however, think it is the store owner's prerogative to choose which events are promoted at his or her store.

I think part of the issue here is people in SD need to stop looking for this guy to "put them on". Show some self respect and make a name for yourself or your events through ingenuity and hard work instead of through brown nosing and riding someone else's coattail." True.

1. "A different promoter says his posters were taken down from the two Armory outlets." He runs the shop, he can do whatever he wants. There are plenty of other places to promote.

As far as "hip hop" on planet Earth is concearned Cros is a household name. Seems you can't watch a movie on breaking and not see an ARMORY t-shirt on somebody. He is a big fish(with a bunch of little fish stuck to his side feeding off his scraps), a fat cat, he is good at what he does; b-boy events, retail, dj, distrobution, graf, design, promo, networking, breaking, judo, ect. He can say, have, and do whatever he wants.

Is he approachable? Did he get to where he's at without stepping on some toes? Would I change places with him? Does he trust the people around him? They say "it's lonely at the top" is that true? Can he blackball somebodys hip hop event or club night? Does anybody ever stand up to him when he "bullies" them? What is the ARMORY? Does he own all the stores? What happened to the guys that opened the original downtown ARMORY store before CROS, D, or FELT were ever in the picture. That would have made for a good article.

Hate him or love him he isnt going anywhere and he isnt hard to find. If you really want to know what he's like go up and introduce yourself to him. Shake his hand. Say hi. Tell him who you are and what you do. Formulate your own opinion. Don't listen to what bad reporter #1 and no spine snitch #2 say.

rikkdogg420 July 8, 2009 @ 6:47 p.m.

I knew there was a reason I stopped reading The Reader years ago. It was because of biased, base-less "journalism" like this crap. Cros1 and the Armory have done more for SD hip hop than almost any other crew in SD, all you have to do is walk into one of their stores to find fliers for every hip hop event in SD whether it's put on by the Armory crew or not. Whoever this "smaller promoter" is, sounds like they can't find their niche or they can't get no shine and instead of owning up to being wack they blame it on someone successful. Shame on the Reader and double shame on Ken Leighton for supporting such a lame bulls*** beef and dinging the name of someone who has done a lot for the community and the scene here in San Diego and is generally a nice guy. Super wack guys, how about a fact check?

Ricky Wrecks

solareclipseauto July 8, 2009 @ 10:14 p.m.

wow...how can the reader even publish this bulls***, you got info from someone that wants to be anonymous....way to wright a story. i was even thinking about advertising with the reader for my shop but you guys just lost a reader and a potential advertiser in my shop

guerre82 July 8, 2009 @ 10:43 p.m.

When I read this, I wasn't too sure what the whole point of this article was trying to prove either. And having a quote from a source that was labeled as a "hip hop promoter" doesn't prove to be a valid source as well.

Articles like these give journalists a bad reputation where sources won't even trust anyone else in the future because of that one journalist who decides to treat their sources like this.

Thanks for being one of those guys Ken...

-Cheryl G.

bjonez July 8, 2009 @ 10:51 p.m.

Under the avalanche of truth telling that is this comments section lies Ken, who just established himself as the most incompetent journalist in the San Diego music and culture scene.

MikeCzech July 9, 2009 @ 8:25 a.m.

Shout out to all the Armory Crew...

Attn; Unnamed "promoter" - it's usually better to work WITH the successful people in your community than to work against them.

Attn: Ken Leighton - UPS is hiring.

felt1 July 9, 2009 @ 9:59 a.m.

These are pictures from our PB location and it seems to me we have other promoters have space in the store that are not Armory related. I don't think ken has ever been to one of our locations... i don't even think "Smaller Promoter" has ever been to one of our stores.

I called the editor of the READER yesterday wanting to talk about this whole thing and i still haven't gotten a reply. The interview was supposed to be about Cros but ends up bashing both Cros and the Armory stores. I am part owner of the PB location along with my business partner. Me and Cros work together with the clothing and the events but he doesn't own the PB store. I feel there is no right for "KEN" to bring up the PB location at all without getting approval from me or my partner. Since i am getting no response from the READER, come down to the store and check it out for yourself. For everyone supporting us against this bad reporting, thank you.

reetah July 9, 2009 @ 10:05 a.m.

I am apart of the Armory Family, Cros1 is one of the greatest San Diegans around. He well represents the San Diego Hip Hop Scene, Freestyle Session, B-Boys, B-Girls and especially The Armory, etc.

Thank you Reader, Blurt and this Freaking Ken person for all the publicity, BUT get your FACTS RIGHT AND DO YOUR REASERCH BEFORE YOU PUT OUT ARTICLES.

jimmypowers July 9, 2009 @ 10:53 a.m.

