How long had Waters been parking behind the Denny’s before the security guard banged on his door? Based on a hazy recollection of Heritage Security’s report, Bernard thought it had been “several hours,” a softening of the guard’s four hours. Waters, however, had shown me receipts that put him at the Ralphs store a half mile away on Sports Arena Boulevard less than 45 minutes before the guard began banging on his door.

“Yes, Waters told me that,” says Bernard, who believes the specific amount of time is not relevant. State law, he says, permits “property owners to have vehicles removed after as little as five minutes.” Bernard thinks that on the night of the Waters incident, the security company was “just being very strict with motor homes.” Signs in the parking lot proclaim, “Unauthorized or improperly parked vehicles will be impounded 24 hours a day at owner’s risk and expense.”

Is Heritage Security satisfied with its guard’s treatment of Waters? I call the company. A woman gives me the voice mail of the company’s president. “He’s the one who will want to speak with you,” she says. For starters, I leave one question: How long do you understand Waters to have been in the parking lot behind the Denny’s? After several hours and no response, I call back and ask for the president. “He went home for the weekend,” the woman tells me. What about my message? “Oh, he calls back if he’s interested.”

Comments

MURPHYJUNK July 9, 2009 @ 8:44 a.m.

Clark should have went back inside his vehicle since they can not tow an occupied vehicle.

let them call the real police and let them sort it out.

these security companies and towing companies have been scamming san diego residents for far too long.

some examples

pellis July 10, 2009 @ 8:44 a.m.

I hope he keeps picketing. If Denny's won't stand up to their parking lot security, they deserve to lose money.

Ponzi July 10, 2009 @ 11:05 a.m.

It’s a sleazy but common practice that security guards get kick backs from towing companies.

dclement7 July 12, 2009 @ 10:38 a.m.

SHAME ON HERITAGE SECURITY......I read with DISGUST their poor treatment of Clark Walter's and that PUNK of a Security Guard who had Mr. Walter's RV (Home) towed. Whatever happened to showing our elders a bit of respect? Their security guard used poor judgment and its telling that Heritage Security has not stepped forward to remedy the situation. Now Heritage Security is getting the BAD PRESS that you deserve and I will do more to further the message.

I tried to contact Heritage Security using the Human Resources contact information provided on their website. Its a bad link which they probably have shut down, so I will call them on Monday.

MURPHYJUNK July 14, 2009 @ 10:52 a.m.

here is the email address for the company

hr@heritagesecurity.com

anyone that is concerened about this should flood them with emails

garagehero Nov. 3, 2009 @ 11:23 p.m.

Does anyone have the phone number for that Dennys? I have a few choice words for that lamebrain of a manager!!!

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 3, 2009 @ 11:37 p.m.

By garagehero