Robert Bush 9 a.m., March 16
Bach Collegium San Diego
Upcoming Local Shows
- St. Brigid Catholic Church — Saturday, April 5, 7:30pm
- First Presbyterian Church — Sunday, April 6, 5pm
- St. James by-the-Sea Episcopal Church — Friday, May 30, 7:30pm
- San Diego History Center — Saturday, May 31, 7:30pm
- Crowne Plaza Hotel — Monday, July 14, 1pm
- Crowne Plaza Hotel — Tuesday, July 15, 1pm
- Crowne Plaza Hotel — Wednesday, July 16, 1pm
- Crowne Plaza Hotel — Thursday, July 17, 1pm
- Crowne Plaza Hotel — Friday, July 18, 1pm
- Crowne Plaza Hotel — Saturday, July 19, 1pm
- Crowne Plaza Hotel — Sunday, July 20, 1pm
Bach Collegium San Diego was founded in 2003 by Ruben Valenzuela with the purpose of presenting historically informed performances of music of the Renaissance and Baroque periods of history. The chorus consists of the finest singers in San Diego. Valenzuela, the music director, holds an M.A. in musicology from San Diego State University and in 2009 was a Ph.D. student at Claremont Graduate University.
Valenzuela conducted Orchestra Nova San Diego in its 2009 performances of Haydn’s Creation, and 2011 performances of Handel’s Messiah. As of 2013, Ruben was completing a PhD in Musicology at Claremont Graduate University where he was researching basso continuo practices in the New World. In addition to his duties with the BCSD, he has also served as Director of the Music and Organist of St. Peters Episcopal Church in Del Mar.
Their first collaboration with the SDSU University Chamber Choir, under the direction of Dr. Patrick Walders, took place February 7, 2014, at the History Center in Balboa Park. The program, the result of a mentoring course at SDSU's School of Music and Dance, included J.S. Bach and the Florilegium Portense.