The Union-Tribune’s Christmas Massacre of December 2007 is still producing bloodshed. The Copley Press, aided by a high-powered consulting firm, is contesting unemployment claims filed by a small group of ex-employees who took a buyout after concluding they would be fired.

There is mayhem throughout the newspaper industry, but there seem to be few precedents for what the U-T is doing. “I have not been made aware of other employers fighting unemployment claims,” says Linda Foley, president of the Newspaper Guild in Washington, D.C. What Copley is doing is “unusual, and it’s unusually cruel. This is not a worker-friendly industry, especially at the moment. This is a new level of cruelty. It’s just mean.”

Bernard Lunzer, secretary-treasurer of the national guild, says, “This is the first I have heard of this issue. I am not aware of companies hiring outside firms to resist unemployment [claims], but it could be happening. It is certainly wrong.”

Copley’s motivation is most likely economic. Employers pay into unemployment pools, but a company tapping the system more frequently has to pay more, rather like the way a person responsible for an auto accident has to pay higher insurance premiums. However, the ex-employees are puzzled, because there are probably fewer than 20 who are still trying to get unemployment compensation that they feel is owed them. Possibly the company is planning more buyouts and layoffs. That would hardly be surprising. It may be another indication that ownership is trying to slash costs to sell the company. Also, since the Copley Press has been known for its hostile employee relations, some think spite may be a motivation.

To help contest the unemployment claims, Copley hired TALX UC eXpress, a major unemployment cost management firm. “In 2003, we removed over $6 billion in unemployment claim liability and recovered $240 million in erroneous charges for our clients,” the firm boasts on its website. The company, which is a unit of Equifax, says that it is expert in saving companies money in insurance related to unemployment claims. Neither Copley nor UC eXpress responded to requests for comment.

The warfare began December 3, 2007, when the company suddenly announced a “Voluntary Separation Program,” warning that it needed to cut costs and this was just one step in the process. The company listed the number of jobs it wanted to eliminate (for example, nine news reporters would be axed) and said that if enough volunteers didn’t take buyouts, there would be layoffs, which there ultimately were. There was this verbiage in a “frequently asked questions” sheet: “Will I be eligible for Unemployment Insurance through the State?” Answer: “Unemployment is between you and the state. However, in our past experience with a ‘voluntary’ separation, people have not received Unemployment.”

Employees knew that that statement was at best only partly true. At year-end 2006, employees with 30 years of service had taken voluntary buyouts; there had been no target list, as there was in 2007. Several who were too young to take retirement packages took their buyout packages and months of unemployment compensation without the company complaining. “A personnel official even showed them how to file for unemployment online. The blank for ‘Reason for Leaving the Company’ read ‘Workforce Reduction,’ ” recalls a former employee. When the Union and Tribune merged in the early 1990s and there were buyouts, “the company repeatedly said it would not stand in the way of unemployment benefits,” says an ex-employee.

When pondering the 2007 buyout offer and whether they would qualify for unemployment compensation, employees did their homework. One found in the State’s regulations that for a termination to be deemed voluntary, the unemployment claimant must be the “moving party, or the person who places into motion the chain of events that is responsible for the termination.” That was hardly true of employees who were handed the Hobson’s choice December 3. Still, the Employment Development Department kept telling this employee loudly and rudely that the termination was a “voluntary quit.” But “I don’t believe it’s a voluntary quit when the company walks you to the edge of the gangplank and says, ‘Here is your choice: jump or be pushed,’ ” says this former employee, who received some unemployment payments and was forced to return them and pay a 30 percent fine. (A young, low-level employee, who got a pittance for a buyout, allegedly got three checks for $450 each, then was told to return them along with a 30 percent fine. I wasn’t able to reach that person.)

Because the company specified how many heads it wanted chopped, “Clearly we were targeted; it was clearly a forced workforce reduction, but that was not satisfactory to the [Employment Development Department],” says another, who didn’t fight after being turned down by the State.

