One Monday morning last month, I found that my car, parked on Third Avenue in Hillcrest, had been broken into and my $400 video iPod was gone. After filing a police incident report, I called 800-MY-APPLE to report the theft. An Apple service representative named David took my serial number and opened a case, but then he told me, "There's nothing really that this will do."

I decided to research stolen iPods online. I found J. Alain Ferry's website, StoleniPods.com. On it, Ferry suggests that there is something Apple could do. "Apple maintains records of stolen iPod serial numbers," the website reads. "Apple's iTunes software records the serial number of the last connected iPod. Apple sells songs to people that enter their billing information into the iTunes software. So why isn't Apple doing anything to prevent the sale of songs to the person with YOUR stolen iPod?"

A recent graduate of Suffolk University Law School in Boston, Ferry started the site in May after losing an iPod. He'd been traveling from Detroit to Boston when an iPod he'd borrowed was stolen from his laptop-computer bag. Ferry had also called Apple and been disappointed. "I guess I assumed Apple would help," he said.

Ferry had hoped that Apple would refuse iTunes service to his stolen iPod. He knew that Apple tracked iPods because, he says, "iTunes recommends songs through the serial numbers of the last iPod connected" to a computer.

Doing business with customers possessing stolen iPods is illegal, Ferry thinks. "It's aiding and abetting in a crime." He points out that cell phone companies are responsive to customers whose phones are stolen, deactivating the phones so they can't be used.

Apple maintains that it won't service an iPod that it knows has been stolen. But to know that the iPod has been stolen, the service rep would have to run the serial number, and that isn't routinely done.

Ted Hekman, an IT developer for a Los Angeles-based online ad revenue company, suggests another step Apple could take. "Because iTunes has an e-mail address and credit card information," Hekman says, "Apple could use that information to track people down who use stolen iPods -- or even charge them."

Furthermore, asserts Hekman, "Apple could go so far as to mess up an iPod internally, making it useless." But he admits that "a savvy computer person could bypass even that; you can reload a hard drive to make it work again."

Apple could track stolen iPods, but it doesn't want to, says Nate Glucksman, an Apple employee at San Diego State University's bookstore. "They don't monitor iPods," he believes, "because it would be a lot of hassle for them." When asked what he would do if his iPod were stolen, Glucksman said he would report the missing iPod and "I'd buy another one. If the reported stolen one were recovered, it'd make a good present."

An anti-Big Brother attitude runs through the technological community. On the Forum section of AppleInsider.com, a site devoted to Apple news and sales, the majority of members were against the idea of Apple's tracking iPod use. A member-user named "Ebby" had the idea of checking iPods and iTunes accounts against a list of stolen iPods but later argued, "It is when you store information on a user, tie it to an account, or can gather other information by the frequency of iPod use...that's when my problems arise." Ebby concluded, "The level of stuff they have to do to start cracking down would scare me, and I wouldn't get involved."

Apple's profits have been closely linked to the sales of iPods and songs. In October 2005, BBC News reported, "Apple has quadrupled its quarterly profits, thanks to global sales of more than 6.5 million of its iPod music players over the past three months." And in January 2006, according to the Washington Post, Apple cofounder Steve Jobs said in his opening speech at the Macworld Conference and Expo in San Francisco, "We've sold over 42 million iPods." He also said that the iTunes Music Store had sold 850 million copies of songs. The New York Times reported in January that "Apple music sales now account for 59 percent of the company's total sales."

Ferry hopes that Apple's decision not to track stolen iPods doesn't have to do with the fact that the more iPods that are stolen, the more iTunes users buy songs and the more victims buy replacement iPods. "I hope it's not about the bottom line," he says. "I have a lot of respect for Steve Jobs.

"By May, something like 50 million iPods were sold," continues Ferry. "I think Apple should take a little money and create a unit of prevention for iPod theft. Apple needs to step up to the plate and create a program. It's business negligence, not doing anything when they could."

