Doctor Armando Solorio
Second floor,
Madero building,
#1-204 Callejón El Travieso
(Mischief Lane), off 2nd Street, between Revolución and Constitución
011-526-685-9086

Because he has this wonderful address, "Mischief Lane." Because he's been in practice in the same spot for 25 years. Because the local restaurant owners say he is the best. Because he has clean offices. Because he rips out all his instruments from sealed, sterilized packages. Because he wears rubber gloves and a mask. Because he speaks good English. Because he's an orthodontist and a dental surgeon. Because he charges $15 to glue back a tooth that's pulled off its post, $25 for a filling, $150 for a crown, $100 to $180 for a root canal. Because he's open on Sundays. Because between customers in the afternoon, he'll happily take his siesta in one of his own chairs. Because you can hear all of life going on outside his second-floor windows, from meetings in Plaza Santa Cecilia to music from the nearby bars. Because he's a charming fellow who can tell you all about the old and new Tijuana as he drills and fills. And because it's only half a block from his office back to the action on Revolución.

Sponsor Partners

Comments

SDaniels Jan. 20, 2010 @ 6:35 p.m.

refried, do you know if this is true?

Also, what's the deal with these old "Most Emailed?" "Most Emailed," yet zero online comments?...

David Dodd Jan. 20, 2010 @ 7:46 p.m.

I don't know anything about him. There are a lot of dentists in Tijuana, many much closer to where I live. The dentistry here is certainly much cheaper than in the U.S. and they are adequately skilled (one tourist confided in me that his regular dentist in the States remarked about what wonderful work was done on one of the tourist's crowns - it was done in Tijuana).

However, this article is now over nine years old and the tourist economy (including dentists) has taken a nosedive, so it is a marginal guess as to whether this particular dentist is even in business now at that location.

antigeekess Jan. 20, 2010 @ 8:02 p.m.

Well, I doubt that the prices are quite the same, but I'm still flying down to see him 2 weeks from today. :)

I first noticed this dentist being mentioned in this story, and then did a keyword search for him here at the Reader site, and found this old "Best Of:"

In fact, if you search "Solorio" on this site, you get a number of hits for him. Evidently a lot of San Diegans walk across the border to see him. And mention it on this site.

I think that people just email this to let their friends know about him. I mentioned it to today to my massage therapist, so the hit on it might even have come from up here.

However, the phone number above isn't quite right. I think it's 011-664-685-9086. Also, they've moved across the street. They tell me I can't miss it. We'll see.

antigeekess Feb. 2, 2010 @ 12:14 p.m.

Still left some digits out of the phone number above. The correct number for Dr. Solorio is 011-52-664-685-9086.

MsGrant Feb. 2, 2010 @ 9:17 p.m.

Are you in San Diego now? Let's all meet for a drink! Two weeks from your Jan. 20th post would set you down here tomorrow. I am leaving for 10 days on Friday. Two days to party on, Garth!

antigeekess Feb. 27, 2010 @ 11:51 p.m.

Sorry I missed you, Grantie!

Just wanted to post that I did eventually make it down to TJ to see Dr. Armando Solorio, and it was just great! Warm, funny, competent dentist (think Mexican version of Jackie Chan) who works in the same small office with his son Hector, also a dentist, and a Dr. Martinez, who's worked with him for many years. Their English is perfect, so no worries for the hopelessly monolingual, like me.

The office is probably typical of Tijuana -- everything you need, and nothing you don't. Fancy, it's not. The waiting room is tiny. The entire office is very clean, however, with Dr. Solorio doing things like showing the expiration dates on the injectable anesthetic he used, and cracking the seals on the vials right in front of me.

My two-digit-per-tooth price (fillings) included Spanish lessons while in the chair. Dr. Solorio's assistant brought a blanket and covered me up when I was chilly, and I got hugs from them both when I left. A terrific experience, and highly recommended.

I'll return within the next couple of months for some wisdom teeth extractions, and post a report here when the deed is done.

MsGrant Feb. 28, 2010 @ 3:24 p.m.

Sounds heavenly. Going to the dentist is like, well, a trip to the dentist. Lots of people go to TJ for dental work, and now I know why. Hugs and blankets?!? Bien!! My dentist, who admits he makes little money anymore on fillings, is always trying to steer me toward pricey treatments like deep-root cleaning. I tried it once, being scared by those secret numbers they call out to the technician when they are poking around your mouth, convinced I was going to be a toothless hillbilly if I did not submit to his suggestion. It was ghastly.

antigeekess Feb. 28, 2010 @ 6:55 p.m.

Yup, every filling I got was something that required a post and a crown, according to the dentist up here.

I know of a small, gated neighborhood up here -- only 20 homes or so --that consists of absolute mansions. Not two-story, upper middle class homes, but absolute MANSIONS. Mediterranean style, English Tudor, American Colonial, French country estates, etc., etc. Guess who inhabits several of them? DENTISTS. It's sickening. Like doctors, this is supposed to be a "helping profession" where the main concern is human well being, not exploiting every sucker that walks through your office door for the maximum amount of cash you can squeeze out of them and their family. I decided I'm not going to be one more chump that goes into thousands of dollars in debt to pay for their goddamn mansions.

Going to the dentist in the U.S. has become like going to a dishonest car mechanic who tries to extract money from your wallet by saying you need a lot of pricey services that you really don't. F**k 'em.

doug May 1, 2010 @ 9:11 a.m.

Ok I am sold I want to go check this guy out . I'm sure he is still there but just checking.