Craig Rose, an excellent business reporter, had been on a 2004 list of 48 employees who might be laid off if the economy worsened. (The list was supposed to be secret, but few secrets are kept from newspaper people.) “I felt I was targeted,” he says. “This was a forced layoff; when you preannounce that you are eliminating people, how is that not a layoff?” Rose, filing a one-week claim, was told that his was a voluntary departure. He has not heard on his appeal. He has landed a good job with the City Attorney’s Office and says the appeal is mainly a matter of principle. Rose refuses to discuss his severance package.

“I worked my heart out for that newspaper, and now they’re persuading the State to deny us unemployment compensation,” says a longtime reporter. “I’ll never wear my Union-Tribune watch again.”

Peter Zschiesche, director of San Diego’s Employee Rights Center, says the State normally looks at a buyout as a voluntary quit, “but there is a precedent decision that basically lays out that this has to be looked at on a case-by-case basis. Nothing fits all. You can get unemployment under a voluntary quit if there is a compelling reason.” On behalf of former employees, Zschiesche presents that compelling reason to an administrative law judge. The Employee Rights Center now represents a handful of ex-Copley employees and may take on more.

Comments

Anon92107 April 16, 2008 @ 12:24 p.m.

The U-T takes “Draconian” down to a whole new level, they not only destroy their own employees which is no surprise since they have been destroying San Diego for decades reminding me of a painting of “Hell” by Hieronymus Bosch especially after the 2003 and 2007 firestorms created by U-T “Ballot Recommendations” puppeticians like Golding, Murphy and Sanders.

Don Bauder April 16, 2008 @ 1:05 p.m.

Response to post #1: Bosch was a great artist. The creatures he created were marvelously creative. The ones in hell were especially so. Best, Don Bauder

JohnnyVegas April 16, 2008 @ 1:14 p.m.

I went up against an unemployment claims firm in the past-didn't help the employer, they still lost, and were still charged.

To be honest, after the cost to have the firm represent you is calculated, it is probably not much of a savings.

wlake April 16, 2008 @ 1:42 p.m.

What the UT is doing is nasty. I've been laid off a couple of times and my father, who worked in the steel industry, was laid off a lot! It's never pretty even if given what the employer labels "a choice"! You are most often escorted out the door like a criminal. And as far as the Employment Development Department (EDD) goes, this government agency makes it one of the most demeaning experiences you'll ever go through. The EDD schedules appointments to which you have to arrive early but they make you sit there for an hour or more and you must sit there because if they call you and you don't respond, then you just broke the covenant and there go your benefits! So don't even try to schedule a job interview the same day you have to go to EDD. And good luck trying to have a 2-way conversation with the EDD clerk, they don't listen. I found out that the employer is always right and the unemployed is always wrong. Though I did win my appeal in the first instance, when I got laid off the second time I used my own resources (used all of my savings) until I got a new job rather than go through that disgusting experience again. Unfortunately, not everyone has the means and next time I may not either.

Don Bauder April 16, 2008 @ 2:12 p.m.

Response to post #3: I can't figure how Copley has much to gain economically from this, because there are so few that are still trying to get unemployment compensation, and so many who filed but who didn't fight when they were turned down. That's why the ex-employees wonder if this is being done out of spite. It's possible the relationship between Copley and the consulting firm is over, because the firm didn't show up at the last hearing. However, since neither company would talk, I have no way of knowing. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder April 16, 2008 @ 2:15 p.m.

Response to post #4: I was told by a couple of former Copley people that the EDD bureaucrats were very rude and would not listen. Best, Don Bauder

Scoop April 16, 2008 @ 7:28 p.m.

The UT has a very long history of mistreating employees. I have worked with Chet Barfield, a very good reporter, and I think it speaks volumes about the UT that they have as little respect for their loyal employees as they do for their readers.

