Less than ten days before the August 29 date for the enforcement of new pedicab regulations, some pedicab drivers are already catching the eye of law enforcement officers.

Late Thursday night, August 20, just after 11:00 p.m., about six pedicab drivers waiting for passengers on the corner of Sixth Avenue and L Street were approached by a pair of police on bicycles. The police officers stopped to ask for identification and ended up writing citations.

“I’ve never seen so many pedicabs get ticketed all at once,” said a witness. “I thought they were already getting in trouble for breaking one of the new rules the city council just passed.”

When asked if the drivers were getting ticketed for not having insurance or proper ID, the police officer writing the ticket responded, “No. They’re getting a ticket for parking in a red zone.” The officer pointed out that he was familiar with the drivers and he knows that they have valid pedicab permits. However, they are not allowed to wait for passengers while parked in a restricted zone.

The pedicab drivers, who all appeared to be foreigners, declined to comment on their citations. Instead, one driver countered with his own question and asked, “Do you want a ride?”

Comments

PistolPete Aug. 23, 2009 @ 9:52 p.m.

Way to fight crime Sandy Eggo! :-D I'm embarrassed to tell people I live here.

antigeekess Aug. 23, 2009 @ 10:23 p.m.

So the bicycle cops were getting all dominant on the pedicab nerds?

Sounds like an episode of Reno 911. Were the bicycle cops wearing little teeny shorts?

PistolPete Aug. 23, 2009 @ 10:56 p.m.

LMAO!! I was thinking the same thing but figured if I said something even remotely homophobic,I'd have all of Hillcrest on here admonishing me...LMAO! Anti? You really should check out Denis Leary's"Lock'n'Load" if you haven't already. Funny stuff about bike cops on there.

kwete Aug. 24, 2009 @ 12:53 a.m.

I work in downtown. These people are pests! slowing down traffic, and charging outrageous prices.

Josh Board Aug. 24, 2009 @ 2:36 a.m.

Yeah, those cabs are annoying and slow everything down.

I'd love to see a "high speed" chase between the bike cab and the bike cop, with an officer an a horse catching up and kicking the guy out of his pedicab.

On a side note: Reno 911 has just been cancelled. Officer Jim Dangle posted something on his site or something that said "I guess I'll have to retire the shorts."

marko Aug. 24, 2009 @ 9:03 a.m.

they should get rid of ALL the pedi cabs. i almost got hit by one the other day, and then he tried to act all tough about it.

dviii Aug. 24, 2009 @ 9:34 a.m.

Those jobs need to get eliminated.

PistolPete Aug. 24, 2009 @ 10:57 a.m.

But dviii....where will all the foreigners work and what will the poor tourists do? LMAO! O_o

poncheko Aug. 24, 2009 @ 1:13 p.m.

As a "local" pedicaber i can understand why you guys hate us. Ever since company owners started flooding the market with the damn foreigners the whole pedicab bussiness is a constant downward spiral of crappyness. The city councel are a bunch of dumbasses that think more regulations are going to fix the problem. Its not! Not only are the foreigners crashing this whole pedicab industry to the ground. They are here on a J-1 visa which does not allow them to obtain an indepent contracting license. They are doing this illeagely! The city knows it and they are not doing anything about. Instead, they just keep on shipping them over like a bunch of third world migrant workers.

Areyo Aug. 24, 2009 @ 1:29 p.m.

I live in downtown and these pedi cabs are infesting the streets like annoying insects. They are always in the way, take up entire lanes, and cause more traffic. They also charge more than what a taxi would charge. They should be banned completely!

Josh Board Aug. 24, 2009 @ 2:26 p.m.

I don't think all the pedicabs should be banned. I think tourists like to use them. And we should help support that aspect of it.

I remember a few years back, I was parked so far away, I used one of them. I was able to make some phone calls, and write information down I needed, while the guy peddled me to my destination.

It's just annoying when you're in your car and they cut you off.

