Experimental electric-soul songsmiths Children of Nova came together in summer 2007, featuring members of Atlas of Id and Temperature Delete. After releasing a three-song EP, they bought a van and spent much of 2008 touring the West Coast.

Their debut full-length, The Complexity of Light — recorded at SCM Studios with Brian Grider (Lower Definition, Fight Fair) — is a sci-fi concept album that shows off the band’s experimental side with lofty themes, ambitious production, and a wide range of instrumentation. According to percussionist-singer Teo, “The story, although sci-fi in nature, parallels our world and the lives of the band members in many ways. I’ve always liked taking things we can all relate to and applying them to a different time and place in the universe.”

The album’s first single, “Arcaedion,” was a Local 94/9 Recommended Pick of the Month, and the band was asked to perform at one of X1FM’s Open Door sessions. In September 2009, Children of Nova won Best Hard Rock at the San Diego Music Awards. They appear Sunday, December 27, at the Casbah.

HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOUR MUSIC?

Pozzi: “Fast then slow, loud then quiet, crazy then calm.”

Mario: “Melodic-effected guitars, with powerful drums and soaring vocals.”

Teo: “A combination of beautiful, epic landscapes, and pure classic rock.”

Nick: “Progressive, epic, soul rock.”

Colin: “Roller-coaster rock.”

FAVORITE CDs?

Pozzi:

1) Wax on Radio, Exposition. “One of the best-flowing albums that nobody knows about.”

2) La Dispute, Somewhere at the Bottom of the River Between Vega and Altair. “The lyrics are incredible, and the CD is completely unpredictable.”

3) Joanna Newsom, The Milk-Eyed Mender. “Soothing and relaxing.”

4) The Gaslight Anthem, The ’59 Sound. “Honest rock.”

Mario:

1) Mastodon, Crack the Skye. “Sometimes you just need to rock out.”

2) Muse, The Resistance. “Bad ass.”

3) Herbie Hancock, Speak Like a Child. “Really good jazz to chill out to.”

Teo:

1) Dredg, The Pariah, the Parrot, the Delusion. “Their latest release is nothing short of a masterpiece.”

2) Björk, Vespertine. “This always finds its way back into my rotation.”

3) Portugal. The Man, The Satanic Satanist. “A really great sound, reminiscent of CCR or Skynyrd.”

4) Rush, 2112. “This album sets the standard for epic, nerdy, trippy sci-fi rock.”

Nick:

1) Dethklok, Dethalbum II. “Awesome metal music that doesn’t take itself too seriously.”

2) Bat for Lashes, Two Suns. “Such a soothing voice.”

3) The Dear Hunter, Act III: Life and Death. “Well composed, and very theatrical.”

Colin:

1) The Dirty Projectors, Bitte Orca. “The harmonies are amazing, with great time changes.”

2) Ours, Distorted Lullabies. “Simple chord progressions, but with vocals it gets taken to levels beyond, and the simplicity works.”

3) Russian Circles, Geneva. “Dynamic, cinematic, and their recordings are always organic sounding.”

4) Tegan and Sara, Sainthood. “They are great at writing honest, emotion-filled songs.”

5) Wu-Tang Clan, Forever. “From my favorite era of hip-hop.”

EVER SEE A GHOST OR UFO?

Pozzi: “Ghost, nope. UFO, yep.”

Mario: “I’m pretty sure I saw a UFO once. It was after band practice, and we all saw these things flying in the air, and out of nowhere they started darting around and then disappeared.”

Teo: “No ghosts, but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen objects in the sky that were unidentified.”

Nick: “I’ve seen floating orbs over the ocean.”

Colin: “Ghostface Killah.”

IDEAL SUPERPOWER?

Mario: “The power to have every power. I would be all-powerful.”

Nick: “Having worked in a comic shop, I’ve had plenty of time to think about this: Flight.”

NAME A MOVIE YOU CAN’T SIT THROUGH.

Pozzi: “I’ve attempted to watch Avalon numerous times, and I always fall asleep.”

Mario: “I block them from my memory.”

Teo: “Very Bad Things simply shouldn’t have happened.”

Nick: “I walked out an hour into the third Pirates of the Caribbean movie.”

Colin: “The Lake House. Because it has Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves.”

WORST CHRISTMAS GIFT?

Pozzi: “I got a sports almanac one time. Useless.”

Mario: “I got this knit sweater from my aunt that looked like something even Urkel wouldn’t wear.”

Teo: “I got dumped on Christmas once.”

Nick: “Extra-large fleece sweatshirt from Kohl’s. What part of that doesn’t suck?”

Colin: “A turtleneck shirt. Which doesn’t look good with laser-beam backgrounds.”

Comments

Jay Allen Sanford Dec. 16, 2009 @ 5:18 p.m.

Outtakes:

YOUR BEST PICK-UP LINE? Pozzi: “Hi, I’m Pozzi.” Teo: “Hi, I’m in a band.” Mario: “It’s more of a look than a line.”

ANY FEARS OR PHOBIAS? Pozzi: “Zemmiphobia, an abnormal and persistent fear of the great mole rat.” Mario: “Spiders.” Teo: “Losing my voice. And snails.” Nick: “Not being good enough.” Colin: “Snakes.”

