The ride arrived in the West from New York in 1910. The operator of Coronado's seasonal Tent City bought it from an L.A. owner soon after. Some say the carousel was moved between the Tent City and Balboa Park during the '10s and 1922, when its permanent home became Balboa Park.
In 1993, longtime owner Virginia Long mentioned how the carved horses' tails at one time were salvaged from the zoo's dead horses (used to feed animals). "But then the zoo started buying frozen horse meat."
To order this photo please contact the San Diego Historical Society at [email protected]