In the past, when music executives pressured Steve Jobs to charge more than 99 cents for iTunes songs, Jobs acted as an advocate for customers and called music executives "greedy." According to a September BBC News article, "Mr. Jobs vowed to resist such pressure, after revealing that music firms were pushing for higher prices on Apple's iTunes Internet music store."

Ferry says he's had an "overwhelming response" to StoleniPods.com, receiving "well over a thousand e-mails" from people who filled out his mailing-list form. "Only one said, 'Stop whining.' Some are crazy. They say, 'My iPod is my life' or 'I'm lost without my iPod.' "

Ferry isn't sure what he'll do with all the names, addresses, and phone numbers he's accumulated. "I want to start some kind of program or petition and create exposure through the website," he says. But if Apple can't find an innovative way to assist victims of stolen iPods, Ferry says he may take legal action. "I'm considering the possibility of talking to those people who e-mailed me about a class-action lawsuit."

The police officer who took my incident report had no advice on how I could get my iPod back. He recommended theft prevention and offered a tip. When you put your iPod out of sight in your car, put the charger out of sight too.

Comments

blackrabbit June 25, 2008 @ 6:32 p.m.

What are you on? Drugs? Why SHOULD Apple care if your iPod is stolen? Even in the article the guy "borrowed" an iPod from a friend. Should that be bricked if he plugs it in to a computer?

An iTunes account and an iPod are two different things. Even if someone copies your music back from your stolen iPod to a computer, they will still need to authorize the machine to play the music - and they won't have your password.

If your car is stolen does the manufacturer hobble it so the thief can't put gas in it?

If you're too stupid to have your iPod stolen you don't deserve one.

eliemartin July 29, 2008 @ 6:44 a.m.

Sounds like blackrabbit is the kind of person who might steal your ipod.

I agree that it is unfortunate that apple doesn't step up and help out in this matter. I had my purse stolen, and through no fault of my own, now no longer have my new $500 ipod touch. It kills me that there is nothing I can do about it and some thief has probably wiped my music, and is listening to his songs on my expensive ipod. I can cancel my credit cards and get just about everything else replaced somewhat easily, but the ipod unfortunately, I can't afford to replace.

thevinny Sept. 17, 2008 @ 8:05 p.m.

actually car companies do make it so your cars don't work after their stolen ever heard of onstar (GM)vehicles report your car stolen and it shuts down

brucemlloyd Nov. 18, 2008 @ 4:28 p.m.

YOU left YOUR iPod in YOUR car and it was stolen and you want to blame Apple? Are you serious?

Blackrabbit is right — iTunes and iPods are two totally different things. This argument has been around for ages — back when the Walkman was popular people would complain that theirs was stolen and who is stopping the crooks from buying audio cassettes? What about someone stealing Sony Discmans? Does FYE stop people and ask for proof–of–purchase before selling CDs?

Apple doesn't need to look after your iPod. If you say you spent 400$ on it, you'd think you'd take care of it.

emsayshey Nov. 18, 2008 @ 8:57 p.m.

i just have to say that even if it was negligence that got your ipod stolen, in a car or bag or whatever, the SAME WAY a phone gets stolen, the phone company does something about it. i mean, they could probably trace phone calls & find out who has it, but they just disable it. apple could do something small, not have to recover every stolen ipod, but refuse to sell songs to that serial number. i still think those who have the power to do something have the responsibility to do something.

kimyoufox Nov. 23, 2008 @ 11:20 p.m.