WOW.......as a promoter.....I can say that what CROS 1 does for this city is leaps and bounds on what any other promoter could even come close to doing for the SD scene. I haven't worked directly with CROS, but I know of his work ethic and proficiency of his product (events). all ass kissing aside, this is a business and my man CROS1 is the Big Fish actually moving forward, and thinking of new ideas, and not just hosting the same local showcases over, and over, and over.....

Give respect when it is due, and just because someone is more succesful in there business ventures than you are doesn't make them an bully....it makes them more organized, proficient and profitable.

If you can't compete, don't sign up for the race...

Stay Up Cros...people see what you do, you already know that.

Jimmy Powers

Ken Leighton July 9, 2009 @ 12:31 p.m.

Nobody said Cros was a hater. Two different promoters simply said that he was by far the biggest hip hop/break dance/MC dude in SD and that he was not giving them as much in-store love as they wanted. Cros was forwarded all his quotes before the article went to press for his approval. That included: "I think a lot of people expect a lot of things. If we put up one or two posters, then the whole store has to be available for everyone else's stuff. I think you would find that nine times out of ten people would say we are open to working with other people." He said it and he approved it. To the guy who said he stopped reading the Reader two years ago, I guess that means you started again?

felt1 July 9, 2009 @ 1:10 p.m.

Ken... PLease give me a call because you are talking about the stores here and i own one of the stores. wasn't this article about CROS not the Armory. Your EDITOR has my number. He called me earlier to straighten things out and i hope you will too.

felt1 July 9, 2009 @ 1:24 p.m.

Oh yeah ken, when people wre talking about haters, they were talking about the person who wrote the story too.

mikefresh July 9, 2009 @ 1:53 p.m.

Hey Ken, why are you backpedaling now?:

"Two different promoters simply said that he was by far the biggest hip hop/break dance/MC dude in SD and that he was not giving them as much in-store love as they wanted"

that obviously sounds a lot softer than the way you originally did the story...

and this part?:

"Cros was forwarded all his quotes before the article went to press for his approval. That included: "I think a lot of people expect a lot of things. If we put up one or two posters, then the whole store has to be available for everyone else's stuff. I think you would find that nine times out of ten people would say we are open to working with other people." He said it and he approved it."

that doesn't make up for the way you told the story, and the way that your two "unamed sources" said what THEY said, and you told the story the way YOU told it. no credibility with those unamed sources saying what they did. for all we know, you made that stuff up.

TRUE July 9, 2009 @ 1:56 p.m.

ken,jerome(619.213.3803) and micro promoter.. you just Roasted yourself!

and to the micro promoter.. The Hip Hop Community in S.D. is small and tight knit.. It's just a matter of time before you are your camp are exposed.

stayTrue

felt1 July 9, 2009 @ 2:24 p.m.

I posted right after ken did asking him to reach out to me and hear me out... still no response. That says much about Ken. It's begining to sound fishy...

felt1 July 9, 2009 @ 3:49 p.m.

I spoke to one of the editors today and thank you for talking to me. Ken, i still want to share some words with you. And Jerome, who are you to say what you said?

"OK folks cheese= $

what we got is another corrupt san diego scumbag playing on fear an his power for $, boycott dat monkey shut the hater down."

Calling people "scumbags" and "monkey" sounds like hate to me. how much do you know about Cros and the Armory? Power for money? How about all the fundraisers we have put on? How about all the sponsored events we took part in?

then you say...

"please restrain from hatin haters as that promotes more hate just use ur power and boycott em as a consumer; dont fall in his crappolaa ya just will get stink all over ya"

It looks like you're the biggest hater of them all. boycott em? don't fall in his crappolaa? remember, Armory isn't just Cros. It's a team that works together at all angles. One thing for certian, there are no haters within our camp. We work too hard to have time to hate.

"BOYCOTT....quietly.....EVERYTHING HE IS INVOLVED IN"

Why boycott quietly? Scared to make some noise? if you boycott everything that WE are involved with, San Diego would be pretty stale since WE work with everyone we can to make the scene in San Diego.

The same message goes out to you that i sent Ken (which i haven't heard from still)come down to PB and we can talk monkeys and scumbags and quiet boycotts!

1539 Garnet Ave. San Diego, CA 92109 (Next to Access Music)

DjDemon July 9, 2009 @ 7:08 p.m.

This is Demon with Snipe Marketing. I've been doing street marketing in San Diego since 1998. Not once have I went to an Armory shop and got denied approval to leave fliers or hang posters. Cros has helped me on many occasions with sending out email blasts informing people of shows going on in SD free of charge. Some of the shows would even be on a competing night with one of his events. Why would he waste his time doing that if he wasn't supporting his city? This is the wackest article I've read in awhile. Doesn't surprise me though. Ken get at me. I got beef with Puffy.

