Scott Marks 2:05 p.m., May 23
Playas de Rosarito celebrating 128 years as a city
City to hold celebrations throughout the week
Playas de Rosarito, which lies approximately 20km southwest of Tijuana, is celebrating its 128th year as a city on May 14, 2013. The city will be holding events for the remainder of the week, highlighted by a festival on Saturday and Sunday.
Playas de Rosarito, which is often referred to solely as Rosarito, has gone through multiple stages as a community since its humble beginnings. The area was first settled by Spanish missionaries in the early 1800’s and later developed into a ranching community during the next 100 years. The city was officially founded in 1885, by rancher Don Joaquín Machado, when a land title was granted by President Porfirio Díaz.
More like this:
- Human head found in Rosarito — Jan. 4, 2013
- Baja & Border News Translations: Officials Promote "Rosarito Make It Yours"; Gas Station Robbery Thwarted — Dec. 15, 2012
- 200 Taxi drivers march in protest in Rosarito — July 24, 2012
- Mythbusters: Are there 14,000 expatriates living in Rosarito? — Jan. 23, 2012
- Border News Translations: Abandoned Gramps; Divorce Rates; Tacos & Beer; Preschool Math; 5000 Trees — May 31, 2011