First off I just would like to state that Apple is not responsible in any way for lost or stolen Apple products. Even if you have the AppleCare Protection Plan, which is the extended warranty for Apple products, it does not cover lost, stolen or accidental damage. If you want to know more about this you can visit http://www.apple.com/legal/applecare/appgeos.html for more details on the AppleCare coverage as well as the current hardware warranty that comes with the computer. Apple also currently does not have a system setup for flagging stolen apple products at all which is clearly stated in article HT2526: "How to report a lost or stolen Apple product". This article can be found in the Apple KnowledgeBase at http://www.apple.com/support. With all that being said, the Apple ID has no part or play in your Apple products. Yes it has your history with Apple on purchases you have made but it does not track them. You also don't need to have a Apple product to create an Apple ID. The Apple ID is what is used to purchase songs on iTunes, products on the Apple Store Online, or Apple Photo Services. What you are asking for is to limit access to the iTunes Store to only people with either an Apple computer or a iPod which would cause Apple to lose millions of dollars of revenue from none Apple users that just want to download some music or movies or whatever. If you review articles HT2204 iTunes Store: "About Apple ID" and HT2731: "How to setup an iTunes account", you will notice that not once does it state you have to have a Apple product to create these accounts. So the Apple ID and the iPod serial number are not tied together in anyway shape or form. The Apple Store does sell a product that is only available for portable computers, which is Lojack. This can be found at the following link http://store.apple.com/us/product/TS294LL/A.

Booknose Jan. 9, 2009 @ 9:20 a.m.

After my nephew and my brother both had their ipod's stolen. Which, yes I admit was careless on their parts, as I told my 10 year old nephew, owning a high priced item such as an Ipod, PSP or any of these other expensive gadgets that kids are always asking for, requires a certain level of responsibility on the owners part. You have to take precautions, such as not leaving it in the car, or laying around in a house where many people are coming and going, such as during a party or at someone else's home. However, some of you people act as if, people who have their ipod stolen, were just asking for it and deserve to have it stolen for their irresponsibility. Thieves are everywhere, just waiting for the opportunity to snag your favorite gadgets, I don't think that is the fault of every gadget owner.. It's just that kind of world where some jerks are always on the make, and you never know who they are, they might be a friend or a friend of a friend who thinks that since you have such expensive toys, you can afford to replace them. Since I had to replace my nephews ipod, I can attest that he did not have the money for a new one, neither did I but what can I say, I'm a sucker for a crying kid. Anyway, after this happened, I researched online and found a couple of options to protect Ipod and Iphone users from having their items stolen or to possible recover them if they are. The new Iphones and the Ipod touches are eligible for a free app called Gadget Track, it's approved by apple and available on the apple app's site or at http://www.gadgettrak.com/products/iphone/ It is a high tech tracking program which uses the gps in your phone or ipod touch to not only show you where your ipod is but may use the theif's own computer to track him down and even take a picture of him from his computer if a webcam is available. Cool, huh? There are also options, less inventive and high tech but useful nonetheless for regular ipod owners, Gadget Track also offers software that will track your device once it's plugged into an USB port and this works for any USB device that you need to track. You can then provide this info to the police to recover your item, or get your baseball bat and go take care of it the old fashioned way.. Also, you can order stickers from the company that you put on your gadgets to notify all who may be thinking of stealing them that the item is trackable, which may be the best preventive measure of all. Unless of course the theif just plans to sell the item to someone else right away, in which case you may be tracking a completely innocent individual who just unknowingly bought a stolen ipod.

asobass Feb. 15, 2009 @ 6:53 a.m.

I do not and never hope to understand the "blame the victim" mentality. I am a teacher and my Ipod was stolen from my classroom, where I was using it to play language audio examples for my students. One could argue that I should have kept it in my pocket every moment it wasn't being used, but that's not the point- it's the one who stole it who's guilty! According to one argument I just read, I don't even deserve to own an Ipod! How dare you, you ignorant, self-righteous a--h---? According to your argument, nothing I own should ever be left unattended, even in a locked car, apartment or house, under the assumption that, if I am not looking after it directly at all times, I deserve to have it stolen. What a sad commentary on our so-called culture.

I don't believe that anyone writing has claimed that Apple is somehow responsible for the theft of Apple merchandise. The point is simply that the technology already exists, with no major effort on Apple's part, to create a database for people to report stolen Ipods. When the stolen Ipod is used to access Itunes or is registered to another computer, Apple could very easily match the serial number with known stolen ones and provide that information back to the rightful owner. It would then be up to that person to go about reporting, prosecuting or whatever they want to do with the information. No hassle for Apple whatsoever and no one's privacy would be compromised because it would apply only to units that are known to be stolen.

