San Diego County is putting the brakes on spur-of-the-moment marriages. Beginning Monday, July 6, marriage licenses and civil ceremonies will be offered by appointment only.

“The walk-in marriage services are being discontinued due to budgetary shortfalls and staff reductions,” says David Butler, county assessor/recorder/clerk. Butler explains that marriage-license applications have been on the rise during recent years. Offering marriage services by appointment only will help the department to handle the increased workload with the limited resources available.

Impromptu marriage services have been popular with San Diegans. According to Butler, “We had walk-in customers every day.”

Budget constraints will also limit the county’s branch office locations. Beginning July 6, the Chula Vista and Kearny Mesa offices of the assessor/recorder/county clerk will be closed to the public. Those wishing to tie the knot will have to make an appointment at the downtown or San Marcos office.

“The only option [for same-day nuptials] in this county will be if a qualified notary is available on the same day,” says Butler. “Qualified notaries are commissioned by our office to issue marriage licenses and perform ceremonies but are not county employees.”

Comments

MG July 3, 2009 @ 6:56 a.m.

Only if we could do the same with the acquisition of firearms in most of this contry. Make firearms at least as difficult to obtain as a drivers license or marriage license! That way the shotgun could catch up to the wedding.

GirlWSlingshot Aug. 29, 2009 @ 2:09 p.m.

Actually, MG, there is a ten day waiting period for legally purchasing a firearm in the state of California.

"All firearms purchases and transfers, including private party transactions and sales at gun shows, must be made through a licensed dealer under the Dealer Record of Sale (DROS) process. California imposes a 10-day waiting period before a firearm can be released to a buyer or transferee."

-Per the Attorney General's website http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php

SDaniels Aug. 29, 2009 @ 2:43 p.m.

Hey, what is my little cuz doing on the Reader site?!

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 29, 2009 @ 5:49 p.m.

W0w, they shortened up the waiting period for firearmss-it used to be 15 days, for hand guns, but rifles could be purchased without going through the waiting period.

I am now going to go out and buy me a 9, with an ulta hi capcity mag!

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 29, 2009 @ 10:15 p.m.

Watch out, it's "ShootPuppy619!" :)

By SDaniels

LOL...no-not me.

I'm a hardcore 2nd Amendment supporter, but I own no firearms.

I did own one many, many years ago, but it was stolen. I only used it for sport shooting, which was rare.

David Dodd Aug. 29, 2009 @ 11:22 p.m.

"I only used it for sport shooting, which was rare."

Dude. I totally hope that you eat all sports that you shoot O_o

SDaniels Aug. 30, 2009 @ 12:33 a.m.

Gringo, have you ever eaten iguana stew?

antigeekess Aug. 30, 2009 @ 12:43 a.m.

"Tastes like chicken! Tastes JUST LIKE CHICKEN!!!"

-- Bobcat Goldthwait

SDaniels Aug. 30, 2009 @ 12:47 a.m.

Hey, have you ever had bobcat stew, AG?

antigeekess Aug. 30, 2009 @ 1 a.m.

Nooooooo! I would never eat a kitty.

I've never even had iguana. I don't know if I even wanna.

That was very somebody, but I'm not quite sure who. Shel Silverstein, maybe? Ogden Nash? Dr. Seuss? I can't remember.

SDaniels Aug. 30, 2009 @ 1:18 a.m.

I think it was Williams, in a rare exact rhyme. You've now proven that you can indeed work with any material :)

David Dodd Aug. 30, 2009 @ 2:02 a.m.

I've never eaten iguana. I would try it though. Why not? I consider myself a taste-tester for the civilized world ;)

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 30, 2009 @ 10:07 a.m.

I've never eaten iguana.

By refriedgringo

Tastes like chicken :)

antigeekess Aug. 30, 2009 @ 11:52 a.m.

"I consider myself a taste-tester for the civilized world ;)"

Maybe you can get this guy's job, when he finally keels over of that imminent massive myocardial infarction:

What's really great, though? The Wikipedia page lists everything he's consumed in each episode:

The episode on Texas almost killed me.

SDaniels Aug. 30, 2009 @ 12:10 p.m.

That guy Zimmern is irritating--especially when he's clucking self-importantly over a plate of bug larvae. I always hope he's going to end up in a cannibal's stew pot, or get that bad fugu. Yes, I think we'd rather see Gringo's Guide to A Taste of Mexico. He could team up with Chef Rick Bayless on that mole recipe we are all waiting for...:)

antigeekess Aug. 30, 2009 @ 12:37 p.m.

"That guy Zimmern is irritating--especially when he's clucking self-importantly over a plate of bug larvae. I always hope he's going to end up in a cannibal's stew pot, or get that bad fugu."

LOL. You just have to enjoy punks, Daniels. I do.

"Yes, I think we'd rather see Gringo's Guide to A Taste of Mexico."

That would be good. It could focus on a new alcoholic base ingredient every week, and the many ways it can be prepared to accompany the Mexican version of nouvelle cuisine.
(Picture a bathtub margarita, next to a tiny plate of food.)

Ole Mole! ;)