The_Comedian Aug. 24, 2009 @ 3:52 p.m.

Pedicabs are crap. I had a guy offer us a ride in OB one time. We were exactly 8 blocks from where we wanted to be, but my friend thought it would be fun to get into one of these things and nice to help the guy out - so we take the ride. During the ride we find out the driver was from Turkey and this was his first job. Upon exit we're informed it's $20 for the 8 blocks he just pedaled. I turn to my friend with a "this is alllllll you" look and he looked like he was about to knock this guy out. The guy then shows us a paper that shows the $20 cost printed out on it. Conveniently, this paper was stuffed into the seats and not shown to anyone when asked if we wanted a ride. My friend then hands him 10$ and tells him to have a nice day. I'll never step foot in one of those things again. I remember the only other time I took one of those (again, by force of friend) we were charged "whatever we thought was right" to pay. What the hell happened to that?

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 24, 2009 @ 4:04 p.m.

By JoshBoard

Reno911 jumped the shark when they fired half the original cast this season.

Thomas Lennon (Lt. Jim Dangle) made a big mistake when he fired Deputy Cleminetine.

PistolPete Aug. 24, 2009 @ 8:16 p.m.

I myself would never use a pedicab but I have nothing against them. I walk when I go downtown. The bus is $5 for an all day pass and much funner to ride if I need to go 20 blocks. I look at it like this:If you're too fat,stupid or lazy to walk and decide to go for a ride in a pedicab,more power to you but please,for the sake of humanity....don't breed.

shizzyfinn Aug. 24, 2009 @ 8:25 p.m.

I can't believe no one has commented on this article's picture, which is truly awesome. Storm Trooper Dude is hanging on to the pedicab with one hand, and has a blaster in the other. Awesome.

Not to mention that most guys I know would consider it poor form to be seen in a pedicab without a lady sitting next to them. But Storm Trooper Dude obviously plays by his own rules.

PistolPete Aug. 24, 2009 @ 8:27 p.m.

Just another comic book geek to me,shizzyfinn...

Fred Williams Aug. 24, 2009 @ 11:19 p.m.

"Resistance is futile, the rebel walkers cannot defeat the force of the pedicab army. My storm troopers will crush your puny rebelion! Now, how much is the bill?"

"Sorry? My English is not so good. I'm just here for some summer cash, you know?"

"The Empire demands to know the price for this ride!"

"Oh, yes sir mister comic book man."

"I'm a STORM TROOPER!"

"Oh, yes. Begging your pardon, sir. That's fifty dollars."

"Fifty dollars? That's an outrage!"

"Well, with your costume and everything, you're kinda heavy..."

Josh Board Aug. 25, 2009 @ 1:19 a.m.

The Obi guy would be able to say, with his hand raised in that hypnotical way: "I do not need to pay for this pedicab, do I?"

The rider would get that dazed look in his eye, and repeat "You do not have to pay for this ride. Where shall I take you?"

Josh Board Aug. 25, 2009 @ 1:20 a.m.

Hey...we should see who can come up with the best caption for this picture.

Joe Poutous Aug. 25, 2009 @ 7:09 a.m.

Man this costume chafes.

Crap. Traffic. I just wanted a quick ride to the catering trailer. This movie set sucks. I'm going to punch Lucas.

The Farsi is strong with this one.

I can't seem to find the blaster controls in this Tie Fighter.

Resistance Is Futile, er, um... nevermind.

PistolPete Aug. 25, 2009 @ 9:35 a.m.

"What a great way to get around town!!! I'm sure this wonderfully overrated city will figure out a way to ban these...."

Josh Board Aug. 25, 2009 @ 10:18 a.m.

Nice ones, tiki.

Pete, do you realize how insane and ridiculous you sound when you claim San Diego is "overrated"? Thing about what the term "overrated" means. San Diego clearly doesn't fall under that definition.

jmtrudeau Aug. 25, 2009 @ 11:30 a.m.