This is technological child's play to Apple and would be a huge benefit to ipod owners and a deterrent to theft. That simple. The fact that they don't already do this is a disappointment to me and diminishes my opinion of a company that has, up to now, had my utmost respect.

tstrudge Feb. 25, 2009 @ 12:39 p.m.

blackrabit is an idiot they can track your car down he talks way to much stuff

ipodgeek Feb. 26, 2009 @ 9:45 a.m.

I assume with the same mentality that every gas station should make you enter your VIN# to make sure it’s truly yours before you fill up with gas. We should also make the cable companies track a signal from every TV to make sure none of those were stolen either. Phone companies and CC companies care about stole devices/cards because it directly costs them money. A stolen Ipod does not cost Apple money. ( I will assume those who stole an ipod, have no means of buying their own.) Its not Apples job to track your stuff, it’s yours. It sucks its stolen, its sucks people would steal, get over it.

SoulShadow July 18, 2009 @ 10:44 a.m.

I signed into this just so I could tell BlackRabbit that you are a jerk. Just because someone steals from you, doesn't make you undeserved of having or owning something. What an incredibly stupid thing to say. It's the thieves that should be undeserved, it's the thieves that should be stopped dead in their tracks. It's not a victim's fault that they were stolen from! As far as I'm concerned, NO, it's not Apple's responsibility. However, if they were smart they would offer protection to an individual in case of theft for a nominal fee, say at the time of purchase. They do have the ability to track if a thief is stupid enough to use the IPOD and purchase more songs online. Perhaps their ability to track the IPOD is even greater than we know, they just don't want to. So, in light of the fact that it would cost them money to provide such a service, perhaps they could create jobs and charge fees for it. In any event, I sure hope no one ever steals from you. I wouldn't want you to know what it feels like.

SHLD2005 Oct. 7, 2009 @ 7:30 a.m.

SoulShadow, you are an awesome individual for that last sentence.

What it comes down to is this: Apple could flag serial numbers for their products as stolen. If the stolen iPod comes into the store then they take it. This could cause a security problem (which costs money). Also, stolen iPods are USED. And if the person that loses the iPod/ has it stolen can afford to replace it, the are REPLACED. Thereby generating a second purchase (money) and further purchases of songs by TWO people - effectively doubling iTunes revenue.

long story short: MONEY.

Also, Tiffany's has serial numbers on their products. If the product is brought back to the store and was marked stolen, they take it from the individual. Also, I haven't verified this, but I had a friend that actually had three items returned from pawn shops to him. He said a tiffany rep found them there and checked the serial numbers and saw they were flagged as stolen. I would think this is a HUGE reason to buy from Tiffanys.

I do think some people are to blame and ignorant... but it doesn't change the fact that the other party is immoral and stealing a product/ not returning it. I have half a mind not to purchase an iPod because it generates this type of issue: it's a desireable product that generates theft, and is promoted by apples policy.

PistolPete Oct. 7, 2009 @ 8:58 a.m.

Who buys an I- for a 10 year old? O_o

PistolPete Oct. 7, 2009 @ 9 a.m.

Sorry. I don't know why that didn't show up. I meant ipod.

logan Nov. 11, 2009 @ 9:18 a.m.

I also wanted to address the gas station comment. Gas stations do not inherently check your VIN number as a normal part of doing business with you. The iPhone/iPod is automatically exchanging information with Apple's computers as a normal part of doing business with us. It is not asking much to do a little check to help out some loyal customers.

stolen_ipod Oct. 24, 2009 @ 11:35 p.m.

iPod theft is such a problem.

My company created a site to report a stolen iPod or any other piece of stolen property.

The website is http://www.stolen-property.com/

We hope it will allow victims to recover hundreds of stolen iPods.

