Robert Bush 9 a.m., April 19
Upcoming Local Shows
- "Phantom Feeling Groovy" · Sept. 11, 2013
- "Strange Stage Stories" · Sept. 3, 2013
- "Crawdaddys & Unknowns Reunion Shows: Casbah Sept. 2 and 3" · Aug. 27, 2011
- "Sounds of Sunset Strip" · July 20, 2011
- "Zero Plus 37 Equals 45" · April 13, 2006
Inception: San Diego, 2011
The Phantoms includes former Melanies mainman Victor Penalosa (guitar, vocals), Xavier Anaya (lead guitar), Chris Iandolo (bass), and Ed Masi (drums).
Previous Penalosa projects have included the Burrito Brothers, Sidewalk Scene, Riot Act, Unruly Bangs, Baja Bugs, Got it Covered, and ADD/C, as well as stints with the Zeros and the Shambles. In 2013, he joined Bay Area–based favorites the Flamin’ Groovies, who first emerged during the late 1960s with a string of their mid-’70s tunes such as “Shake Some Action” and “Jumpin in the Night,” now considered garage-rock classics. Penalosa’s first tour with the Flamin’ Groovies, which began in April, included a music festival in Australia as well as sold-out shows in Japan and San Francisco. He was asked to join full time following the tour.