• Despite drought conditions, a lot of San Diegans know to save for the rainy days.

Statistics show it: San Diego has a median household income that is moderately higher than the nation's, but the cost of living — particularly housing — is far higher than the national average. Locals call it "the squeeze."

So, you might expect that San Diegans go heavily into debt and struggle with their budgets. It doesn't seem to be true, according to a new study by WalletHub, an organization that computes statistics on states, cities, and metro areas. Its latest study is on budgeting.

The study considered such things as credit scores and debt usage. San Diego comes in 27th out of 150 metro areas. The top cities tend to be in cold Midwestern locations: Fargo, North Dakota; Sioux Falls, South Dakota; Rochester, Minnesota, and Minneapolis-St. Paul are the top four.

The worst budgeters are in hot locations, mostly in the South: Macon, Georgia; Columbus, Georgia; Gulfport, Mississippi; Las Vegas; Albany, Georgia, and Jackson, Mississippi are the six worst. In fact, of the worst 50 metro areas, almost all are in the South.

The study measures variables such as personal bankruptcy rate, foreclosure rate, credit usage, housing expenses as a percentage of median home price, and percentage of population spending more than they make. San Diego comes in 14th in spending and debt and 38th in saving.

Comments

shirleyberan April 21, 2015 @ 6:40 p.m.

So that might mean there is less revenge spending among married couples who hate each other, but I don't know.

Don Bauder April 21, 2015 @ 6:44 p.m.

shirleyberan: The study didn't touch specifically on that. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan April 21, 2015 @ 10:11 p.m.

My mother in-law from from Chicago raised him wrong. The nicest thing she ever did for me was to say SSI was my husband earning after. His dad George was vaudeville.

shirleyberan April 21, 2015 @ 10:24 p.m.

Don - sometimes I shouldn't say anything , I actually loved them all.

AlexClarke April 22, 2015 @ 9:29 a.m.

It seems that the southern states always come in at the bottom of the list in education, income, quality of life, healthcare and are at the top of the list in poverty, low wages, unemployment, welfare, homelessness, racism, etc. These Southern States are almost always under Republican leadership.

Don Bauder April 22, 2015 @ 11:02 a.m.

AlexClarke: Yes, but back when the "Solid South" was completely Democratic, the same problems prevailed, and were probably worse than they are now. Fifty to eighty years ago, Northerners who went south for some reason would come back saying the place was backward. Best, Don Bauder

AlexClarke April 22, 2015 @ 6:50 p.m.

True, true. I worked in Mississippi and never have a encountered more ignorant and racist people anywhere. I also worked in Texas and it was more of the same in the rural areas but not the metropolitan areas. I liked Austin the best. You can have the deep south.

Don Bauder April 23, 2015 @ 5:54 a.m.

AlexClarke: When the Civil Rights Act of 1964 passed, President Lyndon Johnson predicted that the Republican Party would take over the South, and it would last a long time. It happened, and there are no signs it is changing. Best, Don Bauder

Frederick Simson April 22, 2015 @ 5:18 p.m.

I wonder how the longevity of residence affects these numbers. Are new arrivals worse at budgeting than those of us with tenure since the housing cost hits them harder? I bought during the recession of the early 1990s after surviving the inflation during the Carter Administration, and the budget cuts of the Reagan Administration, as a renter. I remembered how cyclical the economy was, and have planned accordingly. I was always told that San Diego was a transient kind of place, but is that true? Apparently enough of us transplants put down roots to make it to the top 20% budget-wise.

Don Bauder April 23, 2015 @ 6:11 a.m.

Frederick Simson: If you count the uniformed military as part of the population, San Diego would certainly be more transient. The home ownership percentage is below 55, slightly lower than the California percentage. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan April 24, 2015 @ 5:50 p.m.

The nicest thing was that my mother didn't travel, have boyfriends, and I inherited a small property when I was 35ish. Without my husband, brother Ed would have stolen everything as the more deserving as a man and oldest. He was only son of four but stayed mentally 50's deushbag enforcing that we all need a man in charge. As in his professional life I barely escaped the man-hold.

Let’s Be Friends

Subscribe for local event alerts, concerts tickets, promotions and more from the San Diego Reader