San Diego The county Civil Service Commission is seeking to investigate former district attorney Paul Pfingst for the last-minute promotion of prosecutors who supported him instead of Bonnie Dumanis. How many prosecutors were promoted?
2. Oakland Raiders managing partner Al Davis was once an assistant coach for which football team?
A. The Chargers
B. The Chiefs
C. The Packers
D. The Rams
3. Although the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have never appeared in the Super Bowl before this year, they did make it to the NFC Championship Game in 1979 and 1999, losing each time to the same franchise. That team was:
A. The 49ers
B. The Vikings
C. The Cowboys
D. The Rams
4. The San Diego County Water Authority had a tentative deal to purchase Colorado River water not being used by Imperial Valley farmers. The last-minute deal was stopped by which three groups?
A. The Metropolitan, Coachella, and Fresno water districts
B. The Metropolitan and Coachella water districts and the Department of the Interior
C. The Department of the Interior and the Coachella and Imperial water districts
D. The Imperial, Coachella, and Metropolitan water districts
5. Which popular African-American told black people on Martin Luther King, Jr's Birthday that they should not seek a charismatic leader to follow but work together to solve their problems?
A. Louis Farrakhan
B. Al Sharpton
C. Jesse Jackson
D. Coretta Scott King
6. Before this year, San Diego last hosted a Super Bowl in what year?
7. In 2002 Tim Russert reported that approximately how many Catholic priests in the U.S. were accused of sexual abuse?
8. The CEO of a local company was awarded a 35 percent pay raise and almost a doubling of stock options for that company's 2002 fiscal year, for an annual compensation of $1.2 million. The local company was:
B. Jack In The Box
C. Peregrine Systems
D. Jenny Craig
9. January 22 marked the 30th anniversary of the U.S. Supreme Court's controversial Roe vs. Wade decision. Which Supreme Court justice authored the majority opinion in the case?
A. Potter Stewart
B. Harry Blackmun
C. Byron White
D. William O. Douglas
10. Since the 1973 Roe vs. Wade decision, approximately how many legal abortions have been performed in the United States?
A. 1 million
B. 10 million
C. 25 million
D. 40 million
11. The median home price for San Diego County rose 20.5 percent in 2002. The median home price for 2002 was:
12. A recent study in Sweden found that which popular vitamin supplement is directly linked to weakened bones and a heightened risk of fractures?
A. Vitamin C
B. Vitamin B
C. Vitamin A
D. Vitamin E
13. The Padres announced that their new stadium will be called Petco Park. Over the next 22 years, how much will Petco pay for the naming rights?
A. $22 million
B. $60 million
C. $35 million
D. $100 million
14. On January 24, Democrats in the U.S. Senate offered an alternative to President Bush's economic stimulus package. Part of their plan includes a rebate check for each taxpayer. How much is the Democrats' proposed rebate?
15. According to the National Highway Safety Administration, the number of motorcycle fatalities rose nationwide by how much since 1997?
A. There has actually been a reduction of motorcycle fatalities because of helmet laws
B. 10 percent
C. 50 percent
D. 100 percent
16. Which airline recently announced the elimination of another 704 jobs effective February 22?
17. The San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) and the San Diego Police Department cannot agree about the local serious-crime rate for 2002. One group claims that the percentage of serious crimes per thousand dropped, while another claims that it increased. Specifically:
A. SANDAG claims that the population decreased and the crime rate increased
B. SANDAG claims that the population increased and the crime rate increased
C. The police department claims that the population decreased and the crime rate increased
D. The police department claims that the population increased and the crime rate increased
18. Which Iraqi official said that he feared war was inevitable?
A. Saddam Hussein
B. Tariq Azziz
C. Mohammed El Baradai
D. Amir al-Saadi
19. Puma brand athletic shoes are making a comeback after years of languishing sales. Puma's founder was the brother of the founder of which other athletic shoe company?