SurfPuppy619 Oct. 25, 2009 @ 8:56 a.m.

Who buys an I- for a 10 year old? O_o

By PistolPete

The same parents who buy cell phones for their 8 year old, 3rd graders.

Think Im kidding? Virtually ALL school districts today-including K-6 elementary districts, have cell phone policies.

Unreal.

logan Nov. 11, 2009 @ 8:53 a.m.

My wife's iPod was stolen at the gym in UT. I hate thieves and would love to see this a**hole get it good.

Apple can track stolen iPods. I saw a show with Chris Hansen where they purposely had several iPods stolen and tracked by Apple to find the thieves so he could confront them. He also said on his show that they won't just do it for anybody.

I am a computer programmer. It would be very easy for Apple to correlate a stolen iPod serial number to the new location of where it is being used. Privacy advocates don't have anything to worry about because it would only involve searching on stolen iPods that have been reported to Apple. It is very easy as follows with psuedo code:

iPod connected to system theft_check()

theft_check() { get serialnnum if (serialnum in list of stolen serialnums) { get ipaddress of current location email original owner who reported their iPod stolen with ipaddress and other information of thief } }

That's all there is to it. The owner can then go to the police with the information and get their iPod back. To do this would take less than 100 lines of code, and the fact that Apple was able to do it for Chris Hansen shows that they know all of the data points they need to put this together. I bet that this would significantly reduce iPod theft in the first place... just knowing that it is being tracked and people are being busted. To do nothing is irresponsible when you have the means.

dub4theworld Dec. 26, 2009 @ 1:47 a.m.

In my case, my ipod was stolen from my locked car parked in front of my house in the middle of the night. It was a 2nd Gen. Nano; probably $40 bucks on craigslist. That's not the issue. The issue is that somebody who breaks into a car in the middle of the night and gets away with it is likely to have done it before and to do it again. Smash and grab theft from cars is amateur. Need proof? I had a brand new pair of $100 sunglasses sitting right next to the ipod, but because they were in a black cloth bag, they were over-looked.

I understand the argument against carelessness. You learn your lesson and move on. Hopefully your more careful next time. What about me? Was I careless to park my car in front of my house with something of any value in it? Maybe, but is that really the kind of world you want to live in if it can be easily corrected and eventually discouraged? It is not all the time that such a simple solution is available to a particular type of crime. Would it be better if I bought a silent car alarm, and was now almost hoping for another break-in so I could walk outside with my paint-ball gun and stun baton? With Apples position on this issue, what other choice do I have?

kpunicorn April 5, 2010 @ 11:41 a.m.

My $200 iPod touch was stolen from a table near the door at my middle school. I was 2 feet away from it so whoever stole it was a pro to go so unnoticed.

kpunicorn April 5, 2010 @ 11:45 a.m.

Blackrabbit,

You go on saying that until you get your iPod stolen then we'll see how you feel. Don't go bitching about it.

kpunicorn April 5, 2010 @ 11:49 a.m.

You go SoulShadow, that's the only reason I signed up too.

rhumen April 15, 2010 @ 7:23 a.m.

but what about not stolen but lost! should people who lose their iPod and report it stolen be restricted access from using a found iPod? that seems ridiculous to me.

and the only reason that cell phone companies disable the phone is to stop the new user from costing the old user minutes... SIM cards stop that... if i find a phone on the ground, i can pop in my SIM card and no one can stop me...

jswmm1 June 10, 2010 @ 12:26 a.m.

