An African-American guy heard us talking and said, “No, that’s Dr. Carrol Waymon. He’s head of all kinds of clubs in San Diego — the Martin Luther King Democratic Club of San Diego, the One Hundred Black Men of America, and he’s the president of the San Diego chapter of the National Association of Black Psychologists. He used to hold talks in town right after Martin Luther King, Jr. was killed. He’s always on the news.”

I really wanted to speak with Dr. Waymon about this historic election, but the Material Girl would be arriving at the W soon.

I probably should’ve been dressed in something other than jeans and a CCR T-shirt. When I walked in, one of the hotel staff asked if I had a room there. I told him I was going to a party on the second floor. The guy started to say something else, but we kept walking.

When we got to the second floor, it didn’t appear to be hotel security that was guarding the party; it looked like a team of Secret Service agents blocking the rooms.

And they did their job well. A 6’2” guy with no neck asked what I wanted. I said, “To party with Madonna.” He replied, “Get lost!”

Comments

Fred Williams Nov. 20, 2008 @ 5:02 a.m.

Josh, you missed the hospitality suites, dude.

Next time, be sure to hit the Grant and the Westgate. That's where the candidates put on the feedbag and open the free booze spigots.

Great fun. Great election. Can't wait to do it all again in two years.

towelheadedcameljockey Nov. 20, 2008 @ 9:47 a.m.

So, people stood with their signs, in Golden Hall? Such a confined space to have screaming matches between one an other, especially when you've all already have voted and are just waiting for results. The picture is pretty amusing. First time I saw opposing signs next to each other. It was either all "No on 8" signs in the Hillcrest/NPark area, or "Yes on 8" signs up in Poway. Personally I was shocked and disappointed 8 passed. Hopefully our courts will review, and overturn.

pete78 Nov. 20, 2008 @ 2:23 p.m.

Once again Josh manages to write an article with undertones of racism sprinkled in. You do realize that this is how people perceive what you write, right?

towelheadedcameljockey Nov. 20, 2008 @ 3:56 p.m.

Pete,

I'm curious where you see the racist undertones? Can you actually pull lines and quote? Because, I can see where you'd think people he's writing about in the article, may be racist, but Josh doesn't seem to say anything about his personal opinon on anything, except that most black people probably voted for Obama - which is absolutely true (and nothing wrong with it).

Not attacking, just wondering if you could point out lines, just so I could see examples of what you're talking about, that maybe I missed.

Josh Board Nov. 21, 2008 @ 1:58 a.m.

Well, a few things. Pete does have a bit of a point. If you look at what the word "racism" means. It means identifying things by "race". It has come to have all kinds of negative connotations. My girlfriend was actually mad, because she said it made her look racist. And, I got her quote a little wrong (I worded it that way more for the flow of the story, and those were similar to things she said to me days early).

But let me ask you this, Pete. I've seen a few negative posts from you in the past (regarding my stories). What's your deal? I mean, I have no problem if you have constructive criticism. Hell, my mom will call me every few months and say "Wow, the Crasher from yesterday was kind of boring."

NachoDaddy Nov. 22, 2008 @ 8:44 p.m.

It's sad that you are hypothetically forbidden to state a fact because race is involved. I thought racism was judging people by their race, not just identifying. I could be wrong. Once, someone said, "I don't mean to be racist, but the Japanese invent a lot of things and have superior technology." Well, heck. That's just true. Does it make me racist?

Also, I wrote something online once. Some keyboard warrior said, "It was just lowest common denominator." Didn't back it up, or nothing. If you're gonna sling feces, grow an opposable thumb and back it up.

bluenwhitegokart Nov. 23, 2008 @ 3:55 a.m.

I decided well before the election that the word "racism" actually means "anything you say that we don't like." Google the word "niggardly," and the phrases "black hole" and "Texas," and you'll see what I mean.