It's time for Copley to sell this paper, and bring it out of the bush-league status it has earned in the last few years.

JohnnyVegas April 16, 2008 @ 7:31 p.m.

EDD people can be very rude, but they are just the opening round. They frequently make major mistakes and the only way to get issues straightened out is to request an administrative review-or even a review by the Superior Court.

Administrative judges are full fledged lawyers and are for the most part are very fair (but there are EXCEPTIONS). Oh, and it is FREE!

If you get a bad administrative judge then you ask for a review by the Superiour Court.

It is actually a fast, effective and simple process.

Don Bauder April 16, 2008 @ 8:42 p.m.

Response to post #7: The Copley Press has a long history of hostility to unions. It is now rid of most of them, but is battling bitterly with the Teamsters. The company has long had a militaristic, top-down management mentality that has interfered with editorial integrity and impaired productivity, among other things. On the other hand, Copley has generous medical and retirement benefits: the company has both a defined benefit and defined contribution plan. Morale is rock bottom now, as it is at all metropolitan daily newspapers. After all, employees at these papers have grave doubts how long the industry will survive. The Union-Tribune is doing worse than other metro dailies. That complicates the local situation. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder April 16, 2008 @ 8:45 p.m.

Response to post #8: At last: a good word for the system. Best, Don Bauder

Anon92107 April 17, 2008 @ 1:47 a.m.

Response to post #2 & 7:

Interesting comment by Scoop recommending that the U-T "bring it out of the bush-league status" which seems to be part of a national cancer considering the U-T Editorial Board has a Bush-Cheney mentality.

As for the consequences of the U-T "bush-league" mentality to our way of life in San Diego, the newest version of Bosch’s “Hell” are “Hell in San Diego” icons produced by the U-T and directed by Davies featuring pictures of firestorms.

Don Bauder April 17, 2008 @ 6:46 a.m.

Response to post #11: Of course the U-T's editorial board has a Bush-Cheney mentality. Locally, it has a Sanders-Peters mentality, which is not much different philosophically and psychologically from the Bush-Cheney mentality. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder April 18, 2008 @ 6:01 a.m.

Response to post #18: Wagnerian style world? Wagner wrote some of the most beautiful music ever composed, although he, himself, was a repugnant person. Please don't denigrate Wagner by juxtaposing him with Bush/Cheney or U-T/Davies. It's bad enough that I have a spouse who dislikes most Wagner; I have to wait until she leaves the house to put on Wagner CDs or DVDs. Incidentally, tonight we will be hearing a Flying Dutchman starring James Morris. She does like Dutchman. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder April 17, 2008 @ 9:52 p.m.

Response to post #15: Introspection is not encouraged at the U-T. Best, Don Bauder

SDinMT April 17, 2008 @ 5:52 p.m.

I wonder how many former and current employees now wish they were still represented by the Newspaper Guild. "We can negotiate for ourselves," they said. Apparently not. Shame on the U-T for their behavior. As a former employee who left by choice in 1994, I am appalled.

Anon92107 April 18, 2008 @ 2:27 a.m.

Response to post #12:

I know what you are saying Don, and I don’t want to knit pick but there is a big difference philosophically and psychologically between the Cheney Bloodsucker mentality and the Sanders-Peters Puppetician mentality. That is to say, Cheney gives orders as the leader of the Neocon establishment using his Bushpuppet, while our San Diego puppets follow orders of their U-T/Davies masters.

Just thought that needed a little clarification so we know the hierarchy of the cast of characters in this Wagnerian style world we live in today.

Don Bauder April 17, 2008 @ 6:41 p.m.

Response to post #13: I am sure many employees wish the guild were still around. However, across the country, the guild hasn't been able to do much about the massive layoffs in the newspaper industry. At the U-T, the guild might have been able to ease some of the pain by handling smaller issues. The president of the U-T, Gene Bell, is a union hater and buster. I don't think he cares much for employees, either. Best, Don Bauder

rexl April 17, 2008 @ 7:59 p.m.

gee ruben navarette in his column this week at the UT wrote democrates are needlessly bitter, over made up issues. maybe he should look into the practices of his own employer.

