Someone pulled up out front in a truck that looked just like the vehicle in Up in Smoke. It had marijuana leaves painted all over it. People in line took photos next to it.

The first show Cheech and Chong did took a long time to let out. They were signing autographs and taking photos with fans.

Dick came out with my signed album, which I put back in my car.

Cheech and Chong weren’t that funny. They did many of the things taken straight out of their movies. But it was still great to be there and witness these comedic legends. Especially when I had planned on seeing George Carlin at Humphrey’s, and he died a month before the show. And Bernie Mac just died at age 50. Comedians seem to be dropping like flies.

Tommy Chong’s wife Shelby, whom he had met when she was in their movie Nice Dreams, was selling shirts and posters and told us it was $20 to take our picture and get things signed. We paid it. And we asked them to pretend to smoke a joint for the photo. Dick was taking the pictures.

I didn’t have anything for them to sign, and they ran out of the posters they were selling for $5. I had a basketball keychain and I said, “Hey, why don’t you guys sign this. You have the song ‘Basketball Jones,’ so...”

Cheech laughed as he tried to fit his signature on the small object. Chong looked at it strangely and I said, “Come on, you’ve probably been asked to sign weird things before. I saw you sign rolling paper outside of 4th&B ten years ago. And you’ve probably signed a number of bongs over the years.” He smiled and said, “Yeah, that’s true.”

Comments

NachoDaddy Aug. 29, 2008 @ 10:36 a.m.

1. Who HASN'T wanted to slap Josh Board?
  2. THIS ISN'T AUTOGRAPH MAGAZINE!!!
  3. You running the train off of the rails makes me want to slap you!

Ponzi Aug. 29, 2008 @ 10:44 p.m.

I'm a Josh Board fan. One of these days I will meet him and share some cigars and cocktails.

Fred Williams Aug. 29, 2008 @ 8:35 p.m.

Maybe women only get 70% of male pay because they can get away with things like slapping a guy for an imagined insult without getting slapped back?

As to wanting to slap Josh...sure, all of his loyal readers have felt that compulsion at one time or another. But just take a deep breath and remember reading the articles is free.

Besides, I once met Josh in person, and he's bigger than he looks in the pictures. If you're not a drunk blonde and slap him without provocation, I suspect he'll perform some spur of the moment amateur dentistry on you.

I recommend writing snarky comments on his blog instead of slapping him. It's far more fun.

Best,

Fred Williams President Josh Board Fan Club

Josh Board Aug. 30, 2008 @ 1:14 a.m.

Holy crap! A fan club. I thought if my name, and club, was ever used in the same sentence, it would be about someone that witnessed me eating two club sandwiches at a restaurant, and what a pig I was.

Well, here's an update on the crazy woman in the article. She text messaged my friend. Said she got fired because of the story. My friend, and I, don't buy it. He said she often "loses" jobs. And, it really doesn't make sense. Because, I do not say the name of the woman that slapped me. Even though, it is the same woman that is mentioned later in the story. I wrote it like that on purpose.

She had been sending me a bunch of emails, about joining some kind of networking group. I never responded. Yet I kept getting the emails.

And, at another party I went with her to, it was at this huge house. A few big name newscasters were there. It was odd, because she'd come over and talk to me, about how much she liked a friend of mine. Yet...oh well, I don't want to get into it all. But, yeah, she's a bit bizarre.

I've always said if a woman hit/slapped me, I'd have no problem laying them out. But, she caught me off guard. And, when everyone laughed, it became more of a drunken person acting weird, and I let it go.

Fred Williams Aug. 30, 2008 @ 7:07 a.m.

So darling Nikki got fired, and now she blames you...

Josh, you should tell your friend Gerald to DTMFA.

Josh Board Sept. 2, 2008 @ 12:28 a.m.

Darling Nikki also reminded me of someone a lot like in that song, now that ya bring it up.

But, here's what's so funny about people. You can always tell when their stories are BS. Perfect example...she didn't call my friend up and say "You aren't going to believe this. My bosses fired me, because they saw the story in the Reader, and thought it was a bad representation of the company."

He had texted her about something, and she said "Tell Josh thanks for the story. It created problems at work."

He texted back "What problems?" Her response was "Terminated". No other explanation.

People don't just do that. They would explain the story.

I heard on my voice mail from one person about a party, years ago...their boss loved it and wanted extra copies. Another person, their boss didn't like his picture in their holding a beer, and talking about how wasted he got. But since the company wasn't mentioned, the boss said that was fine. Although, the guy told me he got nervous when he was in his office "discussing" it.