Robbery suspect found hiding in bushes outside Sheriff station
Derrick Lewis was taken into custody by Sheriff’s deputies in Encinitas Monday afternoon after an attempted robbery gone wrong.
Lewis first attempted to rob an individual in front of a L.A. Fitness gym on the 200 block of S. El Camino Real. After the intended victim fought off his attacker, Lewis hopped into his car and “fled the scene at a high rate of speed,” according to Sgt. Patrick Shannon.
A bystander who witnessed the attempted robbery followed Lewis onto Mountain Vista Drive, where he soon crashed into another SUV at the corner of Wandering Road. After the wreck rendered his vehicle inoperable and left the suspect with a head laceration, he fled the scene on foot.
Lewis was found hiding in the bushes of an embankment just to the west of the Encinitas Sheriff’s Station a short while later and was taken into custody. Both he and the female driver of the SUV he struck were treated for non life- threatening injuries. Lewis now faces charges of attempted robbery and felony hit-and-run.
More like this:
- Brothers arrested for beating of cab driver in Encinitas — May 13, 2013
- Fugitive apprehended in Encinitas — April 11, 2013
- Car looters crash in Rancho Santa Fe — Oct. 12, 2012
- Lakeside Woman Arrested After Fight, SUV Used as Attempted Murder Weapon — June 7, 2012
- Dug in Deep — June 4, 2009