If you think that Apple does not have the technology to track an Ipod as it is plugged into a machine, your crazy, especially if that machine is connected to the internet, hell even if its not directly connected when your downloading they could find it. I'm not even talking about IP addresses, I'm talking billing addresses, stay with me. Case in point. If you have not had your ipod stolen, perform the following with your Ipod disconnected, if it has been stolen, you obviously wont be connecteing it. Open Itunes. Click on Help. Click on Run Diagnostics. Unclick Network Connectivity and CD/DVD Drive Test, Leaving Ipod/Iphone Connectivity and Sync Tests selected. Click next 5 times regardless of what the information box tells you about your Ipod/Iphone not being connected (its stolen, of course its not connected). In this dialog box you will see your ITUNES, I repeat and say again, ITUNES serial number. That serial number is associated with your ITUNES account and any computer authorized to access your ITUNES account (which you authorized) as well as your credit card billing information. Get that?, billing address. Now scroll all the way to the bottom, and three lines from the bottom, the box will tell you the serial number of the last Ipod/Iphone to have been plugged into that computer. It is at this point you should realize that ITUNES identifies the last Ipod to be associated with this account. Even if you didn't buy anything, Itunes identifies the last Ipod serial number to be associated with your ITUNES serial number so that the next time you connect to the internet, ITUNES says "Hey Apple, this was the last Ipod connected to this Itunes account." "Well I have the solution" you say. I'll just leave the Ipod disconnected, download the music I want, and then close my internet connection when syncing, then disconnect the Ipod so that it doesn't connect to the internet. You would be partly right, except the next time you go on Itunes, you will automatically be telling Itunes, via your Itunes serial number associated with your account, "Hey guess what, this stolen IPOD was the last device associated with my ITUNES account/serial number." Apple protects your account information like your credit card number from getting stolen because stealing is wrong, yet when it comes to someone using a stolen Ipod, they overlook it so that they can sell more devices and media. Sounds like obstruction and or aiding and abbeting.

dadadada July 19, 2010 @ 7:49 p.m.

SoulShadow, I agree with you completely, except on one point. I WOULD want someone to steal from blackrabbit, in fact there's almost nothing I want more, because maybe then he'd keep his damn mouth shut.

jippy404 July 23, 2010 @ 12:12 p.m.

Blackrabbit it is no good brainless DUMBASS!!! because some JERK stole my iPod i don't deserve to have one? NO the JERK that stole my iPod doesn't deserve to have one!!!

allichan Feb. 13, 2011 @ 11:41 a.m.

Okay so, I am 99% sure I know who has stolen my iPod. These are my reasons for knowing she has it: 1) my friend overheard her talking about taking my iPod. 2) Someone who has classes with her knows she lost her own iPod touch(hers is a 3rd generation, mine is a 4th). 3) Her parents would be really mad that she lost hers(mine are too). With these 3 factors working against her, and nothing to prove her innocence, is it still possible she might not have it? Also, i agree, apple should give us some way to track our lost iPods!

girlinturquoise May 1, 2011 @ 3:26 p.m.

I had my ipod Touch 3G stolen about 2 months back. While I respect the opinion of the people on the side that Apple has no responsibility to find the general public's stolen property, I disagree that they have no responsibility to it. If they have the means, and the capability, then they should be doing whatever they can. It would take little effort on their part, and little money. My brother is a computer programmer, and I know that it would simply take a bot in the itunes database that checks the list of serial numbers of people purchasing from itunes against the list of serial numbers of people with reported stolen ipods. The bot would do all the work, the customers would reap all the benefits. It would be a good deal to all involved, as it would boost people's opinion of Apple. If it had been done, I might have stood a chance of recovering my ipod when it was practically stolen right from under me. It was dead, I had set it on the table next to me. I turned around for a minute to ask someone a question, I turned back around, and it was gone. There is nothing about that that makes it my fault. So the idea that someone's saying I don't DESERVE something I paid a lot of money for that was taken through no fault of my own is a little unsettling, and very angering. The fact of the matter is, Apple can do something, so they should. We can't, so we can't be blamed.

tm15963 May 16, 2011 @ 10:01 p.m.

Quiet honestly, I signed up for an account to respond to the preposterous claims some of you are saying. First of all, yes , I have gotten my iPod and along with my iPhone stolen, right out of my backpack. I keep excellent eye on every one of my items. It was just unfortunate that I was a victim to a phenomenal pickpocket. But... even though I have gotten my stuff stolen, I don't go about sulking like a b****. I don't paint every forum wall with my woes and how it isn't fair. Why this, why that ? We all get our stuff stolen. Its a fact. Learn from your mistakes and carry on. I put my iPod in my front pocket now.

maxalan June 30, 2011 @ 6:45 p.m.

