“I was brought to San Diego via the hand of the judicial system,” says Chris Powers, aka 3ntra-P, one half of the hip-hop duo Clay Pigeons. Born and raised in San Luis Obispo, he says, “When I was in seventh grade, a kid moved to town who wrote [graffiti] for T.i.t.s. Krew, one of the largest graffiti krews in California.…

“I learned the ABCs, literally, about the graffiti game from him. I started getting in trouble in and outside of school. I was suspended on a few occasions for fighting, suspicion of vandalism, [and] I did time in juvenile hall for being truant and got arrested for fights and shoplifting.”

Powers says he was expelled from S.L.O. High. “[It was] for a fight, [for] which my parents had to pay over ten thousand dollars’ restitution to the victim’s family. My parents decided I was too much and declared me a ward of the state, and I was placed in foster care until I turned 18.…

“Music kind of got me through a lot of the shit I was dealing with. It was an outlet for me when I was in jail. I moved to San Diego as soon as I was free from any legal obligations in San Luis Obispo. I had pretty much quit graffiti altogether, at least on walls. I kept it to paper and canvas but would still go out and bomb on occasion. I inevitably picked up an assault charge with personal use of a deadly weapon, not more than a year after landing in S.D.”

Powers received a five-year sentence.

“With time served,” he says, “I spent about 11 months away and have been dealing with probation for the past five years.”

Clay Pigeons formed after he met Jimmy Powers (no relation) in early 2007. So far this year, the MC duo has performed around three dozen gigs. Their next show is September 29 at Brick by Brick.

Comments

lastagent Sept. 18, 2008 @ 10:26 a.m.

Hands down the most talented Hip Hip group in SD. I have seen them numerous times and it never gets old. Watch out for these guys in the near future, Chris staying out of trouble could be a huge factor in the success of this group I think, after reading this article.

irie_pete Sept. 18, 2008 @ 11:31 a.m.

Clay Pigeons is where san diego hip hop is at!!!!!! I have seen a few shows and was blown away! I love seeing this kind talent in diego! whoever says sd has no hip hop scene, has never herd these two guys!

Props to the poets!!!

Keep it up fellas!!!!!

one

acl6 Sept. 18, 2008 @ 11:34 a.m.

This hip-hop group puts on the best show around! I have seen them tons of times, and they will make it big. Love them...check them out.

castst Sept. 18, 2008 @ 11:45 a.m.

These guys are the truth, like Tecates and bacon wrapped hotdogs!

jimmypowers Sept. 18, 2008 @ 12:01 p.m.

everyone thanks for the positive words..

john61nine:

you can download "WORTH" in the Mp3's Download Section of this site under the Music Tab..

or you can go to our myspace page- www.myspace.com/pigeonshiphop

also September 29th come check us out live with ILL BILL of La Coka Nostra & Sean Price of Boot Camp Click @ Brick By Brick.

We are just getting started people....tighten your shoelaces!

Vokab_Kompany Sept. 18, 2008 @ 12:56 p.m.

We've played numerous shows with these fellas and our debut album, "Liquid Language" features EntraP on a track (Days Gone By).

The big differentiator here is they put the passion of the lessons they've learned into the music they breathe. I recommend checking them out as they progress into real artists and performers rather than just another group with a hobby. Drive, Talent, Passion, and Uniqueness... all apart of the "Pigeons" flight path.

As of current we both record out of Virtuous A&E in San Diego and have plans to feat. each others eclectic styles on our current projects (set to release 2008).

Listen: www.myspace.com/thevokabkompany

Peace, VkZ

Beast Sept. 18, 2008 @ 1:14 p.m.

No doubt, Clay Pigeons are one more reason to start recognizing San Diego for its hip hop scene. I'm looking forward to the 29th.

MarkmyWords

ADAMNT Sept. 18, 2008 @ 2:03 p.m.

Jimmy and EntraP are cool cats with talent I am glad to have met them and worked with them

They are always on the grind glad to see them getting some media exposure

ADAMNT The West Indies

rick_sanders Sept. 18, 2008 @ 3:05 p.m.

Congrats on getting the ink spread! That picture makes you look harder than ice cream. Bad ass.

Like I say every day... I am proud of you guys!

Keep grinding

sd23hiphop Sept. 18, 2008 @ 5:34 p.m.

By far my favorite hip hop artist in cali. Clay Pigeons is the next big thing and Entra-P knows how to put on a show.

roxy619ROKnRollmami Sept. 18, 2008 @ 7:48 p.m.

OMFG!! i saw the powers boys a couple times now! they are THEEE BEST!!?! anywho if anyone knows either there numbers id defintly show them both a good time! ;/p they have the sickest shows in SD! ima go every night now that i know thy are big time! watch out tho this kid josh he groped me outside the 710. but go clay pigens! woo

lboyce Sept. 23, 2008 @ 4:46 p.m.

Have seen Clay Pigeons perform many times, they represent the hip hip scene 2 the fullest! Luv them both dearly, keep up the great work & music u 2! Hope 2 read about them again soon!

melylel Sept. 26, 2008 @ 9:31 p.m.

Hilarious that he failed to mention "assault charge with personal use of a deadly weapon" was against his girlfriend of 4 years, and my sister, with a metal mop pole. I guess stapels in a gf's head really ruins a great street cred.