Anon92107 April 18, 2008 @ 10:40 a.m.

Response to post #18:

Ooops, you have my empathy Don. I also have a most wonderful wife like that, and it's as good as it gets once you realize the superior benefits. At this point in life I fully appreciate more than ever before my wife who is smarter than me (she got a better grade in International Relations than me and has never let me forget it and other dumb things I did back then), especially most thankfully that she has always had infinitely more common sense than me which got us this far alive in the happily ever after mode, and knows what she likes or not.

Sorry about the blasphemy of comparing Wagner with Bush/Cheney or U-T/Davies in the same thought. Would one or more circles of Dante’s Inferno be more appropriate and acceptable? However news footage of the Golding/Murphy/Sanders Firestorms have become somewhat iconic representations of the consequences of our U-T/Davies government all by themselves, but outsiders might not be able to relate to this comparison with the same outrage that we have (or should have but people forget the death and destruction too easily on the first day of spring).

Don Bauder April 19, 2008 @ 1:55 p.m.

Response to post #19: My wife has a PhD in plant ecology -- a tough field. I have a Master's in journalism -- not a very prestigious degree. Best, Don Bauder

maybelar April 19, 2008 @ 4:36 p.m.

I hope my friends & my co-workers in UT Packaging Department will have an interest reading this article (or site) and hopefully wake up and open their eyes and be not afraid to stand up for their rights!Being ignorance & fear are two of our greatest weaknesses, and these are all what they have to bust the union out! Again we should educate the Union Tribune (SKUNK) and tell them " We are not colony of ants they are dealing with human beings, I said HUMAN BEINGS!"I don't know how these people live everyday with words full of lies and what values they have in raising their families & their own kids. Yes, they can run but they cannot hide with their own conscience which I know they don't have either! But all of us has their own mirror(conscience) which we cannot deny, if not they do not belong to us!"Homeland Security is Job Security!!!Truely " They are American Junk!Something stinks @ the Union-Tribune and they are really a SHAME, SHAME & SHAME to America!(goosebumps!)They don't want a good worker in UT. All they want are stupid, ignorant & lazy people in the Packaging Department. "WHAT A SHAME!"These are the kind people we have "Why America Is In BIG CRISIS NOW!" Let's pray for them!!!

JohnnyVegas April 19, 2008 @ 4:50 p.m.

I have a Master's in journalism -- .

By dbauder 1:55 p.m., Apr 19, 2008

Don, where did you get your Masters Degree at????

Don Bauder April 19, 2008 @ 7:04 p.m.

Response to post #21: There is much bitterness and rancor in the U-T packaging department, as exemplified by your message. The company is trying to effectuate deep salary and benefits slashes; the Teamsters are battling management. I hope you can keep us up to date on what is going on there. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder April 19, 2008 @ 7:06 p.m.

Response to post #22: University of Wisconsin (Madison) 1961. Got bachelor's in business there, 1959.

Anon92107 April 20, 2008 @ 2:44 a.m.

Response to post #20 & 23:

maybelar is indeed one of the people we all need to hear more from because the U-T and far too many other businesses are changing the way business is done in America.

We now live in a new era after corruption and greed have passed tipping points in our corporate, legislative, judicial, educational, religious and other most important institutions impacting all of our futures in increasingly Draconian ways.

The era that the Greatest Generation produced for us is over and the window of opportunity for the greatest middle class in history is closing.

I feel your wife has one of the best degrees, biological sciences are what stimulate my curiosity the most today especially since my wife became a cancer survivor.

Don Bauder April 20, 2008 @ 7:37 a.m.