"Those pedicabs just have to go! They are a nuisance, they are rude, they are unyielding to pedestrians!"

By dviii 9:34 a.m., Aug 24, 2009 > Report it

Sounds like the same guys who operate pedicabs also ride in the f'ing "Critical Mass."

Josh Board Aug. 25, 2009 @ 3:29 p.m.

Ya know...I always hated those Critical Mass rides. As they purposely try to tick off motorists. And I love hearing about the motorist that just decides to drive, knocking them off their bikes. Although, I have mixed feelings, as I don't think someone should lose a life for a point to be made.

So, maybe what we can do is this. Find out about those Critical Mass rides, and where and when they'll be. Then, we can get a bunch of pedestrians to line up somewhere along THEIR path, and we can use the cross walk in THEIR way, so they have to stop their bikes and wait for us.

PistolPete Aug. 25, 2009 @ 9:07 p.m.

There's nothing special about this town,Josh. You guys can't host another Super Bowl,you will never get the Olympics here,nobody can drink on the beach anymore(I wonder how much tourism has suffered over that one),your infrastructure is failing,you're haunted by the pension scandal,mother nature obviously hates this town and all I ever hear about is how fine your city is and you don't look like L.A.. I could do this all night,Josh. :-D

Fred Williams Aug. 25, 2009 @ 11:37 p.m.

Pete, San Diego is special.

Not for its sporting events. It's never been known for sports, though misguided politicians corrupted by sports moguls' campaign contributions have wasted tons of our money trying, and failing, to be some sports big shot.

That's NOT San Diego.

Yes, San Diego's infrastructure is a disgrace. While shoveling money into Moores' and Spanos' pockets, we've NOT kept up with basic maintenance. Our water supply is perilous. The pension disaster, steroid abusing cops out of control, unresponsive and arrogant government by professional political hacks...all these things are an embarrassment.

But that's not what makes San Diego special. Any number of cities have the same problems, or worse.

What makes San Diego special has always been its location. With a natural harbor, sea and hills, rising to mountains in the east, this was one of the largest settlements of native americans before the Spaniards arrived. People lived in San Diego for a long time, taking advantage of its climate and resources.

Apart from the occasional earthquake (don't get me started on what geologists say is going to happen to Mission Valley, Downtown, or Mission Beach when the next big one strikes) we've got nearly perfect weather. The ocean wind keeps the coast cool and fresh, with better air quality than most cities.

Proximity to Mexico is another huge economic advantage, and part of what makes San Diego special.

Balboa Park makes San Diego special.

Our canyons, and island-like communities where very decent, kind and friendly people live and work together...San Diegans are not so harsh as other city dwellers.

Our universities, colleges, artists and musicians make us special.

San Diego is a special and beautiful city, Pete. Not because of sports events, but in spite of money wasted on sports events.

Best,

Fred

Josh Board Aug. 25, 2009 @ 11:37 p.m.

The beach, albeit alcohol free, rocks.

The weather, rules.

So...Chicago can host a Super Bowl. Uh, okay. But who likes the weather there in the summer or in the winter? And, I don't want to hear "They get four different seasons." Now that, my friend, is overrated.

I'd rather be warm all year round, and not see leaves changing colors.

Fred Williams Aug. 25, 2009 @ 11:42 p.m.

"Follow that Ewok!"

"Traffic again. Vader's gonna kill me..."

"Staying on target. Gotta...hold...on...tight!"

antigeekess Aug. 25, 2009 @ 11:54 p.m.

"This is just embarrassing."

"The Empire Goes Green"

"I hate it when Palatine declares a Spare the Air day."

PistolPete Aug. 26, 2009 @ 1:43 a.m.

