According to the County of San Diego Health and Human Services Agency, the number of cases of the H1N1 virus is on the rise. Last week, the county released news that four people who had passed away later tested positive for the flu formerly known as Swine. The four new cases put the total number, countywide, to 61 known cases of H1N1.

Those deceased include three males, aged 39, 45, and 56, and a 37-year-old female. Of the four, two had "underlying" medical conditions.

"Fifty-four individuals were San Diego County residents while the other seven were nonresidents visiting our community at the time of their death," read the press release. "San Diego County has had 771 hospitalized cases of H1N1 to date."

The H1N1 virus is spread through coughs and sneezes like other seasonal flu viruses. In June of 2009, a month after San Diego County health officials detected the first case here, the World Health Organization declared the virus a worldwide pandemic. The main difference between the flu and the H1N1 strain is most people don't have a strong enough immunity system to fight the new virus.

The press release went on to say that the H1N1 vaccine is now available to all San Diego County residents through their primary health-care providers. And for those without health insurance, or short of the money needed to visit their primary physician, the vaccines are available at one of the county's seven "vaccination sites" or at local community health centers.

So far, through December 18, more than 985,000 doses of the H1N1 Flu Vaccine have been filled in San Diego County.

To find out more about the H1N1 flu virus in San Diego County, or to find out information about vaccinations, visit the county website: sdcounty.ca.gov/Portal/News/swineflu.html.

Comments

PistolPete Dec. 29, 2009 @ 4:40 p.m.

So what you're reporting is that I was right. This H1N1/Swine Flu story is just a scare tactic fueled to sell more papers. 61 known cases of the flu in 8 months? That's less than 10 a month or 1 every 4-5 days. Methinks this "pandemic" is a bunch of bulls***.

Chrissy Dec. 30, 2009 @ 1:05 p.m.

any stats on how many of the 61 were vaccinated?

Dorian Hargrove Dec. 31, 2009 @ 8:02 a.m.

Good question, Chrissy. I'll give the county a call and find out. Thanks.

SDaniels Jan. 5, 2010 @ 5:28 p.m.

Would you like to tell us for the fiftieth time what you really think about this issue, Pete? :)

Dorian, if there were only 61 known cases, I would be one of the unknown, as I didn't bother to go to my doctor to get swabbed. My little cousin who gave it to me was swabbed, positive--so she'd be one of the known cases in SD county. She had not been vaccinated, but vaccine was not available at the time, at least in her area (Fallbrook, around September). I've known at least five other people who have had the H1N1 virus for sure--it seems to me it is as common as has been reported, and that it is the severity of the flu that is perhaps exaggerated. I've had far worse flues.

PistolPete Jan. 5, 2010 @ 8:09 p.m.

Yes manindamirror, I read that correct the first time. 61 known deaths in SD County. That's nowhere near a pandemic. Bottom line? This whole swinflu/H1N1 story is just another media ruse to keep our minds off how bad the politicians are reaming us.

When this story first hit, the media was on it like white on rice. It's bulls***. The Bubonic and Black plagues were FAR worse than what this has turned out to be. I envisioned mass bodies in the streets in a matter of months when this lie was first reported. Now I'm ashamed of myself for even thinking that and falling for it.

The swineflu IS the birdflu. The very same birdflu the media mass marketed years ago...

PistolPete Jan. 5, 2010 @ 8:10 p.m.

And welcome back SD. I hope you had a good Christmas and New Years.

SDaniels Jan. 5, 2010 @ 9:26 p.m.

Oopsy. I'm the one who read it wrong as "61 cases." Anyway, I don't see that the media is hyping it in a way that anyone moderately intelligent isn't going to sniff, then go google the NIH or something.

So back atcher, Petester. Let your club spare a seal for me, in the spirit of the season ;)

PistolPete Jan. 5, 2010 @ 10:37 p.m.

LULZ! I'm no seal hater. In fact, I find the seals to be pretty adorable. I just seperate my feelings regarding them in my life to the feelings regarding them in La Jolla. Like I said, I'm not anti-seal. I'm pro-human. ;-D