Response to post #25: Yes, this new era is scary. Greed is out of control. The experiment with a return to so-called free markets has failed. I say that humbly, because I was once a strong believer in the University of Chicago approach to economics. But because it has clearly failed, and led to an dangerously obscene distribution of wealth and income, the U.S. must go back to the old model of regulation, although it has severe limitations, too. Best, Don Bauder

JohnnyVegas April 20, 2008 @ 8:15 a.m.

The top American hedgefund/private equity CEO made 3.7 billion last year-that is pretty out of control.

This nonsense started with lax regulation in the 80's that allowed dirtbag financiers to destroy small and medium sized American businesses for the greed of the few. If you remember the mid 80's when Michael Milken was by FAR the highest paid fund manager (and basically Milken/Drexel were a private equity fund) made $562 Million personally in one year (1987/88?), which was 63 on the Forbes 500, right in front of McDonalds.

Has only gotten worse, by allowing greedy individuals to loot American companies. Pathetic.

Don Bauder April 20, 2008 @ 8:43 a.m.

Response to post #27: You are so right. Leveraged buyouts, for example, are a scam. Period. The private equity group takes over a company that is already publicly held by piling debt on the company. The buyers put in a little money. The company is taken private. The buyers pay themselves an enormous dividend, so they have essentially taken no risk. The company goes public a second time, but this time it is loaded with debt. So what has happened? The insiders at the private equity group have amassed great sums of money. The company is now leveraged to the eyeballs. In the current credit crisis, the private equity groups such as Kohlberg Kravis wail that they have no access to capital (essentially, junk debt). That's good. If they were permanently blocked from the debt market, society would be much better off. But they won't be, because they are among the largest donors to politicians -- particularly those on the House and Senate finance committees. Best, Don Bauder

Anon92107 April 20, 2008 @ 3:52 p.m.

Response to post #26:

What is truly amazing is that The Greatest Generation was able to raise the level of Humanity as high as they did. But in spite of all their truly heroic accomplishments the 20th century is now being characterized as the “Savage Century” of war, threats of war and genocide on a scale far greater than all the peoples of ancient Egypt, Persia, Mongolia, Greece and Rome were able to produce combined, due to the “miracles” of modern science and technology in the 20th century.

As the Durants documented in their Lessons of History: “One of the discouraging discoveries of our disillusioning century is that science is neutral: it will kill for us as readily as it will heal, and will destroy for us more readily than it can build.”

And as Freeman Dyson said in Imagined Worlds: “The failure of science to produce benefits for the poor in recent decades is due to two factors working in combination: the pure scientists have become more detached from the mundane needs of humanity, and the applied scientists have become more attached to immediate profitability.”

Don Bauder April 20, 2008 @ 4:36 p.m.

Response to post #29: There are several other factors to ponder here. The so-called pure scientists are becoming less in number, largely because they have drifted over to the applied side. The applied scientists have taken over the universities -- curriculum and all. Best, Don Bauder

Anon92107 April 21, 2008 @ 3:13 a.m.

Response to post #30:

So that's why our education system is crashing and burning!

And unless our younger generations can prevail at the polls to protect their own future, so goes our Democracy because Bush-Cheney has shown us how close to dictatorship we can get, and they're not finished yet.

Don Bauder April 21, 2008 @ 6:57 a.m.

Response to post #31: Young people have been active in the Democratic primary races thus far. It is critical that they show up in November. It looks like they will if Obama is the candidate. If it's Hillary, they may not. Best, Don Bauder

HellcatCopley April 24, 2008 @ 9:34 a.m.

Don, I am sure the FIRST Mrs. Copley would take exception to Helen being a "good person." By the way, the UT was doing business with Talx for YEARS before any of this happened ... at least as early as 1999. Check your facts!

HellcatCopley April 23, 2008 @ 3:13 p.m.

