• Story alerts
  • Letter to Editor
  • Pin it

"I asked him where it happened. It actually happened in the kitchen sink, but he took me in the bathroom, and I was looking to see if there was any dye. Then I went back, and its skin was starting to flake off, and I realized, 'This baby has just been boiled alive!' One of our guys was really upset by that, and we had to get some special counseling for him.

"One Thanksgiving, over at Station 11, back in the early '80s, there was a fire in a house, and two little girls burned up. Mom was in one part of the house and she got out safe, but by the time we got to them, they were burned. That's the hardest thing, children. I've seen them burned past recognition, boiled in water... I had one out here on Imperial, a kid who laid down in the street and a car ran over his head. When I got there, the kid was still gasping, and I had to intubate him, but his head had a cubiform fracture -- a skull fracture. We kept him alive all the way to Children's Hospital, but I'm sure he probably became an organ donor. At first, I thought okay, it's not too bad, but when I saw the fracture...kids have to be the worst."

  • Story alerts
  • Letter to Editor
  • Pin it

More from SDReader

Comments

Sign in to comment

Join our
newsletter list

Enter to win $25 at Broken Yolk Cafe

Each newsletter subscription
means another chance to win!

Close