Garrett Harris 7 p.m., July 25
RIYL: Bob Magnusson, Gunnar Biggs, John Coltrane
Upcoming Local Shows
- "Lorraine Castellanos salutes Eydie at 98 Bottles" · Sept. 9, 2013
- "New Local Jazz Releases" · March 27, 2013
- "Geoffrey Keezer, Gilbert Castellanos, Rob Thorsen" · Nov. 24, 2012
- "Castellanos, White & Thorsen at the Westgate Hotel" · Oct. 20, 2012
- "Mimi Fox & Rob Thorsen at Jazz Live" · June 13, 2012
- Jam Session: "Thorsen Quartet Swings Spongebob Squarepants" · Aug. 3, 2011
- Jam Session: "Musician Profile" · May 29, 2011
Influences: Jaco Pastorius, Ron Carter, Stanley Clarke, John Coltrane, George Gershwin, Cole Porter
Jazz bassist Rob Thorsen says his mother always made sure their San Diego home rang with classical guitars and adventurous music. In early 2009, Thorsen was signed to Pacific Coast Jazz Records, who released his album Lasting Impression. Guest players on the album include Geoffrey Keezer and Josh Nelson (piano), Gilbert Castellanos (trumpet and flugelhorn), Ben Wendel (tenor sax and bassoon), Duncan Moore (drums), John Rekovics (alto flute), and Charlie Chavez (congas).
The diversity of these musicians strengthens his musical vision of creating a tapestry of sonic personalities and cultures through the music of recognized jazz greats (Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, George Gershwin, etc.), along with his own original compositions that echo the landscapes of Costa Rica.
The Rob Thorsen Trio (with Joshua White and Duncan Moore recorded the Rob Thorsen Trio Live in late 2012 at the acoustically sumptuous Athenaeum Library, though it wasn't originally meant for general release. “I just stuck a Zoom H2 out in front, sometimes when you know the red light is on, it kind of restricts the creativity,” Thorsen remembers. “When I actually listened to it about three months later, it captured that certain kind of go-for-it attitude. I've done four or five studio records, but no live ones, and I realized there was this special kind of energy happening.”