One of the candidates who was on the slate and beat Cowlishaw was a local congressman’s 21-year-old daughter. “I’m not as well known as Briana Bilbray,” Cowlishaw says with a laugh.

I ask Laura Sumrall how the slate mailers originate. Industrious individuals get together and make big money from them, she tells me. “They will make up a name, file with the state, and get a code so they can do a mailer according to the rules. It’s kind of like having a time-share. People can buy in. You get a bunch of people to pay; then you do the mailer and make all the money. When a slate mailer goes out, the candidates and proposition proponents usually have all paid to be on it. Nobody is really endorsed by the party. That’s really the scam of it all. It’s all legal, but voters will get these slate mailers with the elephant on it and think, ‘Oh, this is the Republican Party endorsing these people.’ No, it’s somebody who put it together and charged people money and mailed it out. Suppose you’re a congressional candidate. They might charge you $1000 to be on the mailer; if you want to be an assemblyman, maybe $400 or $500, and, say, $100 for the lowly people.”

But things happened a bit differently with the recent mailers. Printed at their bottom, a note stated that an asterisk next to the names of the candidates meant the candidate had paid to be on the slate. All the candidates for the Republican Central Committee had the asterisks. But Sumrall says she didn’t pay a dime to appear on any slate. “So I called the number on the mailer that had my name, and I got a recording,” she says. “It did not identify a business. It just said to leave my name and number, which I did. I also asked why I was on the slate and who paid for it. Nobody ever returned my call, though I called twice.”

Records at the office of the San Diego County Registrar of Voters suggest what happened. Between January 1 and May 17, an organization called Citizens for a Better San Diego County took $18,300 in contributions, including $8300 from Atlas Hotels and $5000 from Thomas Sudberry. (Sudberry is currently petitioning the City of San Diego to build Quarry Falls, a massive condominium development in Mission Valley.) Citizens for a Better San Diego County, whose treasurer is Seventh District candidate for San Diego City Council April Boling, then made payments to five groups for “slate mailers to support SD Co Republican Central Committee candidates.” Family, Faith and Freedom Association and California Taxpayer Protection Voter Guide each received $2500. Citizens for Good Government received $2100, California Voter Guide, $2875, and Official Non-Partisan Voter Guide, $3000.

Comments

clintonsoffer July 9, 2008 @ 11:52 p.m.

I heard this was an illegal action with the cohorts of coronado communications and Tony Kervaric, the party chairman.

Someone should report to the FEC about Tony Kervaric's illegal role in getting money for these slate mailers.

dkloo July 9, 2008 @ 2:43 p.m.

The republican party needs to realize that the leaders of this country have given them a bad name and to stay in good faith with us voters, they have swayed all the way to the Democratic party. It is now a bad thing to be associated with the Republican Party and they should realize that the only way that the public's perception will change... Is for them to change. We live in a time where adaption in necessary for survival and when you continue to use old thinking .. You will get old results. I hope all of you have a good day.

Derek

fredjones2005 July 9, 2008 @ 9:36 p.m.

I wonder what an investigation of Sudberry will uncover. He seems to be the one with the deep pockets.

Here is a link to the story on Tony Krvaric. PS: He is the founder of Fairlight. I have an email that he sent to the central committee where he admits his involvement.

Tony Krvaric has even made his mark on wikipedia Tony Krvaric is STRIDER of FAIRLIGHT.

iracomegetcha July 10, 2008 @ 8:21 a.m.

the sudberry connection is here: http://sdcitybeat.com/cms/story/detail/developer_vs_developer/6991/

they funded these slates in an attempt to bribe their way again. krvaric holds hands to these folks and many more like them. and funny how he gave them an award right after having funded this. way to go bribe boy!

iracomegetcha July 10, 2008 @ 8:29 a.m.

how many more things is the san diego republican public going to tolerate from this croationfake swede? it's time for him to be removed.

believe me, this is just the tip of the iceberg. expect this stuff to start haunting ron nehring. he hand choose this guy and travels with him quite frequently. another words, he sure as heck knows what's going on with all these issues.

JohnnyVegas July 10, 2008 @ 11:52 a.m.

We need Gordon Luce now more than ever.

FLESHGORDON July 10, 2008 @ 2:07 p.m.

Where there is smoke there is a political fire ... look for an arsonist in Coronado.

Flesh

gideon July 10, 2008 @ 3:08 p.m.

