Heavy Glow recently recorded an EP at Velvet Revolver’s L.A. studio with guitarist/producer Stevie Salas.

“Slash’s guitar was there,” says front man Jared, “and I played it while we recorded. I met [GNR/VR drummer] Matt Sorum. Big dude. The kind of guy that would definitely kick your ass. Nice, though, and very funny. Definitely a rock star.… While we were there, we stole our fair share of Velvet Revolver guitar picks and Duff’s bass picks as souvenirs.”

During the recording, Salas invited Jared to a Record Plant session for T.I.’s new album, with Justin Timberlake producing.

“Before I went into the studio,” says Jared, “I honestly didn’t know who T.I. was. All I remember is that he was wearing purple.… Timberlake and T.I. were both pretty chill. I didn’t talk to them too much, because I didn’t want to be that guy.… Justin had some great melodic ideas for the songs…very intuitive and very impressive knowledge of appropriate chord changes and melodies. He came off as the kind of person who wants to push the boundaries.… I remember him saying, ‘Once in a while, you get to be the lucky son of a bitch that gets to take chances,’ or something to that effect.”

Comments

Jay Allen Sanford Dec. 23, 2008 @ 8:04 p.m.

While Heavy Glow was recording, actor Michael Wincott (The Assassination of Richard Nixon) also dropped by the Velvet Revolver studio. “He ended up playing the drums with us for about 20 minutes,” says Jared. “Cool guy. We gave him a pair of sticks, so he’d let us take a picture with him.”

jazminepearl Dec. 23, 2008 @ 11:44 p.m.

Soooo happy for you guys! It's about time you get the attention you deserve!!! San Diego has the best music!!!

Terrah22 Dec. 24, 2008 @ 8:28 a.m.

OMG!!!! JARED!!!! WTF YOU MET T.I. AND JUSTIN!!!!! YOU LUCKYYYY! YOU'RE THE BESTEST AND I LOVE YOUR BAND!! BUT OMG T.I. AND JT, YOU BETTER HAVE GOT AN AUTOGRAPH! =)

cbadrem Dec. 24, 2008 @ 8:33 a.m.

JARED!!!!!! JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE IS MY MAAANNNNN =) YOUR BAND IS WAY COOLER THAN JT AND T.I PUT TOGETHER THOUGH! ROCK ONNNNNNNN!!!!!

abbygomez Dec. 24, 2008 @ 8:46 a.m.

OMG!! THAT IS SOOOOOO COOL JARED YOUR THE BEST.

AphoticXMurder Dec. 24, 2008 @ 8:58 a.m.

FREAKING AWESOME! you guys kick freaking ASS! Keep up the solid Work and keep on keeping on. PLAY MORE SHOWS!

jaredshell Dec. 24, 2008 @ 9:05 a.m.

YEAAAHHHHH great job jared! i'm so proud of you and your band, you guys rock my socks off!!!! play more shows so we can get our socks rocked off ALL THE TIME!!! yeesssssss :)

Msbland86 Dec. 24, 2008 @ 9:15 a.m.

Jared rocks...his music is wonderful, before I went to a show of his I was skeptical of how he would sound but when I heard his band I really enjoyed it very much...It was the GREATEST!!!!

aprilg Dec. 24, 2008 @ 2:25 p.m.

you guys do know they have 8 shows listed on their myspace, right?

quackmire Dec. 24, 2008 @ 6:16 p.m.

The bass player has the FASTEST fingers I've ever seen! They have a great live show!!