Helen Copley must be laughing in her grave right about now. Remember, it was Helen who recuited union-bustin' I-Dream-of-Genie Bellboy AND the King & Ballow law firm to rough up the employees. When the Guild conspired to stand her up on her annual Christmas party and printed posters of her as a Nazi, she took the gloves off. The newsroom is partly to blame too. They had become so insulated from their fellow UT employees in other departments that it was easy for management to divide, conquer, and union bust. The folks who worked in Circulation, for example, heard loud and clear that the newsies did not care about them or their work.

JohnnyVegas April 23, 2008 @ 11:01 p.m.

I do not know where you get your facts, but UE benefits are contested for the purpose of the employer not getting charged from the fund.

"Contested" UE benefits are NOT routinely approved, and I highly doubt a "great majority" of them are approved, with a great majority being 65-70%.

In the early 90's I had 5 contested UE claims* within a 24 month period. They were ALL reversed from the intitial decision of the State UE Department-either at an administrative hearing or the Superior Court. 4 went my way, one went the employers way.

The UE Dept. has a number of unqualified and incompetent employees working there (at least they did when I dealt with them, I doubt it has changed any, if at all), and even some of the administrative judges were not that bright.

Bottom line-5 claims-5 bad decisions-5 appeals and 5 reversals. All in a 24 month period. That is pathetic.

Don Bauder April 23, 2008 @ 3:36 p.m.

Response to post #33: The story as I hear it is that an executive of Tribune Co. in Chicago called Helen and told her that he had an executive (Gene Bell) who was very good, but the company had no place for him. When she learned that Bell was a union buster for the Tribune (particularly in New York), she hired him. He also had expertise in printing press operations and saved the company some money by modernizing the process. He arrived in the early 1990s and brought some areas of the paper (accounting, ad sales, finance, credit) up to 1980s industry levels. Human Relations progressed in some areas, regressed badly in others. Circulation was a disaster but the blame lay mainly with technological and demographic factors that are killing metro dailies, although the poor editorial product contributed. The U-T was late to realize that young people were not reading and a tectonic shift was underway. Copley Press bought Midwest newspapers at a time it should have been putting its capital in the electronics age. (This was the fault of La Jolla top management and the board. Some people who had urged such moves got fired.) Helen Copley was a very good person. You are correct that the guild treated her badly; she was very sensitive. Years after her death, the mishandling of personnel relations continues, but it's hard to keep morale up when metro dailies are sinking, sinking, sinking. Best, Don Bauder

anon5 April 23, 2008 @ 7:57 p.m.

Don, Not too sure how good the Wisconsin school of Journalism is, but a small bit of research may have been helpful. I guess it pays to be a columnist as opposed to a reporter where we need actual facts. The California EDD, which is the decider of whether a person would get unemployment, approves a great majority of unemployment claims. In a previous life, I worked in HR in San Francisco, the EDD regularly approved unemployment claims for people who had, in one instance, called in sick 60 times in 6 months. Ask any HR person and they will tell you the same story. But since you didn't check facts before the article, I doubt you will after.

Additionally, as is so common in our newsroom, you seem to be taking statements from unnamed sources as a fact that represent 100% truths. When, in fact, of the 2 people you quoted, Mr. Barfield (a fine journalist and excellent person) admits he was fighting the EDD more than he was fighting the UT. The other one refuses to discuss the terms of his severance. Is it possible that he is embarrassed to be complaining that he received 1 years pay (based on previous stories of yours).

Perhaps your hatred for this company is blinding you from your real anger. It is the State that is denying these people's claim, not the UT.

Our company has a lot of problems, but I still love working here. As a long term employee, I am appalled at what I hear in the newsroom. Rumors get accepted as facts without even looking into it. We are supposed to be journalist for crying out loud.

Quotes from your friends in the newsroom, while getting no comment from UT and Talx (shocking that they would not discuss this with you), and not checking simple unemployment law facts should be embarrassing to you and the Reader.

Fact check just a wee bit before you publish next time.

Don Bauder April 24, 2008 @ 10:14 a.m.