This should be of no surprise to anyone. My hat is off to the writer of this article. In fact candidate David Tos runner for District 7 had been expressing his concearns about April Boling and the Republican Party. He was told by Tony Kervaric that he (Tos) should not run, because they the party, would not back him that April was owed the position because she was their accountant. Folks this should raise many red flags. Tos in fact wrote a letter to the President and the RNC in Washington, D.C regarding concearns about the party in San Diego. There seems to be some real questionable actions with April and the crew here. How can a candidate also be in charge of $ that is placing her name on ballots. Then the other question is she (April is the accountant for all the P.A.C) for the other rep. candidates. It was stated this is legal, maybe, unethical you bet. I want to see an audit done on those RP books. Why is Tony and Ron flying to Dubai together? Hmm Grover and the other two above have been in Sweeden together. We then must question who has been buying up all the slate mail slots so no one can get on them. I will bet dollars to donuts April and all of them are going to be uncovered here real soon. The public is so swayed all the time, it scares me. That is why this crew feels untouchable.The builders run this city and April and the rest of them are all in it together.

Fred Williams July 11, 2008 @ 9:02 a.m.

I've heard rumors of a campaign disclosure document that shows, right next to each other:

1. payment to April Boling the treasurer of the campaign account
  2. payment to April Boling the candidate for City Council.

Would the checks would have her signature on both front and back?

It would make a nice visual.

Dorian, do you know anything about this?

Also, Dorian, could you maybe provide us a list of all the campaigns where Boling is currently serving as treasurer?

As to Krvaric, I saw him huddling and noodling with McSweeney election night. They make a cute couple.

Tony is a Croat/Swede/Right-Wing-True-Christian-American(TM). He's not the first hyphenated Republican in California, is he? What about that other guy who was an illegal immigrant? Is it true that Ahrnold refuses to have anything to do with the neanderthals running the Republican party into the ground in this state?

Serves 'em right.

Thank you for writing this great article. I bet there's plenty more to come.

Best,

Fred

CestMoi July 11, 2008 @ 7:53 p.m.

This under-handed plot astonishes me. It’s amazing that anyone would even plan something like this. One of my relatives is among the group of incumbents that was not included on the mailers. I happened to be visiting when the first fake-official mailer arrived. It had obviously been created in an attempt to deceive. It looked identical to the type of mailer normally received from official sources prior to an election. It also contained a nonsensical disclaimer statement that most would require a magnifying glass to read along with an official-sounding source name (California Voter Guide). Unbelievable. In addition, it made false claims regarding those listed having paid a sum of money to be included. I felt so badly for my relative. This person has been an enthusiastic worker for a number of years and, to be stabbed in the back in this manner is a sad turn of events. Of course, the average citizen would assume this information was from an official source. I would certainly have thought so. The six people listed on the fake-official mailer were those elected in my relative’s precinct, which, of course, will result in the loss of a talented and faithful representative. It amazes me that people even have the time to plot in this manner. More, I am sad that people we should be able to trust to do the right thing worked in an underhanded manner to cut the pool only to those who will go-along-to-get-along.

csoffer July 11, 2008 @ 8:24 p.m.

the post by clintonsoffer is a fake, because he is me. stop stealing my name low life.

iracomegetcha July 12, 2008 @ 3:29 p.m.

Thanks for this article Joe. You did a fine job.

One of the things that people keep missing about this is that these slates, or voter guides, if you will, are mailed to registered voters implying that they are endorsed by not only the local GOP but by other organizations. Most are simply PAC's. Political Action Committees designed to launder money and promote causes under the slate law loopholes. One of the slates/voter guides, claimed to be by a republican women's group. It was not. It was a women who is a consultant who formed a PAC in order to make money, and yes, she's a registered republican. good for her, except that this is designed to deceive the public.

it is advertising, just like any commercial one sees on television, or in newspapers/magazines. And yes, in those they clearly have to post: paid advertising. Which is what these PAC's should have to do.

another fallicy is that on some, they claimed to be associated with the CRP. The CRP is NOT allowed to endorse these candidates. Another said they were associated with CRA, well actual endorsed CRA candidates were not on the slates. again, deceit. But does the public know this? of course not.

cantstancha July 12, 2008 @ 3:41 p.m.

the chairman and his henchmen (executive board) also intimidated people into not running, and also told others they had to run. lies were spread by him in an effort to influence an election. I hardly think this can be construed as democracy, or honesty, or ethical.

clintonsoffer July 13, 2008 @ 3:38 p.m.

i agree. someone should get rid of the chairman and his henchmen.

the circle jerk or ron nehring, tony kervaric and coronado communications ought to be stopped. if only people knew how duane dichira and jennifer jacobs of coronado communications are destroying the democracy of san diego... they should be investigated by the fec and charged for breaking laws.