You guys DO realize that snow brings fresher air,right? Fred mentions the sea,desert and mountains all in one place. That's all good in theory but the Average guy can't afford that. I moved out here because I had always heard that Sandy Eggo WAS a special place. Then I got here and after 6 short months,realized"Am I on Mars?". The attitude out here SLAYS me. Sandy Eggo used to be a resort town for cool old folks. Kind of like Miami but with less Cuban radicals and drug dealers.

You guys mention the weather. Last summer there wasn't a drop of rain for 8 months. It was close to 100 degrees in Poway/RB/CMR/PQ on some days. That's FAR from perfect. You guys have decent weather. Earlier this year in April it topped out at 85+ degrees around where I am. I went to see my sister in Chicago for a few days on March 5th. When I left Lindbergh Field it was around 70 degrees and perfect. I had my Packers winter jacket with me because I was expecting to get off the plane at Midway four hours later to it being 40 degrees and rain. I about s**t bricks. Stepping into Midway,it was about 65 degrees and the sun was shining. It was almost as if I had never left Sandy Eggo for Chicago. The next day was beautiful. Then it rained. Then it snowed at my parents house in Wisconsin for two days. Then it melted. I was wearing shorts and a T-shirt with my Crocs flipflops on St.Patrick's Day in Wisconsin. Not humid. Just....PERFECT. http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=51833889&albumID=3016970&imageID=52376501

That's a link(I hope so at least)to a picture of me in Wisconsin 3 days before St.Patrick's day in Wisconsin. If you look cartefully,you'll see snow on the ground over my left shoulder. It was gone the next morning. Changing seasons really is cathertic to the soul. You guys should try it sometime.

Fred mentions Balboa Park. The only things I know about Balboa Park are:It's a gay cruising spot for Hillcrest,there's alot of nice museums and theatres I'll never see,the cops like to beat up panhandlers there,the panhandlers like to beat each other there and the Chargeless won their only claim to success while not popping steroids like Skittles there.

I've been to the beach twice in the 4 years I've lived here. Each time I've gone,I've looked around and thought to myself,"I could live on the EXACT same sand,look at the EXACT same water and laugh at the EXACT same dickheads for a hell of alot less on Chicago's Gold Coast(Lake Michigan and the Magnificent Mile)". It's sand & water. Big deal. EVERY beach in the world has those two things. I've seen the Atlantic ocean off the coast of Long Island,NY. It's no different. This has got to be the cockiest town I've ever seen. I'm really. You guys claiming to live in"America's Finest City" is akin to me shouting to the world that I've got a hoo-ha as big as John Holmes'. If this was truly paradise on Earth,I wouldn't have to read The REader every thursday for a few cheap laughs.

SDaniels Aug. 26, 2009 @ 2:01 a.m.

World's smallest violin to your inability to find decent digs in SD. MOVE already.

Josh Board Aug. 26, 2009 @ 2:05 a.m.

Cops beating panhandlers in Balboa Park? Geez, I hadn't seen Spliff and his idiotic rants in a while, and now that?!?!?!?!

And if you're going to knock the cops, I'm guessing that Chicago has had a lot more corruption in their police force than out here (I'm guessing if Antigeek gets bored with her cat, she'll post a link or two).

Josh Board Aug. 26, 2009 @ 2:07 a.m.

But back to the caption contest:

"Lukes father may be my boss...but if he doesn't start peddling faster, I'm shootin' his ass!"

PistolPete Aug. 26, 2009 @ 2:21 a.m.

LMAO,Josh. And you're correct about Chicago cops. They're a different breed altogether. Corrupt? Not so sure they're more corrupt than anywhere else in America. Tough? They make the cops out here look like Mall Security Guards.

92101 Aug. 27, 2009 @ 2:09 p.m.

Well they ones who go home at night to their Island ave garage are rude. They party loudly til all hours keeping the seniors awake in the next door senior residence at the back side. They shout and talk loudly to each other on the other sides of the building waking any tenants who might want some fresh air and have their windows cracked. All foreigners I might add. No English spoken.
Regulate now!!!