David Dodd July 9, 2009 @ 8:38 p.m.

"As a matter of fact I always wanted to start my own publication maybe this will give me the fuel to actually get up and do it."

Wow, what a coincidence! I've always wanted to sell Cadillacs. Seems like the perfect climate for both.

Good luck with that publication. Be sure and include writers that evoke controversy. Hire writers that make people mad as hell. Hire someone who will write articles that otherwise wouldn't draw much interest. Model your publication after The Reader, and in a few years it might even start to show a profit...

CROS1 July 9, 2009 @ 5:57 p.m.

Thanks Ken for the lesson in Journalism next time I will make sure to do my back tracking on whoever is doing the journalism next time. Also I will make sure to get something in writing before I even start to waste my time talking about all the things Ive done and get the false promises in writing HAHA. Remember people its all about living and learning and just when I thought I knew alot about things at the tender age of 34 some bulls like this happened. F it though. Lesson learned. Good job on raising a few eyebrows though Im assuming thats what it was for.

To the Reader. Its good to know that your publication will send someone out to speak to me and waste an hour of my time in hopes that something positive will come of it but then to come read your publication and find out it was just a smoke screen to some drama. Good job. You know Ive actually been dumb enough to spend money with you guys. Thanks for giving me the extra incentive not to spend any money with you guys again. As a matter of fact I always wanted to start my own publication maybe this will give me the fuel to actually get up and do it.

To Anonymous Promoter guy. You know if there was really a big gripe probably venting on a site like AccessHipHop.com, FreestyleSession.com or some other Hip Hop media might have actually served you much better. BUt damn you must got alot of pull to get the Reader behind you like that. You should have used that pull to get a little light on what your doing since its obvious you feel like you deserve the extra attention. Hopefully you got the vindication you were looking for.

Anyways thanks for everything Im done with this topic now and I think everyone else should to.

peace CROS1

amazingweb July 9, 2009 @ 10:15 p.m.

to Cros1

i really dont see where this article makes you look bad, yes it does have these phantom people speaking negatively about the way you handle your business. but, you make a very valid point about giving away the space in the store. Its a shame that the reporter pulled a 180 on what the article was going to be about. At the same time I dont think the article makes you look bad at all. I do think you need a publicist, however, as your response on the comments page here makes you sound unprofessional and somewhat immature. I deeply respect all your accomplishments in the hip hop community and i dont think youre doing anything wrong. peace

CROS1 July 10, 2009 @ 11:21 a.m.

Hey Amazing Web all good Im sure you have your views on the whole thing but for me if speaking my mind and letting people know exactly how I feel is unprofessional then I guess it is what it is. And as far as refriedgringo is concerned your funny you go and sell your cadillac's I'm sure theres a great market for those in SD.

LIke I said this article was made to raise eyebrows Im sure its gotten more comments then most in this section so kudo's for the good job.

When you want to holler at us for a real story you know where to find us. Til then we'll continue to bring San Diego the realness.

peace CROS1

amazingweb July 10, 2009 @ 6:25 p.m.

to cros1, you are totaly justified in feeling the way you feel and in what you said. I just think that it could have been put a little bit more professionally, especially because of your status in the hip hop community and your position overall. again, youre absolutely right to feel how you do. And wow that youtube thing of ken sure makes him look not so good. Peace 1 love

TBone July 16, 2009 @ 2:46 p.m.

I dont really see what the problem is here. So this guy is dominating the SD scene. So be it. why is he not embracing it? He runs sh*t with an iron fist I get it.

What I dont get is why he came on here whining like a little girl about this article thats basically giving him free pub. It just makes him look like a crybaby. He should be like, "Yea I run this! What!" Or better yet, be the bigger man and just let it ride. Instead, he comes on here with a thinly vieled threat to the Reader to "start his own publication"..What a joke. I can see now how some other people with similar business interests may not get along with this guy.

Also it seems to me, most of the other cats on here whining about how he is such a stand up guy, are affliates and strap-hangers of cros who are, or at one point were on the payroll. Maybe if you ride his jock a little harder he'll give you a slice of the pie or um "Cheese"...Uh then again maybe not.

rikkdogg420 July 17, 2009 @ 7:19 p.m.

Hahahahah, The Reader is totally the place to go if you want to know about emo, punk, indie rock music for guys that wear their sisters pants and tie bandannas around their wrists. It has never given any love to the thriving hip hop community in this city. From the comments on this article it's obvious that The Reader and it's "journalists" are uninformed and should probably stick to writing about cover bands and the "casino" circuit.