Very interesting comments from all, and this all started in 2006. In the auto industry, when you stole a factory stereo, it became nonfunctional. Apple should support it's users by allowing the purchaser to log onto their Itunes account or online accounts, and disable the ability for he Ipod to function. I would pay a registry fee for the service, as well as a fee to transfer ownership. Is it Apples fault? No. Is it always the victims fault it is stolen? No. There will always be those less fortunate that will only own one, if you want to call it owning one, if they steal one.

Bad_Robot July 16, 2011 @ 2:43 p.m.

Stolen Lost Found Online - http://www.stolenlostfound.net/ - is a cool website to report a stolen iPod on. It will appear on Google, etc. immediately so if anyone searches it by serial number it will come up as stolen. I got my stolen iPod back from using the website!

joonior7 Oct. 18, 2011 @ 4:02 p.m.

lol blackrabbit is a common douche, what if you get beat with a gun for your ipod, or just got in a scuffle and someone just snatched it. blackrabbit stfu. And all you people nut hugging blackrabbit can suck it to. Yea apple isn't too blame, but they are to blame for not having a theft department, or atleast blacklisting the damn devices (which would disable most features). "Oh but why should they do that it's your fault"
Apple makes lots of money on all the strangest apps and music there is out there. my point is, theyre making money. So why is it that Barnes & Noble, who i'm sure does not sell nooks like ipods. If you call them, you can blacklist your item by giving them the serial number, or just get it off your box, They will block most features on it (after verification of course). As to tracking it, I don't know.
Negligence and a company full of greedy fuks is what's preventing this department. "ipods have a find me app", yea, but what's never mentioned on the websites promoting this as a GREAT feature, fail to mention that it's a useless p.o.s since u can turn off the find me feature from the ipod.... how is that supposed to help?? Please quit being ignorant and talking out of ur smelly hole, Apple can find your devices. but the big bear doesn't give a rats A* for the lesser.

joshua1234 March 29, 2012 @ 7:30 p.m.

my ipod was just stolen and what i dont get is the its the 4g wich has gps hold on GPS wich is a navagation system and it uses satalite wich means it ha to no where ur i pod is or u wouldent be able to get the drictions you need or how long its going to o eah and pull up where the hell you live but apple cant track down ipods get real its pretty messed up

tomjohnston March 29, 2012 @ 11:40 p.m.

I assume you mean the 4th gen ipod touch. It doesn't have a gps chip. As long as you're within range of a usable WiFi signal, you can use real-time mapping, and get turn-by-turn directions from point A to point B. But when it's out of range of WiFi, it's not able to pull down data.

G_Griffith_1982 May 19, 2012 @ 12:30 p.m.

Here's a great resource I found to report a stolen iPod online: http://www.stolenlostfound.org/ It's free to both search and report a stolen iPod and lost & found iPods, after posting my stolen iPod report appeared on Google the next day! Hope this helps

KG_1985 Aug. 6, 2012 @ 5:05 p.m.

Hello everyone,

I am so sorry about all of your items being stolen no one deserves that. I just wanted to let you guys know that on your ipods you have that ICLOUD app and hopefuly if you signed up with it I believe you can track your ipod using ICLOUD. You can go to https://www.icloud.com/ and then click on find my iphone. Then it will ask you to login. ALSO, WHAT I DID WAS I CLICKED ON LOCK DEVICE. So that the second someone goes online with your IPOD/IPHONE, it locks it up! And no one can unlock it without entering the passcode you choose while on ICLOUD. I hope I could help just a little bit. Good luck everyone! I say that if you have to part with it AT LEAST TRY TO MAKE IT SO NO ONE ELSE CAN USE IT! XoXo <3