Response to post #37: The children of Jim Copley's first wife had a big court battle with Helen Copley. There was lingering bitterness on both sides. You may be right that Copley had done business with TALX since 1999. But was that business related to unemployment compensation? UC eXpress was not formed until 2002, when TALX acquired and merged the two top unemployment cost management firms. (Last year TALX merged into Equifax.) As I said in the column, neither Copley nor UC eXpress would speak to me, so it was difficult to check such facts. Also, if Copley had used TALX for whatever reason since 1999, I am not sure that is relevant to the column. If there is a reason why it should be relevant, please let me know. I appreciate your comments. Best, Don Bauder

anon5 April 24, 2008 @ 8:17 p.m.

Don, Once again, facts would be good. Most companies larger than 500 employees are at the highest tax rate for unemployment insurance. I am sure the UT is included in this group. If one of these people were to receive unemployment benefits, it does not cost the company a dime.

Yes their reserve account is charged. But that reserve account is funded at a certain tax rate. Again, most companies larger than 500 employees are at the highest tax rate.

Therefore, for the sake of redundancy, an added unemployment claim, does not equal additional money out of the company's pocket.

Again, facts help. Perhaps calling the EDD before this article would have been in order.

Don Bauder April 24, 2008 @ 8:25 p.m.

Response to post #39: First, I don't know that Copley has 500 employees these days, although it may. I can't get information from the company. Second, your statement that added unemployment claims do not lead to additional payments does not square with what other people -- who know employment law -- told me. I am not saying you are wrong. I appreciate your criticism. Best, Don Bauder

anon5 April 24, 2008 @ 9:06 p.m.

Don, If, and I stress if, you want the facts, just ask the EDD. Companies have a cap for unemployment tax. I realize that fiction is much more fun and sexy. But I find the truth to be just as interesting. Plus it has the added bonus of being...a fact.

Each additional claim does not add more cost to the company if they are at the maximum tax rate.

Don Bauder April 25, 2008 @ 6:34 a.m.

Response to post #41: Your point seems to be that in the headline, we should not have had the question mark after the word "Spite." Best, Don Bauder

HellcatCopley April 27, 2008 @ 6:52 a.m.

Yes, Don. The UT has used TALX for years for UC. Now here's the thing: the UT would tell TALX whether or not to challenge the claim on a case-by-case basis. For example, in some instances, people who DID quit voluntarily would file and the UT would want to deny the claim. Someone at the UT, most likely Gene Bell, made the call to deny the current crop. The call would not have been made by HR VP Bobbie Espinosa. Too bad you newsies never left the third floor long enough to make contacts in your own origanzation!

Don Bauder April 27, 2008 @ 10:49 a.m.

Response to post #43: If you surreptitiously give me your phone number and/or email address, I will call or email you next time such a question comes up. I know several people in HR but the company is not speaking to me. You can send me the information on my email, don.bauder@mac.com, or call me at 619-546=8529. Best, Don Bauder

maybelar April 8, 2011 @ 6:47 a.m.

Response to post #23 & #25 (Here is an Update UT INSIDE EDITION Packaging Department)UT got a new logo & a New Owner...but the same old people in the management...same old dirty tricks..with no job description...their policy changes everyday...every year you have a rebidding process and renew your employment status and still you are a temporary/partime with no benefits even though you spent two decades or more of your life time you are nothing, you are not their biggest asset, we the ordinary worker...NO RESPECT...actually they don't need to have a scoop news...this is a FRONTPAGE HEADLINE NEWS! Unsafe...unhealthy & uncomfortable...it is getting worst and worst! A lot of unfair labor practices...taking advantage of this people try to make a living especially now...THIS IS A MODERN SLAVERY! IT IS A HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT...more work for less money...so it is less than minimum wage! So "How can you live, build a strong & healthy community of San Diego?" as one of their first moral values....I just say HA-HA-HA and more (LOL!!!)NO LOGIC!