FIRST PET? Pozzi: “A dog named Tag.” Mario: “A German Sheppard named Slimer, like the ghost from Ghostbusters.” Teo: “A big sheep dog named Abby.” Nick: “A white west highland terrier named Sasha.” Colin: “Two English setters, Lady and Casey.”

MOST HATED TV COMMERCIAL? Pozzi: “Anything related to Tyler Perry promoting his horrible shows.” Mario: “All those commercials for date chat lines.” Teo: “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up.”

PSYCHICS – REAL OR FAKE? Pozzi: “Real.” Mario: “Probably real.” Teo: “Truly fake.” Nick: “Fake.”

aerynbelden Dec. 17, 2009 @ 11:35 a.m.

These guys are great!! Pozzi, you rock!! Can't wait to see their show! :)

GalyaK Dec. 17, 2009 @ 11:45 a.m.

I love those guys, they are amazing! Great, small local band that one day will be huge, I don't doubt that! Saw them at 710 this summer, they rocked that place!

mtdan Dec. 17, 2009 @ 12:21 p.m.

It's awesome to see these continue to grow! Easily one of my top 5 bands of the year! Hopefully they will get the exposure they deserve... their sound can easily take off. It's like nothing else. -Dan

rkallmeyer Dec. 17, 2009 @ 12:28 p.m.

I've seen these guys destroy minds at just about every venue in san diego. from house of blues to a house party in IB, and i've loved them every time. amazing music writers, performers and super easy to talk to - i love children of nova and hope they get the success they deserve.

SlashT Dec. 17, 2009 @ 12:37 p.m.

I <3 children of nova! I've seen them grow from Temperature Delete to the powerhouse they are now!

d1ckrichard Dec. 17, 2009 @ 1:04 p.m.

EVERYONE SHOULD PICK UP THEIR EP!!!!!It's the tits ! Check em out at The Casbah too for a free show at the end of the month!! It's going to be rocktastic!

bradfilip Dec. 17, 2009 @ 1:11 p.m.

Sometimes at night i wish i can be in the band. But then i wake up and realize colin is crazy and i cant play what he plays

sjackson77 Dec. 17, 2009 @ 2:11 p.m.

these guyz are kewl to the max! i show all my friends and they all love it. go to SOMA again!! they even signed my cd haha. i hope they get famous.

FIRESinFRANcE Dec. 17, 2009 @ 4:09 p.m.

THE SHOWS ARE INSANE! GET TO A SHOW if you havent yet!

lpozzi Dec. 17, 2009 @ 4:36 p.m.

These guys are so down to earth! I have seen them twice and can't wait to see another show. Every show they took the time to talk to the fans. They have a different sound that is needed in the music world. Loved the article! Great to learn more about them...made me laugh! thanks guys! Lena

kidsofchevynova Dec. 17, 2009 @ 4:59 p.m.

This is the best thing that has happened to the music industry since opeth's release of blackwater park. These guys need to be picked up with a record deal becasue they are foaming at the mouth with talent.

Best of Luck Children of Nova!

nastynate Dec. 17, 2009 @ 5:03 p.m.

I enjoy the energetic aura these gentlemen resonate.

Love, love, love going to their shows! They fahkin' rawk wicked hahd, guy! And to all the groupies who feel underappreciated and perhaps...neglected, holla at me. I can't play any instruments, but I'm aesthetically pleasing.

nastynate Dec. 17, 2009 @ 5:05 p.m.

And sometimes Colin lets me carry around his drumsticks.

Ttunes Dec. 17, 2009 @ 8:04 p.m.

Love this band. I think that The Complexity Of Light is a work of art. I'm looking forward to the next album and maybe some shows in the NY/NJ area in the near future

Jay Allen Sanford Dec. 18, 2009 @ 1:32 a.m.

RE #13 "I'm aesthetically pleasing" --- that's a better pickup line than offered by any of the band members!! I'm stealing that one for myself ----

adamrbissing Dec. 18, 2009 @ 10:14 a.m.

Truly unique, from the soul,deep ever-evolving Rock for the mind and the body; "Complexity of Light" is one of my favorite cd's of all time, and the band is so enthralling to watch- a must have album from a must see band!

mwhipple Dec. 19, 2009 @ 3:58 p.m.

These guys are so professional and talented, they are going far....

Mandalaycross Dec. 19, 2009 @ 8:18 p.m.

Truly underrated talent here. Such a different sound please don't brush this band off like the million others you run into online, this band will change your life! Rock on guys

Mdelany11 Dec. 19, 2009 @ 8:27 p.m.

I can't believe I've never heard of these guys! I'm so glad the reader did this article! Some really amazing music here

TREYDEEZZIE Dec. 21, 2009 @ 8:15 p.m.

Pozzi's rock poses are ROCKIN. Mario's sweat beads make me sweat... oooohhmmmm... Nick's thrashing no-look leads are fricken wicked ridonkulous. Teo's falcettos are bonerific, for guys AND gals.. And, last but not least, Colin is THE best live drummer I've ever seen, though, he'll never admit it. Obviously, I just came in my pants. I hope you did too. Merry Christmas!

hollyryan Dec. 23, 2009 @ 9:54 p.m.

epic article. these guys are wonderful people and amazing musicians. pass it on...